River Cruisers: How Are Things Where YOU Are?

Host Jazzbeau

I was worried that Ontario was going to waste the doses of AZ we have that expire on May 31, but this evening I was allowed to book, and I have an appointment for tomorrow for my second shot. I hope that we will not have to toss any vaccines.

On the local news, I saw pictures of people waiting outside in the VERY cold rain that we had today to get their second shots; I'm grateful that my pharmacy (not actually the one I use, but the one I had my first shot at) uses a booking system to avoid people lining up outside.

A few days ago we had 33 degree weather; today it was 4 degrees for much of the day. Not the weather to be standing around in.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Daisi said:

I think the main thing is, we have both Federal and Provincial Governments making the rules and no enforcement.  There was an American traveller last summer who was supposed to drive directly through from Alaska to the US, however he decided to stop in and tour around Banff Alberta.  They finally caught him, charged him (possibly jail sentence and most likely a large fine) however in December, they quietly dropped all punishments, so I'm interested to see how things go this year.

We have a similar situation with both state and federal governments involved, and in the case of my state, Victoria, the state government is Labour and the federal is Liberal, so there are lots of politics at play, and each blames the other.

Things would be a lot better if the feds ran everything, but the states don't like that.

We have the same situation with punishments, there have been thousands of fines dished out and to my knowledge, no-one pays them and nothing is done.  

No point making rules and not enforcing them.

• Like 1

Good morning.  I've been AWOL for a week or so.  On May 20 I had open heart surgery at Vanderbilt University Medical Center to replace my aortic valve.  I was 6-12 months away from having a fatal heart attack.  Surgery was a success and I returned home yesterday, May 27.  The one burning question I have for my surgeon at my post-op visit is will I be able to fly to Amsterdam this December for my Yuletide cruise.  That's all that matters, right? 

Off to catch up on postings.  In just one week the cruising landscape has changed significantly.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Roz said:

Good morning.  I've been AWOL for a week or so.  On May 20 I had open heart surgery at Vanderbilt University Medical Center to replace my aortic valve.  I was 6-12 months away from having a fatal heart attack.  Surgery was a success and I returned home yesterday, May 27.  The one burning question I have for my surgeon at my post-op visit is will I be able to fly to Amsterdam this December for my Yuletide cruise.  That's all that matters, right? 

Off to catch up on postings.  In just one week the cruising landscape has changed significantly.

Welcome back and I hope you recover quickly and fully.

• Like 1

Roz, welcome back;  you have a lot of posts and threads to read.  Yes things are starting to look bright as far as cruising is concerned.  You should be back on board in no time.  Cheers

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Roz said:

Wishing you nothing but the best, Roz!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Roz said:

Oh my goodness, Roz, first, welcome back but more importantly, how are you feeling? Glad the surgery was successful!👍 and let us know what the Dr says for sure! 

• Like 1

Thank you for all the well wishes.  I'm taking short walks, and can shower, dress myself, etc. without assistance so I'm on the right path.   Right now the biggest think is I tire easily.   The surgery itself was more uncomfortable than painful.  

@Roz got to read that surgery went well and you are on the mend. Home since yesterday and you are already back in touch here? Sounds like you have missed us 🙂. (Almost) Nothing like lifting your spirits with the prospect of river cruising. Take it easy, the warm Summer weeks will pass quickly and fresh air and sunshine will have helped your recovery.  Before you know it it will be Autumn and time to look at packing bags for your cruise. If flying is not recommended then there is always the ocean crossing ship. I am sure it will work out.

notamermaid

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Roz said:

Roz,

Tenzing and I wish you well.IMG_8809.thumb.JPG.3058c4f0c46cf5dac32a39658599a50d.JPG

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Roz said:

Welcome back - I have spent much in the cardiac unit at Vandy as well... Glad  to hear they took good care of you! I love my Vandy docs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Roz said:

Hi Roz,

Best Wishes for your recovery!  I am glad to hear things went smoothly.  As a cat lover (but sadly catless now) I enjoy your posts here and on the HAL boards.  You will be in great shape for your December cruise.

Karen

• Like 1

Glad to hear your good news, Roz!  You will surely be able to make that Christmas cruise, and the delay between now and then will spare you worrying about 'on again off again' cruise restart news this summer – so you can concentrate on your recovery.  🙏

• Like 1

On 5/28/2021 at 12:24 PM, Canal archive said:

Fantastic have a really good day and I hope all goes well.

On 5/28/2021 at 2:16 PM, Ritabob said:

Notamermaid, 

Have a great day back at the office.   The mental image I have is one of a young student on their first day of school. Uncomfortable shoes, new lunch box, new outfit. Enjoy!

RB 

It was a good day. The sun was shining and the people I passed in the street and met at work were in a much better mood than two weeks ago. When the shops reopened, the weather improved and the figures went down day after day, it was as if a switch had been turned. Within three days or so, life became much better.

I was a bit nervous, trying to remember what to take: key, no lunchbox but afternoon snack, drink and what was that password again?? That with the new outfit did not work out and I did actually forget to clean my shoes, I had walked through road works the day before! Oops. Now I am trying to catch up with some housework before my third shift which I am really looking forward to. Should get into the routine again soon.

What can I say? I suppose just that "it feels good to be back". :classic_smile:

notamermaid

• Like 3

Notamermaid, that is wonderful news for you.

Unfortunately, here in Melbourne, our lockdown has been extended for yet another week.  What was supposed to be a "circuitbreaker" will now be a minimum of a fortnight of total lockdown, which is incredibly depressing after what we had last year.

Now we need to wait another week and see if they will let us out to play.

Things actually seem to be going quite well, case numbers are not escalating very badly, ie. today there were three new cases only.

It seems a disproportionate response to have us totally locked down for only 50 cases in the entire state, but it is what it is.  Our health boffins are very scared by the "Indian" variant, which of course they let in by allowing flights from India.

@djh1959 That is hard. In Germany there is a different approach to all this of course, we are even dining indoors now in a lot of places (with negative tests). But we have been warned as well: "look at Britain" our health authorities have said. They are cautious in Berlin and afraid of the Indian variant.

So, overall in Germany things are looking brighter and the Robert Koch Institute has lowered the risk level from very high to high. Here is a Deutsche Welle report with video: https://m.dw.com/en/coronavirus-germany-downgrades-its-risk-status/a-57738452

And tomorrow is the big day on the Rhine: river cruises in Germany restart!

notamermaid

@djh1959sorry to hear about the extension of your lockdown, but I fully understand your government reasoning.  I come from an area where health care is minimal because of the low population.  It's there, you just have to travel quite a ways to get it.  East Coast Canada doesn't have the hospitals that Ontario has, and so they closed themselves off from the rest of the country to keep cases low.  It worked last year, however this year, they are starting to have problems, and are closing themselves off from each other...which makes life difficult when you have to travel for medical treatment to another province.  I hope your measures are lifted soon.

Good news here, we are finally out of our "stay-at-home" order!  Not that many stayed home, as no one enforced it!  Today we are taking the parents to see my oldest sister at her new home.  She moved there in Sept, but they haven't seen her for a year.  We are eagerly looking forward to mid June when hopefully they will start opening stores again for things other than essentials.  We need a new door handle - luckily it's for the garage, and doesn't have to be locked...but can't buy one without seeing it as the ones we have, don't fit. I wish they would take another look at the so-called "non-essential" list, I don't think they realised just how limited it is...wiper blades for cars are non-essential!

Glad to hear you are back working @notamermaid, hope all goes well!

It is so weird to hear how things are going elsewhere. I have been working at my employment for a year now (after being sent home in March last year) and everything is open here. No restrictions.

1 hour ago, Coral said:

It is so weird to hear how things are going elsewhere. I have been working at my employment for a year now (after being sent home in March last year) and everything is open here. No restrictions.

Same here.  I was sent home April, but back to the office by May.

There has been some definite changes though. There's a shortage of vehicles, houses, and skyrocketed rental car costs.  A lot of the lower wage service workers have not returned, and likely won't for their previous wage.  Domestic vacationing appears to be at record levels.

Our stay-at-home order expired at midnight. However, that doesn't make any real difference, because we still have only essential retail open, take-out only (no patios or dining in) no gyms, hair salons and no in-person learning. Non-essential retail is curbside pickup only. Our next stage is supposed to begin June 14, which will allow patio dining and small groups of people who don't live together allowed to get together. There is some possibility that that date might be moved forward because we have vaccinated well over 60% of the adult population.

It is thought that today they will announce that schools will not reopen until September.