Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

DD is feeling the pain of the current international flight costs. She thought booking one way to London and then booking a one way one return later might be a cheaper option.  Hasn’t worked out that way.

One way to London $1k.  Return flight with Singapore airlines $1400.00.  That was the cheapest of the reputable airlines.

7 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We have had a busy week and I'm playing catch up.   Sorry if I have missed any important moments.   I hope to catch up this weekend.

@Ocean Boywhen do you leave for your cruise?  

Safe travels to all who are traveling in coming days

Flight 6AM Sat. morning. Yes, I know all about flying the same day but I have to work today. 

• Like 13

42 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

DD is feeling the pain of the current international flight costs. She thought booking one way to London and then booking a one way one return later might be a cheaper option.  

So true. There was a time when one way was much more expensive then return, and also "prone" to upgrading.

Then the airlines started to sell by "legs" and not return.... OK....

Yesterday I was pricing one way tickets to Morocco [the return flight is at 11PM, we don't "do" night flights anymore, so we're considering returning from another country...], and noticed a drop in price in comparison to last week.

When I phoned, they told me that yes, there is a drop in price, but only if I buy "return"... I said: "but you're selling the tickets by 'legs', and not by 'return' " !!! She said "yes, but we take into consideration that if you buy 'return', we gain more on 2 legs, and, therefore, willing to sell cheaper"...

Go figure ☹️

42 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Flight 6AM Sat. morning. Yes, I know all about flying the same day but I have to work today. 

Fingers crossed, OB, that your flight will be on time. And, enjoy the new Quantum class 🌷

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Fingers crossed, OB, that your flight will be on time. And, enjoy the new Quantum class 🌷

Thanks. I would be a bit more concerned about a same day flight but the plane gets in tonight and over nights at the airport here and it is non stop to Ft. Lauderdale in the morning. For two weeks I have been checking every day to see if it has been getting off on time! 

• Like 12

3 hours ago, sgmn said:

It was. I always regretted not flying Concorde. As staff we could get standby tickets for 25% of the fare. Tried to persuade DH to go but he said he got more pride in being involved in the flights and didn't need to actually fly it.

He is an artist and drew a picture of Concorde which flew in the cockpit of that last flight. He got all the crew to sign it.

I never had a chance to fly the Concorde, but I did fly to Paris in the mid-80s, landing at Orly.  We pulled up to a gate that was right next to a Concorde.  I was very surprised at how small it seemed.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I never had a chance to fly the Concorde, but I did fly to Paris in the mid-80s, landing at Orly.  We pulled up to a gate that was right next to a Concorde.  I was very surprised at how small it seemed.

I'm not sure I would have wanted to fly on Concorde. I like to fly and would not be looking for ways to shorten the trip across the Atlantic. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

When we lived in Huntsville one flew in. It was a charter doing flights to nowhere. Probably around 1998. I think it went out over the gulf, hit speed, then came back.

@grapau27. Graham, sending my best wishes that the shots give Sarah some relief. 

@Momof3gurlz. Deb, hoping you have safe travels and a wonderful cruise. Remind me again, are you doing a live cruise report?

@dani negreanu.  Also thinking of you and your family today. 

@Ocean Boy.  Safe travels to your cruise tomorrow.  Hope your flight is good to go.   Will be interested in hearing your impressions of Odyssey.  We enjoyed her and would book again.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'm not sure I would have wanted to fly on Concorde. I like to fly and would not be looking for ways to shorten the trip across the Atlantic. 

I would want to shorten any flight, by as much as possible.

My daughter-in-law has to fly to Singapore on business next week.  From San Francisco, it is a 17 hour and 25 minute direct flight.  I can’t imagine being on a plane that long. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Thanks. I would be a bit more concerned about a same day flight but the plane gets in tonight and over nights at the airport here and it is non stop to Ft. Lauderdale in the morning. For two weeks I have been checking every day to see if it has been getting off on time! 

At least first flight out for the plane in the morning eliminates a lot of weather issues in other parts of the country

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I can’t wait until next year, when I could reply to this post, and say something like….

Work is for losers!

jc

• Haha 9

15 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I would want to shorten any flight, by as much as possible.

My daughter-in-law has to fly to Singapore on business next week.  From San Francisco, it is a 17 hour and 25 minute direct flight.  I can’t imagine being on a plane that long. 

Singapore is a long flight!  We broke it up by spending a few days in Tokyo on the way.  Only thing worse was our trip to New Zealand, where we first flew to Sydney then back to NZ, and our flight got delayed like 6 or 7 hours.  That was not a fun couple of days.

jc

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

I can’t wait until next year, when I could reply to this post, and say something like….

Work is for losers!

jc

Well, I probably am a loser but, aside from making music, work is what I really like to do. I think it will be hard to walk away from it some day.... Or maybe not. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

No matter if you like to fly or not I much rather get there as fast as I can and have my 2 feet on the ground  then be stuck in an airplane longer then I have to be in one.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

No matter if you like to fly or not I much rather get there as fast as I can and have my 2 feet on the ground  then be stuck in an airplane longer then I have to be in one.

I never minded flying international business class.  Comfortable seats for sleeping/napping, decent food and drink, lots of time to read or watch a movie (or 4).  I tried not to do work while on the plane (although I sometimes had to) and treated it more like a mini vacation.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Safe travels, looking forward to your impressions of Odyssey.

@Momof3gurlz same for you, interested on your impressions of your NCL trip

Bon voyage and enjoy your time at sea

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Well, I probably am a loser but, aside from making music, work is what I really like to do. I think it will be hard to walk away from it some day.... Or maybe not. 

When it's time, just make sure that you have something to walk away to.  You hear too many stories of people whose entire life was centered around their work and when they retired, didn't have anything to do. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

You could join your neighbors band, and be her personal doctor….  Would be a shock if she won’t need one someday! 😆

• Haha 6

12 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

@grapau27Graham, best wishes for your Sarah.  Hoping those injections help.

Same here. 

11 hours ago, Luckynana said:

@Ocean BoyHave a great time on your cruise!  Safe travels!

Same wishes from me.  I bet his first stop will be at Sorrento's from a slice. 😛

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Safe travels wished for you! I am looking forward to those pics of your feet knowing that you are enjoying yourself.

I’m curious how do find out if a plane will be arriving and staying overnight to be the first flight in the morning?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

When it's time, just make sure that you have something to walk away to.  You hear too many stories of people whose entire life was centered around their work and when they retired, didn't have anything to do. 

I tell patients that every single day. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Safe travels wished for you! I am looking forward to those pics of your feet knowing that you are enjoying yourself.

I’m curious how do find out if a plane will be arriving and staying overnight to be the first flight in the morning?

Jet Blue has a flight from Ft. Lauderdale arriving at PVD tonight at 11:10 PM at gate 12. Jet Blue has no departures after that time until 6 AM tomorrow morning to Ft. Lauderdale from gate12. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1