Ruby Princess arrival yesterday IMPORTANT

pmcl

Disembarked from Ruby Thursday am, no health screening, bussed to Sydney Airport,  put on packed plane (~350 people--probably mostly Ruby passengers ) to San Francisco,  no health screening there, flown to Boston in almost empty plane, no screening there either.  Shocking! 

Received email and phone call from NSW health authorities advising us that some passengers on Ruby confirmed to have Covid-19; advised to contact health authorities at home.

• Like 2

There are not enough resources plain and simple....get people home!!!!

Was on the Panorama 3-7 in Long Beach when we were delayed one day for testing one passenger...do you think any pax on that ship with over 1000 children was going to say in that 24 hours of delay that they were feeling ill...

11 minutes ago, voljeep said:

I think Princess and others are just saying enough - not having Ruby be another Diamond … get the passengers off and let someone else deal with it 

Don't think it is Princesses call, with the Panorama in Long Beach, CA..it was local authorities that made the call,  it still took 12 hours before a negative resulted. We all spent another night on the ship. But that did not stop  the next cruise and last Panorama cruise pax from embarking they had an option and still probably over a 1000 were waiting to board when we the last group  disembarked.

Edited by land lover
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Pushka said:

I cannot believe we allowed this to happen. We are all trying to do our best as individuals and the authorities just let this happen. 

I also cannot believe that another Princess ship has been involved. There is something fundamentally wrong happening here. 

I agree.  Why  Princess ships ? Carnival and Holland are run by the same company.  Seven Corona virus deaths on Princess ships.  Are they managed differently from their other groups. What must they be doing different. It will be interesting to hear the root cause when the in-house investigation is complete. My guess is it will be a communication breakdown.

Edited by 2+2

4 hours ago, teamflames said:

Yep and the PM seemed to have no idea about it when asked at his press conference.
Border force apparently asked passengers to return to the ship and now they are trying to track them and ask them to self isolate.
Australia is so behind the curve on this. PM message today - I need you all to carry on ... while the rest of the world told we need you to stay home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yrs I saw the PM presenting his prepared speech yesterday oblivious to what was happening in real time.  I couldn't bare it, so had to walk away.  

From what I have been reading overseas, the UK PM is going to introduce a policy for over 70s to self isolate at home from this weekend.  I wonder when our PM is going to introduce the same.

In the meantime, I look at NZ and Canadian PMs - fellow Commonwealth leaders - with envy.  Fortunately, our State Leaders have risen to meet the occasion and have been impressive.  

3 hours ago, MFR said:

Disembarked from Ruby Thursday am, no health screening, bussed to Sydney Airport,  put on packed plane (~350 people--probably mostly Ruby passengers ) to San Francisco,  no health screening there, flown to Boston in almost empty plane, no screening there either.  Shocking! 

Received email and phone call from NSW health authorities advising us that some passengers on Ruby confirmed to have Covid-19; advised to contact health authorities at home.

No wonder this virus is spreading throughout the world so rapidly.  Did they tell you how many passengers on the ship were from overseas?

Sorry your cruise Down Under ended this way.  I hope you are virus free.  

No,  I don't know how many were from outside Australia.   

For clarification,  we were told on the ship that we should self-quarantine for 14 days.  I was just surprised that there was no screening on disembarkation or on entry to the US.  I did contact my doctor's office this morning as advised, and they were surprised by that also.  I have mild symptoms;  hopefully just a cold and nothing more. 

I also don't understand why Princess seems to be having the most cases.  Maybe other cruise lines aren't reporting them?   Our steward said he had to "sanitize" the surfaces in our room every day.   The buffet was still self-serve and we didn't eat there.  As usual there were crowds in the theater, atrium, tour busses, etc.  No way to practice social distancing on a cruise ship. 

Not good. We are "supposed" to be cruising Australia/New Zealand in November/December. Hopefully Australia will get a handle on this stuff whether the cruise happens or not. Here at home it's pretty surreal with business closed and empty shelves in the stores.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tbirfblue said:

WOW!    This new development on the Ruby may have just sealed the deal for our Alaskan cruise on May 23rd.   We have been going back and forth on whether to cancel our trip.    So, so sad! 

Canada has closed cruise ports until July 1st. By law, Alaskan cruises have to stop at 

a foreign port before returning to USA. Usually, it is Vancouver or Victoria, BC.

So, at this time, there are no Alaska cruises anyway.

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Not good. We are "supposed" to be cruising Australia/New Zealand in November/December. Hopefully Australia will get a handle on this stuff whether the cruise happens or not. Here at home it's pretty surreal with business closed and empty shelves in the stores.

Im hoping we will be in a better place than California. NSW and Qld seems problematic. And 80% of our cases have come directly from travellers bringing it here. 

9 hours ago, npcl said:

Miami did the same thing with an MCS ship with positive cases.

Which MSC ship?

I just came off the MSC Armonia in Miami and we had no cases on board.

Embarkation screening was tight. We were all thermally scanned before boarding. Any temperature over

99.5 F caused an alarm.

Everyone on board ship (crew and passengers) were healthy.

3 hours ago, nini said:

Canada has closed cruise ports until July 1st. By law, Alaskan cruises have to stop at 

a foreign port before returning to USA. Usually, it is Vancouver or Victoria, BC.

The problem right now is that the cruise itself has not been cancelled yet.  So if we need the cash back, either cancel now or”hope”for them to do it later and allow the money back not just a fcc.

1 hour ago, Schonert said:

The problem right now is that the cruise itself has not been cancelled yet.  So if we need the cash back, either cancel now or”hope”for them to do it later and allow the money back not just a fcc.

Suggest you cancel now and get your cash back and book again next year.   Takes away all the stress and gives you something pleasant to plan for next year. 

5 hours ago, nini said:

This may not be true. There is a thread on this subject. Canada's rule is no docking. Several of us have been on cruises where the ship pulled up, was by visited a navy or pilot boat, and then continued on.

8 hours ago, MFR said:

No,  I don't know how many were from outside Australia.   

For clarification,  we were told on the ship that we should self-quarantine for 14 days.  I was just surprised that there was no screening on disembarkation or on entry to the US.  I did contact my doctor's office this morning as advised, and they were surprised by that also.  I have mild symptoms;  hopefully just a cold and nothing more. 

I also don't understand why Princess seems to be having the most cases.  Maybe other cruise lines aren't reporting them?   Our steward said he had to "sanitize" the surfaces in our room every day.   The buffet was still self-serve and we didn't eat there.  As usual there were crowds in the theater, atrium, tour busses, etc.  No way to practice social distancing on a cruise ship. 

Sailed with you on the Ruby.  If I did not see something on the news this afternoon, I would know nothing about positive corona on the ship.  It is now almost midnight and no notification from Princess about this.  I too, was surprised how there was no testing (temperature taking) before going on or off the ship.  I spoke to my doctor today as well as called the corona crisis line and was told not eligible for testing without symptoms.  Of course, 30 hours at airport and flights from Sydney to New York, have us feeling exhausted.  We are now taking temps three times a day and quarantined much longer than 14 days.  Personally, I feel Princess shoved us off the ship to not be their responsibility and the Australian government allowed it to get us out of the country.  How else do you explain being disembarked before the test returned.

On 3/19/2020 at 11:00 PM, MMDown Under said:

Now 3 passengers and 1 crew.  I passenger has returned to Tasmania and 1 is in hospital.

Ruby Princess was required to give a full list of contact details within the hour.  The Government has sent out SMS messages trying to track all the passengers, who must all now self isolate. 

ABC News 

Obviously not to any Americans who were passengers...no contact from anyone.

On 3/19/2020 at 11:00 PM, MMDown Under said:

Now 3 passengers and 1 crew.  I passenger has returned to Tasmania and 1 is in hospital.

Ruby Princess was required to give a full list of contact details within the hour.  The Government has sent out SMS messages trying to track all the passengers, who must all now self isolate. 

ABC News 

11 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

There is a message on here from an American passenger who is now home who received an email message from NSW Health Department,

Were you a passenger on Ruby Princess?

Another 2 former passengers in Northern Territory have been confirmed to have the virus.  

6 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

There is a message on here from an American passenger who is now home who received an email message from NSW Health Department,

Were you a passenger on Ruby Princess?

Another 2 former passengers in Northern Territory have been confirmed to have the virus.  

Yes we docked Thursday...I just rechecked my texts and emails..no contact from anyone.  After seeing it on the news we contacted our doctors as well as corona crisis center.  Without symptoms we can not get tested.  We were quarantining anyway but should have been notified.