CDC says no more masks for the vaccinated, so now what?

cruisestitch

Hopefully, the CDC will modify its restrictive guidelines for the cruise lines regarding masking.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/news/2021/05/13/new-cdc-guidelines-vaccinated-americans-can-stop-wearing-masks/5079292001/

Amazing, the CDC only issued the cruise guidelines a few days ago, stating that masks were still required outside and that while dining you couldn't just sit there unmasked unless eating or drinking.

This is a good sign for cruising.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

at least the people who actually LIVE in FL are actually LIVING their lives.  

Except the dead. And BTW my life has been LIVED here in Ohio. Golf, work, travel in and out of state and dining out. 

But I prefer cruising on a ship that lets me LIVE by requiring my fellow passengers and crew have been vaccinated.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, medtech71 said:

If you’re vaccinated, what do you care if someone else isn’t?

I care if there is an outbreak on my cruise. Don’t wanna be confined to my cabin, etc. etc., etc.

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Before you throw away that mask consider that 8 fully vaccinated players and coaches on the NY Yankees just tested positive.  All had received J&J.  7 are asymptomatic.  One vaccinated player had also gone through covid in the off-season.

Just happy I received Pfizer.

This is exactly my concern.

While the no mask dances are going full force, the elephant in the room is this:

If this happens on a fully vaccinated (or, claimed to be fully vaccinated cruise), what happens to this sailing.  8 Yankees out of a maximum of 100 people is something on the order of 8%.  8% of even reduced capacity of say, 2000, is 160 infections.  Will a port allow the ship to dock?  Not likely.  Will the ship have to return to port of embarkation?  Likely.

Having experienced a sailing where we were 100% virus free and yet were denied dockage at 8 ports, I would want to know the specific procedures if there is an infection.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, medtech71 said:

Because no one is vaccinated against the variants yet, some of which are more contagious than the original strain.  Knowledge is your friend.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

The pandemic is already under control.  The cases and deaths are now lower than those for an average flu season.  The CDC while giving in still had to hold on to something so they maintained the public transportation etc thing.  It won't be long before they capitulate further. Looks like the public finally paid attention to the "man" behind the curtain and pulled it open ala Wizard of Oz!

They can't hold out on public transportation much longer – they are hemorrhaging money that the cities don't have.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

What article did you read where "cruise ships" were specifically included in the list of public transportation. I'm not seeing it in the reference made in this one.

The new advice comes with caveats. Even vaccinated individuals must cover their faces and physically distance when going to doctors, hospitals or long-term care facilities like nursing homes; when traveling by bus, plane, train or other modes of public transportation, or while in transportation hubs like airports and bus stations; and when in prisons, jails or homeless shelters.

C.D.C. Says Vaccinated People Can Go Maskless in Most Places (msn.com)

Ken from the very beginning cdc us considered cruise ships the equivalent in risk to other congregant living situations like nursing homes and prisons. And while I’m not super happy with how the cdc has been, there is good scientific reason to assume the above

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, TMLAalum said:

Except the dead. And BTW my life has been LIVED here in Ohio. Golf, work, travel in and out of state and dining out. 

But I prefer cruising on a ship that lets me LIVE by requiring my fellow passengers and crew have been vaccinated.

Your comment makes no sense. Florida's Covid death rate ranks 26th out of 50 states (deaths per million). Perhaps you should direct your comments to the governors of New York and New Jersey - the two highest death rates per million in the country.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, medtech71 said:

You care when you have family, or friends, anyone you love, that cannot be, regardless of what they wish to do. ❤️  

Edited by Lunesse
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Ken from the very beginning cdc us considered cruise ships the equivalent in risk to other congregant living situations like nursing homes and prisons. And while I’m not super happy with how the cdc has been, there is good scientific reason to assume the above

Understand. But I will add that today is a new day with not only the latest CSO modifications over the past few weeks, but also with the potential new CSO face mask modifications and other related issues hopefully coming from the CDC in the next few weeks with the latest announcement regarding masks and social distancing today. Mind you I'm referring only to cruise lines opting for the 95%/98% vaccination option regarding the upcoming restricted cruises.

1 hour ago, ChutChut said:

Your comment makes no sense. Florida's Covid death rate ranks 26th out of 50 states (deaths per million). Perhaps you should direct your comments to the governors of New York and New Jersey - the two highest death rates per million in the country.

Happy that you are proud of Florida’s Covid death ranking. I prefer that my upcoming cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale be a vaccinated cruise so the chance of a Covid outbreak is infinitesimal. Should an outbreak occur, would we be welcomed back to Florida or have to beg to be allowed to return to Ft. Lauderdale?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

But refusing to permit cruise lines to require proof of vaccination. Double standard?

Not a double standard, a non-standard, a crazy-standard.

I expect I will be going a lot of places before I go to Florida.

3 hours ago, Lunesse said:

You care when you have family, or friends, anyone you love, that cannot be, regardless of what they wish to do. ❤️  

Huh?  So, people shouldn’t be allowed on cruises unvaccinated, except the loved ones who can’t, and you need to be vaccinated to help them?

1. Vaccinated people can still get sick.

2.  Vaccinated people can still transmit to others.

3.  See 1 & 2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, medtech71 said:

1. Vaccinated people can still get sick.

2.  Vaccinated people can still transmit to others.

3.  See 1 & 2.

Sounds just like a prescription to keep the population under government control forever.  No matter what comes along, both in terms of vaccination and/or therapeutics, it will never be enough for those who demand "complete safety" from this disease that has a 99%+ survival rate.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

Amazing, the CDC only issued the cruise guidelines a few days ago, stating that masks were still required outside and that while dining you couldn't just sit there unmasked unless eating or drinking.

This is a good sign for cruising.

The masks while dining is still there.  Personally, I find it ridiculous.

In a land based restaurant, you don't need your masks at all while eating or drinking.  There's no information there about who is vaccinated and who isn't - I could be the only vaccinated person there.  Yet, on a ship, where everyone (or almost everyone is vaccinated), you have to keep your masks on throughout.  

Sometimes it feels like the CDC is living in an alternate reality.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, abbydancer said:

The masks while dining is still there.  Personally, I find it ridiculous.

In a land based restaurant, you don't need your masks at all while eating or drinking.  There's no information there about who is vaccinated and who isn't - I could be the only vaccinated person there.  Yet, on a ship, where everyone (or almost everyone is vaccinated), you have to keep your masks on throughout.  

Sometimes it feels like the CDC is living in an alternate reality.

If you´d take the time to really read the regulations and translate them into life on board a ship, plus maybe look at how it is already done on ships sailing (incl. Royal), you´d notice that it is exactly the same as in restaurants on land... walk to the table = mask on, dine = mask off, walk away from table = mask on.

Sometimes I get the feeling many people here live in a reality they want to create and sustain just to get upset about it...

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

If you´d take the time to really read the regulations and translate them into life on board a ship, plus maybe look at how it is already done on ships sailing (incl. Royal), you´d notice that it is exactly the same as in restaurants on land... walk to the table = mask on, dine = mask off, walk away from table = mask on.

Sometimes I get the feeling many people here live in a reality they want to create and sustain just to get upset about it...

"While the Order permits temporarily removing a mask for brief periods of time while eating or drinking, removal of the mask for extended meal service or beverage consumption would constitute a violation of this Order"

To me, that means you can't do what you said above.  And ships "already sailing" are  irrelevant, since they don't sail out of the US and thus not subject to CDC rules.

Sometimes I get the feeling that many people here don't read things carefully before attacking others.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Before you throw away that mask consider that 8 fully vaccinated players and coaches on the NY Yankees just tested positive.  All had received J&J.  7 are asymptomatic.  One vaccinated player had also gone through covid in the off-season.

Just happy I received Pfizer.

Sorry to burst your bubble but people who have had the Pfizer vaccine have also caught COVID.  My daughter being one of them.