The Length of time between cruises in the US in the Covid era?

tert333

On 12/18/2020 at 2:30 PM, gmjc2 said:

Hope this changes before March as the Transatlantics are all longer than 7 days except Cunard!!

I very much doubt you will be cruising anywhere in March.

Edited by clarky213
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Why is it necessary for you to rain on someone else’s parade?

Why have these threads/boards become so confrontational? I follow several that have become quite nasty. If everyone put forward some useful or funny info and posed a simple question then we could all have a less stressful read. After all do we need more stress in our lives right now?  Or am I just an old " Pollyanna" ?

• Like 2

I had 2 b2b cruises booked for April 2021 from San Francisco & someone on CC posted a list of cruises cancelled by Princess. I booked these cruises as 2 separate cruises. The only thing that I know is from the list put out from Princess.  

Here’s a link that has the list of canceled cruises.

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/plan/impacted-and-cancelled-cruises/pause-extension-into-2021.pdf

Interesting my cruises still show up on my Personalizer. 

Tom😀

1 hour ago, trbarton said:

I had 2 b2b cruises booked for April 2021 from San Francisco & someone on CC posted a list of cruises cancelled by Princess. I booked these cruises as 2 separate cruises. The only thing that I know is from the list put out from Princess.  

Here’s a link that has the list of canceled cruises.

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/plan/impacted-and-cancelled-cruises/pause-extension-into-2021.pdf

Interesting my cruises still show up on my Personalizer. 

Tom😀

Our April 2021 B2Bs also still show up on our personalizers. Who knows how all this will shake out. 

1 hour ago, trbarton said:

We have four cruises on this list, which I found when our October 2021 cruise was canceled.  I called Princess to ask, and they said they were still on.  Also had our travel agent check, and she said they were still on.  Plus, you can still book all of them on line.  Still don't know for sure, as I don't think Princess knows what they are going to do.  Just have to wait and see.

Edited by KreinKrunker

On 12/18/2020 at 10:17 AM, jebhoward3 said:

It's probably just me, but I do not understand only 7 day cruises.  To me it would make more sense  to have much longer cruises and eliminate the short ones.  Less exposure to whatever virus is going around with fewer changes of people. 

Think of it like a large family that live in the same home, say 12 people.  Every 7 days 6 of them leave and 6 other extended family members arrive (possibly bring with them the virus that one of them caught from the previous large family that they just left.   And this goes on and on.

It would be much safer to cruise on a longer cruise with less exposure than to keep changing passengers.  Now if it the CDC's intent to keep cruise ships close to a US port in-case someone tests positive and needs removed from the ship, then they should state it that way.  Longer cruises could still happen doing that.

Very well put! I've been saying the same thing. Have we lost all ability to reason?

Tom

On 12/18/2020 at 10:42 AM, USCcruisecrazy said:

I am in agreement...not sure what the length of 7 days is supposed to address.  It's similar to the restaraunt that has to close at 9:00 instead of say 11:00 like they normally might.  Doe COVID react differently after 9:00 o'clock??  Just seems like a lot of guidance is arbitrary and not based on science or logic.  7 Day cruises are just another prime example.

Exactly!

From what we know now & what we will know months from now  about the virus & vaccinations in the USA will be completely different . Thus ,imo ,we should play this by ear & not be concerned what not what not the CDC will do about cruise lengths . First off ,since the earliest April 1 ,2021 seems to be the date that any cruises can leave American ports is still more than 3 months away & many things can happen during that time frame . Then add to the right to cruise the need for trained crews ,food , liquid supplies , engine tuneups ,ie ,Seems to me a huge undertaking facing all the cruise lines wanting to sail out of USA ports . 

Yes there is a huge pent up  beed to travel whether by ship ,plane or road trips , Then there is the question about what business will be around  & viable from the economic chaos to accommodate all the travelers , just too much to contemplate & to get it absolutely correct   Anyone with a Crystal Ball ? LOL😝

On 12/18/2020 at 11:04 AM, LACruiser88 said:

I would not be surprised to see the 7 day requirement changed  or completely removed by mid-summer.  It is a very fluid regulation and we should not get locked into the November expiration date. 

Disney just cancelled a 9 day in late July and replaced it with a 3 and a 6 - we had no problem booking the B2B yesterday.  Never had a problem with a B2B2B for Royal in August.  Since cruise lines haven't been given any guidance other than they cannot sell a cruise longer than 7 days I think both lines are expecting the rules to change and no special ruling for B2B.

Of course we also have a B2B on Royal scheduled for April which replaced our Princess 17 day Panama cruise.  Given delays in vaccinations my guess is those just won't sail since no line is even trying to start yet.

On 12/18/2020 at 11:04 AM, LACruiser88 said:

I would not be surprised to see the 7 day requirement changed  or completely removed by mid-summer.  It is a very fluid regulation and we should not get locked into the November expiration date. 

Disney just cancelled our 9 day in late July and replaced it with a 3 and a 6 - we had no problem booking the B2B yesterday.  Never had a problem with a B2B2B for Royal for August.  Since cruise lines haven't been given any guidance other than they cannot sell a cruise longer than 7 days I think both lines are expecting the rules to change and no special ruling for B2B.

Of course we also have a B2B on Royal scheduled for April which replaced our Princess 17 day Panama cruise.  Given delays in vaccinations my guess is those just won't sail since no line is even trying to start yet.

On 12/18/2020 at 12:17 PM, jebhoward3 said:

Think of it like a large family that live in the same home, say 12 people.  Every 7 days 6 of them leave and 6 other extended family members arrive (possibly bring with them the virus that one of them caught from the previous large family that they just left.   And this goes on and on.

Why would I think of that?  It is far, far beyond any normal situation.

It must be one large family, if 6 new people can arrive every 7 days ... repeatedly.

After a month, that's 40 people.  From one family?!?!

It is pretty unusual to simply have 12 family members living in one home.

And, my guess would be that if the family is sharing like this, it is because money is tight,

and I doubt they are saving up for their next cruise.

12 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

And, my guess would be that if the family is sharing like this, it is because money is tight,

Not that unusual as this article points out:

https://news.yahoo.com/12-people-escape-nw-houston-143350876.html

2 hours ago, caribill said:

Not that unusual as this article points out:

https://news.yahoo.com/12-people-escape-nw-houston-143350876.html

Citing a single case does not contradict 'unusual'.   If I had said 'none', sure.

Regardless, I don't think that a single mom with 11 kids burned out of her

house is booking her next cruise anytime soon.

19 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

I was just discussing this with my wife. Our grandparents who lived through the Spanish flu had 12 to 14 siblings. When we were growing up during the 60's and 70's several of our neighbors had 6 to 10 children. I wonder what they did back in 1918.

It is interesting to see what other cruise lines are doing about longer cruises.  For example, MSC is routinely booking 14 day back to backs for the Fall of 2021.    As some other posts have mentioned, the CDC Guidelines are subject to change or cancellation at any time.  Those Guidelines were developed prior to the approval of any vaccines and vaccines are a true game changer.  At this time nobody knows how the CDC will deal with the changes related to vaccines but my own strong suspicion is that a mandatory vaccination policy will likely replace many of the current Guidelines.  This could certainly happen by the third quarter of 2021 (perhaps sooner).

As to the current 7 day limit, it makes very little sense.  I could make a good argument that shorter cruises (i.e. 7 days) are much more risky then longer cruises.  Why?  Two 7 day cruises mean twice as many souls moving to and from cruise ports as a single 14 day cruise.  The more cruisers that are traveling to and fro the more risk of COVID and spread.  

Hank 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 9:18 AM, gmjc2 said:

Why have these threads/boards become so confrontational?

Hmmmmmmmm.

"I doubt you will be cruising in March" ... seems like a point of view about the current state of cruising.

Not particularly confrontational.

However, a few days ago when someone mosted "you're a troll" ... "and we won't miss you when you're gone".

That's confrontational.

I thought Carnival/Princess/etc. had already cancelled cruises until April?