New Look Cruise Critic ?

Funny how I've been able to access everything on this site with no problem for years until this latest update. And nothing I've tried at my end has corrected the problem. But it can't be a bug. OK fine. Guess I'll just have to pray for another major system update soon.

On 11/15/2020 at 11:37 PM, broberts said:

Did you do it from a cc page? If so, you might try closing any cc pages first.

I closed the page, then re-opened to clear everything.  I did this with my PC, phone, and tablet.  Still not getting any icons.  All I get are little boxes.

2 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

I closed the page, then re-opened to clear everything.  I did this with my PC, phone, and tablet.  Still not getting any icons.  All I get are little boxes.

In Chrome, when deleting files and images there is a setting for how far back to go. I believe the default is Last 24 hours. You might try a different setting.

On 11/24/2020 at 8:09 AM, mom says said:

The icons are back! The icons are back! Opened up the forums this morning and there they were! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Sort of.

I didn't post here originally, as I never lost the icons.  Now, I'm seeing icons on some threads and no icons on others.

8 hours ago, ORV said:

I curious what the benefit of this upgrade is. I'm not against change, but I can't see anything that is better here, only worse. What am I misprsuming

This presumes an awareness and understanding of every site function. It also assumes that all users see and use the site in the same way and on similar devices.

11 hours ago, broberts said:

This presumes an awareness and understanding of every site function. It also assumes that all users see and use the site in the same way and on similar devices.

I'm presuming nothing, it's a simple question. What is the benefit from the change? 

11 hours ago, broberts said:

I am pretty sure @ORV was commenting from his perspective. As for myself, all the update did was make things harder to read.... and that presumes nothing.

43 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I am pretty sure @ORV was commenting from his perspective. As for myself, all the update did was make things harder to read.... and that presumes nothing.

From my perspective the changes are fine on an IPad and a computer but make the mobile experience on a smartphone which was difficult before the recent update almost impossible.  At the same time the Forums app stopped working. Yet the “powers that be” keep touting the mobile experience of the software. Sorry.......there  is no usable CC mobile experience now on a smartphone.  

4 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

From my perspective the changes are fine on an IPad and a computer but make the mobile experience on a smartphone which was difficult before the recent update almost impossible.  At the same time the Forums app stopped working. Yet the “powers that be” keep touting the mobile experience of the software. Sorry.......there  is no usable CC mobile experience now on a smartphone.  

I rarely, if ever, these days visit C.C. on anything but my phone and, as you say, it isn't easy.

12 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Works fine for me. The convenience of mobile web outweighs any font issues. 

I just don't understand the problem you speak of 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Works fine for me. The convenience of mobile web outweighs any font issues. 

I just don't understand the problem you speak of 

Good that it works for you but the layout and look is awful on my smartphone and it is easy to miss the touch points. 

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Good that it works for you but the layout and look is awful on my smartphone and it is easy to miss the touch points. 

Touch points?

The only thing having issues with last update is the ability to search on Members. Seems to work on laptop, though. 

It's really hard to complain about something that's free

Edited by John&LaLa

18 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Touch points?

The only thing having issues with last update is the ability to search on Members. Seems to work on laptop, though. 

It's really hard to complain about something that's free

Touch points like the round and star buttons that take you to the next unread. 

They keep touting how great it is. Since this topic is about the look rating it seems appropriate. If you don’t like my rating it as poor.... tough. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Any joy on the horizon?

The Invision forum software does not support post numbers. The software developers decided they are not needed. I kid you not. So you are thinking there were post numbers. To have post numbers on IPB boards requires a software plug in that is coded by an independent developer. There was such a plug in. CC must have been using it. The new version of Inivision that CC updated to broke that plug in.  Enough people want post numbers that likely there will be an updated plug in or a new plug in that enables post numbers. CC will have to wait until such is available.

It could be that the Forums App which relies on a plug in also stopped working because of the recent update to the latest version of Invision. That is mere speculation on my part. The post numbers plug not being compatible  I read about. 

Sometimes it is better to wait before upgrading to new versions as they break stuff. That said CC might have been good reasons for CC having gone ahead with updating.Security patches or whatever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The Invision forum software does not support post numbers. The software developers decided they are not needed. I kid you not. So you are thinking there were post numbers. To have post numbers on IPB boards requires a software plug in that is coded by an independent developer. There was such a plug in. CC must have been using it. The new version of Inivision that CC updated to broke that plug in.  Enough people want post numbers that likely there will be an updated plug in or a new plug in that enables post numbers. CC will have to wait until such is available.

It could be that the Forums App which relies on a plug in also stopped working because of the recent update to the latest version of Invision. That is mere speculation on my part. The post numbers plug not being compatible  I read about. 

Sometimes it is better to wait before upgrading to new versions as they break stuff. That said CC might have been good reasons for CC having gone ahead with updating.Security patches or whatever.

Pretty much sums it up.