When ordering drinks delivered to room on Ocean Now app is it necessary to tip when you have Princess Plus? If so how much?

rwilk1129

This is a personal decision.

Is it necessary to tip? No. An 18% gratuity is automatically added to every drink purchase. If you have Princess Plus, it was included in the package.

You may choose to give an additional tip for great service, but you have already tipped. The decision on whether or not to tip more than 18% is up to you.

Note that the 18% gratuity for drinks is not optional. If you don't have Princess Plus or a beverage package, it is automatically added to every drink purchase - and you cannot remove it. This is unlike the tips for dining room personnel. If you don't have it in a package, you can - but definitely should not - remove it.

• Like 3

As others have said, it's not "necessary", but we do, as a courtesy and a small thank you to the person doing the running. I'll usually give a buck or two for a drink or coffee service, or maybe up to $5.00 for a meal (such as breakfast).  I was especially impressed on our recent Sky Princess sailing when we'd order champagne for sail away some nights and it usually arrived in less time than it would have taken me to go and get it from a bar. But, as always, it's up to the passenger's discretion. 

• Like 4

No. It is obvious the person delivering the order is not expecting a tip as they are in and out in the blink of an eye. Possibly because the more orders they deliver means more of their share of the 18%.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, billco said:

No. It is obvious the person delivering the order is not expecting a tip as they are in and out in the blink of an eye. Possibly because the more orders they deliver means more of their share of the 18%.

18% of what ? - each individually priced drink ? - or if included in Princess Plus - the 18% is less than $4 per person per day if figuring the drink package is 'worth' $ 25 pp per day

j/s

As many have said, it is up to your individual choice.

Many in my family have been in the service industry as they worked their way through University. Their tips meant the world to them - and I mean that literally. The extra money helped keep a roof over their heads and food in their bellies.

So to specifically answer your question, we always give a couple of dollars to room service staff.  Those few dollars mean so little to us but add up to so much for them. 

At the end of a cruise, we give additional "monetary gifts" to those who gave us exceptional service. Not because we have to, but because we want to. It makes us feel good. In addition, we have them write down their full names so that we can fill out the cards to hand in while still on on the cruise and we also make sure to mention them on the end of cruise survey.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hllwdcruiser said:

As many have said, it is up to your individual choice.

Many in my family have been in the service industry as they worked their way through University. Their tips meant the world to them - and I mean that literally. The extra money helped keep a roof over their heads and food in their bellies.

So to specifically answer your question, we always give a couple of dollars to room service staff.  Those few dollars mean so little to us but add up to so much for them. 

At the end of a cruise, we give additional "monetary gifts" to those who gave us exceptional service. Not because we have to, but because we want to. It makes us feel good. In addition, we have them write down their full names so that we can fill out the cards to hand in while still on on the cruise and we also make sure to mention them on the end of cruise survey.

Ditto!

On 1/1/2022 at 12:41 PM, Doug R. said:
  On 12/31/2021 at 11:10 PM, kiwimum said:

Absolutely.  If you are to lazy to walk to get your own beverage.

At tip for a complete meal might be in order but we never tip additional for drinks when it's already included.

Most times my husband just runs down & gets my cappuccino & pastry. He needs the exercise anyway. ☺️

Just now, Coffeeluvr05 said:

@Doug R. I'm not sure how you were able to quote a comment that doesn't exist in this thread, but yes, @kiwimum when I am on vacation, there are many times I am too lazy to get my own drink 🤣 and yes, I do keep a supply of cash to tip when we order in our room! 

Magic!!!! 😁Seriously, I believe admin may have deleted the op but not my response.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

With room service, I figure I am tipping the person who delivered the drink or food, not the person who prepared it.  I think of it as the tips that are already included are for the preparation, but not the delivery.  Don't most folks tip a delivery person when ordering take out delivery?  A few bucks here or there is not going to break me, and it might help out someone else.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Cruisen Elf said:

With room service, I figure I am tipping the person who delivered the drink or food, not the person who prepared it.  I think of it as the tips that are already included are for the preparation, but not the delivery.  Don't most folks tip a delivery person when ordering take out delivery?  A few bucks here or there is not going to break me, and it might help out someone else.

Actually the crew who deliver room service are included in the auto gratuities pool now call crew appreciation . Just an FYI. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel

44 minutes ago, Cruisen Elf said:

With room service, I figure I am tipping the person who delivered the drink or food, not the person who prepared it.

You never tipped the chef - they are not in the tip pool.  The auto tips or the service charge on drinks go to the customer facing staff - stewards,  waiters, bar tenders. 

On 1/1/2022 at 8:46 AM, voljeep said:

18% of what ? - each individually priced drink ? - or if included in Princess Plus - the 18% is less than $4 per person per day if figuring the drink package is 'worth' $ 25 pp per day

j/s

very curious how this works now that you mention it.  I never noticed the breakdown of how gratuities were allocated on my princess plus package.  I'm used to buying the old drink package at $60/day or whatever it was which came out to like $72 with $12 allocated to tips.  This was more than reasonable per day.  They certainly came out ahead way more often than not relative to my normal $1/drink.

My most recent and first post covid cruise last month it was my first princess plus cruise.  I actually did still tip for any and all room service, a few dollars each time, but I did not on any normal bar interactions, or even lido deck deliveries. Now I wonder how much the staff get for drink related tips under princess plus and whether I should tweak that next time.

On 12/31/2021 at 9:05 PM, donaldsc said:

A tip of 18% for a well drink or a drink that involves just pouring something out of a can or bottle is a ridiculously large tip.  No additional tip should be given.

DON

Don, you seem to overlook the fact that the bartender/server not only has to do the pour (and perhaps mix something), but has to deliver it to the OP's cabin.  18% is fine for a bartender or cocktail waitress in the lounge of the bar, but for delivery to the cabin, I don't consider it adequate.  [I don't think delivery to the cabin is part of the PBP, but that is what the OP specified.]

We had many deliveries to our cabin, but it wasn't due to laziness.

It had to do with Safety.  We felt more safe maskless in our our cabin, much of the time.

As far as Drink/Food Delivery?  They did NOT step foot in our cabin.

I kept a mask by the Front door, quickly put it on and ALWAYS collected tray from Delivery.

Not necessary for another person to enter our cabin.

As far as additonal tipping?  Sometimes we did and sometimes we didn't.

• Like 2

No, you don't have to tip since tips are included. But we did anyway. 
We kept a stack of $1 and $5 in our cabin for room service. For drinks only $1 each, for burgers, fries, dessert $5. The room service people were so appreciative and I was surprised at how prompt they were. The app works very well once you're on the ship. 

• Like 1

@Mike45LCjust for clarification I’d like to say that the bartenders are not making deliveries. There is a huge dedicated team of crew that make the deliveries and they are included in the auto grats that are part of the Princess plus package. 
Bartenders are not part of the auto grats hence the automatic 18% added to all cocktails, wine and such.