SURPRISE! Your 4-night sailing has a FORMAL NIGHT! (Majestic Princess, December 18-22, 2021)

RSS from SF

---

Pre-cruise printed Travel Summary:

• "Your itinerary includes 0 formal nights and 4 smart casual nights. . . "

Princess Patter for Day 2 (At Sea), Sunday, December 19, 2021:

• "Tonight's dress:  Formal"

P.S.  Yes Guest Services confirms that there really is a formal night. . . .  Yes Guest Services confirms that they really have no idea why. . . .

---

! photo - 4 nts w formal - 20211219_035051 - e1 t1.jpg

• Like 2

Well, with what passes for formal these days, you don't have to worry if you didn't bring what you'd consider formal clothes. 

One of the dressiest nights we've had on a Princess ship was on a 4-day cruise that included New Year's Eve. They billed that night as "dress to impress." Lots of people dressed to the nines that night. We kept it casual and comfortable. 

• Like 2

Seems odd in a couple of ways.  Most who would otherwise bring the "dress-up clothes" would likely not have them.  And why not call it a Dress To Impress night since they are not likely to see the recommended suits, tuxes and gowns.  I would still have a nice pair of pants and a shirt anytime, but also would not be seen on a 4-night voyage unless it was linked to another voyage.  😉

• Like 2

We've never done such a short cruise...and it just does not make sense for us given we live well into the interior of the US.  Airfare to any of the main disembarkation ports is not cheap from our "podunk" airport.  If we were "coasties" then maybe we would do a few when we just had to have that cruising fix!

I think you will be fine your smart casual.  We just did a series of 5 day cruises, and while there were a few who were dressed in tuxes, many were wearing a long sleeve collar shirt with no tie or jacket.  Women were all over the map.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Just a simple mistake.

It'll be no more formal than any other Princess formal night which only requires casual clothing for the DR.

aw yes the tactic of "Carnivalization" of Princess cruises. 

Come on Princess. Get with the times. You don’t need to keep listening formal nights on the agenda. My wife and I have four cruises scheduled; a Princess cruise, an Avalon River cruise, a Viking Ocean cruise and a Celebrity cruise. Princess is the only one that lists formal nights on the agenda. And Princess is the least expensive of these cruises. Are they trying to pretend they are something that they are not? The majority of people just don’t go for formal wear any longer. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Poulsbo Cruisers said:

Come on Princess. Get with the times. You don’t need to keep listening formal nights on the agenda. My wife and I have four cruises scheduled; a Princess cruise, an Avalon River cruise, a Viking Ocean cruise and a Celebrity cruise. Princess is the only one that lists formal nights on the agenda. And Princess is the least expensive of these cruises. Are they trying to pretend they are something that they are not? The majority of people just don’t go for formal wear any longer. 

you seem to have a vast knowledge of what people want  🤨 . ... what am I thinking right now ? 

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Just a simple mistake.

It'll be no more formal than any other Princess formal night which only requires casual clothing for the DR.

---

-- Even though the passengers (and apparently Guest Services) did not know there would be a Formal NIght, there was semblance of pre-coordination involved among other departments.  For example, the day before we received the order form for the elite complimentary canapés; that's when I did a double-take to the Platter to see the Formal Night declaration.

-- No matter.  Even though this is only a 4-night cruise, I am one who wears a sport coat (with coordinating shirt/pants/shoes/pocket square) to the ship on embarkation day regardless of cruise length.  And I always bring a long sleeve dress shirt or very dressy embroidered guayabera-inspired shirt (though no tie for this cruise).

---

Edited by RSS from SF
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Poulsbo Cruisers said:

That you can’t read? I said the “majority” of people. And if that wasn’t true then the other cruise lines wouldn’t have done away with formal nights. 

Wow. Somebody go whiz in your cheerios? Why so grumpy? A bit of a hostile response to the comedy. Oh well, you do you (angry casual guy); we'll do us (dressed to the nines or not, but happy as F, no matter what); everybody wins. What others wear doesn't bother us, but we love being in a ship that has those nights still, whether or not they're mandatory.

Edited by jwattle
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jwattle said:

What others wear doesn't bother us, but we one being in a ship that has those nights still, whether or not they're mandatory.

And that is a very key point.  Princess is offering the situation for people to feel comfortable at anywhere along the spectrum from black-tie to pants&shirt and all should be respected for their choices.  I also think there is general agreement that gym clothes, shorts, runners, ball caps, etc, are not welcome at dinner, but what can you do?  Nothing much as a guest, but it doesn't ruin my vacation experience if there is an odd duck or two that doesn't get with the swim.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jwattle said:

Wow. Somebody go whiz in your cheerios? Why so grumpy? A bit of a hostile response to the comedy. Oh well, you do you (angry casual guy); we'll do us (dressed to the nines or not, but happy as F, no matter what); everybody wins. What others wear doesn't bother us, but we love being in a ship that has those nights still, whether or not they're mandatory.

Hi Jo & Tom,

I totally agree with you. I love to wear my Tux even if it’s only The maître d’ and myself on formal nights.
Tony

71723D3B-688F-4B4D-9D24-1823178058A3.jpeg

• Like 4

Onboard the Majestic right now and was also surprised by the unexpected formal night. The cruise director said that passengers had been requesting it, but that it wasn’t going to be enforced. I had no problem with a dress shirt and dark black jeans. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, jkrislc said:

Onboard the Majestic right now and was also surprised by the unexpected formal night. The cruise director said that passengers had been requesting it, but that it wasn’t going to be enforced. I had no problem with a dress shirt and dark black jeans. 

what ! passengers had been requesting it !  😮  this can't be. I was being led to believe that, "  The majority of people just don’t go for formal wear any longer. "   

i'm shocked shocked i tell you - Claude Raines | Meme Generator

and by the way  that fine looking gentleman in the meme, is Tony .... when he was younger .

Edited by c-boy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Jacket and tie/dark suit/Tuxedo wear is suggested but has not been enforced for a couple of years at least. If Princess is not going to enforce their dress code policy, then get rid of the so called 'Formal Night(s).

lowes.jpg.447029ef1491c5889dbf91084090c17c.jpg

There’s the published Princess guide on the number of formal nights… and then there’s Captain’s “discretion.”

Doesn't happen often but sometimes, the Captain will either add or cancel a formal night. I’ve seen both.

It doesn’t mean Princess has changed their guidelines. 

• Like 3