Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

58 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

We will probably hear something in the budget tonight.

Yes, I think Govt is aware of pressure for announcement of a future date for Australians to be able to travel overseas and for foreign visitors to Australia.  

18 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't think we will hear firm dates for the opening of Australia's borders. It is an ever-evolving story as the situation changes.☹️

And most likely to be a slow and rolling border opening, country by country bubbles.

54 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't think we will hear firm dates for the opening of Australia's borders. It is an ever-evolving story as the situation changes.☹️

Any border opening is going to be dependent on the vaccine uptake. I think that when it gets to a point where all those that want it have got it (vaccination), then we may see opening up. And those that don't want the vax take the risk of their choice. That would also need to align with foreign visitor entry being allowed if they have evidence of full vaccination. Non vaxed can stay out. At this point we will have moved from pandemic to endemic, like flu.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RosieCanberra said:

I agree, there will be no set timeframes. Our Chief Minister, Andrew Barr, said at a press conference very early on in the piece (perhaps March 2020?) that we won't be travelling overseas 'for years'. 

What a coincidence.  We have politicians who think like that also.   Isn't it great we have politicians (USA) who know what is best for us?

• Like 1

A few days ago, the PM said that the International border will be closed indefinitely - regardless of the level of vaccination in Australia- until they get definite experience of how the vaccines cope with the new COVID variants. 

35 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

A few days ago, the PM said that the International border will be closed indefinitely - regardless of the level of vaccination in Australia- until they get definite experience of how the vaccines cope with the new COVID variants. 

Yeah, but ScoMo changes his mind every few days so who knows what will happen.

What is probably more important is how effective vaccination is at reducing the number of cases in other countries. I wonder what will be considered an acceptable number of daily cases?

4 hours ago, 1980dory said:

OK, Mic.  Let's cease the 'wise cracks'.

Mic's joke, ' a cracker.' lol. Perhaps even a Jatz Cracker.

Edited by NSWP

Mid next year or longer as we heard in the budget.

BUT hopefully we will get some ships here for domestic cruises by then.

The Cruise ban comes up in 5 weeks, they usually make a decision 3-4 weeks in advance.

I think we can expect another 3 months.

But It would be nice to sea a Carnival and a Royal ship coming in Sydney heads for test cruises.

Edited by Chiliburn

17 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

The Cruise ban comes up in 5 weeks, they usually make a decision 3-4 weeks in advance.

But It would be nice to sea a Carnival and a Royal ship coming in Sydney heads for test cruises.

Another three months will be unacceptable after announcement of mid 2022 for possible opening of borders.

30 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Another three months will be unacceptable after announcement of mid 2022 for possible opening of borders.

Do you not understand the meaning of the word "possible".

24 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Do you not understand the meaning of the word "possible".

I do, which is why I added possible.  I saw an interview with the Treasurer on the news this morning and he more or less said date next year isn't definite.  

22 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I do, which is why I added possible.  I saw an interview with the Treasurer on the news this morning and he more or less said date next year isn't definite.  

Later Treasurer said "It is an assumption, not policy".

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

I’m waiting for the next round of updates. Our Kimberley cruise is in August, I’ve thought they would start with small and go from there. I read an article where Ponant offered a 6 week quarantine process for all their crew to get the ships to Australia, unfortunately like scenic it may be a little to late, with a minimum 4 week process just to get the ships here.

34 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I think the time line is flexible but I can tell you now the major cruise ships are not going to be waiting for the government to confirm, they just won't be coming here for the summer.

I think the cruise line would take anything they can get .

But your right,they won’t be coming,at least not for the season they have planned.

We are booked on a HAL Australia circumnavigation cruise in December 2021 - we are on the southern segment of the cruise, leaving from Perth and docking in Sydney Dec 22.  After this it heads to NZ.  Although this cruise doesn't enter international waters, is it still unlikely to go ahead due to the ship having to travel here from another country?  Also a lot of the travellers booked on the cruise are from the US.  I'm not very hopeful of it going ahead.

1 minute ago, Jacaluke said:

We are booked on a HAL Australia circumnavigation cruise in December 2021 - we are on the southern segment of the cruise, leaving from Perth and docking in Sydney Dec 22.  After this it heads to NZ.  Although this cruise doesn't enter international waters, is it still unlikely to go ahead due to the ship having to travel here from another country?  Also a lot of the travellers booked on the cruise are from the US.  I'm not very hopeful of it going ahead.

Agree.  Mid 2022 seems to be earliest borders may open, so cruising would be after this date. 

I am sure that the access to the vaccine will improve fairly quickly, and so that will become less of a problem.

Two problems in achieving a high enough level of vaccination in our population are:

1. the negativity around the AZ vaccine

2. the reluctance of a significant number of people to have the jab (any variety). I am not talking about the crazy anti-vaxers here, but a much wider group. I personally know 2 people who work in hospitals, not in a medical capacity, but in admin, including having contact with the public, who have not & will not have the jab. One doesn't even believe that COVID is a problem as she hasn't seen anyone die from it! The other says she just won't have it. Both are cruisers.

Things are getting desperate in our household. SWMBO has asked me to look at Train to and from MELBOURNE, with a 4 or 5 night stay in a city hotel. The horrible thing is it is starting to look attractive to me.

• Like 3