Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

It seems like most Dodger fans switched to the Mets when the Dodgers "abandoned" Brooklyn for Los Angeles. 

Jack told me about the raise maybe 5 mins. before I read your post. 😃 Not a windfall but every penny counts. 

You sure do like your spirits. 😉

I am sure I would be 40 pounds lighter if I gave up my liquor and I like richer 😁😁,  but that’s not happening. My local Walmart had some sinuous small black and white New York style cookies, they will not last long .

• Like 3

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

Congrats to both of you.

I am ashamed to admit that I put on a few extra pounds while watching our grandson all summer.  I guess I can’t eat the same quantities of bad food like an 11 year old can.  So after her went home in August, I started eating healthy, low calorie meals.   I had a goal to lose 20 pounds, which would get me out of that “overweight” BMI range and back into the “normal” range.

After looking at what they consider as a normal BMI for my 5’-8” height (that is a weight between 122 and 164), I realized I don’t know many “normal” people.

And Greg @Sea Dog, weight loss will lower your blood pressure.  At least that is what I am seeing.  I think I mentioned I had been keeping a log of blood pressure readings, twice a day for the last six months.  My average has gone down about 10 points after losing those extra pounds.  Will have to see what my cardiologist has to say at my appointment in a couple weeks, since mine seems to be getting a little low now with the BP meds.  Hovering right around 97/60 now.

BMI is about one step above worthless and that is on the best of days. All it looks at is ht and wt and takes zero account of body composition. I take care of loads of teenage athletes who come out as obese by BMI but they have next to no fat on them and loads of muscle. Lean body mass throws off their BMI. I calculate body fat % as it gives you a much better health picture.

Also, some people blood pressure is very reactive to weight changes while others will gain or lose wt and their pressure doesn't move.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

What an exciting time in your life, Greg!! 

Our friend Bert was a photographer many years ago for a newspaper;  he showed me his album of the Presidents he's photographed, as well as pictures taken during the Civil Rights Movement, (he even got arrested for doing so), Dr. Martin Luther King, etc.  so many famous people and famous events he has had the privilege to photograph.  Sadly after his retirement he developed Macular Degeneration and lost his eyesight.

That’s so sad. I do have lots of stories to tell that’s for sure.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

What wonderful stories Bert must have shared.

Too bad some posts from yesterday afternoon were deleted..😔

Uh oh, I hadn't noticed. 🤔

I think I missed something the last couple days.   

Spent Wednesday and Thursday at the hospital in Pittsburgh with Susan.  She had surgery, and she is now out and on her road to recovery.  Dr. said things looked malignant, but they will not know until pathology comes back next week.   I wasn’t aware you could tell by looking.

• Like 3

And Greg @Sea Dog, weight loss will lower your blood pressure.  At least that is what I am seeing.  I think I mentioned I had been keeping a log of blood pressure readings, twice a day for the last six months.  My average has gone down about 10 points after losing those extra pounds.  Will have to see what my cardiologist has to say at my appointment in a couple weeks, since mine seems to be getting a little low now with the BP meds.  Hovering right around 97/60 now.

That’s my goal. I’m tired of taking all the meds.

Good for you Mark! I’m proud of you.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Also, some people blood pressure is very reactive to weight changes while others will gain or lose wt and their pressure doesn't move.

I guess I may be one of those fortunate ones.  Of course, maybe all my readings and averages don’t mean much either.  

Too bad some posts from yesterday afternoon were deleted..😔

We can't even talk about him??🙀  Not only the donation discussion, but also the posts about John and his "calendar" photo.

Opps....wrong thread re John. 🤪

Edited by taznremmy
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Dr. said things looked malignant, but they will not know until pathology comes back next week.   I wasn’t aware you could tell by looking.

Oh, Mark, not again. Enough is enough. I hope there is a mistake.

DH had his scheduled colonoscopy 2 days ago, and while waiting in the recovery room, I heard a doctor reassuring an elderly woman that she has no colon cancer. The woman asked exactly the same question -- "can you tell by looking" and she said: "yes".

Hopefully, Susan's case will be different 🤞

• Like 14

27 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

DH had his scheduled colonoscopy 2 days ago, and while waiting in the recovery room, I heard a doctor reassuring an elderly woman that she has no colon cancer. The woman asked exactly the same question -- "can you tell by looking" and she said: "yes".

+ 1 @h20skibum

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Spent Wednesday and Thursday at the hospital in Pittsburgh with Susan.  She had surgery, and she is now out and on her road to recovery.  Dr. said things looked malignant, but they will not know until pathology comes back next week.   I wasn’t aware you could tell by looking.

Oh no. I hope he was mistaken and the pathology will turn out OK. It's so hard to wait on those results.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Dr. said things looked malignant, but they will not know until pathology comes back next week.

Oh my, I wish you could edit in a longer time.  I meant to write benign, but it was too late to edit.  

All I know is we will both rest easier once the results are back.  

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

After looking at what they consider as a normal BMI for my 5’-8” height (that is a weight between 122 and 164), I realized I don’t know many “normal” people.

I really don’t think the BMI is an accurate indicator of a healthy weight. According to every BMI, calculator that I have tried for myself, to get into the normal range, I need to weigh 194 pounds.

I haven’t been 194 pounds since 1989.  I was addicted to crack and living in my car. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I think I missed something the last couple days.   

Not sure if I should ask any questions or not.😑

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

BMI is about one step above worthless and that is on the best of days. All it looks at is ht and wt and takes zero account of body composition. I take care of loads of teenage athletes who come out as obese by BMI but they have next to no fat on them and loads of muscle. Lean body mass throws off their BMI. I calculate body fat % as it gives you a much better health picture.

My weight loss has shown a significant improvement in my blood pressure. It’s not perfect, but it’s not terrible anymore. I’m at 139/75.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

If tha woman had no tumors or polyps then she doesn't have colon cancer.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

That’s my goal. I’m tired of taking all the meds.

Good for you Mark! I’m proud of you.

The doctor wanted me on statins. That was a big part of my motivation to get serious about my weight loss. There are all kinds of other benefits along with my lower blood pressure and lower cholesterol.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 5

On 10/6/2023 at 6:43 PM, grapau27 said:

We have been married 42 years but today was 44 years since we got engaged.

Dinner tonight.

I forgot to photo Pauline's haddock and chips.

IMG_20231006_181405.jpg

IMG_20231006_181408.jpg

IMG_20231006_185040.jpg

Happy Anniversary.

On 10/8/2023 at 1:14 PM, mo&fran said:

7 days after my last radiation treatment, the throat swelling went down and I had my first food that I swallowed. And I can talk again.

Throat is still pretty sore.

Things look positive for Oct 14 sail date.

That’s great to hear.

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Oh my, I wish you could edit in a longer time.  I meant to write benign, but it was too late to edit.  

All I know is we will both rest easier once the results are back.  

Our prayers 🙏 are with you both for good news Mark.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

I hope you are all safe and well Dani.🙏

I hope your DH got the all clear from his colonoscopy.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, George C said:

I am sure I would be 40 pounds lighter if I gave up my liquor and I like richer 😁😁,  but that’s not happening. My local Walmart had some sinuous small black and white New York style cookies, they will not last long .

OOOO I love me some NY black and whites!  I've seen them in Walmart also but didn't want to be disappointed.  Are they yummy?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

OOOO I love me some NY black and whites!  I've seen them in Walmart also but didn't want to be disappointed.  Are they yummy?

My wife said they were the best cookies she ever had and I agree, I normally don’t go to Walmart that often but definitely will buy them on every visit . 
   Wife will get her colonoscopy in next couple of months, I know I am due sometime next year, not fun but definitely needed . 

• Like 2

So I made it a me day and went to Santa Monica. Spent the afternoon at the pier and now I’m wandering and shopping  downtown just off Santa Monica Blvd on 3rd up and down the promenade.  DW is with DD for a few days so I’ve been baching it. Gorgeous weather and a great day so far today. 

I’m waiting to take some sunset pics from the beach around 615 PDT. Then I’ll plan the evening. 

IMG_1373.thumb.jpeg.2e0372d25108a9fa756e2f9f27a905bf.jpeg

sliders and HH margaritas. 

IMG_1376.thumb.jpeg.7d0c957444787a3baa06a58f5753c0bd.jpeg

IMG_1383.thumb.jpeg.e71d08f05ac4d69d1def070449f01445.jpeg

IMG_1382.thumb.jpeg.3d6675d6945cdc4c323c39c3b99f78a9.jpeg

IMG_1384.thumb.png.15f73270845033ef2d76f64c8c0abc26.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2