Miami Herald story Crew too expensive to send home.

Quo Vadis?

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article241708641.html

there have been several stories about cruise ships transporting crew to Asia but thousands are stuck

won’t edit ....

The link does not work but look for:

Cruise companies refuse CDC terms to repatriate crew, call transport ‘too expensive’

Edited by Argo.

1 hour ago, Argo. said:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article241708641.html

there have been several stories about cruise ships transporting crew to Asia but thousands are stuck.

And there are hundreds of thousands of other merchant mariners who are in the same situation, but you don't hear about them because they crew change 4-5 at a time, and most ports worldwide don't allow crew changes anymore, or there are flight restrictions to the crew's home.  At least the cruise lines could take advantage of charter flights to get a couple of hundred crew home at one time, or as some have done, to use one or more of their ships to take them home.  Merchant mariners, of whom cruise ship crews are a small part, account for 100,000 crew changes every single month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Safety is obviously at the forefront, but I do feel like the CDC is being very unreasonable in their requirements. 

Agreed.  I know there were infections on cruise ships, but I feel like the CDC has targeted the ships because of the media attention.  Cruise lines did not bring the virus to NYC....passengers returning from Europe on planes did.  

Edited by drlucy12
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, drlucy12 said:

Agreed.  I know there were infections on cruise ships, but I feel like the CDC has targeted the ships because of the media attention.  Cruise lines did not bring the virus to NYC....passengers returning from Europe on planes did.  

And you know this as a fact?

11 minutes ago, drlucy12 said:

Interesting conjecture. While it's possible that no one in NYC was infected by someone from a cruise, we know for a fact that a number of Canadian cases were the direct result of cruise passengers bringing it home with them.

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

Interesting conjecture. While it's possible that no one in NYC was infected by someone from a cruise, we know for a fact that a number of Canadian cases were the direct result of cruise passengers bringing it home with them.

True.  NYC is likely a combo of factors - planes, public transportation, population density, cruise ship passengers....

• Like 1

"For each person who disembarks, the company’s Chief Medical Officer, Chief Compliance Officer, and Chief Executive Officer must sign an agreement to these terms that says, “false or misleading statements or omissions may result in criminal and civil actions for fines, penalties, damages, and imprisonment.”

It’s that last part that cruise companies are unwilling to do "

LoL, so how many omissions and misleading statements have they already made at this point.

• Like 2

Really bad ....not treating their staff very well!  The more I learn, the less I like the cruise industry!

They may have trouble recruiting crew members in the future...Hope these people get home safe and soon.

• Like 3

I’m sure most would like to go home but from what I have seen on various social media sights the ones on  celebrity ships are staying in guest accommodations ( not sharing)  and are being treated well. 

• Like 1

I read this in the article about ships in San Diego.  You would think the major lines would work together to divide up the crew and get them home.

Some 18 Carnival ships will rendezvous in the Bahamas over the next several days, the line said Wednesday, as part of a plan to use nine of those ships for returning more than 10,000 healthy crew members to their homes.

15 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I don't think anyone would suggest that there were no cases of the virus that came about as a result of being on a cruise ship...we know that many did. But the vast majority of rapid spread has been linked to world wide and then domestic air travel.  Same sources mentioned above.  The cruise lines got way more attention, of course and there were some questionable tactics used by some lines as it relates to their handling of the virus which could have exacerbated the spread.  It's all just arm chair quarterbacking at this point...

8 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

I read this in the article about ships in San Diego.  You would think the major lines would work together to divide up the crew and get them home.

Some 18 Carnival ships will rendezvous in the Bahamas over the next several days, the line said Wednesday, as part of a plan to use nine of those ships for returning more than 10,000 healthy crew members to their homes.

Well that guarantees that at least 9 ships aren't cruising with pax anytime soon.

From the RCI website:

"The safety and security of our guests and crew is our highest priority."

Omitted is the second half of that sentence:

" - except if it's expensive or might interfere with Fain's bonus."

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/royal-caribbean-crew-member-party-coronavirus-cruises

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I don't think anyone would suggest that there were no cases of the virus that came about as a result of being on a cruise ship...we know that many did. But the vast majority of rapid spread has been linked to world wide and then domestic air travel.  Same sources mentioned above.  The cruise lines got way more attention, of course and there were some questionable tactics used by some lines as it relates to their handling of the virus which could have exacerbated the spread.  It's all just arm chair quarterbacking at this point...

Personally I don’t see how anyone could really believe that the spread of the virus around the world was anything other than air travel. The virus started in New York because of a cruise ship, highly unlikely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yorky said:

Personally I don’t see how anyone could really believe that the spread of the virus around the world was anything other than air travel. The virus started in New York because of a cruise ship, highly unlikely.

Exactly.  The cruise lines are in the headlines because of their unique issues in dealing with the virus once it was onboard.  I am certainly not defending all of them for the way they handled it, but it was definitely not them who was spreading it.   How would it get to the cruise ships in the first place?  From passengers who FLEW to the ships from infected countries.

• Like 1

I feel very sad for the crew members. I really hope that they are doing alright. I just heard about a family of crew members from the Philipins who got back home safely not that long ago. I am sure these men and women also have families who are waiting for them to come back home. I think its the duty of those multi-billion companies to take them back home. They served enough to have some time with their families. 

55 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Exactly.  The cruise lines are in the headlines because of their unique issues in dealing with the virus once it was onboard.  I am certainly not defending all of them for the way they handled it, but it was definitely not them who was spreading it.   How would it get to the cruise ships in the first place?  From passengers who FLEW to the ships from infected countries.

The CDC disagrees with you:

"The Director of CDC finds that cruise ship travel exacerbates the global spread of COVID-19 and that the scope of this pandemic is inherently and necessarily a problem that is international and interstate in nature and has not been controlled sufficiently by the cruise ship industry or individual State or local health authorities.  As described in the March 14, 2020 Order, cruise ship travel markedly increases the risk and impact of the COVID-19 disease outbreak within the United States."  (Bold added)

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/04/15/2020-07930/no-sail-order-and-suspension-of-further-embarkation-notice-of-modification-and-extension-and-other

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

"The Director of CDC finds that cruise ship travel exacerbates the global spread of COVID-19 and that the scope of this pandemic is inherently and necessarily a problem that is international and interstate in nature and has not been controlled sufficiently by the cruise ship industry or individual State or local health authorities.  As described in the March 14, 2020 Order, cruise ship travel markedly increases the risk and impact of the COVID-19 disease outbreak within the United States."  (Bold added)

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/04/15/2020-07930/no-sail-order-and-suspension-of-further-embarkation-notice-of-modification-and-extension-and-other

I am not arguing about cruise ships or the fact that they contributed to the spread of the virus.  However I do find it odd that the CDC did not address the airline industry.  

23 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

That March report was almost certainly before we had data like this:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-08/most-nyc-covid-19-cases-came-from-europe-genome-researchers-say

The explosion of Covid-19 cases in the New York City area resulted largely from infected patients who flew in from Europe, genome scientists say.

Researchers at NYU Langone Health said they’ve analyzed 75 samples from patients who were diagnosed with Covid-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, at New York-area hospitals last month.

I am also not saying cruise ships didn't have a unique and unfortunate role to play in this pandemic, but it's clear the US problem was well underway before most people ever heard the phrase 'Diamond Princess'. 

The only country I can think of whose COVID19 numbers from cruise passengers are even a blip on their total number is maybe Australia? But I haven't kept up with that story lately. 

Edited by AdoraBelle
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AdoraBelle said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-08/most-nyc-covid-19-cases-came-from-europe-genome-researchers-say

I am also not saying cruise ships didn't have a unique and unfortunate role to play in this pandemic, but it's clear the US problem was well underway before most people ever heard the phrase 'Diamond Princess'. 

The only country I can think of whose COVID19 numbers from cruise passengers are even a blip on their total number is maybe Australia? But I haven't kept up with that story lately. 

However, at one point cruise ship related cases accounted for 17% of the then identified cases in the US. One of the reasons they recommended against cruising.

The Diamond had more cases than the rest of Japan during that event.

The major point against cruise ships, as indicated by Dr Fauci is the attack rate of the virus in a cruise ship environment.  That it is higher then in any other setting.  In other words the virus spreads faster and to more people on a cruise ship.  Get one infected person on board and it will spread extremely quickly.

So yes the virus has distributed wider by other means, it spreads faster among a cruise ship population than other places.

Edited by npcl
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, AdoraBelle said:

The Bloomberg article came out on April 8.  One week later (according to the Federal Register link), the CDC reiterated its March finding that cruise ship travel exacerbates the global spread of COVID-19.  So the research that the article reported didn't cause the CDC to change its position.

Edited by DaveSJ711
  • Like 3