Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

17 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Too bad he got himself banned from CC and now most of us get info second hand.

Sorry to hear he's been ill. Such a great character, he was so generous with his time doing great blogs

I was so looking forward to his world cruise blog 😕

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 10

9 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

My goal was to lose 12 pounds before the cruise. I'm at 200 pounds. I weighed 250 before my right knee replacement. I want to get down to 175 eventually and get off blood pressure meds.

Congratulations on your weight loss , 50lbs is amazing, you must feel so much better 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, mo&fran said:

Looks like we will be boarding Adventure this Saturday. I have been eating real food, although I still have my tube. I will bring some food containers, but I shouldn't be needing much, WE cleared all of this with the oncologist. although we still have one last appointment tomorrow.

We will be on for three weeks.

Excellent news!   I wish you a Very Happy 80th Birthday cruise(s).   Enjoy to the fullest.  💐

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

@A&L_Ont

Same question,

and .... how do u trim back furniture?? 😉

9 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I had the same question☺️😇

Or he sits on the bushes. 

Nothing but the softest hydrangeas for but butt. 😂

• Haha 4

I may have told this story here before, but many of us are at an age where we tell the same stories over and over again so...

When my brother got married 30 something years ago, his reception was in half of the large ballroom at a Marriott hotel in Buffalo.  The other half was used by the New England Patriots who were in town that weekend to play the Bills.  That was when Doug Flutie played for the Pats.  Both my mother and father were from the Boston area, so many of our aunts and female friends of our parents were visiting from Boston as well for the wedding.  When they heard that Flutie was next door, they "crashed" the Patriots side of the ballroom so they could meet/see/touch/feel/breath that same air as Flutie.  They were like teenaged girls seeing the Beatles come to America.  I don't know what magic powers Flutie had (still has?), but he was able to drive women of a certain age crazy.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

In spite of that and my efforts to like it it just never gabbed me.

I feel the same way about football.  I'll watch it with a group of friends but really have no interest. I feel so un-American. 😆  Maybe if Taylor Swift is at a game, I might. (joking!)

Once again, my Father-in-law would watch it from noon to midnight every Sunday no matter who was playing.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

A little late but weighing in on the "watching sports on TV" discussion!  This family is like Andrew's, we watch multiple sports all the time, except not baseball.  EPL soccer is our first love (specifically Manchester United), followed by football (college and pro), golf, hockey and college basketball.  Dave and I moved from Chicago to Michigan (his home state) in the spring of 1997 when the Red Wings started their championship years.  It was so exciting.  Then we had a taste of the Tigers doing well and also the Pistons!  Now those three teams have been rebuilding for years, but this year we have some real hope in the Lions😆!  Sometimes when there are multiple sporting events on TV at the same day/time we call it a "sporgy" (hope that doesn't get me a time out)!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

I absolutely do not.  They charge you for a bad cake, and they sing happy birthday to you, like Tarzan, frankenstein and Tonto…. SNL when it was funny.  I truly hate it, and have avoided it for years now.  For any special occassion.  I am more likely to tell the bartenders…. 😆

Jim hates the attention of a cake and singing at a restaurant.  I know not to mention it to the waiter/waitress, but if we're out with friends, and if one of them mentions Jim's Birthday, he will let them(waiter/waitress) know how he absolutely does not wish to be acknowledged with the cake and singing.  A dear friend of ours, when it's his Birthday,...he loves it!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Try watching golf all day long with your father-in-law and two brother-in-laws. I mean, really watch it , glued to the TV all day Sunday.  Watching grass grow is more exciting.

That is my SIL!  Loves golf so much, she was a volunteer Ranger at the Golf Course for years and was rewarded with free golf privileges.

Same love for baseball, ever since she was a kid growing up with the Brooklyn Dodgers.  She's been  a tried and true Mets fan for years.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I would love to have it in January but I don't think it would work.   We were unable to get an accessible room for this cruise so I don't know if it would fit through the door.  Also I don't want to risk damage flying with it.  We are currently working on getting the Highlander set up to be able to haul it on a hatch but driving from here to Miami is almost a 17 hour drive without stopping so I don't think I could handle that.

We are in a guaranteed balcony.   I wish we could confirm the width of the door.  If we are unable to rent a scooter or electric wheelchair we have the Rollator that converts to a transport chair.

I am sure we will enjoy meeting up!

All std balcony doors will accommodate a scooter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I feel the same way about football.  I'll watch it with a group of friends but really have no interest. I feel so un-American. 😆  Maybe if Taylor Swift is at a game, I might. (joking!)

Once again, my Father-in-law would watch it from noon to midnight every Sunday no matter who was playing.

I never got into football..I only went to the High School Football game on Thanksgiving between two of the Rival HS teams.  It was too cold for me to sit through the games, so no interest was formed.  I will sit through a Super Bowl game in a friends house, partaking of the wonderful food and snacks, as well as the commercials.  Now that my grandson is in the HS Marching Band, I go to all of the home games, and am finally becoming interested and trying to learn what is actually going on.  I mean, I do know what a "Touchdown" is!  The rest will come...😁

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I have never understood America's fascination with baseball.  It is an interminably boring game.  <fire suit on>

If you had a chance to see Last Night's Phillies Game, it  was definitely not boring.

• Like 5

In our house Jim will have sports on most often.  Fortunately he has his "office" with 2 tvs where most of that takes place.  He records a lot of then fast forwards through the slow parts.  Me on the other hand only does sports watching as a social event.  I would much rather go to a live event than watch on TV, or watch as a group so that I can someone else to talk to.

My dad was a big Mets fan so learned about baseball early.  I did go to my HS football games but never really paid much attention other than touchdowns.  My son is somewhat athletic, did baseball for many years and football for a while, his Pop Warner team made it to the playoffs in Disney 1 of those years, learned a lot about football during that time.  He realized individual sports were more his thing, he excelled at javelin in HS and is now onto golf.

• Like 2

I was never a sports person as I was a musician as a young child and never played sports let alone watch them.

Imagine my surprise after changing careers and my first broadcast job as a cameraman was shooting sports. I quickly learned and ended up shooting a lot of games of the KC Chiefs. Our station had the coaches show in the 1980’s so I covered the Chiefs on all their home and away games even flying on the team plane for 12 years.

I got to know and develop friendships with a lot of the players. I learned a lot about the game. People ask about going to a game. I tell them I’m not interested. I saw the game every weekend on the sidelines.  Why would I want to sit in the stands.

Now I prefer to watch on television. I can see more. My wife is amazed that I can anticipate a particular play or see a penalty right before the ref throws the flag. It’s been fun lately.

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Same love for baseball, ever since she was a kid growing up with the Brooklyn Dodgers.  She's been  a tried and true Mets fan for years.

It seems like most Dodger fans switched to the Mets when the Dodgers "abandoned" Brooklyn for Los Angeles. 

3 hours ago, George C said:

Social Security just announced a 3.2 raise for next year which will give me a good bottle of scotch or wine 😁😁

Jack told me about the raise maybe 5 mins. before I read your post. 😃 Not a windfall but every penny counts. 

You sure do like your spirits. 😉

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Imagine my surprise after changing careers and my first broadcast job as a cameraman was shooting sports. I quickly learned and ended up shooting a lot of games of the KC Chiefs. Our station had the coaches show in the 1980’s so I covered the Chiefs on all their home and away games even flying on the team plane for 12 years.

What an exciting time in your life, Greg!! 

Our friend Bert was a photographer many years ago for a newspaper;  he showed me his album of the Presidents he's photographed, as well as pictures taken during the Civil Rights Movement, (he even got arrested for doing so), Dr. Martin Luther King, etc.  so many famous people and famous events he has had the privilege to photograph.  Sadly after his retirement he developed Macular Degeneration and lost his eyesight.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

My goal was to lose 12 pounds before the cruise. I'm at 200 pounds. I weighed 250 before my right knee replacement. I want to get down to 175 eventually and get off blood pressure meds.

21 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Congrats on the weight loss Greg @Sea Dog.  I'm on the same journey but I started further behind and still have a long ways to go.  I was 296# when I boarded Navigator of the Seas Jan 30 of this year.  I weighed 254# this morning. Except for one week in March (Oasis of the Seas w/ UDP) It's been slow but steady progress.  I'm 6'2" so I can handle a little bit more weight but my goal is 230#

Congrats to both of you.

I am ashamed to admit that I put on a few extra pounds while watching our grandson all summer.  I guess I can’t eat the same quantities of bad food like an 11 year old can.  So after her went home in August, I started eating healthy, low calorie meals.   I had a goal to lose 20 pounds, which would get me out of that “overweight” BMI range and back into the “normal” range.

After looking at what they consider as a normal BMI for my 5’-8” height (that is a weight between 122 and 164), I realized I don’t know many “normal” people.

And Greg @Sea Dog, weight loss will lower your blood pressure.  At least that is what I am seeing.  I think I mentioned I had been keeping a log of blood pressure readings, twice a day for the last six months.  My average has gone down about 10 points after losing those extra pounds.  Will have to see what my cardiologist has to say at my appointment in a couple weeks, since mine seems to be getting a little low now with the BP meds.  Hovering right around 97/60 now.

• Like 9

42 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

What an exciting time in your life, Greg!! 

Our friend Bert was a photographer many years ago for a newspaper;  he showed me his album of the Presidents he's photographed, as well as pictures taken during the Civil Rights Movement, (he even got arrested for doing so), Dr. Martin Luther King, etc.  so many famous people and famous events he has had the privilege to photograph.  Sadly after his retirement he developed Macular Degeneration and lost his eyesight.

What wonderful stories Bert must have shared.

38 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Too bad some posts from yesterday afternoon were deleted..😔

Uh oh, I hadn't noticed. 🤔

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BonTexasNY said:

What wonderful stories Bert must have shared.

Uh oh, I hadn't noticed. 🤔

Bonnie, yes, he did!  Bert was such a wonderful person, as well as a true gentleman!  Bert was married to our 91 year old friend, Lois.

I didn't know about it until I saw on our FB page and our friend mentioned it.  I told her I was glad I had donated before the info got deleted.  I then came on here and looked over the posts since yesterday, and yep..gone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1