Carnival removes all European 2021 sailings from website. Will princess follow?

HaveWeMetYet

I think Princess won't fully cancel unless AIDA, Costa, TUI, and MSC all find out they can't operate either. Those lines have been operating in Europe for some time now and have experience in balancing the outbreak and operations, despite Europe not being perfect in the pandemic. 

Carnival also had just one ship in the region and it wouldn't have been as big of a loss for them to just redirect her itineraries back to the Americas. But Princess has considerably more vessels so a complete wipeout would be really damaging. If any cancellations happen, I think they'll take a more steady approach, considering each ship's routes. 

But also given how much damage these different variants of the virus have done, I would not be surprised if the summer 2021 Europe season did get cancelled again.

Though I wouldn’t be surprised if all of the major US cruise lines end up canceling the summer Europe cruises, I think Carnival canceling is a bit of a different situation. They’ve never had a big stake in the Europe market, so it’s not as monumental to cancel those sailings. It’ll simplify their operational plans.

• Like 2

I think it depends on the region. Downunder much better shape then northern hemisphere. I think we will be the region that commences cruising before others. 

If cruises does commence downunder in 2021 I still believe it will be only offered to passengers who live in this region.

Edited by icat2000

1 hour ago, icat2000 said:

I think it depends on the region. Downunder much better shape then northern hemisphere. I think we will be the region that commences cruising before others. 

If cruises does commence downunder in 2021 I still believe it will be only offered to passengers who live in this region.

I am hoping they open up the long awaited Aust/NZ bubble by end of this year....I have a cruise booked for November. Or at least open up for a domestic cruise. But I can't see it being opened to non residents, certainly not without vac cert. Most of the rest of the world is still in a bad position.

Would you say Carnival is more centred around US passengers compared to Princess? If so, that might the reason as they do not have European passengers to fill the ships if US passengers are unable or do not wish to travel to Europe. Also do they tend to have lots of ships in Europe? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

My guess is yes. Sorry 😢 

Tony

Hmm - we booked an October Med cruise on Sky Princess leaving the UK on October 22nd, only last week. This was at an excellent price,  as the ship should have been returning to the US at that time. 

Obviously, there is every possibility that the cruise might be cancelled, but it would be strange to offer a new cruise for sale if the whole of the Med cruising season was going to be cancelled.

• Like 1

We were suppose to be on the Sky for our November repo from NYC to Ft  Lauderdale but they changed our ship to the Caribbean Princess so they could keep the Sky in Europe for September and October and do the TA directly to Ft  Lauderdale in November.   If they cancel all 2021 European cruises our change would have been for nothing.   I was so looking forward to being on the Sky.

• Like 1

More cancelations or changes to cruises:

It is really hard to keep up with all the changes, push backs and cancellations.  There are different dates for various regions of the world.

Carnival Cruise Line - Costa Cruises both announced Friday 1/22/2021 that they would cancel more cruises into spring.

Norwegian cancels cruises until May

Royal Caribbean International through April 30th

Shorter itineraries in Singapore are excluded from the cancellations

Celebrity Cruises through April 30th

Silversea Cruises through April 1st

Azamara Cruises through April 30th

Princess Cruises previously announced it will cancel all cruises from U.S. ports through May 14. 

Canada warns of possible changes to traveler rules, including hotel quarantine

TORONTO  1/22/2021 — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau warned Friday his government could impose stricter restrictions on travelers at any moment in response to new, likely more contagious variants of the coronavirus – possibly making it mandatory to quarantine in a hotel at their own expense when they arrive in Canada.

Trudeau said at a news conference that such measures could be imposed suddenly and bluntly warned against nonessential trips abroad.

May Alaskan Cruises that sail in and out of Vancouver and Victoria come into question.

We actually began our relationship with Princess because Carnival stopped European sailings several years ago. They subsequently began European sailings again, but by then we were loving Princess.

9 hours ago, John99 said:

More cancelations or changes to cruises:

It is really hard to keep up with all the changes, push backs and cancellations.  There are different dates for various regions of the world.

Carnival Cruise Line - Costa Cruises both announced Friday 1/22/2021 that they would cancel more cruises into spring.

Norwegian cancels cruises until May

Royal Caribbean International through April 30th

Shorter itineraries in Singapore are excluded from the cancellations

Celebrity Cruises through April 30th

Silversea Cruises through April 1st

Azamara Cruises through April 30th

Princess Cruises previously announced it will cancel all cruises from U.S. ports through May 14. 

TORONTO  1/22/2021 — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau warned Friday his government could impose stricter restrictions on travelers at any moment in response to new, likely more contagious variants of the coronavirus – possibly making it mandatory to quarantine in a hotel at their own expense when they arrive in Canada.

Trudeau said at a news conference that such measures could be imposed suddenly and bluntly warned against nonessential trips abroad.

May Alaskan Cruises that sail in and out of Vancouver and Victoria come into question.

May Alaskan Cruises that sail in and out of Vancouver and Victoria are toast.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 4:29 AM, Lucky TGO said:

My guess is yes. Sorry 😢 

Tony

Thankfully it is just a guess and not based upon the difference in ship deployment of the two cruise lines and their respective markets.

21 hours ago, John99 said:

Yes, the attitude in Ottawa could certainly put the stops to any cruising involving ports in Canada for the foreseeable future.  However, the statements and measures in your post were directed at Canadians who choose to travel out of country and they are looking to "punish" returnees after their trips by imposing harsher measures they can think of in order to discourage the travel. 

What they really want to do is kill off as much March Break travel as possible.  There is a public school break each March in Quebec and Ontario (different weeks) and it usually means a huge exodus to warmer climates.  After a surge in the typical holiday travel in late December, they want to put the clamps on the spring break travel.  Other provinces probably have the same, but these two are by far the most populous.

Public figures (politicians and health sector) have been outed in the press for travelling in December and most have either been demoted or lost jobs because they flew in the face of public health recommendations not to travel.  None broke any laws as it is perfectly legal to travel, but many were exposed as hypocrites because they were part of the government messaging.

At present returning Canadians, as well as foreigners, are required to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival in Canada.  You must have a stated plan of where you will be (at home, for example).  Otherwise, you may be required to stay in a hotel monitored by government authorities or police.  Public health authorities may check up on quarantined individuals at any time during the 14 days.  There is a two-negative-test-over-six days option test program at Alberta ports of entry, but nowhere else as yet, and it seems the feds are not inclined to expand this option anytime soon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

No, that's the fare for an inside for 14 days with Princess Plus

Blimey, that's unbelievably expensive. We paid around the equivalent of $4200 for a superior balcony cabin, with the Princess Plus package as well. 

Mind you, I think Princess are just trying to fill the cabins, and realistically,  given the current state of affairs, I can't see many from the US wanting to fly to Europe this year.