Masks probably required

Looks like with so many people saying they won't cruise with a mask it's going to be easy for Royal to get down to the 50% capacity mark without having to bump anybody.  At 50% capacity the bigger ships will feel like you are in a ghost town.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 5

Not doing it either. I really dislike the idea of wearing a mask. Whilst I can see the argument for wearing them on a crowded train for example, I really don't think that I would want to cruise wearing one all of the time. It wouldn't feel like a vacation at all.

Had 11 years of great cruises so I guess that a year or two off will do no harm.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

But think of what you will save on flights😇

True, great silver lining... More cruising less flying sounds good.  I'm hoping they do 5-5-4's out of LA that would actually be perfect for me to schedule cruises without actually missing any work.

Edited by Tree_skier

10 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Looks like with so many people saying they won't cruise with a mask it's going to be easy for Royal to get down to the 50% capacity mark without having to bump anybody.  At 50% capacity the bigger ships will feel like you are in a ghost town.

Highly doubt it.  The pent-up demand alone will fill the first 50%, followed by those who want to try to cruise for their 1st or 2nd time, or higher-status regulars.  Once cruising reopens for business full-time, it'll be way more than 50% passenger ratios onboard.

30 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

As soon as my July Alaska cruise hit final payment it dropped to about a 40% occupancy.  It was about 3 weeks ago that I checked.  I bet its a lot lower now.

25 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

True, great silver lining... More cruising less flying sounds good.  I'm hoping they do 5-5-4's out of LA that would actually be perfect for me to schedule cruises without actually missing any work.

Not missing work...this just became more dangerous

2 hours ago, johnjen said:

Here we go.....that's it. WE ARE DONE.

Please, RCL, if you are reading this - CANCEL THE CRUISE booked for 22 June out of Amsterdam, all we want is a REFUND so hurry up, get on with it....you are leaving guests in LIMBO - we are not even allowed to FLY to Europe, so... CANCEL!

We're in the same boat so to speak with a British Isles cruise on July 6 and wish RCCL would pull the Band-Aid off and cancel those cruises they know will not sail. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Highly doubt it.  The pent-up demand alone will fill the first 50%, followed by those who want to try to cruise for their 1st or 2nd time, or higher-status regulars.  Once cruising reopens for business full-time, it'll be way more than 50% passenger ratios onboard.

Now that's what I call optimism! Not many people wanting to try a cruise for a first or second time these days.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Now that's what I call optimism! Not many people wanting to try a cruise for a first or second time these days.

What data do you have to support that view?

The travel agents I speak with regularly (4-5 in this area, and 1 specializing in cruises) all say they have a "wait list" for bookings as soon as COVID-19 is either treatable, has a vaccine, or no longer a threat.  Not optimism...just the facts.

38 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

What data do you have to support that view?

The travel agents I speak with regularly (4-5 in this area, and 1 specializing in cruises) all say they have a "wait list" for bookings as soon as COVID-19 is either treatable, has a vaccine, or no longer a threat.  Not optimism...just the facts.

IMO highly optimistic.  Even if vaccine is found later this year it will take at least a year to manufacture the hundreds of millions of doses they need.  Until then they've lost many veteran cruisers age 65+.  Hopefully a treatment before then but many won't take the chance.  Intl travelers will be reluctant to fly and with all the bad press seriously doubt first timers  are itching to cruise.  Not pessimism.. just the state of the world.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Just announced that masks will be required for crew and probably by guests initially and maybe until there is a vaccine. 

Hallelujah!!

I keep you safe; you keep me safe.  Everybody's safe, and we can cruise with social distancing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

We have a cruise booked for Jan 2021 and I was also wondering if I should bring the staple gun for my then to be 3 and 1.5 year olds. 

Duct Tape is kinder and would probably be more efficient.

5 hours ago, davekathy said:

Enforced  as well as how the crew enforces the no pool chair hogging rule. 

Nobody DIED from hogging a chair.  This one needs to be enforced!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, LuCruise said:

I can see this in the theatre to keep the shows going for more than 30 people (but not for the performers).  But wearing them out in the hot sun, MDR, lounges, etc etc is impractical.  

Seriously on the pool decks with a masks. Awful...........

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They also did say that they would be sailing from LA but could not confirm what year or ship.

WOW!!  Coming back to CA......that's HUGE for us Left Coasters.

We can cruise to Mexico again on RCCL.  They've been missing out on a LOT of business the past x years.  HAL, Carnival, and Princess have been scooping up all those pax.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They also did say that they would be sailing from LA but could not confirm what year or ship.

6 minutes ago, pcur said:

WOW!!  Coming back to CA......that's HUGE for us Left Coasters.

We can cruise to Mexico again on RCCL.  They've been missing out on a LOT of business the past x years.  HAL, Carnival, and Princess have been scooping up all those pax.

Woohoo!  Ever since I transferred back to the west coast I've been hoping for Royal to return for cruises other than Alaska.  To have a short flight, no jet lag, same time zone will be awesome!  

• Like 1

Read the whole thread so far:

I'll state the obvious - 

masks off to eat

masks off to drink

masks off for pictures

If your local retail stores are requiring masks now, or in the future, you'll be used to it by the time you can cruise again.  Here is CA you can't go into stores without a mask now.

50% occupancy on cruises is most likely the people who WILL wear masks and keep everyone healthly, so those are the people I WANT to cruise with.

Get washable masks,  spray them with alcohol when you take them off, send them to the laundry.  I'll bet it will be cheap to get them sanitized.  I've been making our masks here at home out of washed, soft tee shirt material.  Very comfy.

Stay safe.  Wash your hands.  Hug your loved ones.  Accept reality.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have more faith in you people than some of you have in yourselves. If (a huge IF) masks end up part of everyday society or end up required on cruise ships, people will get used to them. I used to hate hats... then reached a point where I can't go out in the sun without wearing one - ever. So I wear a hat now. Whatever. You get used to these things. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, pcur said:

Hallelujah!!

I keep you safe; you keep me safe.  Everybody's safe, and we can cruise with social distancing.

Agreed...but how do you manage social distancing? 

55 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

IMO highly optimistic.  Even if vaccine is found later this year it will take at least a year to manufacture the hundreds of millions of doses they need.  Until then they've lost many veteran cruisers age 65+.  Hopefully a treatment before then but many won't take the chance.  Intl travelers will be reluctant to fly and with all the bad press seriously doubt first timers  are itching to cruise.  Not pessimism.. just the state of the world.

We have lots of folks already in restaurants and bars here...many with no masks (staff does)...

In stores....same thing.

The eyes don’t lie - there are plenty of people ready to move on now...let alone months from now. 

• Like 3