Now for something completely different

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

We are expecting it to get below 0 celcius over night and through the day tomorrow so that means black ice so we will be driving the Forester tomorrow it has superior all wheel drive and Michelin X-Ice tires. (or is that tyres 🤔)

This snow stuff.... is a bit of novelty to us Lyle... not use it to it

Only place we have run into it... is Tasmania

Ready to leave in morning... after clearing the windows etc

1134055084_snowIMG_2134.thumb.jpg.caca12969b4d3f55775ce3d842ae21af.jpg

We followed the snow plough

809270282_snowIMG_2142.thumb.jpg.0ca640dd67a867b3a933a00f921b2d16.jpg

This is more like what we are use to again in Tassie

we watched a 4x4 go through first.... and we are on a causeway and there is a bridge under the water up ahead as well

about 250m of water cover road

480676237_floodIMG_2901.thumb.jpg.31a721e1bb36a29f0e4797f0005f870a.jpg

Cheers Don

Edited by getting older slowly

Funny thing Don, That's what our Forester looked like when I got home. Lynn took it upon herself to clear it off so it wouldn't be frozen solid in the morning. Looks like a sand bar in the canal there, careful you don't run your tinny aground 😉

Edited by Blackduck59

18 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Which is why Buchart Gardens does so well?

I think Butchart Gardens does so well because they have hundreds of professional gardeners working there, and the weather helps. We haven't been out there for a few years now, even though it is beautiful it really hasn't changed much in 55 years. There are several free gardens in Victoria that change over the years. We haven't gone for the "Winter Lights" display maybe next year, I think it was cancelled for this year.

11 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm thinking our resident New Yorker is laughing at my wet coast "snow" story. Of course it is warmer there than here right now 🤔

I heard it gets a bit wet there Lyle,no wonder you want to come down under.

But we are expecting the tail end of the monsoon in the next few months.

4 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Happy boxing day to my friends down under and Merry Christmas to the rest of us a Day behind.

Had Lynn's Mom over for Brunch. We did a little buffet.

Merry Christmas Lyle and Lynn.  Hope you have a wonderul day. 

Leigh

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Happy boxing day to my friends down under and Merry Christmas to the rest of us a Day behind.

buffet.thumb.jpg.46011872e4176af05e9e9edf15f1423a.jpg328939575_Brunch2.thumb.jpg.14cb7c02d83fae97749a8fe2ff0bdb60.jpg

That is an impressive bullet Lyle for one guest.  Hope Lynn and you and your MIL enjoyed her Christmas Day visit. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

That is an impressive bullet Lyle for one guest.  Hope Lynn and you and your MIL enjoyed her Christmas Day visit. 

It was a wonderful day, we sent quite a lot of the buffet home with Lynn's mom, so she can share with her friends at the assisted living community. They are lifting some of the restrictions so they are able to visit each other in their suites. And they are having some meals in the dining room now.

Edited by Blackduck59
typo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

buffet.thumb.jpg.46011872e4176af05e9e9edf15f1423a.jpg328939575_Brunch2.thumb.jpg.14cb7c02d83fae97749a8fe2ff0bdb60.jpg

Holy moly Lyle, magnificient, beats my ham and cheese toastie, lol.😞

17 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Cheers Les, we like doing things like this and Lynn's mom is a bit of a shut in with the Covid restrictions, they just now are actually allowing short visits away from the facility with small groups. In our case Lynn and I at our house, made for a great day. Sorry that you got caught alone with the travel uncertainty. Lynn sends her best wishes as do I. If we were a little closer we would be happy to do a buffet for you. We even had some Australian Cheddar on the plate, we liked it very much, it was not heavily aged though so maybe a little lame for your palate.

We grazed on the buffet for much of the day. We really didn't do "dinner" we have some turkey we will probably roast tomorrow. I am beginning to rebel against the "expected" Turkey that is the norm in many Canadian homes. Next year Prime rib or fondue or stone grilled foods at the table anything different from Turkey. Maybe I'll get some Nova Scotia Lobster.

Edited by Blackduck59

20 minutes ago, NSWP said:

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Cheers Les, we like doing things like this and Lynn's mom is a bit of a shut in with the Covid restrictions, they just now are actually allowing short visits away from the facility with small groups. In our case Lynn and I at our house, made for a great day. Sorry that you got caught alone with the travel uncertainty. Lynn sends her best wishes as do I. If we were a little closer we would be happy to do a buffet for you. We even had some Australian Cheddar on the plate, we liked it very much, it was not heavily aged though so maybe a little lame for your palate.

We grazed on the buffet for much of the day. We really didn't do "dinner" we have some turkey we will probably roast tomorrow. I am beginning to rebel against the "expected" Turkey that is the norm in many Canadian homes. Next year Prime rib or fondue or stone grilled foods at the table anything different from Turkey. Maybe I'll get some Nova Scotia Lobster.

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Lyle you did real well, if i grazed on your masterpiece all day, i would knock off a couple of bottles of wine with it. Yes, Aussie cheddar is great,cheese.jpg.374444054b93d8ebc1e15ed94e714917.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

And here is most of the rest of the clan

397909384_theclan.thumb.jpg.c3a42538a490d9ddf4d1ac446924471b.jpg

There are some others hanging out in other rooms.

Like the Santa doll museum, do you charge admission Lyle? When the cruises start again, could be a shore excursion - 'The Lyle Santa Doll Museum.' You could them lunch too and charge $70 a head, minus commission to the cruise line of course. lol.

Edited by NSWP

16 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Like the Santa doll museum, do you charge admission Lyle? When the cruises start again, could be a shore excursion - 'The Lyle Santa Doll Museum.'

The snow people is all Lynn. We have a rather large Christmas village that we haven't set up for a couple years, I'm the driver behind that. It's a lot of work with lots of low voltage wiring and power bars for the transformers. Maybe next year

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 4

Here is another version of the village with the lights on, we didn't set up the train that year.

We want to add a working ski lift for the "ski hill" but that will require even more planning. It takes days to set up and we don't really have enough people coming to see it.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Amazing dsplays of villages and trains, you are a very creative person Lyle.

Thanks Les, it's fun to do and when there were little nieces and nephews and friends with little ones that watched in amazement it was cool. Now the little ones aren't that little anymore so no spectators. Maybe when we move we will set it up again.

On 12/27/2020 at 6:22 AM, Blackduck59 said:

And here is most of the rest of the clan

There are some others hanging out in other rooms.

I didn't realise they were snow people.  When I looked back, I could tell they were.  Coming from the tropics, that is my first look at a collection of snow people.  I didn't put my collection of soft Christmas dolls under the tree this year, because we have dogs now who I thought might think they were their toys.  Saw one give a gentle nudge of a Christmas ball on the tree, but that was all.  They didn't even attack the tree to reach the dog treats present put high up on the tree.  However, I did see them looking up longingly.  You'll have to put up your village next year, Lyle, as it is too beautiful to not display.  A working ski lift would be an impressive addition.  One of my NY friends had a working train set which went around her Christmas tree.  She even decorated outside on a grand scale.  My children thought her unit was magical. 

I was trying to figure out the ski lift on my own but found out there are commercially available ones that are made in Germany. A little pricey but cool. We had been adding a new major piece every year for several years. We also change the layout every year.

Got home yesterday arvo after spending Christmas with my sister, BIL, neices, and great neices and nephew. The M1 now makes for a quick trip south from Bisvegas. Just under 800klms in just under 8 hours. I just set the cruise control and enjoy the ride. The Forester will do a bit over 1000klms on a tank of diesel. Average for the trip was 5.8 l/100klm with the air con on.

52 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Got home yesterday arvo after spending Christmas with my sister, BIL, neices, and great neices and nephew. The M1 now makes for a quick trip south from Bisvegas. Just under 800klms in just under 8 hours. I just set the cruise control and enjoy the ride. The Forester will do a bit over 1000klms on a tank of diesel. Average for the trip was 5.8 l/100klm with the air con on.

That was a good trip home at this time of year.  Just got an email from my daughters to say 5 hours from Coast to Dorrigo on new road.  

20 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

That was a good trip home at this time of year.  Just got an email from my daughters to say 5 hours from Coast to Dorrigo on new road.  

Coffs Harbour is the only hold up but getting through was ok.

Dorrigo is a nice place. There's an excellent colletion of railway rolling stock there. Hundreds of wagons, cars and locos etc. You can see it on Google Earth.

12 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Coffs Harbour is the only hold up but getting through was ok.

Dorrigo is a nice place. There's an excellent colletion of railway rolling stock there. Hundreds of wagons, cars and locos etc. You can see it on Google Earth.

There is talk of a tourist train operating from Dorrigo using the trains of the Dorrigo Steam and Rail Museum. Unfortunately, the talk has not resulted in it happening.