Changes in Onboard Behavior & Procedures after Cruises restart sailing again...

NavyCruiser

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

But, what about the other 10%? Do they not believe you, or they just don't care how they are affecting other passengers?

Sometimes there were additional problems with the AC in the cabin with the complaint.

Just curious what everyone’s thoughts are on what will be the new “norm” in cruising

1) Dining rooms - less tables?

2) Main pool - limited deck chairs?

3) # of passenger on the ship (50% less)?

4) buffet lines - people serving vs self serve?

5) hand washing and Purell stations everywhere

Whats your prediction ?

Edited by Luckiestmanonearth

Very happy that if it sails our next cruise is on msc yacht club, which has plenty of space between deck chairs , loads of room in there lounge . Following cruise is on celebrity and since we are in suite we have a private deck area .

Totally agree on decreasing amount passengers , my big complaint on cruise companies is they keep adding cabins to existing ships and taking away public areas . My last cruise in November on msc yacht club they offered single passengers no increase in cost for there own cabins. There were lots of singles people on that cruise, they do not have that policy anymore. 

52 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

2) only 6 day cruises (not 7) to do deep cleaning between sailings

An interesting thought that I have also had with such a modification.  Rather than disembarkation on the last day of a cruise and then an almost immediate embarkation of new guests on the same day, the sailing date would be the following date of the arrival in port.

Port fees, unusual dates for  itineraries and port calls wherever,, etc.:  many headaches for many. 

Will such he resolved?  Yes.  They will.  And, we, who love cruising and want to cruise again need to be patient.  

Edited by rkacruiser

1 hour ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Just curious what everyone’s thoughts are on what will be the new “norm” in cruising

Whats your prediction ?

Sorry but this is old news. 

The cruise industry already has two segments (premium and luxury), which already do much or all of what you suggest.

Years ago, two of the factors that drew our attention to Oceania was the very favorable passenger/space ratio and, of course, no self/serve in the casual Terrace Café.

As for the ship-within-a-ship concept, recognize that the galley crew often rotates. So the person dealing with few today, dealt with many yesterday.

• Thanks 1

The whole boarding and debarking process will have to be changed.  In Florida cruise terminals, stand one alligator 🐊 length away from one another.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Fewer tables in the DR?  Maybe 3 fixed seatings.  Longer waits for tables for anytime dining.

On HAL, they already did away with a lot of the self-serve in the Lido.

2 minutes ago, Roz said:

Decreasing # of passengers = increased fares.

Let's get real here. It will be the premium/luxury lines that survive the strongest. Mass market seniors needing a doctor's note will bite the bullet and move up. Those upper lines' fares will increase to make up for the remaining mass market partner losses and, though not with a smile on their faces, their regular customers will pay the premium.

In all honesty, if that's the bottom line of a new reality, I could probably live with it (if for no other reason than reducing the environmental impact from the ever-growing mass market monstrosities.

1 hour ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

A few more

1) cruise lines offers reasonable rates to singles cruisers (helps with reducing passengers per sailing)

Both sound super. We had invited a single friend to join us on a cruise last year. That supplement was a deal breaker for her. And I TOTALLY agree about that down day for cleaning.  Yes, yes, it will cost more

Wonder if all cruise lines will survive? After 9/11 one of my favorite lines renaissance went under. A little different now since carnival bought many of the lines , now they along with ncl and rccl own most of the cruise lines. Reducing passengers also will mean reducing crew .

3 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

A few more

1) cruise lines offers reasonable rates to singles cruisers (helps with reducing passengers per sailing)

Actually, the exact opposite would make far more sense (as regards Covid-19).

Couples and families who will have sheltered in place together are a far less riskier proposition than singles whose behaviors might be far more concerning. 

And the efficacy of a "cleaning day" off would be far less costly every 18+ days rather than once weekly.

Again, what we'll see back online first are longer cruises on smaller ships with a population that can pay the higher premiums.

Here is an easy detail to eliminate: those waiter parades in the dining rooms where people wave their dirty, germ filled cloth napkins into the air. I doubt anyone will miss those, especially the waiters who have to pretend to enjoy it. 

Perhaps going less green might help. Eliminate salt and pepper shakers and ketchup bottles and offer packets. 

9 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Couples and families who will have sheltered in place together are a far less riskier proposition than singles whose behaviors might be far more concerning. 

Huh?  What exact "behaviors" do you think singles engage in that would concern a cruise line? 😳

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Whats your prediction ?

I'll say "maybe" on the first three.  It depends on whether social distancing is still a thing we have to do or is something we've become conditioned to do.  It's human nature for people to get close to each other at least sometimes.

I think the buffet as we knew is likely gone.  Most, if not all, dining venues will be served for a while, if not longer.

Purell stations will be ubiquitous and hand washing sinks will be a lot more common.

12 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

A few more

Maybe some cruise lines will try reducing the single tax on a line-by-line basis, but I don't see it being universal.

A full day plus for turnarounds?  Hmmmm... I only see this if they're forced into it.  They'd have to modify all the cruises that are out there already, and the affected passengers might have to arrive their travel schedules into and/or out of port.  They would be pressured to give refunds for each day lost.  Of course, if the cruise lines have to cancel everything that's already on the schedule, this is less of an issue.

53 minutes ago, K32682 said:

My expectation is that cruising will return

to what it was in the 80's, a limited, expensive prospect

for only the well-heeled. 

COVID-19 Pandemic is Cruising's 9/11 -only worse.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

A few more

How do you think cruise lines can cut passenger load by 50% without raising fares?

And then, how would cutting fares for singles work?

And,  having a day in port between sailings would reduce on-board revenue by about 15%.

Why not just suggest government funded free cruises?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Actually, the exact opposite would make far more sense (as regards Covid-19).

What in the world do you mean by saying that???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Let's get real here. It will be the premium/luxury lines that survive the strongest. Mass market seniors needing a doctor's note will bite the bullet and move up. Those upper lines' fares will increase to make up for the remaining mass market partner losses and, though not with a smile on their faces, their regular customers will pay the premium.

In all honesty, if that's the bottom line of a new reality, I could probably live with it (if for no other reason than reducing the environmental impact from the ever-growing mass market monstrosities.

I have a lot of issues with your blanket statements.

How do you logically arrive at the assumption that "mass market seniors needing a doctor's note will bite the bullet and move up." ?  Will they suddenly have more money from somewhere in order to do so?  It seems unlikely, given the state of the market and of the economy at present  (and especially if fares increase, which you also surmise....)

• Like 2