"Medallion Class" with out a smartphone.

skidroe

How can a person that does not have a "smart phone" be able to cruise on PCL in the future?

It sounds like everything will be on smart phones, no printed Princess Patter, everything on the phone, scheduling embarkation times, dinners, etc.

It seems like cruising is going hi-tech and leaving we old cruisers out.

We only have a flip phone to call for emergencies when we drive.

• Like 1

The TV in your cabin is interactive and can connect with the ship's system. There are also kiosks around the ship (by the elevators is one place) where you can also interact.

An inexpensive tablet like a Kindle Fire or something like it will also connect you as long as it has WiFi.

• Like 1

If you prefer, you can ask the nice nice folks at Passenger Services onboard and they will give you a cruise card that you are familiar with instead of the Medallion.  Apparently, you are not alone and this is easily taken care of.  Use your in tv in the cabin to find out dining times and activities and such.  Enjoy!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have always gotten the old fashion plastic cruise card. They will always be available because the literature with the medallion states it has a magnet and not for people with pacemakers or other implanted devises. Because of that liability Princess has a back up plan to give you a cruise card instead. 

Gossip about the patter and everything else. When cruising begins I'll see what it's like and make a decision if it's still the vacation of choice for me. 

• Like 1

It can be done. Like before you enter your immigration data in the cruise personlizer. Print your boarding pass. Show up at the pier and you will be given your medallions. Once on board you may have to program all your activities using the cabin TV.

But, you could be at a pre-cruise disadvantage. Suggest you e-mail Princess customer relations and see what they say. Mention what kind of device/programs you currently use, such as a laptop with Windows 10. 

56 minutes ago, skidroe said:

How can a person that does not have a "smart phone" be able to cruise on PCL in the future?

It sounds like everything will be on smart phones, no printed Princess Patter, everything on the phone, scheduling embarkation times, dinners, etc.

It seems like cruising is going hi-tech and leaving we old cruisers out.

We only have a flip phone to call for emergencies when we drive.

I have an idea for you.  Do you have a child, for example, that upgrades phones?  You might get their slightly older smartphone and leave their old SIM card in it.  Put it in AIRPLANE MODE and turn on WIFI.  You could use that phone anywhere you can connect to Wifi and run more current apps, such as Ocean Medallion I am thinking.  Something to consider without having an account or plan with a cell provider.  Just think of the smartphone as a pocket PC. 

Another option is a tablet which you might also use to play movies or other content. 

You do not need the cellular telephony aspects to make effective use of the device for various purposes.  Keep your old flip phone for those emergency calls.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I have an idea for you.  Do you have a child, for example, that upgrades phones?  You might get their slightly older smartphone and leave their old SIM card in it.  Put it in AIRPLANE MODE and turn on WIFI.  You could use that phone anywhere you can connect to Wifi and run more current apps, such as Ocean Medallion I am thinking.  Something to consider without having an account or plan with a cell provider.  Just think of the smartphone as a pocket PC. 

Another option is a tablet which you might also use to play movies or other content. 

You do not need the cellular telephony aspects to make effective use of the device for various purposes.  Keep your old flip phone for those emergency calls.

This advice is almost correct. Old smart phone with WiFi turned on, but not in airplane mode will work fine. If you put it in airplane mode, that turns off all external communication, including WiFi. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sea Hag said:

This advice is almost correct. Old smart phone with WiFi turned on, but not in airplane mode will work fine. If you put it in airplane mode, that turns off all external communication, including WiFi. 

DOH!!!  Well since the SIM card won't work.  But, I think Airplane Mode might stop error messages such as no carrier to connect to.

What you said about Wifi is true, which is why I said to turn ON Wifi after turning ON Airplane Mode.  You can run with Wifi - and Bluetooth for that matter - in Airplane Mode.  

• Like 3

Since you don't have a smartphone, I doubt you are on Instagram, but if you can access Cruise Critic, you can access YouTube.com

Princess has started a series called Medallion Monday on both platforms, and a new, informative video comes out every Monday. Yesterday's had a section on exactly your concern.  I won't give details away, but no, you won't be left behind if you don't have, or want to use, a smartphone.   

I've used the Medallion before, but there are some new, very neat functions now, and I highly recommend watching these videos.  If on Insta, follow Princess cruises.

If not, search "Medallion Monday" on YouTube.  Not sure if its on FB as well... 

• Like 4

Help, need clarification.  We are of the older generation and only use our Smart Phones for very basic things --- usually have our granddaughter help us out when necessary.  For our upcoming Princess cruise it seems as though Princess has gotten more high tech than our last cruise.  Therefore, we need a little clarification.  We will be bringing our Samsung Galaxy A51 phones.  I already have the Medallion Class app loaded on our phones.  To use on the ship, do we just put phone in Airplane Mode and then choose the Medallion Class app to connect and operate our choices on the ship?  Once the phone is in Airplane Mode we won't incur any data or internet cost, correct?  Thanks in advance for the help.

13 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

DOH!!!  Well since the SIM card won't work.  But, I think Airplane Mode might stop error messages such as no carrier to connect to.

What you said about Wifi is true, which is why I said to turn ON Wifi after turning ON Airplane Mode.  You can run with Wifi - and Bluetooth for that matter - in Airplane Mode.  

Learn something new every day! You're right, of course. I tried it out on my phone. Had Wifi on and turned on airplane mode. That turned off Wifi. Turned Wifi back on again, with airplane mode already enabled, and it works fine. This is good to know!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Help, need clarification.  We are of the older generation and only use our Smart Phones for very basic things --- usually have our granddaughter help us out when necessary.  For our upcoming Princess cruise it seems as though Princess has gotten more high tech than our last cruise.  Therefore, we need a little clarification.  We will be bringing our Samsung Galaxy A51 phones.  I already have the Medallion Class app loaded on our phones.  To use on the ship, do we just put phone in Airplane Mode and then choose the Medallion Class app to connect and operate our choices on the ship?  Once the phone is in Airplane Mode we won't incur any data or internet cost, correct?  Thanks in advance for the help.

True, in Airplane Mode, your phone will not / can not connect to a wireless carrier in any country. 

You can use Wifi to connect to internet and as long as you have free access to that or a password, then you can proceed.  You may find some free internet cafe places on land, but Princess does charge for accessing their internet.  

That said, you can use shipboard functionality in Ocean Medallion without having access to internet and paying for that.  The extra access to internet will allow you to get/send emails, browse websites outside of Princess, and run various apps.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

True, in Airplane Mode, your phone will not / can not connect to a wireless carrier in any country. 

You can use Wifi to connect to internet and as long as you have free access to that or a password, then you can proceed.  You may find some free internet cafe places on land, but Princess does charge for accessing their internet.  

That said, you can use shipboard functionality in Ocean Medallion without having access to internet and paying for that.  The extra access to internet will allow you to get/send emails, browse websites outside of Princess, and run various apps.

Thank you for the detailed explanation, I appreciate it.  We will have complimentary access to WiFi minutes due to our Princess status so we will be able to check things using the ship's desktops.  In town, I can turn WiFi back on if I need to check on things --- I just didn't want to take out an internet plan just to connect to Medallion. 

One last thing, do you know if I will be able to access the Medallion network in the cruise terminal prior to boarding?  Or, do I need to wait until I am on the ship to access it.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Italy52 said:

Thank you for the detailed explanation, I appreciate it.  We will have complimentary access to WiFi minutes due to our Princess status so we will be able to check things using the ship's desktops.  In town, I can turn WiFi back on if I need to check on things --- I just didn't want to take out an internet plan just to connect to Medallion. 

One last thing, do you know if I will be able to access the Medallion network in the cruise terminal prior to boarding?  Or, do I need to wait until I am on the ship to access it.  Thanks.

As I said, you do not need a Princess internet plan to use Medallion functionality.

As for the terminals, it depends on where you sit, how far from the ship as to whether you might pick up a Wifi signal with enough strength.  Your device reception ability would also affect this. 

IDK about ALL terminals, but they do have their own Wifi networks often. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Italy52 said:

We will be bringing our Samsung Galaxy A51 phones.  I already have the Medallion Class app loaded on our phones.  To use on the ship, do we just put phone in Airplane Mode and then choose the Medallion Class app to connect and operate our choices on the ship?  Once the phone is in Airplane Mode we won't incur any data or internet cost, correct?  Thanks in advance for the help.

Once in Airplane mode you will need to enable WIFI.

This will allow you to access the ship's Intranet which is needed for Medallion Class app features while on the ship.

Intranet is not Internet, so you will not be connecting to the Internet unless you specifically sign up to do so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

I've used the Medallion before, but there are some new, very neat functions now, and I highly recommend watching these videos

Interesting! On previous medallion voyages I've had to have the medallion touch a screen to exit and reboard ship which is why I kept it on a retractable clip. That is changed

6 hours ago, caribill said:

This will allow you to access the ship's Intranet which is needed for Medallion Class app features while on the ship.

Intranet is not Internet, so you will not be connecting to the Internet unless you specifically sign up to do so.

Thanks for clarifying that. I was just about to jump in with this comment.

6 hours ago, caribill said:

Thanks for clarifying that. I was just about to jump in with this comment.

I also not being one for a smartphone and have used Medallion on my last cruise on Crown but purely as a replacement for my cruise card and it worked OK and when buying purchases from shop just showed Medallion instead of cruise card. But now it has progressed a step too far for me with everything being bookable via smartphone and now no Princes Patter and I certainly can imagine queues around the ship for those not using smartphones waiting to use the screens. Sorry it is not for me and probably, no sorry more likely, be the end of cruising with Princess for us.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

and now no Princes Patter and I certainly can imagine queues around the ship for those not using smartphones waiting to use the screens. Sorry it is not for me and probably, no sorry more likely, be the end of cruising with Princess for us.

Wait patiently for cruising to restart. No Princess Patter is a RUMOR. It may not happen.

Even if they make it available on the smart phones, there will likely be printed versions available on request.

I personally don't think it will happen. If they stop printing the Patter, what will they use as an excuse for all the ads for the "sales", art auctions, etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

I also not being one for a smartphone and have used Medallion on my last cruise on Crown but purely as a replacement for my cruise card and it worked OK and when buying purchases from shop just showed Medallion instead of cruise card. But now it has progressed a step too far for me with everything being bookable via smartphone and now no Princes Patter and I certainly can imagine queues around the ship for those not using smartphones waiting to use the screens. Sorry it is not for me and probably, no sorry more likely, be the end of cruising with Princess for us.

We wondered how we would do without a smartphone last Summer for our Princess Norwegian Fjords cruise, but of course we never found out.

I fear too that we will also have to be done with Princess if the medallion leads to you need a smartphone to make everything work.