Masks probably required

5 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

We have lots of folks already in restaurants and bars here...many with no masks (staff does)...

In stores....same thing.

The eyes don’t lie - there are plenty of people ready to move on now...let alone months from now. 

Yes, there are a lot of people ready to move on and get life back to normal (without masks) and I am one of them.  The bar and in the little town I live in opened for the first time in 6 weeks last night.  It was the busiest it has ever been on a Tuesday.  The place is big enough to spread tables out so they were all 6 feet apart.  Saturday will be interesting around here as it will be the first weekend day with things open.  I expect to see tons of people out and waits to get into restaurants.  I also expect less than 30% of people with a mask possibly a lot less.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There are likely going to be a lot of changes to cruising as we knew it.

Probably new restrictions, less activities, changes to entertainment, dining, pool use etc.

That might be the reason they are enhancing the Cruise with Confidence policy because many people, me included, would not want to wear a mask if they require it on a cruise. Having the security of being able to reschedule my cruise would be good.

1 hour ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

What data do you have to support that view?

The travel agents I speak with regularly (4-5 in this area, and 1 specializing in cruises) all say they have a "wait list" for bookings as soon as COVID-19 is either treatable, has a vaccine, or no longer a threat.  Not optimism...just the facts.

The real estate agents I know all say house prices in our area will increase 10-20% this year. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pcur said:

WOW!!  Coming back to CA......that's HUGE for us Left Coasters.

We can cruise to Mexico again on RCCL.  They've been missing out on a LOT of business the past x years.  HAL, Carnival, and Princess have been scooping up all those pax.

Maybe they could limit mask requirements to west coast cruises. Then you would have two things to be happy about.😇

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

45 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

I have more faith in you people than some of you have in yourselves. If (a huge IF) masks end up part of everyday society or end up required on cruise ships, people will get used to them. I used to hate hats... then reached a point where I can't go out in the sun without wearing one - ever. So I wear a hat now. Whatever. You get used to these things. 

Nope. I've been practicing medicine for years. I've never gotten comfortable wearing a mask when doing procedures where they are needed but I can handle it for a short time for work. Wearing one for hours, while on vacation no less, is out.

• Like 12

16 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

The real estate agents I know all say house prices in our area will increase 10-20% this year. 

Interesting....I just read the opposite....a Zillow study indicating 2-3% reductions in value forecast.

Not sure what that has to do with the topic.

1 hour ago, pcur said:

Nobody DIED from hogging a chair.  This one needs to be enforced!

Needs to be enforced is totally different from actually being enforced. Time will tell once RC starts cruising again. Obviously you missed the whole point of my post. :classic_rolleyes:

Edited by davekathy

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

Needs to be enforced is totally different from actually being enforced. Time will tell once RC starts cruising again. Obviously you missed the whole point of my post. 

It is just nice to know that I have until 48 hours before my cruise to cancel if I don't like the way things are going. I just hope cruising starts soon enough for me to get a handle on it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Interesting....I just read the opposite....a Zillow study indicating 2-3% reductions in value forecast.

Went over your head I guess, I'll be more direct. People will always talk up their industry is the point. 

1 hour ago, pcur said:

Read the whole thread so far:

I'll state the obvious - 

masks off to eat

masks off to drink

masks off for pictures

If your local retail stores are requiring masks now, or in the future, you'll be used to it by the time you can cruise again.  Here is CA you can't go into stores without a mask now.

50% occupancy on cruises is most likely the people who WILL wear masks and keep everyone healthly, so those are the people I WANT to cruise with.

Get washable masks,  spray them with alcohol when you take them off, send them to the laundry.  I'll bet it will be cheap to get them sanitized.  I've been making our masks here at home out of washed, soft tee shirt material.  Very comfy.

Stay safe.  Wash your hands.  Hug your loved ones.  Accept reality.

What date are you cruising? 

7 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Shall we start placing bets to see how long that rule will last?

2 months?

2 week?

By day 3 of the first cruise?

Two minutes after being out of sight of the person who handed it out.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pcur said:

WOW!!  Coming back to CA......that's HUGE for us Left Coasters.

We can cruise to Mexico again on RCCL.  They've been missing out on a LOT of business the past x years.  HAL, Carnival, and Princess have been scooping up all those pax.

I was planning on trading my Ford F350 in on a new one.  I think I better hold off on that until I see what kind of budget I'm going to need for these west coast cruises.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I was planning on trading my Ford F350 in on a new one.  I think I better hold off on that until I see what kind of budget I'm going to need for these west coast cruises.  

Just sell it and buy and buy a Fiesta🤣

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

I think the point was sarcastic......

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Nope. I've been practicing medicine for years. I've never gotten comfortable wearing a mask when doing procedures where they are needed but I can handle it for a short time for work. Wearing one for hours, while on vacation no less, is out.

I'm suspecting that masks will be required in the areas that social distancing is more difficult.  If ships are sailing at 50% capacity then pool decks can remove half the loungers and social distance. So perhaps no marks required there. The promenade on voyageur and freedom class ships will be way less crowded so possibly no masks there.  If it was just in area that social distancing is impossible like hallways, elevators and other smaller spaces it might not be too onerous.

• Like 1

Just now, Tree_skier said:

I'm suspecting that masks will be required in the areas that social distancing is more difficult.  If ships are sailing at 50% capacity then pool decks can remove half the loungers and social distance. So perhaps no marks required there. The promenade on voyageur and freedom class ships will be way less crowded so possibly no masks there.  If it was just in area that social distancing is impossible like hallways, elevators and other smaller spaces it might not be too onerous.

I will be one that will not cruise at all if masks are required anywhere or anytime.  It won't be enjoyable to me.  Even if I were to find a mask that is comfortable to me (no luck yet), I like to walk around with a drink in my hand most of the time.  I will find other vacations that don't require a mask.  

• Like 5

What are the singles gonna do when they hook up with some strange? 

I mean they are going to have to re-populate Earth after the massive death rate. 

Edited by ToroAzul
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Looks like with so many people saying they won't cruise with a mask it's going to be easy for Royal to get down to the 50% capacity mark without having to bump anybody.  At 50% capacity the bigger ships will feel like you are in a ghost town.

I sailed on the Mariner from Port Canaveral to Los Angeles in 2009.  It was 3 separate cruises (15-15-16 nights) but some of us did the whole thing.

When we sailed out of PC, the ship was less than half full.  It was AWESOME.  (sure, there were some problems, but they were smoothed out in short order)

I highly recommend seizing this opportunity if you get it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Highly doubt it.  The pent-up demand alone will fill the first 50%, followed by those who want to try to cruise for their 1st or 2nd time, or higher-status regulars.  Once cruising reopens for business full-time, it'll be way more than 50% passenger ratios onboard.

I'm inclined to agree with this somewhat only because what I read on here and how people keep booking. Plus those who don't follow cruise critic will have no idea of the restrictions and new procedures. They will be so shocked if everything some have predicted comes true. I foresee a surge of new CC members when they find the site for the first time to complain about the on board experience.

• Like 1

Sounds relaxing, roving enforcement staff, three strikes you are confined to your cabin, altercations between mask/non-mask cruisers...hopefully not.  

But I would like to thank many of the posters on this topic, the comments have brought needed laughter!