Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Does anyone know how much  a soda costs on a ship?  Our son likes to have soda, wish he didnt but he doesn't drink coffee or alcohol and is thinking of getting soda pkg if on black friday sale.

If he buys soda pkg does his girlfriend have to buy a drink pkg too?

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think a can was around $2.75 + 18% but that was almost two years ago. With the package he will have access to the freestyle machines. I am not sure if the package includes cans or not.🤔

I think it is only alcohol packages that require everyone to have a drink package but I might be wrong.

On our cruise Regina got the soda pkg. and Keith didn’t (might be remembering wrong on this but don’t remember him having it).  Not sure but I was thinking $3 something per can if purchased without a plan.  If they are about any C&A level they each would get a buy one get one.  Not sure why, maybe included but I was never charged for getting a coke at specialty meals. 

Edited by Ozark_Kid
  • Like 2

Just now, Sunshine3601 said:

Right now the sailing he is on with us has soda pkg on sale for $6.49/day with black friday sales that started today.

Sounds like good deal since charging $3.50 individually. 

Thank you everyone.

That is a really good price for the soda package.  I have seen some sailings have the refreshment package for $17 and that is great too.  I am hoping that appears on my sailing tomorrow and I will repurchase.  Not all ships will have the freestyle machines though, so he will have minimal choices on a ship without the freestyle.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

That is only true for the deluxe beverage package and even with that, if you call, one can get the DBP and one can get the refreshment.

If only one person in the cabin wants either the soda package or the refreshment package, that person can get it and the others can pay as they go.

Ok I stand corrected.

I don’t drink much but I got the UDB because I drink soda and coffee and a couple martinis.

I don’t want a bar bill after my cruise is done, I have seen some that were really big.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Our school teacher daughter just had 4 positive COVID cases in her classroom, so with those students out plus those who have to quarantine, she only has 6 students left to teach.  Son in law was off with symptoms, but had 2 negative tests so far.  They are both looking at getting their boosters now. 

My DIL's class only had five in it just before our half term holidays end of October. 

Think they live stream a lot of classes now in her school so the kids isolating can still follow along from home

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I have a Samsung but was trying to see if if the iPhone 12 Pro had adjustable iso and aperture like the Samsung which helps with night photos.

Adjustable ISO yes (but not with the built in camera app), aperture no.  3 different fixed aperture lenses.  Lightroom and other pay camera apps like ProCamera give you the ability to adjust ISO and shutter speed manually.  The 12 Pro night photos look OK but are done by using a software HDR like combining of different shots at different shutter speeds to get more light to the lens.  No ability to open up the aperture.  They still have more noise than I like, but LR can fix some (not all) of that.  You can now shoot in RAW with the built in iPhone camera app, which gives LR more flexibility.

• Like 2

All of this WaWa talk reminds me of renting a beach house in Stone Harbor, NJ in the 80s before I was married.  I was working in the Scranton/Wilkes Barre area and would rent a house every summer with a group of guys.  We'd drive to Stone Harbor every weekend.  As we were trying to meet girls there, we'd sometimes tell them stories to see what they would believe.  My friend told a group of women that WaWa was Susquehannock Indian for "Land of Plenty".  To this day, I can't see WaWa without thinking "Land of Plenty".

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

12 hours ago, George C said:

She has a huge tail, my poor Gracie got her tail shorten by a door about a decade ago she only lost less than a inch but very stressful for both of us.

Oh my that would have been very stressful for you both.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I never heard of WaWa.

10 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

To @DaniDanielle@Luckynana@lenquixote66 @Sunshine3601They might be all over NJ but there are none in NY where I grew up and lived until moving to TX. I never noticed a WaWa the times I drove to NJ  Honest! 

Little history on Wawa stores.  They began on 1902 as a dairy plant in Wawa, PA with home delivery of milk.   In the 60s they opened their first market.  

They are now in PA. NJ, DE, MD, VA, FL and DC with more than 850 stores and over 600 of them sell gas.  

I'm not sure if they are in NY yet.

They are a great quick stop and make to order breakfast sandwiches, hoagies, sandwiches, various food bowls, hot sandwiches such as meatball parms, etc etc.

They usually have the best gas prices in most areas.

When a wawa store opens all the other gas stations try to compete with wawa prices and you end up seeing a lot of local stations close down as it tough to compete with their prices and the fact you can stop for gas and go have a custom hoagie made or pick up one of their wonderful coffees.  They usually have a row of about 8 to 10 different kinds of coffee fresh made as well as speciality coffees like lattes and cappuccinos.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Keksie said:

Oh my that would have been very stressful for you both.  

Her brother Joebob thought the very end of the tail was a cat toy , I then had to catch Gracie t take her to the vet. Cats were not happy yesterday while they were removing old roof and adding the new one , noise level was pretty loud . 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Are you driving or flying to CT?       Safe Travels.

I think I like leftover turkey sandwich better than turkey day!      I love it on white bread with Hellmans mayo and some cranberry sauce that I make.

Oh no, I forgot I have to get egg nog and rum.   Off to the liquor store after work!     thank you for the reminder. 

Noticed that about the Cranberry sauce.  Just like the news foretold....could not find it anywhere.  Soooo...making it homemade from fresh cranberries for the first time.  🙂 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

Noticed that about the Cranberry sauce.  Just like the news foretold....could not find it anywhere.  Soooo...making it homemade from fresh cranberries for the first time.  🙂 

It is so easy to make and imo tastes better than the canned versions.  I add some orange to mine.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I never been to a Piggly Wiggly store but I remember when I first heard of their name, back in the mid-1980's, when I was working my first corporate job for a consumer goods company.  I worked closely with the Shipping & Distribution departments and would see their name all over various reports.  My first thought was they were a butcher shop chain specializing in pork. LOL

Anyways, the history geek in me wondered about the origins of their name. For those interested, you can read it here:  https://www.pigglywiggly.com/about-us 

What I found interesting is they proclaim themselves to be one of the first self-serve grocery stores.  Prior to that, customers would hand their shopping lists to grocery clerks who would then gather the products off the shelves.  Sounds similar to today's "personal shoppers". Proving the old adage: What is old, is new again"

LOL...definitely marketing.  😉  Thanks for providing the link.  Sounds like he was a smart guy.  🙂 

We always call the store "Wiggle Piggles"....once again...the name make you giggle.  😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We have a WaWa here in SW Florida that opened about 2 years ago.  Always busy.  Across the street from Walmart and Racetrack gas stations and WaWa's prices are very competitive, and sometimes lower.  So the previous poster is correct, they do help keep prices down.

I bought cranberry sauce about a month ago, because I had heard about shortages.    I think the can is smaller than it used to be.

Edited by mafig
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

And Below Deck begins.

Funny now that I am retired I could watch it when it airs on Monday but I recorded it and will stick to my Friday night viewing to kick off the weekend. Can't seem to break out of the habit even though now every day is the weekend.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

It is so easy to make and imo tastes better than the canned versions.  I add some orange to mine.

Thanks!  Won't be my best attempt, since I am limited with resources here at the timeshare condo over turkey day...but will do what I can with it.  At least I have cinnamon, bought some apple juice, and have a partial bag of Truvia to use. 

Have those sides available for the apple/pear compote I am making for dessert tomorrow after the grilled port tenderloin dinner.  Laurie is bringing sweet potatoes from her garden to have with that.  

She is also bringing a sugar free, gluten free, coconut pie for dessert she is making to have after the turkey dinner on Thursday.  She has many coconut trees in her back yard.  She makes her own dried coconut from them.  I think the garden and goodies she makes from them,  are a therapy for her when she is stressed out from work.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Little history on Wawa stores.  They began on 1902 as a dairy plant in Wawa, PA with home delivery of milk.   In the 60s they opened their first market.  

They are now in PA. NJ, DE, MD, VA, FL and DC with more than 850 stores and over 600 of them sell gas.  

They are a great quick stop and make to order breakfast sandwiches, hoagies, sandwiches, various food bowls, hot sandwiches such as meatball parms, etc etc.

When a wawa store opens all the other gas stations try to compete with wawa prices and you end up seeing a lot of local stations close down as it tough to compete with their prices and the fact you can stop for gas and go have a custom hoagie made or pick up one of their wonderful coffees.  They usually have a row of about 8 to 10 different kinds of coffee fresh made as well as speciality coffees like lattes and cappuccinos.

Sounds a lot like Sheetz, which we’ve seen mostly in VA. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Nope, no WaWa in NY.  With all the WaWa talk I did some research.  900 WaWa stores. Interesting story.

28 minutes ago, mafig said:

We have a WaWa here in SW Florida that opened about 2 years ago.  Always busy.  Across the street from Walmart and Racetrack gas stations and WaWa's prices are very competitive, and sometimes lower.  So the previous poster is correct, they do help keep prices down.

I bought cranberry sauce about a month ago, because I had heard about shortages.    I think the can is smaller than it used to be.

Wonderful competition to keep prices down, however, it probably drives smaller shops out of business. 

I remember the sign that was posted on the door of my "out of business" favorite book store.  A small shop where the owners, a husband and wife would actually call patrons to alert them that a shipment of their favorite books was delivered.  The sign thanked us for our patronage and stated they couldn't keep up with the large mega book stores.  

That was my favorite book shop.  After reading a book, we were able to return it for a credit of about 25% of the price of the book to purchase a new one. Owners would talk to us about our and their favorite authors, would offer advice about authors we might be interested in,

Same with my neighborhood family owned hardware store.  Gone for years now with Home Depot and Lowe's in abundance.  Our hardware store guy used to give us great advice and never charged for giving us small items, screws, nails, etc.  I'm stuck in the past.,,,,,,sigh.  

• Like 7