Noise levels Princess production shows - too loud for comfort - who can adjust?

PaoloCaldo

The noise levels set for production shows on all Princess ships  are often too high for passenger comfort and many passengers  decide to miss the shows.

This difficulty has been raised many times on many ships by many passengers, including professional audiologists.

It remains an unattended issue because, despite  landside ‘customer relations’ advice to the contrary, sound levels cannot be adjusted on board.

Ship’s technical Officers always indicate that it is something that is not within their control, being a Head Office production matter.

It would be of great advantage to passengers if:

1 - Head Office reviewed the set sound levels

2- Ships’ Officers were given some discretion.

What support for this issue?

• Like 6

You are correct.  It is not just in the theater.  Add MUTS blaring during the day when you are trying to enjoy some fresh air.  Or the Piazza as you try to communicate with the Customer Service Representative.  I feel so bad for them.  I'm only there for a short period.  They are behind the counter for longer times.  

For me, a nice UNmic'd acoustical guitar or a lovely chamber music group would be a welcome addition to the piazza.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PaoloCaldo said:

The noise levels set for production shows on all Princess ships  are often too high for passenger comfort and many passengers  decide to miss the shows.

This difficulty has been raised many times on many ships by many passengers, including professional audiologists.

It remains an unattended issue because, despite  landside ‘customer relations’ advice to the contrary, sound levels cannot be adjusted on board.

Ship’s technical Officers always indicate that it is something that is not within their control, being a Head Office production matter.

It would be of great advantage to passengers if:

1 - Head Office reviewed the set sound levels

2- Ships’ Officers were given some discretion.

What support for this issue?

Can you pack some foam ear plugs? I have a hard time at concerts so I’m used to having them on hand. Some are quite comfy. They also can muffle snoring husbands. 😂

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I have issues with the lights in the theater. Far too often they pan bright white lights across the audience. It's blinding and extremely annoying. Many people have complained. On one cruise a bunch of folks complained loudly to the CD (who, of course, can't do anything about the problem). He eventually kind of lost his cool when being complained to about the lights.  Not good but, like I said, he really has no control over that aspect of the cruise.

I don't understand why they can't understand that shining blindingly bright lights in everybody's eyes is a bad thing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have previously posted (years ago) about the loud sound/music on Princess but nobody pays much attention to this ole guy.  As to MUTS, it was originally to be "Movies Under the Stars" but it gradually became "Blasting Sound All Day."  DW and I seek out deck loungers located forward of the speakers (and pool) where the sound is not too much of an issue (I can actually listen to my own music).  And yes, the sound in the theater has often been painfully loud.  The production sound is controlled by a sound technician but I assume he is wearing noise canceling headphones so he does not go permanently death.  I am old enough to remember when Princess used a real show band and the sound was fine.  But with these pre-recorded sound tracks and overpowered sound systems  we have talked to quite a few folks who now avoid the shows.  

We still book some Princess cruises, but much less then in years past.  Now we find ourselves attracted to lines like Seabourn where the atmosphere is more sedate and nobody thinks that blasting noise is a good thing.   Perhaps the next time we go on Princess (we have a booking on the Enchanted Princess) I will take along my good noise canceling headphones.  

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Personally, I like it loud. If you go to a live show on land it is always loud and I like it that way on the ship. Certainly in places like the Atrium where people might like to talk as well, I find loudness annoying but in the theatre I like it loud.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Have not found production show audio levels uncomfortable. Believe that theater sound levels are set by the programs provided when audio is pre-recorded, but not when the show has live musicians, such as Encore. Also think the production crews do have some control over the overall sound. Being miked myself the tech crew did do sound checks. Agree that MUTS is too loud and provides an unpleasant experience for those around the pool. Princess should avoid MUTS during daytime hours, or as an alternative provide sound through the app for those that wish to listen with headphones. By the way my hearing is not impaired.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, PaoloCaldo said:

Who are these 'many passengers' that you speak for?

My observation: you generally have to arrive very early to get a seat.

If only ... many passengers decided to miss the show!

Pack some foam earplugs.  They weigh nothing.

Edited by Roberto256
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

We have found on occasion if we arrive abit late all of the good seats are taken. Also sometimes the seats on the ship are to hard or to soft. Sometimes the shows are to long, some to short. Once and awhile we do not care for the entertainment but feel it is in bad taste to leave.😉😁. Please let every thing fall into place so we can board in November it has been to long.

We have found that 

47 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, leck57 said:

Personally, I like it loud. If you go to a live show on land it is always loud and I like it that way on the ship. Certainly in places like the Atrium where people might like to talk as well, I find loudness annoying but in the theatre I like it loud.

I am trying to preserve the hearing I have left so when She Who Must Be Obeyed stays home and I cruise solo, I never attend the production shows because they are over-amplified. I get a wee dram and try to find some acoustical music in the evenings.  If She Who Must Be Obeyed is along and insists that we can't miss anything, I take some earplugs and we sit in the back so we can leave if it's annoying.

IMHO they overamplify to cover up otherwise mediocre singers.  When they screech, nobody can tell the difference.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

Agree…I know we, our friends and family enjoy the shows…have not found them to be any different then most live shows we attend on land….loudness is such a subjective issue…

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Here's another vote for light weight foam ear plugs.  My wife and I have brought them to ALL Princess shows for years.  You can adjust them depending on the loudness, and even take one or two out for when someone is speaking on stage.  Very versatile, easy to carry, and easy to use. FWIW

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, skynight said:

Have not found production show audio levels uncomfortable. Believe that theater sound levels are set by the programs provided when audio is pre-recorded, but not when the show has live musicians, such as Encore. 

The musicians at shows like Encore are there for show like the dancers pretending to sing. They're just playing along with a recorded track. 

On 9/28/2021 at 8:00 PM, leck57 said:

Like it loud? The good news is that when you have enjoyed/endured enough loudness, you will be able to turn your hearing aids down. Thanks for your response

On 9/28/2021 at 7:07 AM, skynight said:

Agree that MUTS is too loud and provides an unpleasant experience for those around the pool. Princess should avoid MUTS during daytime hours, or as an alternative provide sound through the app for those that wish to listen with headphones. By the way my hearing is not impaired.  

Great idea!

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 7:07 AM, skynight said:

Have not found production show audio levels uncomfortable. Believe that theater sound levels are set by the programs provided when audio is pre-recorded, but not when the show has live musicians, such as Encore. Also think the production crews do have some control over the overall sound. Being miked myself the tech crew did do sound checks. Agree that MUTS is too loud and provides an unpleasant experience for those around the pool. Princess should avoid MUTS during daytime hours, or as an alternative provide sound through the app for those that wish to listen with headphones. By the way my hearing is not impaired.  

Here is a little factoid not known or forgotten.  When MUTS (which means "Movies Under the Stars")  was first implemented on the Grand Class ships it was only used at night and for a few special sporting events.  During the daytime there were sometimes silent videos such as the parachutist group or the surfing dog :).  After a period of time Princess tried some daytime programming (with audio) but that caused some grumbling.  So then Princess (at least on one of the Grand Class ship) tried an experiment giving every passenger a pair of wireless FM headphones which could be used during the daytime if one wanted audio to what was on the screen.  We were on one of the cruises where we got those headphones (they were in every cabin) but for whatever reason Princess very quickly ended this program and then started a program (on all the ship) of blasting sound and video all day long!

Hank

• Like 1

23 hours ago, geoherb said:

The musicians at shows like Encore are there for show like the dancers pretending to sing. They're just playing along with a recorded track. 

Instrumental music for Encore is live. It is the normal Princess orchestra enhanced with a few additional members like an additional percussionist. The singing is also live. Live musicians also back guest entertainers. Instrumental music for shows like Sweet Soul Music is recorded. 

• Like 1

I guess I’m in the minority,  but I like it loud.  Anything that drowns out people’s constant chit chat or kids throwing tantrums during the show is okay with me.    Of course, I have lost some of my hearing, which is probably why it doesn’t seem excessively loud to me,  and I’ve probably lost my hearing due to listening to loud music my whole adult life. LOL

• Like 2

8 hours ago, skynight said:

Instrumental music for Encore is live. It is the normal Princess orchestra enhanced with a few additional members like an additional percussionist. The singing is also live. Live musicians also back guest entertainers. Instrumental music for shows like Sweet Soul Music is recorded. 

They are playing along live--but with a background track. Two violins don't equal the sound of the violin sections of a symphony orchestra. It's the same with the singing. The lead singers are singing live--but they're singing to a background track. The dancers are lip-synching along to the background track. They may be singing along, but their voices are not amplified.