Masks probably required

1 hour ago, jptoz said:

Do you think cruise lines should come up with a policy ,where they refund your money or a FCC for a cruise if you get sick on the cruise. I think a lot of people get sick and dont say anything. Thus infecting more people. Note: I have never gotten sick on a cruise, Hungover hell yeah.

So on the last night after people visit guest service to remove their auto-gratuities they will head down to medical to get their FCC.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jptoz said:

Do you think cruise lines should come up with a policy ,where they refund your money or a FCC for a cruise if you get sick on the cruise. I think a lot of people get sick and dont say anything. Thus infecting more people. Note: I have never gotten sick on a cruise, Hungover hell yeah.

The cruise line already gives passengers a FCC for days that you are quarantined in your cabin due to an illness.  They also provide free room service and in cabin movies during quarantine.

38 minutes ago, KsucAts said:

I think once those numbers are factored in, the number is closer to .1% or less.  

Actually it's down to 0.01 % now

https://www.dailywire.com/news/stanford-professors-coronavirus-death-rate-estimate-likely-orders-of-magnitude-too-high

There's a WSJ article that says the same thing but it's behind a paywall.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tree_skier said:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/stanford-professors-coronavirus-death-rate-estimate-likely-orders-of-magnitude-too-high

Thank you for finding that.  It is crazy that so many people still don't think it is time to go back to normal now that these numbers are known.  This virus is extremely contageous, but not nearly as deadly as originally thought. 

I wish I could get a test, because I wouldn't be surprised if I had it (with no symptoms) because I went through New Orleans airport 2 weeks after Mardi Gras.  My kids have also worked at the local Kroger and Wal-Mart the last 6 weeks or so.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

When talking about rate of death, are we talking about the percentage of the general population that dies from the illness, or the percentage of the people that catch the illness that end up dying (which is commonly how flu death rate is stated)?  It's not clear in the article you provided.  Also, the article is over a month old, and the number of deaths has basically doubled since it was written.

Edited by time4u2go

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

When talking about rate of death, are we talking about the percentage of the general population that dies from the illness, or the percentage of the people that catch the illness that end up dying (which is commonly how flu death rate is stated)?  It's not clear in the article you provided.  Also, the article is over a month old, and the number of deaths has basically doubled since it was written.

If you check the WHO website, situation report 111 dated May 10, the mortality rate in the USA is reported as 0.06% of all confirmed positive tests. 
Once one ads in the presumptive positive asymptotic patients the rate would fall considerably. 

9 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

If you check the WHO website, situation report 111 dated May 10, the mortality rate in the USA is reported as 0.06% of all confirmed positive tests. 
Once one ads in the presumptive positive asymptotic patients the rate would fall considerably. 

This say otherwise...  about 5.9% mortality rate. 

Source

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

15 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I think you are misplacing decimal points.  The report you cited shows this:

Number of deaths = 75,364

Number of confirmed cases = 1,245,775

75,364/1,245,775 = 0.06, which is 6%, not 0.06%.

Compare that with the flu, which typically has a mortality rate of 0.1%.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I think you are misplacing decimal points.  The report you cited shows this:

Number of deaths = 75,364

Number of confirmed cases = 1,245,775

75,364/1,245,775 = 0.06, which is 6%, not 0.06%.

Compare that with the flu, which typically has a mortality rate of 0.1%.

You are correct, my error. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, time4u2go said:

That's what I've been seeing also...about 6%.  Here's another source:

https://covid19info.live/us/

That 6% does not reflect the difference in the morbidly rate due to age, access to medical care etc.  A 40year old does not have the same chance of dying from COVID as an 80 yr old. That statistic is misleading in that respect. It also does not factor in the health of the person when infected.

You have a much higher chance of dying if you reside in a nursing home...I’m sure you have seen the statistics across every state for that tragic situation., 

https://ourworldindata.org/mortality-risk-covid

“The case fatality rate isn’t constant: it changes with the context

Sometimes journalists talk about the CFR as if it’s a single, steady number, an unchanging fact about the disease. This is a particular bad example from the New York Times in the early days of the COVID-19 outbreak.

But it’s not a biological constant; instead, it reflects the severity of the disease in a particular context, at a particular time, in a particular population. 

The probability that someone dies from a disease doesn’t just depend on the disease itself, but also on the treatment they receive, and on the patient’s own ability to recover from it.

This means that the CFR can decrease or increase over time, as responses change; and that it can vary by location and by the characteristics of the infected population, such as age, or sex. For instance, older populations would expect to see a higher CFR from COVID-19 than younger populations.

1 minute ago, hazence said:

That 6% does not reflect the difference in the morbidly rate due to age, access to medical care etc.  A 40year old does not have the same chance of dying from COVID as an 80 yr old. That statistic is misleading in that respect. It also does not factor in the health of the person when infected.

You have a much higher chance of dying if you reside in a nursing home...I’m sure you have seen the statistics across every state for that tragic situation., 

Sometimes journalists talk about the CFR as if it’s a single, steady number, an unchanging fact about the disease. This is a particular bad example from the New York Times in the early days of the COVID-19 outbreak.

But it’s not a biological constant; instead, it reflects the severity of the disease in a particular context, at a particular time, in a particular population. 

The probability that someone dies from a disease doesn’t just depend on the disease itself, but also on the treatment they receive, and on the patient’s own ability to recover from it.

This means that the CFR can decrease or increase over time, as responses change; and that it can vary by location and by the characteristics of the infected population, such as age, or sex. For instance, older populations would expect to see a higher CFR from COVID-19 than younger populations.

I don't disagree.  It is different for different age groups and different levels of overall health, just like the flu.

BTW, you forgot to mention Chris Cuomo. 😉😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, hazence said:

Plus all deaths counted are deaths with Covid and not deaths from Covid.  If a person in hospice with cancer dies of cancer and happens to test positive for covid, that counts as a covid death.  It will be amazing to see how covid has cured cancer and other diseases when comparing the number of deaths for those to prior years.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I don't disagree.  It is different for different age groups and different levels of overall health, just like the flu.

BTW, you forgot to mention Chris Cuomo. 😉😁

I’m slipping.😎 Too much happy Mothers Day. Hope you had a good day too! 

19 minutes ago, hazence said:

Again, this site you keep quoting is nothing more than an estimate. The current actual numbers are closer to 6%. No matter what your Zip Code looks like. 

The problem with COVID19, many people are infected and don’t know it as they are Asymptomatic. They can and are actively infecting others. 

• Like 1

The death rate is not material to the dead or their loved ones. 

There is little known about the long term effects on the recovered. Just because most seem to be asymptomatic does not mean there are no delayed issues.  

With so little known I do wonder at the rush to undertake risky and unnecessary activities.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

The problem with COVID19, many people are infected and don’t know it as they are Asymptomatic. They can and are actively infecting others. 

And if they were identified would probably drive the overall mortality rate way down.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Again, this site you keep quoting is nothing more than an estimate. The current actual numbers are closer to 6%. No matter what your Zip Code looks like. 

Not this one.Read the whole thing. It’s just pointing out what you and I agreed about on another thread. 

Yes, 6% of the entire infected population of the world died. 

But that doesn’t mean you, I , a 30 year old, a Navaho living with no running water, a 50 yr old with lung cancer, a nursing home patient all have the same chance of dying.,

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

And if they were identified would probably drive the overall mortality rate way down.

I agree with that. I’ve been saying that as well. But we don’t know what we don’t know. It’s a Catch 22. 

I was looking at statistics regarding numbers tested and positive. Most States seem to be right around 10% or less. Some States are significantly higher. 

4 minutes ago, hazence said:

Not this one.Read the whole thing. It’s just pointing out what you and I agreed about on another thread. 

Yes, 6% of the entire infected population of the world died. 

But that doesn’t mean you, I , a 30 year old, a Navaho living with no running water, a 50 yr old with lung cancer, a nursing home patient all have the same chance of dying.,

I read it, did you?  Here is where it says it’s just an “estimate “. 

A99ACC5A-9D9B-4700-9B1D-481FD46A4CF7.png