Would you take this flight?

phabric

Going on Alaska cruise August 2022.  EzAir opens up soon.

Cruise is a Saturday and ships leaves at 4:30pm.

flight is 4hr 44 minutes, not stop

Toronto, Canada (YYZ) 7am to Vancouver, Canada (YVR)@ 8:44am 

• Haha 1

I would probably take it. However I would check out the on time statistics for it and maybe call to ask where that flight usually comes from to decide for sure. Sometimes you can see that on the app, if you check flight status for a current flight. I prefer to have a secondary option available to still arrive on time, meaning, there’s another flight that would get me there if something goes wrong. Arriving the day before gives me more confidence but that’s not always possible 

• Like 1

If you can't fly a day prior, earliest flight possible is your best bet. Nonstop, like this flight, is definitely a plus. My only other question would be, is there another flight available, that would get you to the port on time, should something happen with this flight?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Our flight into Seattle for our cruise to Alaska last month was over 5 hours late.  We were very glad that we were arriving a day early so although we missed seeing Seattle, we didn't miss the cruise.  Coming home, it was delayed over 2 hours.  Flights are not as reliable as they once were!

• Like 2

My only observation is you will have been up at 3 am to get to your originating flight in Toronto.  You will be lucky to get aboard before noon. Jj You will be able to go to bed early on the ship as you will be exhausted, but why not really enjoy your ship day and come early..also have  a few hours to see Vancouver downtown should you choose. 

• Like 1

If you ever missed your cruise because the flight you took the day of embarkation was delayed, I promise you would never think of flying in the day of embarkation.... Trust me on this one😵.

Worst experience we ever had on a vacation and wouldn't want anyone to have to go through what we did.

• Like 1

I flew in the day of my cruise last month. Knowing that Princess would try to catch me up to the ship and would arrange a hotel for me in Seattle if it couldn't were a couple of the reasons I paid a little bit more to book the flight through Princess than booking it on my own. It helped that I was traveling solo and have been to Alaska several times before. 

Yeah, no. I've had too many flights delayed or even cancelled while sitting at the gate. And good luck getting on the next flight, even if there is one. Chances are it won't have an open seat. And then there is the problem of downline boarding if you miss embarkation...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AZjohn said:

If you ever missed your cruise because the flight you took the day of embarkation was delayed, I promise you would never think of flying in the day of embarkation.... Trust me on this one😵.

Worst experience we ever had on a vacation and wouldn't want anyone to have to go through what we did.

I agree with AZjohn... been there once and that was enough. Flew in the day of  and because of delays, missed the ship. With the itinerary we were doing, we didn't catch up until Day 3.

As the OP probably knows, Air Canada flies from YYZ to YVR almost hourly....so book a late morning flight out of Toronto the day before the cruise, arriving mid-day in Vancouver having the afternoon and evening to relax, enjoy the Vancouver morning the next day, and leisurely board the ship mid-day.

All very easy and stress free

We are flying Air Transat Toronto to Vancouver May 11th, same timing as you.  With COVID precautions we wanted to fly in the day of the cruise and fly out as soon as the cruise ends and we are totally comfortable with our decision.  May and August ensure winter weather won’t be a factor and both AT and AC are reliable airlines.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cnd crsr said:

I agree with AZjohn... been there once and that was enough. Flew in the day of  and because of delays, missed the ship. With the itinerary we were doing, we didn't catch up until Day 3.

Same as us, 2 full sea days until the ship hit the first port. Should have just turned around and flew home because my wife and I were so upset that we started to take it out on each other. Terrible memories 

Edited by AZjohn