The Department of Homeland Security is considering a vaccination passport for international travel

ontheweb

I support the concept.  I see no need for a re-invention of something that already exists.  The Yellow Folder that has been used for decades to show proof of vaccination.  It meets the Secretary's desire to make whatever is "developed" is available for all Americans.  While most of us have smartphones that could handle some kind of a proof of vaccination app, some of us don't.  

• Like 3

Well, they started walking that back pretty fast...

"A DHS spokesperson later on Friday clarified Mayorkas' comments, saying that there will be no "federal mandate" for vaccine passports in the U.S."

https://www.axios.com/biden-covid-vaccine-passport-mayorkas-travel-546fec90-3b6d-4d84-afff-64c1514ad295.html

23 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

"A DHS spokesperson later on Friday clarified Mayorkas' comments, saying that there will be no "federal mandate" for vaccine passports in the U.S."

https://www.axios.com/biden-covid-vaccine-passport-mayorkas-travel-546fec90-3b6d-4d84-afff-64c1514ad295.html

It does not say they are "walking back" the idea of an international vaccine passport, only domestic. I hope they have it for international.

• Like 2

Any among us surprised?  We probably have a good idea as to what "ought to be done......but, do we dare do it"? 

It's almost like a dance:  take one step forward, then two steps back, and repeat and repeat and....

I wouldn't call that walking it back. Did you read the article linked by the OP? It clearly said that it wouldn't be mandated, but would be available for international travellers going to countries that required proof of vaccination.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mom says said:

I wouldn't call that walking it back. Did you read the article linked by the OP? It clearly said that it wouldn't be mandated, but would be available for international travellers going to countries that required proof of vaccination.  

I did, but it seems that many people are worried that any federal vaccine passport will become mandatory in order to travel anywhere.

It has also become routine that anytime a government official makes a statement, another government official has to later "clarify" the original statement. Not that it surprises me, since I work for the government and deal on a daily basis with the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing or saying.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

I did, but it seems that many people are worried that any federal vaccine passport will become mandatory in order to travel anywhere.

As did I read the statement and I agree with what you said.  There are those who do not want the Federal government to have any record of who did or did not accept the vaccine.  

7 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

As did I read the statement and I agree with what you said.  There are those who do not want the Federal government to have any record of who did or did not accept the vaccine.  

That is ok as long as they do not plan to travel to any Country that requires proof of the vaccine

I would welcome it if our Government would digitally attach  it to our passport  similar to VISAs that some Countries require

YMMV

• Like 5

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I support the concept.  I see no need for a re-invention of something that already exists.  The Yellow Folder that has been used for decades to show proof of vaccination.  It meets the Secretary's desire to make whatever is "developed" is available for all Americans.  While most of us have smartphones that could handle some kind of a proof of vaccination app, some of us don't.  

Japanese government announced yesterday their new app for vaccine proof and tracking while visiting the country. A smartphone is required to use the app.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donald said:

Japanese government announced yesterday their new app for vaccine proof and tracking while visiting the country. A smartphone is required to use the app.

That is what concerns me.  

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I would welcome it if our Government would digitally attach  it to our passport  similar to VISAs that some Countries require

OK with me.  The current issue for those of us in the United States is that it would require massive numbers of new passports to be issued.  Because of the 2020 closure of the Passport Offices, there are already significant backlogs of applications for new and renewal passports.  

Why does it seem to me that the old KISS philosophy lacks respect?  If the Yellow Vaccination Certificate worked before, it would work now.  Keep It Simple Stupid!  

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Why does it seem to me that the old KISS philosophy lacks respect?  If the Yellow Vaccination Certificate worked before, it would work now.  Keep It Simple Stupid!  

'Cause somebody with a lot of shares of a MEGA data management company wouldn't mind seeing their shares go up a point or two 😎

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Forgery. Digital is seen as less likely to be forged. Even Nigeria has been moving the Yellow Fever Certificate to a digital platform because of a spate of counterfeit certificates. 

How Will Digital Yellow Card Certificates Track COVID-19 Immunizations?

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I think its excellent news. They won't be the only country - travel between Australia and NZ has only just restarted - and you  need to  download the relevant app for you to track you movements in the country. You  don't need to have  a data plan jut a smart phone 

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Hospitals/clinics etc , wherever someone got the vaccine reports the numbers to a higher authority and could provide the names. The federal government could easily get the names of all those vaccinated and therefore if your name isn't on the list it could be assumed you aren't vaccinated.  I travel a great deal and it would make it very handy to have that verified.  Similar to having to show proof of smallpox vaccinations in the not too distant past.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

My yellow card  anyone can write  dates or vaccine type on it    not sure if the USA have a more secure  one or not

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Unfortunately we live in an age where honesty is no longer popular and ethics is derisively referred to as "virtue signalling" (or worse).

The simple truth is that those cards of yore are MUCH too easily forged and a more secure system is required.

What's the big deal about getting a smart phone? It's ultimately just one more thing you'll need to travel, if not to use in daily life. I imagine sometime, somewhere, at some time in the past there was someone saying "Why do I need a suitcase to travel? I can just stuff my things in a pillowcase..."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

OK with me.  The current issue for those of us in the United States is that it would require massive numbers of new passports to be issued.  Because of the 2020 closure of the Passport Offices, there are already significant backlogs of applications for new and renewal passports.  

There would be no reason to reissue passports. It would be an online form that would filled out and then the info would be digitally attached to your 'chipped' passport. All that would probably be needed is a digital positive marker, no health info. 

(It could, going forward, be part of a passport application, but that makes updating for boosters, or other vaccines more problematic)

Kind of like when I travel to the USA using my UK passport. I fill out the info on line, it is approved within 48hr, then there is a digital 'esta' approval attached to my passport, no paper version issued. I renew it biannually. If booster shots are needed for covid, you would just update online.

The problem is all countries would have to agree to the method used for reading the info when entering a country.

Cheers, h.

Edited by middlehaitch
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I don’t have a yellow vaccination certificate. I suppose if they decided that this was the ‘vaccine passport’ I could get one. But since I have already gotten my vaccine, then either my doctor or I would have to fill the entry out for the Covid vaccine. I got my vaccine from the health department. My doctor doesn’t know I got it other than self reporting. So this is basically going to depend 100% on self reporting. What’s the point then? Just ask someone if they had the vaccine.

A digital vaccine passport where whoever logs your entry verifies that you did have the vaccine would be far more secure. 

10 hours ago, lissie said:

I think its excellent news. They won't be the only country - travel between Australia and NZ has only just restarted - and you  need to  download the relevant app for you to track you movements in the country. You  don't need to have  a data plan jut a smart phone 

Maybe airports and cruise ports could rent out smart phones for your trip. 📱 

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

What's the big deal about getting a smart phone? It's ultimately just one more thing you'll need to travel, if not to use in daily life.

We rarely use a cell phone  so why would I spend $$  to get  a smart phone  plus the data charges  here in Canada  are very expensive

YMMV

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

We rarely use a cell phone  so why would I spend $$  to get  a smart phone  plus the data charges  here in Canada  are very expensive

YMMV

Exactly.  Our cell phones have not been turned on for 14 months now.  Now that we're retired and not commuting, we only used them for calling the shuttle after a cruise.

Is there a smart phone in the US without monthly charges?