Princess Cancels Remainder of Summer Season

louden

2 minutes ago, sonomaphil said:

I know that everyone wants to believe that Princess is doing this out of caution and the goodness of their heart but it's a business decision.  If these cruises were booked up, they would go as scheduled. No one is booking cruises right now.  

I'm just glad we were told today and didn't have to wait until next month when our final payment was due.  There was no way I was going to given them more $$ after the debacle of the 'refund process' so far.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, iancal said:

I believe that most people anticipated this. The writing was on the wall.  Even so, a shame that it had to be done.

I cancelled yesterday and my FCC on it was immediately refunded. Now it's sitting on booking #XH7D8M. I only have 2 remaining cruises (see signature) & no idea what that 3rd one is. Emailing my Princess Planner to get the FCC back and to make certain I'm getting a refund this time. I don't need even more FCC. I have more than I can use up in time with March 29th cancelation 

Edited by Ombud

Received the cancellation email from Princess about an hour ago. Was booked on an October Canada/New England cruise on the. Caribbean Princess. The way I read it, they are either offering a full cash refund or will match whatever payments have been made to this point as a future cruise credit (not counting airfare, hotels, shore excursions, port fees and taxes) up to the full cruise fare. In other words, if I do not request a refund I will double my money for a future cruise (through May 2022). A very nice offer!

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

Though the doubling is tempting!  Bird in hand? 

At this point there is no doubling with the FCC. Our June 2 cruise was canceled. Our choices are 125% FCC or our money back. 

Those in the early cancellations got much much more. I'm okay with that.

• Like 1

So one of the options is get twice the deposit. Can someone clarify this for me? My deposit was a penny. However, I paid several thousands in gift cards. So do I get double what I’ve paid or just double the base deposit? Thank you!

I have no cruises scheduled but if it was me, I'd get a refund ASAP,  not cruise credits.  IF and I mean IF, cruise lines go bankrupt their is no guarantee you get your money back at all. They will not go bankrupt subject to US law.  They will be subject to the place they are incorporated in. And then...well....who knows.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Sorry, but get real.

I guess I'm not stating this clearly. I booked a cruise through a big box TA. They make a commission which is none of my business. Out of their commission they give me an OBC which was to have been $900.  Princess cancelled my cruise but is still paying the full commission to the TA. So now the TA gets what they originally planned to receive before they gave me an OBC. The TA big box gets to keep my portion which they never expected to receive. 

As an example:

Cruise $20,000

TA commission $2000

TA gives me $900 OBC

TA keeps $1100

Now TA gets to keep all $2000 because I didn't cruise due to Princess' cancelling 

I think I should get at least a gift card to shop at the big box store which won't even cost them $900 due to their profit margin.

15 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

I guess I'm not stating this clearly. I booked a cruise through a big box TA. They make a commission which is none of my business. Out of their commission they give me an OBC which was to have been $900.  Princess cancelled my cruise but is still paying the full commission to the TA. So now the TA gets what they originally planned to receive before they gave me an OBC. The TA big box gets to keep my portion which they never expected to receive. 

As an example:

Cruise $20,000

TA commission $2000

TA gives me $900 OBC

TA keeps $1100

Now TA gets to keep all $2000 because I didn't cruise due to Princess' cancelling 

I think I should get at least a gift card to shop at the big box store which won't even cost them $900 due to their profit margin.

Sorry if I missed something but who says Princess is paying full commission to TAs.

5 hours ago, LHARTWICK said:

So will Princess not contact us directly to inform us our cruise has been cancelled?  Thanks to the OP for this information.  We've received no notification from PCL - maybe we will receive something shortly.  We were on the Emerald to AK in September with a TON  of OBC/perks.  But honestly, I'm glad it's cancelled.  We were waffling as to what to do, but the decision has been made for us.  I was actually just as fearful of flying on a plane as I was boarding a ship.  We've been to AK several times, and she will be there for us when the time is right. 😢

I was contacted directly, but we booked directly through Princess website originally. We were on Enchanted in August and I was actually thinking about extending it to b2b.

As for demand being low, our cruise was sold out of the room type we booked and next cruise we were looking at had low availability of them. Anecdotal evidence, but I think some demand was still there. The flights were the killer. Our Princess Air flights were changed multiple times in just past week.

What I think is interesting is all the rewards points that will be in a deficient.  It's worth noting that when a purchase, your cruise cost " is returned" and a refund is credited to your credit card account, any reward points or cash back you may have earned on the original purchase will be lost as well. So better cancel those cards fast....just sayin'

2 minutes ago, nattie said:

I was contacted directly, but we booked directly through Princess website originally. We were on Enchanted in August and I was actually thinking about extending it to b2b.

As for demand being low, our cruise was sold out of the room type we booked and next cruise we were looking at had low availability of them. Anecdotal evidence, but I think some demand was still there. The flights were the killer. Our Princess Air flights were changed multiple times in just past week.

I'm not sure they were updating there cabin availability the last 3 weeks.  We cancelled 5 cabins next to each other 3 weeks ago for a July cruise and they never showed they were available.  I was checking almost everyday (bored) and they always showed sold.  

IMHO as long as cruisers are made 'whole' (either get 100% refund or FCC) I don't begrudge the TAs a temporary bump up in commission because they aren't going to be making any money from cruises for perhaps months. But that's just me

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, land lover said:

Sorry if I missed something but who says Princess is paying full commission to TAs.

Princess will protect travel advisor commissions on bookings for cancelled cruises that were paid in full, in recognition of the critical role they play in the cruise line’s business and success.

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

As an example:

Cruise $20,000

TA commission $2000

TA gives me $900 OBC

TA keeps $1100

The OBC often - if not usually - doesn't come out of the TA commission. It is something the cruise line allows them to offer due to various reasons over and above their commission. So your reasoning is faulty. Give it up.

Edited by frugaltravel
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

I'm just glad we were told today and didn't have to wait until next month when our final payment was due.  There was no way I was going to given them more $$ after the debacle of the 'refund process' so far.  

Most of us would have appreciated not having to make that final payment.  

• Like 1

I did not have anything booked. Late December I was hoping to get a deal this summer like I did last year for more back-to-back Alaskan cruises. I booked last year just three weeks before the cruise and got a great deal sailing solo. DH has said that he's not willing to do another long cruise while his mother is alive, so another transatlantic was unlikely for the fall. We took one last year from Southampton to Fort Lauderdale and the year before from Southampton to New York City. Both were great, even though both also had major itinerary changes.

Very sad news that Princess is temprary pausing Global Shop Operations for the remianing 2020 summer season. I guess they had no choice.

We were booked on Enchanted Princess for September 2020 with just the deposit paid which was £1000. The final payment was due on the 16th May so I guess we do not have to pay this now. For people who have paid a deposit the following applies

For people who have only paid the desposit Princess are offering to double the deposit, providing a refundable FCC for the money currently on deposit plus a matching bonus FCC that can be used on any voyage through to May 1, 2020. 

This is fine but I have just priced the same cruise for 2021 and the price is almost £1000 more expensive. So there is no real gain taking this offer. Princess are not daft.

You do have the option to ask for your full deposit back which is the option I will take.

If a comment about NCL possibly going bankrupt resulted in a drop of at least 20% in their stock prices despite nothing actually happening to support the claim, I can only imagine what CCL's stock is going to look like this morning with 3 brands cancelling cruises through the majority of the year with more brands likely to follow...

6 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

1 hour ago, berniebolt31 said:

Very sad news that Princess is temprary pausing Global Shop Operations for the remianing 2020 summer season. I guess they had no choice.

We were booked on Enchanted Princess for September 2020 with just the deposit paid which was £1000. The final payment was due on the 16th May so I guess we do not have to pay this now. For people who have paid a deposit the following applies

For people who have only paid the desposit Princess are offering to double the deposit, providing a refundable FCC for the money currently on deposit plus a matching bonus FCC that can be used on any voyage through to May 1, 2020. 

This is fine but I have just priced the same cruise for 2021 and the price is almost £1000 more expensive. So there is no real gain taking this offer. Princess are not daft.

You do have the option to ask for your full deposit back which is the option I will take.

Sad to see it’s all over for this cruise. Thanks to everyone who’s worked so hard on the spreadsheets, organising tours, meet and greets, deck angels etc. We were flying to London in July doing Azamara..Norway cruise..seeing family and old cruise buddies in the UK then the round British Isles on Regal then staying on board for the cruise home. Away for nearly 6 months. Lots of planning and $$$$ already paid up front for flights and the first cruise...both paid in full, only deposits on both the Regal cruises, accommodation in Devon and Scotland etc. let’s hope refunds are forthcoming or insurance. Good luck to everyone, stay safe and cruise when we can. 🌹❤️

27 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

I saw the enchanted TA was canceled.

Can someone tell me the original dates for this?

It is no longer on the princess web site.

Thank you.

According to here, looks like it's either October 25 or November 5, depending on if you're taking the long or short version.