Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

4 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

In between my nursing duties I made a cake for my daughter’s 44th birthday tomorrow.  She is so down in the dumps I hope this cheers her up a little.IMG_2195.thumb.jpeg.04bced84d6df95569b4ace4b1448612c.jpeg

That sure looks delicious!  Happy 44th Birthday to your dear daughter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Feeling good, Maryann, thanks for asking.  No pain or even discomfort in the hernia area.  The surgeon prodded and poked pretty hard and I still felt no pain.  Hopefully, a good sign.

I'm glad to hear that you are feeling good, Bonnie, and that you are not in pain or discomfort.  15 days more and your daughter will be for a wonderful visit!  Our daughter, SIL, and two of our granddaughters are arriving in Naples this Saturday.  We haven't seen them since Thanksgiving, so we're sure looking forward to seeing them.  My grandson won't be with them, since he's heading for London tomorrow with some College friends for their Spring break.  Lucky kid! 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I had no idea cataract surgery costs so much to have. Corrective lenses arent covered by my insurance and for 2 lens to see near and far, $9,000 ! Plus whatever my co pay for surgery is. 

The free lens covered by insurance I'd have to wear glasses. For $3k x 2 eyes. He can do lens that I can see to drive. Far. To see far and near its $4,500 x 2 or 9k. Just for the lens for both eyes. Plus my insurance co pay for the surgery. My mom must have had better insurance. I'm sure she didnt pay this much. She did it about 5 years ago. I took her. I sure dont remember having to pay for a corrective lens. I would have remembered. A extra unexpected $9,000. 

Jane, it will be 5 years this August since I had my Cataract surgeries.  If I wanted what my insurance covered, I'd have the corrective lenses but I'd need reading glasses.  I was thinking of just doing that, but one of my daughters told me if I went with the more expensive lenses, I'd no longer need to wear any glasses.  I paid  $1,750.00 per eye, so $1,750.00 x 2, so $3,500.00.

Immediate eyesite..no glasses!  I am 20/20 in my right eye, and 20/25 in my left.  So glad I had it done!  Prior to the cataracts, I was wearing strong bifocals.  I don't know how bad your eyesight is, but I was amazed at how I could see so clearly, and how vivid the colors became for me.

Good luck with whatever way that you decide to go.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

Jane, it will be 5 years this August since I had my Cataract surgeries.  If I wanted what my insurance covered, I'd have the corrective lenses but I'd need reading glasses.  I was thinking of just doing that, but one of my daughters told me if I went with the more expensive lenses, I'd no longer need to wear any glasses.  I paid  $1,750.00 per eye, so $1,750.00 x 2, so $3,500.00.

Immediate eyesite..no glasses!  I am 20/20 in my right eye, and 20/25 in my left.  So glad I had it done!  Prior to the cataracts, I was wearing strong bifocals.  I don't know how bad your eyesight is, but I was amazed at how I could see so clearly, and how vivid the colors became for me.

I had cataract surgery a year ago.  Since as an adult, I've always worn glasses for distance, (none needed for reading, computer, etc.) I opted to continue with distance glasses, specifically for driving.  Since I chose the lens Medicare plus my supplement covered, I paid nothing, except a small co-pay.  I had the option of choosing the lens that would correct distance sight but then I would have to wear glasses for reading, computer which I do more than driving. I remember how clear everything was after the surgery.  I too am glad I had it done.   

I had the choice of needing glasses for 

• Like 6

I was so sorry to read of Steve Lawrence's passing at 88, due to Alzheimer's complications.  Oh how I loved him and Edie Gorme singing together. His "Go Away Little Girl" was always a favorite of mine.  

I saw him on Broadway in "What Makes Sammy Run".  He came out after the performance, took the time to speak to everyone who gathered at the stage door and signed my Playbill.  Sweet memories. R.I.P. Steve.

• Like 8

19 hours ago, sgmn said:

Home safe and sound. Bit of a mission getting home. We both got on the flights we tried for but flights were very full so we ended up seating separately in middle seats for both sin-dxb and dxb-lon sectors.

Went to see Dr about the fainting episode and upshot is he's scheduled me for further tests and in the meantime I've had to legally notify DVLA (car licensing authority) and can't drive until they tell me I can. Probably until after results of tests are in.  Big change as I'm so use to the freedom of driving 🚗 

Yes. That happens here as well. If you faint or have a seizure, the physician is required to report it to the DMV. (Dept. of Motor Vehicles). I went to DMV hearing with my BFF, one time as a witness. She had fainted at work because she didn't eat breakfast. Just as a character witness, to tell them she wasn't normally a fainter. ☺️ 

• Like 5

Sorry. Interrupted for dinner. We were just in our 20's when she fainted, so she wanted me to go with her to the DMV hearing. The hearing officer was bemused, when he asked why I was present? He actually laughed, when I said that we had been friends for a very long time, and I had never seen her faint before. So, it was not a recurring thing. 😄 They did reinstate her license.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

I was so sorry to read of Steve Lawrence's passing at 88, due to Alzheimer's complications.  Oh how I loved him and Edie Gorme singing together. His "Go Away Little Girl" was always a favorite of mine.  

I saw him on Broadway in "What Makes Sammy Run".  He came out after the performance, took the time to speak to everyone who gathered at the stage door and signed my Playbill.  Sweet memories. R.I.P. Steve.

I also loved the song “ go away little girl “ he and his wife opened for Frank Sinatra many times. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Sorry. Interrupted for dinner. We were just in our 20's when she fainted, so she wanted me to go with her to the DMV hearing. The hearing officer was bemused, when he asked why I was present? He actually laughed, when I said that we had been friends for a very long time, and I had never seen her faint before. So, it was not a recurring thing. 😄 They did reinstate her license.  

My husband has fainted three times in CA and his doctor knew about two of those times and the DMV never contacted him . The third time he picked himself off the floor and that was the end of that episode. 

My daughter suffers from migraines and she fainted in the grocery store.  Her license was suspended and reinstated when she told the DMV she has never fainted when seated . 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, NHProud said:

My husband has fainted three times in CA and his doctor knew about two of those times and the DMV never contacted him . The third time he picked himself off the floor and that was the end of that episode. 

My daughter suffers from migraines and she fainted in the grocery store.  Her license was suspended and reinstated when she told the DMV she has never fainted when seated . 

There is definitely inconsistent reporting. 

• Like 1

Lighthouse beacon decided not to work last night.  We had the most beautiful starry night sky.

Today was hot & sunny and  we visited Hawks Nest, an hour south of the Lighthouse (2 1/2hrs north of Sydney) - a lovely small beach community that we used to holiday at regularly when the kids were very little. Back then Hawks Nest/Tea Gardens were known for their koala community and we would see them in the trees, after we crossed the singing bridge.  There are still signs up warning “koalas cross here” but the koala community has been decimated by loss of their habitat for development.

The beach though is still as beautiful as ever.  We didn’t spot any dolphins today but they are usually seen in the waters here.4C6E693E-5CAA-4E96-9AF9-F6EA179FE918.thumb.jpeg.39b4b8d23a3378da618f1cb4b2f36367.jpeg

CA9CC374-B4C4-4F79-A2A7-2BEAE83218AA.thumb.jpeg.91608cac670b3bb21922617135d4a961.jpeg

D851103B-A112-44A4-AA10-28199B3B7D3C.thumb.jpeg.3b812afbbcd368b0eed16817e55d25b6.jpeg

An old sign in a parcel of bush habitat that remains.

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 16

12 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

In between my nursing duties I made a cake for my daughter’s 44th birthday tomorrow.  She is so down in the dumps I hope this cheers her up a little.IMG_2195.thumb.jpeg.04bced84d6df95569b4ace4b1448612c.jpeg

Lovely cake Marietta.

Happy 44th birthday to your dear daughter.

I hope this meme helps to cheers her up.

Graham x.

happy-44th-birthday-8.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning from North East England.

It is 09.35am cloudy and 43°F.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

Good morning to you as well.  Sunny with a big rain system coming in here over the weekend. They are calling for an inch over Saturday with the potential for more. Temperature is currently 39F. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Lighthouse beacon decided not to work last night.  We had the most beautiful starry night sky.

Today was hot & sunny and  we visited Hawks Nest, an hour south of the Lighthouse (2 1/2hrs north of Sydney) - a lovely small beach community that we used to holiday at regularly when the kids were very little. Back then Hawks Nest/Tea Gardens were known for their koala community and we would see them in the trees, after we crossed the singing bridge.  There are still signs up warning “koalas cross here” but the koala community has been decimated by loss of their habitat for development.

The beach though is still as beautiful as ever.  We didn’t spot any dolphins today but they are usually seen in the waters here.4C6E693E-5CAA-4E96-9AF9-F6EA179FE918.thumb.jpeg.39b4b8d23a3378da618f1cb4b2f36367.jpeg

CA9CC374-B4C4-4F79-A2A7-2BEAE83218AA.thumb.jpeg.91608cac670b3bb21922617135d4a961.jpeg

D851103B-A112-44A4-AA10-28199B3B7D3C.thumb.jpeg.3b812afbbcd368b0eed16817e55d25b6.jpeg

That’s sad about the Koala population. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Luckynana said:

I dont know how bad it is either. I rarely wear reading glasses. I went for the discharge in my eyes. Oh he said the oil problem is chronic, meaning hard to get rid of so it is gone completely. 

He is doing surgery to the first eye march 18. She wanted to do it march 24 but I'm worried about getting them both done and seeing him for a check up after. She is squeezing me in late at 3 pm march 18. Then a couple weeks later left eye. He talked about the shape of my eyes. I forget the term. Astigmatism?  The left eye is a little more out of shape. So right eye easier. 

I feel like im running out of time before I move.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

I had cataract surgery a year ago.  Since as an adult, I've always worn glasses for distance, (none needed for reading, computer, etc.) I opted to continue with distance glasses, specifically for driving.  Since I chose the lens Medicare plus my supplement covered, I paid nothing, except a small co-pay.  I had the option of choosing the lens that would correct distance sight but then I would have to wear glasses for reading, computer which I do more than driving. I remember how clear everything was after the surgery.  I too am glad I had it done.   

I had the choice of needing glasses for 

I just dont remember my mom being presented with different options that cost. She was already in her 90s and didnt drive so maybe all we cared about was close up. Good to know. Thanks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Great pictures as always.  You're missing Serenade in Sydney!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, George C said:

Cowsills are not one of the main acts , but definitely want to see them , one of the things I love about these cruises is the interviews Gino Vannelli is on again and he was ready to quit the music business but waited outside A&M records and almost tackled Herb Albert asking for a job , Herb told him to come back in a couple of hours and after hearing him offered him a recording deal. Have a bunch of CDs and albums signed on this cruises.

I am a huge Gino fan. I’ve seen him every time he’s come to Kansas City. I remember hearing his song “Powerful People” with its rich bass synth line and thinking this is the kind of music and groove I love. His album “Storm At Sunup’ blew me away with its advanced arrangements. I was hooked long before most of the public heard “I Just Wanna Stop.” My favorite song is “Brother to Brother” which as a drummer had a killer drum track by the late great Mark Craney. I was so obsessed with his track that I transcribed the whole drum part and played to it hundreds of times. 

Btw, I just watched the Herb Alpert documentary a few days ago. It was really good.

10 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Huge Steve and Edie fan here. Their Christmas album “That Holiday Feeling “ is one of my all time favorites. His voice and range was incredible as well as his harmonies with Edie. He will be missed but I’m glad his music lives on.

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Like 4

Question for the Doctor's in the house or those with Diabetes? Just had my 6 month check up and my A1C level was at 7.1..............I have not talked to the Doctor since I received the results this morning...........No idea if this is Type 1 or 2 or what really.

My results up until now have been in low 5's and mid to upper 6's, this is the first time I have ever been over 7.

I have been gaining some weight in the last 2 or 3 years though, so while I was at the visit I asked what supplement he would recommend to help lose some weight.

He mentioned trying 1500 mg of Berberine, has anyone heard of this? If so how did it work for you.

I do know I have to cut down on after dinner snacking, more exercise and cut way down on my sugar intake.

@Ocean Boy

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Question for the Doctor's in the house or those with Diabetes? Just had my 6 month check up and my A1C level was at 7.1..............I have not talked to the Doctor since I received the results this morning...........No idea if this is Type 1 or 2 or what really.

My results up until now have been in low 5's and mid to upper 6's, this is the first time I have ever been over 7.

I have been gaining some weight in the last 2 or 3 years though, so while I was at the visit I asked what supplement he would recommend to help lose some weight.

He mentioned trying 1500 mg of Berberine, has anyone heard of this? If so how did it work for you.

I do know I have to cut down on after dinner snacking, more exercise and cut way down on my sugar intake.

@Ocean Boy

First, welcome back... again.🙂

So with the little info I know about your situation you most likely have type 2. This means you are manufacturing insulin from your pancreas but your sensitivity to it is decreasing. There are various reasons for this but I can't get into all that here. I have never heard of the supplement that you mentioned so I cannot comment on it. The key in the initial management if type 2 is lifestyle changes. Decrease your simple sugar consumption and be careful with the amount and type of carbohydrates that you eat. Exercise and weight loss is also key. Then see how your lab values respond.

I have many times been able to manage type 2 using no medication at all when people have been willing to make the necessary lifestyle changes. Of course, there are always some who just won't put the effort into their health and want meds to fix everything. I've never been a big believer in better living through chemistry. Then there are those who end up on meds no matter how hard they try.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 6

On 3/7/2024 at 9:05 AM, Arzeena said:

Was it called Goodman's Bay? We have been there. We also did a day pass at Breezes on Cable Beach once. Glad you enjoyed it Sis.

Have a wonderful day in Coco Cay.

Maybe it was Goodmen's Bay.  I think Breezes was one of the resorts next to us.    Looked nice!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

First, welcome back... again.🙂

So with the little info I know about your situation you most likely have type 2. This means you are manufacturing insulin from your pancreas but your sensitivity to it is decreasing. There are various reasons for this but I can't get into all that here. I have never heard of the supplement that you mentioned so I cannot comment on it. The key in the initial management if type 2 is lifestyle changes. Decrease your simple sugar consumption and be careful with the amount and type of carbohydrates that you eat. Exercise and weight loss is also key. Then see how your lab values respond.

I have many times been able to manage type 2 using no medication at all when people have been willing to make the necessary lifestyle changes. Of course, there are always some who just won't put the effort into their health and want meds to fix everything. I've never been a big believer in better living through chemistry. Then there are those you end up on meds no matter how hard they try.

I just looked up that supplement because I have never heard of that one either.  My DH is a diabetic, as was his mother who lived with us, so have seen way too many diabetes medications over the last way too many years.  What I googled had it being compared to Metformin but with lots of side effects.  Originates in Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine.  I will have to ask my DH if his endocrinologist ever talked about that one.

• Like 4