1st cruise after Covid......a success

jimbo5544

While this is tentatively good news I thought it takes about a week or more for symptoms to start. I think a negative test upon debarking the ship can still potentially turn positive days later. Correct me if i'm misinformed on that. 

For me personally, I think after 2 or 3 months of no issues, then i'd be more comfortable sailing again. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, OceanZena said:

While this is tentatively good news I thought it takes about a week or more for symptoms to start. I think a negative test upon debarking the ship can still potentially turn positive days later. Correct me if i'm misinformed on that. 

For me personally, I think after 2 or 3 months of no issues, then i'd be more comfortable sailing again. 

You need to build it one step at a time.  

• Like 5

My belief is the win is no outbreak on the ship. You could leave the ship in a cab and become infected on the way to the airport. That is not a fault of cruise.

Each small win is fantastic. 

Covid is not going away anytime soon,  we will all need to adapt to mitigating risk...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, OceanZena said:

We need to take the Giant step first then multiple steps after. Yes Lets stay clean

• Like 1

Also, not everybody will get Covid, even if exposed. I swear some people think if they step on a cruise ship, they are immediately misted with the Coronavirus.

I try to stay positive and look at my martini glass half full. 

• Like 16
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, May1cruiser said:

You could leave the ship in a cab and become infected on the way to the airport. That is not a fault of cruise.

Would you believe that some people think that it is?  I just can't even get my head around it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

While it is not Carnival, we ALL should take solace that the first cruise from a large cruise line was a flat out success.  

https://cruisefever.net/cruise-lines-first-cruise-back-was-a-success/

Did they make them wear masks onboard.  This is definitely good news.  Now if we can just get the numbers in the US anywhere close to Europe we might be cruising again.

This!!!!

4 minutes ago, skridge said:

Did they make them wear masks onboard.  This is definitely good news.  Now if we can just get the numbers in the US anywhere close to Europe we might be cruising again.

Because they listened to the scientists 

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

It means the other countries are way better off than us because ALL their population are on the same page.

I think there is enough information out there for each person to protect themselves. Not everyone has to rely on scientists or goverment to protect themselves. Common sense isnt so common anymore. imo.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, May1cruiser said:

My belief is the win is no outbreak on the ship. You could leave the ship in a cab and become infected on the way to the airport. That is not a fault of cruise.

this isn’t the concern. The concern is that if you catch Covid in the airport on the way to the cruise ship you will mostly likely test negative on boarding but could still develop symptoms on the ship.

i am both encouraged And discouraged by their success. Encouraged because so far so good (though I have no doubt that they will have an outbreak on the ship at some point so the question will be how they deal with it).  I’m discouraged because the way they got to this success included three things that I wouldn’t be willing to do to cruise: 1. Testing upon boarding, 2. Mask wearing, 3. Could only leave the boat on cruise line shore excursions 

so, certainly a step in the right direction but questionable if it’s creating a cruise product that I wouldn’t take.

59 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

this isn’t the concern. The concern is that if you catch Covid in the airport on the way to the cruise ship you will mostly likely test negative on boarding but could still develop symptoms on the ship.

i am both encouraged And discouraged by their success. Encouraged because so far so good (though I have no doubt that they will have an outbreak on the ship at some point so the question will be how they deal with it).  I’m discouraged because the way they got to this success included three things that I wouldn’t be willing to do to cruise: 1. Testing upon boarding, 2. Mask wearing, 3. Could only leave the boat on cruise line shore excursions 

so, certainly a step in the right direction but questionable if it’s creating a cruise product that I wouldn’t take.

Whether you chose to go or not is of course up to you.  If you fear air travel, which has to prove to be a significant cause in the last couple of months, then cruising while the virus exists might not be for you.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OceanZena said:

I am hopefully optimistic that they will not show symptoms, though you are correct.  You can test negative one day and positive the next.  

I think the biggest concern for a ship is dealing with someone whose symptoms are severe.  The testing before boarding is a great step toward limiting the exposure.  Even when a vaccine is produced, not everyone will get it.  When cruising in the US begins and a vaccine is available, I think it's reasonable for the cruise lines to require either proof of a vaccine or the passenger take a covid test.  Anyway, I think it's good news that cruise lines are beginning to deal with the covid situation as best they can.  Anyone who isn't interested in cruising with limitations might want to skip 2021.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, crzndeb said:

Also, not everybody will get Covid, even if exposed. I swear some people think if they step on a cruise ship, they are immediately misted with the Coronavirus.

Unfortunately that idea has been perpetuated, intentionally or not, by the media and the CDC. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Unfortunately that idea has been perpetuated, intentionally or not, by the media and the CDC. 

Unfortunately, if a person exposes themselves to the coronavirus they are at risk of becoming infected and passing it along to others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Whether you chose to go or not is of course up to you.  If you fear air travel, which has to prove to be a significant cause in the last couple of months, then cruising while the virus exists might not be for you.  

I wasn’t saying that I fear air travel. But that the limitation of testing upon boarding is that it won’t catch someone who just caught is, like if they caught it on the way to port. So inevitably a Covid positive person will eventually make it on board.

my concerns with cruising as MSC has defined the safety measures is that I don’t want to test upon boarding and risk testing positive and get stuck in the embarkation city, don’t particularly want to wear masks all the time on my vacation, and don’t want to be stuck with cruise shore excursions or staying on the ship as my only options

21 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Unfortunately, if a person exposes themselves to the coronavirus they are at risk of becoming infected and passing it along to others.

What does that have to do with anything? The point I was responding to was the notion that everyone who steps on a cruise ship is going to catch COVID-19. Even when there were major breakouts on ships earlier this year not everyone on the ship was infected with this virus. With the implementation of Covid related processes and procedures, the potential of catching this virus on a ship can be significantly reduced. Obviously you currently cannot eliminate the possibility of catching this virus on a ship or any other location, but you can take steps to mitigate the risk. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

It means the other countries are way better off than us because ALL their population are on the same page.

Isn't it amazing how we know this? Just like we know EVERYONE in the protests wear one. Even though there is plenty of video evidence out there that says otherwise.

Anywho, I'm glad to hear this news. A massive step towards convincing the world cruising is not as dangerous as the panic has led us to believe.

• Like 7