Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Just got back from our 2nd cruise in the last 3 days............Happy times !!😁😎

We only had about 15 cars onboard, usually holds 30 to 40 cars.
😞

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

How was the Windjammer?

8 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I was thinking about the muster drill

At less than 50% capacity, I assumed no restricted access to the Loyalty Lounge during Happy Hour?

• Haha 7

29 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

At less than 50% capacity, I assumed no restricted access to the Loyalty Lounge during Happy Hour?

None at all, all us were free to roam. 🙂

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

For @Ocean Boy History of the Oak Island Light house which can be seen from Southport.

https://www.oakislandlighthouse.org/

Keep watching this video and you will get  a good look of the light house.

https://surfchex.com/sppssl.php

There is some beautiful sunsets on this site too, maybe not tonight though, pretty cloudy down here tonight, but save the link and try later in the summer months.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Luckynana said:

You're not kidding!  We moved here 7 years ago, Two new red lights made their appearance just around my block, a new 55 and over community built around when we moved in, and the ground clearing in all directions of our town, an entire community of townhouse buildings are partially occupied while more buildings going up there, and way more ground clearing where low income housing will be going up.   I don't know where our town is going to find the room in our schools to contain the population of children who will be attending.  

Rte 9 is only a one lane road, and our other main road is only two-lane.

Saw the nice blue and white sign when we drove from Wilmington over the Bridge saying Welcome to Leland, didn't drive straight though, we made a left and headed back to Southport. Looked like a nice area though. Much better then Wilmington itself I'm sure.

16 hours ago, rrraydon said:

Gorgeous gardens!

So gorgeous. The start of texas hill country. Their house is behind so many trees I missed it. I

And she is such a great decorator. Inside is as beautiful as out. I took some pictures today of the missions and all. Hardly saw the Alamo and riverwalk due to lots of rain and construction. Such a  nice visit. All the homes around here look like mansions to me. I sure enjoyed our visit. Boarding mariner monday. 

Some friends are just good and forever.  This was the best shot of her house from the road where you can see her house, the rest trees block it. Google maps just shows trees for her house. One of the missions. Wish it was a sunny day.

20240504_142354.jpg

20240504_215900301.jpeg

• Like 10

7 hours ago, h20skibum said:

When I first looked at this picture, I wondered what kind of church bus that was with three decks!

I thought the exact same thing until I got to the 4th picture and scrolled back up to see the optical illusion.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

So gorgeous. The start of texas hill country. Their house is behind so many trees I missed it. I

And she is such a great decorator. Inside is as beautiful as out. I took some pictures today of the missions and all. Hardly saw the Alamo and riverwalk due to lots of rain and construction. Such a  nice visit. All the homes around here look like mansions to me. I sure enjoyed our visit. Boarding mariner monday. 

Some friends are just good and forever.  This was the best shot of her house from the road where you can see her house, the rest trees block it. Google maps just shows trees for her house. One of the missions. Wish it was a sunny day.

20240504_142354.jpg

20240504_215900301.jpeg

I've yet to visit Texas. Maybe soon I'll sail out of Galveston and spend a few days visiting before the sailing. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 9:31 AM, h20skibum said:

Cheap flights are almost impossible to find anymore.  I know the ones we booked this summer are much higher.  

I was shocked when my son told me that they looked into flights for his in-laws to fly from China.  They were looking at 15k per person, round trip in economy.  

😳 that’s nuts. Even 15k for 2 people would be a lot to me.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 5

On 5/3/2024 at 3:48 PM, Jimbo said:

Looks like Leland is just outside of Wilmington, NC and really has shown a lot of growth in the last 10 years, population has doubled in that time span.

We are kind of looking for something more laid backed, thought Southport was that place but there is a lot of growth happening there to even in the last 3 years that we have been going there.

Seems nothing can hide from expanding can it?

Did I miss something? Are you looking to move again or a second house?

My take on a couple of topics this last 24 hours.

Thousands of houses being built in our (fairly rural) area and several large apartments blocks going up in our nearest town.  In our road last year the year 7 intake (moving from primary to senior school) couldn't get into our nearest walkable school and were sent to ones miles away.

We use to go to the cinema every 10 days or so pre covid, now we hardly go at all.  Not sure why, streaming services on TV perhaps, cost ? 🤔 

I've been to Royal Ascot which is about 10 miles away, a few times. Nice to dress up and people watch.  My DIL and her girlfriend still go every year as well as The Royal Horse Show held in the ground of Windsor Castle (on this weekend). She is horse mad

• Like 8

6 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Did I miss something? Are you looking to move again or a second house?

Maybe a second home or a second home made into a AirBNB when we aren't using it.

But the way prices are so high here right now may be a straight out move once my Wife retires in 2 or 3 years.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Some pictures of our North Carolina Aquarium at Fort Fisher visit.

Otters were so cute swimming around, my Wife wanted to take one home.

20240504_095915.jpg

20240504_100008.jpg

20240504_100012.jpg

20240504_100345.jpg

Even had one that was an albino.

20240504_100450.jpg

20240504_100612.jpg

20240504_100650.jpg

One huge shark in this large tank

20240504_100943.jpg

Resized_20240504_100942_1714847607625.jpeg

Resized_20240504_100944_1714847621457.jpeg

Stingray

20240504_101248.jpg

20240504_101332.jpg

Hammerhead Shark

20240504_101904.jpg

20240504_102246.jpg

20240504_102254.jpg

Gift Shop

20240504_102220.jpg

Outside Snack Bar with tables

20240504_103419.jpg

This was outside showing the height the water got after a hurricane at this point around the aquarium.

20240504_105817.jpg

Highest height was back in 1954 Hurricane Hazel. like 17 ft.

20240504_105830.jpg

20240504_110223.jpg

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Day 4 Hilton Head Shenanigans 

IMG_4407.thumb.jpeg.588abc7aa9743f0a755b6bd7b531b646.jpeg

Visited Harbor Town with its wonder shops.

IMG_4405.thumb.jpeg.74eb3543259c8c9446bd0a210ebb5476.jpeg

IMG_4410.thumb.jpeg.01facddeb9773ddea127506e883964ba.jpeg

My yacht is here.

IMG_5044.thumb.jpeg.ea443452d7ac8aeec0146b0bc8dd8d29.jpeg

Later Dave arranged for us to take a afternoon cruise on a double decker catamaran.

IMG_4417.thumb.jpeg.c4f6d98851171c58b0f9bbde75219186.jpeg

Saw a lot of dolphins but did not get any good pictures of them. Very enjoyable cruise.

IMG_4424.thumb.jpeg.328f835d00152f344c57daa6877dae54.jpeg

Dinner at Captain Woody’s who is owned by a University of Kentucky alum who has a big get together of UK people to watch the Kentucky Derby. The place was packed.

IMG_4433.thumb.jpeg.258f42dc0cdc068524308fee28e4cf59.jpeg

The highlight that this restaurant is known for is their “Grouper Melt.” This was the best sandwich I have ever eaten in my life. Everyone who got it raved about it. It had grouper, grilled onions, mushrooms and cheese. If you ever come down to Hilton Head you must try this sandwich. 10 out 10 stars.

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Like 21

16 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

IMG_4433.thumb.jpeg.258f42dc0cdc068524308fee28e4cf59.jpeg

The highlight that this restaurant is known for is their “Grouper Melt.” This was the best sandwich I have ever eaten in my life. Everyone who got it raved about it. It had grouper, grilled onions, mushrooms and cheese. If you ever come down to Hilton Head you must try this sandwich. 10 out 10 stars.

That looks like a perfect lunch (hold the pickles).  I love Grouper!  If it's on the menu, in any form, it's usually my choice.  Sounds like you're having a great trip.

• Like 4

Since I have a son named Dan, I predicted Mystik Dan as the Kentucky Derby winner.  About 15 minutes before the race I figured out how to place a $10 bet online.  I won $196.10!

• Like 24

14 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Saw the nice blue and white sign when we drove from Wilmington over the Bridge saying Welcome to Leland, didn't drive straight though, we made a left and headed back to Southport. Looked like a nice area though. Much better then Wilmington itself I'm sure.

I think you are confused.  Maryann doesn't live in Leland, she lives in NJ.  I am the one moving to Leland in a few years.  And for what it is worth, Wilmington is a very nice city.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

That looks like a perfect lunch (hold the pickles).  I love Grouper!  If it's on the menu, in any form, it's usually my choice.  Sounds like you're having a great trip.

I thought about not adding the pickles but ended up putting them on and I liked it.

48 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Greg, I’m so glad your worries about the trip have proved unfounded and that you are really enjoying yourself with your old friends!

Yes it helped by everyone knowing that we had some ground rules.

36 minutes ago, derorim said:

Since I have a son named Dan, I predicted Mystik Dan as the Kentucky Derby winner.  About 15 minutes before the race I figured out how to place a $10 bet online.  I won $196.10!

Good for you. Mystic was the favorite right?

• Like 3

The adventure begins.

Sarah and I are sitting at the airport waiting for our flight to Vancouver where we will board the Explora Journey tomorrow for a 6 day cruise to Los Angeles.  This will be our first time sailing a cruise line other than Royal and this will be the complete opposite of what we are used to.

The Explora Journey is 64,000 Tonnes. 900 passengers and 700 crew, all suites, everything included.  This is MSC's new high end line that for an easy comparison would be like Silversea is to Royal.

We only have two stops, Astoria and San Francisco.  Astoria we will just wander around and have lunch in town at a local fish and chip shop.  In San Francisco we are docked from 9am to 11pm so I have Go Cars booked for 8 hours for us to see some sights and then an evening behind the scenes tour of Alcatraz.

I'll post pictures and updates along the way.

The only concern right now is that yesterday, Westjet issued a 72 hour lockout notice to the mechanics union so that could impact our flight home.

The other thing I was not prepared for was the dress code on board.  Resort casual for the day and resort elegant for the evening.  A quick shopping trip and visit to the dry cleaners was required this week.  So much for travelling with a carry on only.

Tonight's hotel in Vancouver is done on the cheap with us staying at the Days inn by the Airport however an unexpected bonus is Vancouvers summer food festival is open and across the street so that will be dinner tonight.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1