Dine My Way - new MedallionClass enhancement

dides

11 minutes ago, wowzz said:

All this reserving tables is beyond me. I'm on holiday, and take each day as it comes. 

If it is a nice evening, we'll have a couple of drinks, go back to the cabin to get ready, have a drink on the balcony,  and then saunter down to the MDR for dinner at whatever time it happens to be.

I don't want to play around with an app - I just want to turn up at the MDR and ask for a table - can I still do that ? 

I don’t recall from their webinar if walking up to be seated will still be an option however based on this slide from the presentation that could still be an option.

3826F00E-E209-4E4A-8C5E-B4F0A2EDCD3E.jpeg

13 minutes ago, wowzz said:

All this reserving tables is beyond me. I'm on holiday, and take each day as it comes. 

If it is a nice evening, we'll have a couple of drinks, go back to the cabin to get ready, have a drink on the balcony,  and then saunter down to the MDR for dinner at whatever time it happens to be.

I don't want to play around with an app - I just want to turn up at the MDR and ask for a table - can I still do that ? 

Well said. Think they are fixing something that is not broken.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wowzz said:

YES

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skynight said:

Well said. Think they are fixing something that is not broken.

I think they are ADDING something for those who like to plan and be certain of their dining situation.  But, those carefree folks who want to take in the evening as it comes to them can also do that as before.  WIN-WIN, IMO.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I think they are ADDING something for those who like to plan and be certain of their dining situation.  But, those carefree folks who want to take in the evening as it comes to them can also do that as before.  WIN-WIN, IMO.

That's fine, but I'm worried that if we stroll up to the MDR we will be told that we as we don't have a reservation, we will have to wait an hour or two before a table is available. In the good old days, we'd just have been given a pager and waited 15 minutes .

It all seems unnecessarily complicated,  when, as has been said, the old system worked perfectly well.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I am sure you can, especially if you are OK with 7:00 or later. MDR always freed up then previously. I am sure this looks like a chore but I think the only people who will miss out are those that wanted early seating Anytime, since I expect those slots will be gone. Even then if you are OK with a buzzer I am sure some 5:00 slots will free up by 6 - 6:30. 

• Like 1

Just a caution about "Dine Where You Want".

I experimented with making Dining Reservation for a 7-day cruise

using the "Same Time" option.

Got the "Same Time". But the first 1st 3 days were in one MDR, next 3 days in

a different MDR, and last day in the first MDR. Remember it

never said Same MDR only same time!

There is no option to choose "Where" among the MDRs! Or to change the MDR.

BTW, we did the Medallion on Sky P before all the updates. No problems -- everything went fine.

Now I have nothing but frustrations since these new Medallion versions and batting 0 for 4

on the Blue Line!! Yes -- I love Innovations but HEY how about Princess apologizing

for Untested Software? We are Customers -- tell that to the Senior Sales Executives.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sultan_sfo said:

I'm trying but it's not live. Looking to book 3 nights Alfredo / 3 nights MDR by window facing forward / 1 night specialty. Will try again on the 7th

16 minutes ago, sultan_sfo said:

BTW, we did the Medallion on Sky P before all the updates. No problems -- everything went fine.

Now I have nothing but frustrations since these new Medallion versions and batting 0 for 4

on the Blue Line!! Yes -- I love Innovations but HEY how about Princess apologizing

for Untested Software? We are Customers -- tell that to the Senior Sales Executives.

I had the same problem for my 14 days cruise, same time for all days, most in one main dining room and a few in a different main dining room.  I went back to the few in the different room, with the same time and it changed them to the other dining room.  Now all dining at the same time and same dining room, we will change once onboard if we want.

54 minutes ago, sultan_sfo said:

But the first 1st 3 days were in one MDR, next 3 days in

a different MDR, and last day in the first MDR.

What happened to the option to dine with the same wait staff each night (a.k.a. Traditional)?

ETA - Oh, darn!!! I forgot.  The waiters can find you by tracking your Medallion.  Oh, how could I be so forgetful?

Edited by Steelers36

14 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Isn't that the Pizza place ? Reservations ?

No. I love their minestrone, caprese salad, eggplant parmesan or pasta, finishing with apple tart or zabaione. I let them know when I'm coming as I have a food intolerance (capsaicin = black pepper) 

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

Anyone know what time second Show is on Ruby, would like to factor that in with our Dining slot.

You cannot count on the show times being the same each night.  I have often seen them change throughout the cruise, depending on the show or headliner act.  Also, whatever was the case on one ship can change, depending on the ED & CD.

2 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I have a food intolerance (capsaicin = black pepper) 

First time I have heard of someone with that.  Ironic as I consider fresh ground pepper a health food and for me it goes on just about everything except ice cream.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sultan_sfo said:

My 2 cents,  I think many people have jumped on booking dinner reservations.  I booked Thursday and got the same dining room every night.  Wanted to change the reservation for a couple of nights to later and could not reserve the same location.   Suggest selecting a different time and see what comes up.   

10 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

First time I have heard of someone with that.  Ironic as I consider fresh ground pepper a health food and for me it goes on just about everything except ice cream.

I know I'm weird. I always thought I just didn't like it & strightly avoided it until a Indonesian cruise. Drives the HW crazy because I don't always want to eat in the same restaurant and HWs are responsible for those of us with food intolerances.  Think I'm a nightmare? My sister's souvenir from CA tx is no garlic or onions. We generously tip the HW bc he manages to deal with our weird stuff

20 minutes ago, Ombud said:

No. I love their minestrone, caprese salad, eggplant parmesan or pasta, finishing with apple tart or zabaione. I let them know when I'm coming as I have a food intolerance (capsaicin = black pepper) 

But do they take reservations ? I thought it was just a drop in place.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I know I'm weird.

16 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Think I'm a nightmare?

No, not weird.  It's one thing to manage a food allergy in your own home environment, but going out must be a constant pain to have food checked.  I have a close friend with an almond allergy.  Perhaps the capsaicin thing may be more prevalent than I would realize.  I consider myself fortunate to not have food allergies.  Although I never could eat eggplants and turnips. 😉

55 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

But do they take reservations ? I thought it was just a drop in place.

6 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Alfredo’s Pizzeria has never taken reservations which is only for paid specialty restaurants.

In the past I pre-ordered with my MDR HW and he asked for a dining time. I pick 6pm when given the choice.  No one knows how it will be when we restart 

37 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

No, not weird.  It's one thing to manage a food allergy in your own home environment, but going out must be a constant pain to have food checked.  I have a close friend with an almond allergy.  Perhaps the capsaicin thing may be more prevalent than I would realize.  I consider myself fortunate to not have food allergies.  Although I never could eat eggplants and turnips. 😉

Yes it's a pain. But much easier on a ship. On land I tend to return to the same restaurants and expect my order to take extra time. That's what wine / fruit / cheese before dinner is for 🍷

On my last cruise, 3 at the table had allergies: "Who's the capsaicin? Who's the dairy? Who's the peanut? ??? Who's got an epi? Peanut got the wrong dish!!!!!" 

Edited by Ombud
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

We didn’t need to select each day but as I recall could see each day but might be wrong…it was easy for me to do it. After selecting the “Reserve for the same time each day” option of Dine My Way we got these options:

• Select Period (Evening)
  • Travel Companions (my wife & me)
  • Evening Available Times (Concerto; 6:00; table for 2…could change time however not restaurant nor table size which we prefer)
  • Confirm your selection

After confirming our dining reservation we can view it by each day of the cruise by selecting the “View or book individual daily reservations” at the beginning of the Dine My Way section.

One feature we like about traditional dining is that you have the same dining companions each evening. Have made some great friends that way. Also do not have to repeat the same conversations with new people each evening.

Maybe I am missing it, but I am not seeing the option to have the dining experience. I see you can select the same size table at the same time each evening, but no way to avoid having different people join you every evening. (Assuming you are not traveling with others you want to dine with.)

6 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

You cannot count on the show times being the same each night.  I have often seen them change throughout the cruise, depending on the show or headliner act.  Also, whatever was the case on one ship can change, depending on the ED & CD.

Correct, but traditional has always been timed so that both early and late seatings can attend the show and/or other big event.

But without know the basic show times in advance, it is hard to pick a dining time that would still allow that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ombud said:

I'm trying but it's not live. Looking to book 3 nights Alfredo / 3 nights MDR by window facing forward / 1 night specialty. Will try again on the 7th

If you have to book Alfredo's that is a real negative. It was always walk in anytime, almost never a wait. They only time I ever saw a shortage of tables was on boarding day lunch when only half the tables were open for service.

• Like 1