Decided cruising is going to start so booked 16 cruises

8 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Are all 6 seven day cruises? I think I did pretty good but no JS booked and the last one if I do it on oasis is over 2k by itself which throws my average cost off. 

Maybe out of pocket means something else in your fuzzy math or some shorter cruises. I had a bunch of great deals but they slowly are being cancelled. Couldnt lift and shift my great deal for april I just lost without cancelling something else. 

Congrats on what must be some great deals.

2 @ 3 nights, with me paying the deposit for my son's birthday, and deposit for his fiancé

1 @ 7 nights

2 @ 10 nights

1@ 11 nights

The JS was on one of the 3 nighters, and it was $870

Before my fuzzy math, the average per night (before tips, which are "reminbursed" by the fuzzy math) is $169.

What I say here is not intended to be bragging, but to be encouraging.  If one researches, one can find good prices.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1

We only have two booked currently one of which was a lift and shift. I’m still on the fence on whether I think our September Oasis cruise will happen but if we get closer and it looks like a go then we’ll probably book another cruise for December. If not then we’ll probably stop booking until things are more certain. I’d be lying if I said I haven’t had to show tremendous restraint in booking for 2022 though.

4 hours ago, Karter said:

I apologize for being insensitive to the financial environment and the struggles some families are dealing with due to Covid. I was trying to show that cruising is a great value compared to other vacation options. We live in Florida and to see what it costs for a family of 4 to go to one of the theme parks for a day amazes me. 

If it wasn't for the double points and my wife's desire to get to pinnacle I would not have booked so many at once. But of course we love cruising and it is still a great value. Plus as other posters have said you can't take it with you and you only live once.

We are avid savers and spend very little on other things so we can cruise and this is an anomaly for us. 

No need to apologize

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, pcur said:

Yep, that's the one.  Plus, my bulk buying store gives me an annual rebate on travel booked with them, and a shopping card when I get back from every cruise.  Those two things decrease my out-of-pocket, too.

Our SAM'S Club MC changed the rebate tiers for 2021. No more 3% cash back on travel.😪

2 hours ago, fungirl28 said:

I have two booked, one in December and one next October. Now that the Navigator is going to be in California, I plan to book to while onboard. Can't wait to get back to cruising.

I know, Tenisha, it's exciting to have our very own ship on the left coast again, right?

I had a friend comment on doing the same ports repetitively.  I looked at the shore excursions in Ensenada and Catalina, and it would take me 3 cruises to see everything that was interesting to me in those ports.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I only count 7 days or more as a cruise. Below 7 days is a boat trip 🤭

Not if you do a 3 b2b with a 4 day:  then it's a 7 day.  Most of the ships doing shorter cruises alternate the itineraries, so if one does a b2b, it's a great cruise.  Turnaround day depends on where we are docked:  sometimes it's a "sea day", and sometimes it's a "shore excursion day".

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Our SAM'S Club MC changed the rebate tiers for 2021. No more 3% cash back on travel.😪

You need to switch to the "other" one.  4% on gasoline, and still 3% on travel.  I use the travel store cards I get upon return almost exclusively for gas.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Bank of America’s cash rewards card allows you to change categories once a month, if you want to.  I keep the 3% category set on travel unless there is a larger purchase planned (online shopping category used when I bought my iPad Pro and Christmas gift cards online).  Then I change it right back to travel.  If you have a checking or savings account with BOA, you get a bonus on the 3%, and there is no minimum to cash in points.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Bank of America’s cash rewards card allows you to change categories once a month, if you want to.  I keep the 3% category set on travel unless there is a larger purchase planned (online shopping category used when I bought my iPad Pro and Christmas gift cards online).  Then I change it right back to travel.  If you have a checking or savings account with BOA, you get a bonus on the 3%, and there is no minimum to cash in points.

I just got one of these cards a couple of months ago.  so far I'm accumulating great rewards.  Better than any previous cards I have had.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fungirl28 said:

I have two booked, one in December and one next October. Now that the Navigator is going to be in California, I plan to book to while onboard. Can't wait to get back to cruising.

26 minutes ago, pcur said:

I know, Tenisha, it's exciting to have our very own ship on the left coast again, right?

I had a friend comment on doing the same ports repetitively.  I looked at the shore excursions in Ensenada and Catalina, and it would take me 3 cruises to see everything that was interesting to me in those ports.

I booked three so far.  2 4 day to Catalina and Ensenada and 1 7 day to Cabo, Vallarta and Mazatlan. I'm pretty sure I won't get bored!   

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

When I worked on my long time job (25)years I had 5 weeks vacation at the  20 th.year and beyond.

I always forget how little vacation time working Americans are given. I have 18 years service with the NHS and get 33 days plus 8 bank holidays per annum. As I don’t work weekends this amounts to 8 weeks and a day. Sometimes it’s great to be British! 😁

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I just got one of these cards a couple of months ago.  so far I'm accumulating great rewards.  Better than any previous cards I have had.

I have a lot of cards that I use for different purposes.  My favorites are Citi Double Cash at 2% for everything, combined with BOA’s 3% for travel.  

5 hours ago, Karter said:

I apologize for being insensitive to the financial environment and the struggles some families are dealing with due to Covid. I was trying to show that cruising is a great value compared to other vacation options. We live in Florida and to see what it costs for a family of 4 to go to one of the theme parks for a day amazes me. 

If it wasn't for the double points and my wife's desire to get to pinnacle I would not have booked so many at once. But of course we love cruising and it is still a great value. Plus as other posters have said you can't take it with you and you only live once.

We are avid savers and spend very little on other things so we can cruise and this is an anomaly for us. 

Why are you apologizing for living your life?  There's always going to be those that can afford things that others  can't.  We spent years not being able to do everything we wanted to, but now that we're older we have more disposable income and flexibility so we do what we want.  It's really no one's business why you're cruising or spending YOUR money.  

As for the "boast and brag" comment, that is one of the most ridiculous comments I have ever seen.   But, then, that poster has some some other things I think are ridiculous.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, pcur said:

2 @ 3 nights, with me paying the deposit for my son's birthday, and deposit for his fiancé

1 @ 7 nights

2 @ 10 nights

1@ 11 nights

The JS was on one of the 3 nighters, and it was $870

Before my fuzzy math, the average per night (before tips, which are "reminbursed" by the fuzzy math) is $169.

What I say here is not intended to be bragging, but to be encouraging.  If one researches, one can find good prices.

I think I'm about as good as I could do. If I booked a better deal but costs me more to get there I've kinda decided no. Like new orleans is often cheaper but hotels and parking is more and its twice as far. Tampa had some deals etc. I'm to the pt driving less even paying a tad more is preferred.

I do have several below 100 a day. Im ready. I need a break from my family at times lol. I dont dislike them, but at their age they can be trying. Ha. Improves my temperament to take breaks

35 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Breaking News - People that live in port cities often leave from other port cities. 

Nice try, but the argument remains the same.  Those who live in a port city or close by have lower travel costs in general than those who have to fly into town.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Have I told you how big my house is ??? 😎🙄

Well, it would be appropriate if this was a site to discuss homes, architecture, remodeling, etc.  Homes and sizes do come up in some conversations here.  How does it injure someone else to discuss with mostly complete strangers?  It's not like we're all standing around at a cocktail party or in church or in another setting talking these subjects. And, most of us here are complete strangers so even if I tell you how big my house is, how exactly does that impact you?  

5 hours ago, 1980dory said:

...not that expensive...  Have you ever considered that not everyone has $23,686 laying around to drop on cruises?  Many out there have to scrimp and scrape to save enough to buy a minimal cruise much less a balcony cabin.

You seem to not understand that reality.

And some are booking 10k suites. Who cares. I love to compare deals. 

It's not healthy to stay home all the time either.

5 hours ago, Karter said:

No need to say sorry. My wife always says to me if i could be posted to america, well Florida, i wouldnt see her as she would be cruising every week. When its less then £300 for a 4 day cruise including food, you would be mad not to go often.

Here in the UK you can easy spend £100 in a bar in one night. I dread to think how much i spent in my late teens and early 20s in the bars and nightclubs........although i did have a great time lol.

I would love to be able to drive to the port and hope on a ship, but here in UK cruises are expensive hence why i only go on 7+ day cruises and Fly to the States.

So please enjoy your cruising just hope we can all get onboard soon

• Like 1

My plan is to retire at 60.  That's 5 years from now.  Until then I plan to do at least 4  cruises per year.  2 week long and 2 short ones. In retirement I'm going to strive for 100 days a year on a ship.  If I could do more I would.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Breaking News - People that live in port cities often leave from other port cities. 

Thanks for that "Breaking News" very helpful addition to my response to the OP :classic_wink:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yogimax said:

Nice try, but the argument remains the same.  Those who live in a port city or close by have lower travel costs in general than those who have to fly into town.  

Don't you live in a port city.🤔

So you have no flight expenses either 

• Haha 1