How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

14 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Miss all the fun, though there was that Canadian once that seemed to hate all Aussies and thought we were all tight when it came to tipping, that was fun.

I cannot recollect that episode, must have been a few years ago.  Although I have been a CC member since 2006, wonder I cannot remember. We have had some Doozies on here though over the years, I could write a book on them and still they pop out of the woodwork.

Edited by NSWP

As I post the entire population of NZ will be getting ready to watch Jacinda at 5.30 pm  , Friday ,for the next Level of lockdown we go to . At the moment Auckland is at Level 3 with boundary restrictions and the rest of NZ is at Level 2.

A lot riding on this announcement as she has  to arrive at a balance between  public safety and the survival of businesses .

15 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

As I post the entire population of NZ will be getting ready to watch Jacinda at 5.30 pm  , Friday ,for the next Level of lockdown we go to . At the moment Auckland is at Level 3 with boundary restrictions and the rest of NZ is at Level 2.

A lot riding on this announcement as she has  to arrive at a balance between  public safety and the survival of businesses .

If she's sensible she'll put the whole of NZ, or at least the North Island, into Level 3 for a few week to try to eliminate this outbreak.

I wish the NSW Premier would do that to Sydney. The damned virus is sneaking all over the place here.

17 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

If she's sensible she'll put the whole of NZ, or at least the North Island, into Level 3 for a few week to try to eliminate this outbreak.

I wish the NSW Premier would do that to Sydney. The damned virus is sneaking all over the place here.

Everything to remain  the same for the next 12 days .

Wage subsidy to be extended. 

15 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Everything to remain  the same for the next 12 days .

Wage subsidy to be extended. 

Interesting. I thought she might have extended  the Level 3 areas given the cases in Tokoroa.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Interesting that the genomic sequencing of the latest NZ outbreak shows it is a new strain to NZ, not one that has been dormant for 3+ months. That's a big relief - the thought that it could stay undetected in a community for that period of time would have been very scary.

They also think it has come from Australia or the UK. 

A little feedback on the current situation in Caldwell NJ, still quite and empty. No that many cars on the streets and people wondering around. Maybe its just my block but I dont find anything exciting going on right now. I cant wait for the cinemas to open to go see the movies I couldnt see in March and April. I also hope that children centers will eventually open and my wife takes them there 

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I agree, Gladys should shut the place down so that we don't end up like Victoria which acted weeks too late. As for pubs, clubs and churches, many don't seem to have got the message so maybe it's time to get heavy handed.

While the virus is still moving through the community like it is I think a lot of us older folk are putting ourselves into a self-imposed lockdown - only going out when necessary to buy groceries etc, and wearing masks in crowded places. But, sadly, too many people, mostly younger, aren't being sensible.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Agree, too many clusters around Syd Metro.

59 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I agree, Gladys should shut the place down so that we don't end up like Victoria which acted weeks too late. As for pubs, clubs and churches, many don't seem to have got the message so maybe it's time to get heavy handed.

Totally agree.

Nearly two weeks under stage 4 lockdown for us. I think Melbournians are generally staying home except for their exercise hour and shopping. When I did my weekly shopping on early on Thursday, most of the time I was the only one in the aisle. Very easy to scoot around and pick up what  I needed. I was the only one at the chicken shop and bakery and one other at the butcher. 

As it is quite a nice sunny day, quite a few locals are out walking and cycling enjoying the sunshine. 

I came across a post on FB about a Sydney law firm which is looking for people to donate towards a fund to take the state, territory and federal governments to the High Court to challenge all the lockdowns and restrictions which have been put in place to control Covid 19. People have been donating via an online fund raising platform. Not a lot has been raised so far as they want to raise $1 millon to pay for the very best QCs.

This is their aim - 

To challenge the unconstitutional orders and directions of the State Governments in the High Court. The funds raised will be used to fund the legal costs and disbursements. Reopen Australia and end the lockdowns asap.

I would have thought that the federal, state and territory governments would have had the very best constitutional experts advising them before the restrictions were brought in. 

Leigh

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

I think you mean QLD.

NSW didn't close its borders with Vic until July (which was overdue given the rapid escalation in Vic cases), months after the other states had closed borders.

Yes Qld closed its borders to NSW twice and it was a very popular decision with the general public.  Other States closed their borders, but didn't receive the same amount of criticism as Qld. did. 

Local businesses are missing the international tourist market, who spend much more than the local Aussie market.   

It is very quiet locally because lots of people seem to have gone away due to the Ekka long weekend.  Other tourist areas, like Burleigh, are packed with weekenders.  

9 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

The above-mentioned rights shall not be subject to any restrictions except those which are provided by law, are necessary to protect national security, public order (ordre public), public health or morals or the rights and freedoms of others, and are consistent with the other rights recognized in the present Covenant.

This is the important bit at this time.

24 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

This is the important bit at this time.

But the commonwealth chief health minister said it wasn’t necessary, that is what those looking at challenging it are basing their claim on.

10 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

I actually enjoy a little off topic......  How am I doing ??.....

getting somewhat bored with apartment living.. would like to go somewhere....

Time to chill       oooohhhh       and for a G&T.....

and decided on what to watch tonight on the New Bigger Picture....

Cheers Don

I can imagine apartment living could get boring during lockdown. Can you get out?  Melbourne has some lovely parks. Do you live near a park within 5 klm?

Where would you like to go?  I think we are all dreaming where we would like to go, at this stage.    

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I can imagine apartment living could get boring during lockdown. Can you get out?  Melbourne has some lovely parks. Do you live near a park within 5 klm?

Where would you like to go?  I think we are all dreaming where we would like to go, at this stage.    

Yes there is a park within 5km.... but full of joggers and cyclists without masks.... people with dogs and loads of kids without masks.........   ( if fact a bit terrifying   trying to social distance )

Just before stage 4   got a new TV so we have bigger picture 65"  which is very nice.... having movie night every night ( have about 300 to choose from )

Where would we like to go ( should have been packing for 3 cruises.. lol )  even down the coast to Apollo Bay would be nice.... but have got my mind up on Tasmania to visit Stanley up the North West and a place on the east coast with a view of the Hazards...

Got some photos one must build frames for from our last cruise ( NZ dec 2019 )...

Cheers All   Don

Ps somebody was talking about Parcels delivery... our lastest one started in Altona and was coming to us in Bayside... it is now in Sydney on holiday ( stopping for a Pie ? )

• Like 2

Today we were due to fly out to Vancouver for our Alaska cruise and land tour.  Sad it didnt happen but thankful we have our health.

Talking to my 84yo Dad who lives alone and is coping surprisingly well during this period (he kayaks several mornings a week and tends to a large vegie patch to keep him busy) He says that what is happening now reminds him of the end of the war in the UK.