Hundreds of sellers are offering false and stolen Covid-19 vaccine cards

MarkWiltonM

This article in the New York Times today is the reason we need a better system to document/verify who has had Covid-19 vaccinations. I don't want to board a cruise ship with anti-vaxxers who have bought a bogus CDC vaccination card online just so they can cruise. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/08/technology/vaccine-card-scam.html?searchResultPosition=4

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When people post their vaccination card on social media it is a invitation to allow someone else to use their personal info to create a fake record. 

Unfortunately,  the train has left the station, fake documents are available  now so a fully vaccinated ship, resort,  school, etc is unlikely.  

• Like 2

Your vaccination details and possibly a photo or scan of your documentation should be added to the information required by Celebrity as part of your online check in, with the clear understanding that it is subject to verification.  That might not guarantee that no anti-vaxxer will be able to sneak aboard, but it would serve as a deterrent.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, jelayne said:

When people post their vaccination card on social media it is a invitation to allow someone else to use their personal info to create a fake record. 

Unfortunately,  the train has left the station, fake documents are available  now so a fully vaccinated ship, resort,  school, etc is unlikely.  

Who would put something that on social media?  People use no common sense...not everything needs to be laid bare to the world..

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wesport said:

I also have record of what was run through my health insurance as backup. 

They took down our medicare numbers when we had our shots - is there a way to see an online record?

Edited by NantahalaCruiser

9 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

They didn’t take my medicare number when i got mine, nor any health insurance information

Our Medicare info wasn’t taken either.  The county health department did not distribute the cards, rather they gave out a copied sheet of paper with instructions for obtaining the 2nd dose and included on the paper, hardly noticeable, was the info on the vaccine we received.  Same for the2nd dose.  We later contacted the health department and they provided us a signed copy of our vaccine info on a sheet of Department of Health embossed paper. .  Hoping that is acceptable.

I am probably out of touch, but the people I know that are not taking the vaccine are making quite a point of it.  I can not see them trying to go on a cruise with false documents.  I can see them filing complaints that vaccinations being required is discrimination.  We also went to a large public health drive thru site for our shots and we have limited documentation.  It will be interesting to see how this all rolls out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The State of Hawaii is working on taking proof of vaccination instead of a negative test to bypass quarantine.

One of the things that they have indicated that they need to resolve prior to moving to that system is how to validate provided vaccination information, which would have to be provided to the state in advance of the flight.

• Like 2

In Maryland we received vaccination cards showing when we had the shot, what manufacturer, and the lot number.   We had both shots but there is space on the card for two additional.   They asked if we had insurance but not what insurance company we had.   People who are anti gazers don’t belong on a ship.

3 minutes ago, SHIP TRAVELER said:

I am probably out of touch, but the people I know that are not taking the vaccine are making quite a point of it.  I can not see them trying to go on a cruise with false documents.  I can see them filing complaints that vaccinations being required is discrimination.  We also went to a large public health drive thru site for our shots and we have limited documentation.  It will be interesting to see how this all rolls out.

FINALLY, someone with a bit of sense! Thank you.

FWIW... as addicted to cruising as I am, I would never break the law by falsifying documents to do so!!!! 

1st...I don't look good in orange.

2nd...I'm not a CRIMINAL simply because I choose to do what I want with my own body. I am a Constitutionalist and for now, I still have a right to make my own choices over the only thing I own. My self.

3rd...These so-called miracle drugs (biotech, not true vaccines) that are not FDA approved (EUA only)...if they are all that and a bag of chips, then why does anyone care?  After all, you have been TOLD they are 95% effective to keep you from catching and 100% effective at keeping YOU out of the hospital.  Sorry, I've been sold a shady bag of goods before. (Read my lips: no new taxes.) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When we registered for our shots we were asked for insurance information but were able to bypass that screen.  We got a CDC card showing the date, vaccine, lot # and provider.  At our 2nd shot the person processing us said to photocopy but not laminate the card incase there was another vaccine we might need.  I took that to mean a booster down the road. The few people I know who are opposed to the vaccine are not likely to cruise.

We got our first Pfizer shots this week (husband on Wednesday and me today) - yay!!  Our province is optimistic that we will get our second shot by June, if not earlier.  In our Canadian province, we were given a paper card, and we were immediately alerted that our eHealth records were updated on line.  eHealthSask is an online record of immunization history, prescriptions, lab and imaging results, clinic visits, etc.  I checked and it was all there:  date, vaccine, lot #, and location of clinic.  I can pull up all of this information on my phone at any time, using a username and password.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Your vaccination details and possibly a photo or scan of your documentation should be added to the information required by Celebrity as part of your online check in, with the clear understanding that it is subject to verification.  That might not guarantee that no anti-vaxxer will be able to sneak aboard, but it would serve as a deterrent.  

@Fouremcowhat about a QR code or perhaps your vaccination details embedded in your passport? Would this deter anti vaxxers?

15 hours ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

I'm not that too concerned about catching COVID from an unvaccinated passenger; but I would be concerned about the cruise being interrupted due to an unvaccinated group coming down with COVID and causing the cruise to be terminated.

I will be very concerned if there are 50% of anti-vaxxers onboard.

16 hours ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

I'm not that too concerned about catching COVID from an unvaccinated passenger; but I would be concerned about the cruise being interrupted due to an unvaccinated group coming down with COVID and causing the cruise to be terminated.

This is an excellent point. Both my wife and I have our second shots coming up in a week or so. If a cruise gets interrupted due to a breakout onboard, ports will start to rethink requirements to allow ships in. 

I do agree there will be some against the vaccine that will be more vocal, but there will also be some that feels they have the same rights to do things. They may just buy a fake vaccination card to be able to participate. It will be interesting to watch how things play out as cruises start back up...for all lines. They will all be learning as they reopen and will share what works.

As far as my vaccination card, I can get another if I need one. There is no way to stop fake vaccine cards at this point. My wife had her first shot done at our pharmacy so we have an app on our phone that will show al vaccinations. My shot was given through the big Medical chain Advocate and that's where my doctor is. So, same thing, I have an app for appointments and records on my phone, I can pull up all of our vaccines as a backup to our CDC vaccination card.

There is no system that won't be hacked or faked.  There is nothing that someone will not lie about. It seems to me that spending any amount of time or treasure catering to the dishonest is a waste.

If a simple signed declaration is not enough I guess we will all have to wait for the Nirvana of herd immunity.

14 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

In Maryland we received vaccination cards showing when we had the shot, what manufacturer, and the lot number.   We had both shots but there is space on the card for two additional.   They asked if we had insurance but not what insurance company we had.   People who are anti gazers don’t belong on a ship.

I’m in Maryland also. Our vaccines were through the state sites and the information is on the MD IR site. 

15 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

FYI. The Maryland Department of Health has our immunization records and if you register on their immunization website you can get a very nice looking Covid Certificate of Vaccination with the dates and lot number. I downloaded and printed it and the certificate is watermarked with the state seal. 

https://phpa.health.maryland.gov/OIDEOR/IMMUN/Pages/immunet-for-public.aspx

Edited by Charles4515

5 minutes ago, nautica12 said:

I’m in Maryland also. Our vaccines were through the state sites and the information is on the MD IR site. 

If you have not done so print out your Covid Certificate of Vaccination. It is a nice looking watermarked document. 

3 hours ago, drakes2 said:

@Fouremcowhat about a QR code or perhaps your vaccination details embedded in your passport? Would this deter anti vaxxers?

Yes, I think that having this information captured in your passport might be a deterrent, but it would entail a major change in direction for Canadian passports, a change that is very unlikely to occur for a number of reasons. With over 22 million Canadian passports issued (2017), can you imagine the work entailed and the delays that would be encountered if passport holders had to return them to the passport office, along with proof of vaccination, so that the passport office could verify the information, embed it in the passport and then return it? And what happens if annual booster shots are required?

I suspect that any "official" proof of vaccination will come from provincial authorities, not federal. The Ontario health minister has stated on numerous occasions that fully vaccinated residents eventually will either receive a 'receipt' or will be presented with a digital document at a later time.