Does the CDC's recently announced cruise warning impact your decision to cruise?

CCAubs

Does the CDC's recently announced cruise warning impact your decision to cruise?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Does the CDC's recently announced cruise warning impact your decision to cruise?

• No, I will continue to cruise as planned.
    • It might. I will use the warning as one factor in determing whether or not to cruise.
    • Yes, I have decided not to cruise in light of the warning.
    • I'm unsure at this time.

I think that the CDC is villainizing the cruise lines this time around. CLIA had it right in their response; the cruise lines have some of, if not THE, best protocols in place currently.

• Like 2

In addition to everything else happening, the CDC warning was like the, not-so-palatable, icing on the cake.       We will continue to hold off cruising.  

Is it the right decision?  I don't know, but it is the decision we are making right now.  I am appreciative of those who continue to share their on-board experiences.  

I worked in the public health industry for over thirty years and always had the utmost respect for both the CDC and FDA.  While I am still pretty comfortable with the FDA, I have lost most confidence in the CDC.  It is not about Republicans or Democrats since my negative feelings about the CDC started under Trump and have continued under Biden.  When several senior CDC folks decided to recently resign (because they had issues with their own agency) there was not much surprise or coverage by the media.  But we are talking about career professionals who walked away because they were disillusioned by their employer.  That is not the norm within the Federal and State bureaucracies where career professionals (such as civil servants) do not easily give up their careers.

The CDC Guidance on COVID has become somewhat of a joke with a "if it's Tuesday what is the policy" attitude.  And it is not just about constantly changing guidelines (apparently not always based on science) but also on the agencies move away from providing decent statistics based on real testing.  In the past few weeks we have been told that 72% of US COVID cases were Omicron only to have that revised to less than 25% of cases being Omicron to then hear today that over 90% is Omicron!  So what is it?  Darned if I or anyone else knows and I also must doubt that the CDC knows since they have not done enough sequencing tests to have decent numbers.  They are obviously relying on guessing and interpolation rather than actual testing (this is not the same as the normal COVID PCR/Antigen testing).

I am a "statistic nut" having spend enough years in the industry to feel comfortable looking at empirical data and drawing my own conclusions.  These days I find myself looking towards Israel, South Africa and the UK to get information because what is released by my own government is just not reliable.  In over forty years of dealing with health data that has never been the case....until now.

Hank

Hank

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I've got over 30 years of operating room experience. I've always trusted the CDC. . .up until now. I understand the information coming in is a real-time science project, but the last set of recommendations was as clear as the Mississippi River. Do I mask? Do I go to work if I am exposed or do I stay home? What if I'm asymptomatic? Do I test, when, and how many times?  It's just crazy now.

Will I still cruise? Yes. Our next cruise isn't until August 2022, but we are planning on going. Will I mask--absolutely. A) I have chronic lung disease. B) I don't trust people anymore. C) I'd rather wear a mask on vacation that at work.

My state's positivity rate today was 31.8%. I'm hanging closer to home and saving the last mask of the day to wear home and any quick errands I have to make on the way home.

• Like 3

No - my decision is to defer cruising until there can be cruising under acceptable conditions:  no extreme protocols, no testing (subject to last minute modifications as authorities adjust their responses to conditions), no high likelihood of itinerary modifications, no risk of quarantine (aboard ship or in port or upon debarkation) no restricted entertainment, etc., etc., etc.  But perhaps as important -- I am not interested in getting on a ship largely occupied by cruising fanatics - who are so desperate to cruise that they will ignore the above reasons why intelligent people will wait until conditions improve,

One's fellow passengers have a part in determining the likelihood of having an enjoyable cruise -- and I have no desire to board a "ship of fools" - which term I believe appropriately describes the majority of today's sailings.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

One's fellow passengers have a part in determining the likelihood of having an enjoyable cruise -- and I have no desire to board a "ship of fools" - which term I believe appropriately describes the majority of today's sailings.

One person currently on the Divina mentioned the large number of passengers in isolation or quarantine waving from their cabins as they returned to ship on a port stop. These passengers embarked just at the beginning of the a omicron wave.I bet most of them wish they had a crystal ball.

Used to have much respect for the US CDC, but have been increasingly disappointed in their COVID response. Don't even pay any attention to their decisions.

My preferred cruise line requires standards much higher than the US CDC, with daily non-invasive PCR test that are processed by an onboard lab. Once I get to the ship, frankly I consider we will be safer on board than at home.

In my opinion, the biggest current deterrant to cruising is flying to the embarkation port. 

The baseline for life isn't what the TV, news, government, tik tok, etc says. Some people need (or think they need) someone to watch over them. Most of us don't.

COVID hasn't proved to be a larger risk on cruises than anywhere else. If anything, they have shown how they have mitigated it better than many other industries. COVID is a virus, if it spreads there, it spreads at home.

I'm going to go out and enjoy myself no matter what. Are you going to tell me going to an indoor bar in the cold weather here is better than me sitting on the lido deck in 80 degrees?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jwattle said:

I think that the CDC is villainizing the cruise lines this time around. CLIA had it right in their response; the cruise lines have some of, if not THE, best protocols in place currently.

While I'm not saying the CDC has it right, I think that trusting an organization that is the paid mouth-piece and lobbying arm for the cruise industry would be pretty low on my list.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

No - my decision is to defer cruising until there can be cruising under acceptable conditions:  no extreme protocols, no testing (subject to last minute modifications as authorities adjust their responses to conditions), no high likelihood of itinerary modifications, no risk of quarantine (aboard ship or in port or upon debarkation) no restricted entertainment, etc., etc., etc.  But perhaps as important -- I am not interested in getting on a ship largely occupied by cruising fanatics - who are so desperate to cruise that they will ignore the above reasons why intelligent people will wait until conditions improve,

I would add to that we are deferring cruising until the pandemic is basically under control. Normally, we would be looking for something big for this summer for our 45th anniversay. (We had our first cruise on our 25th anniversary.) We do have a cruise booked, and in fact will be on it during our anniversary, but our 46th, not 45th. And we are just hopeful for that one and glad the deposit is refundable.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I no longer feel the CDC messages are accurate or believable in many situations, and certainly not for cruises.  I feel safe cruising, probably more so than shopping, etc.

We probably won't cruise for a while, though not in respoonse to the CDC warning, but because we don't want to possibly be quarantined on board or miss many ports and be required to wear masks at all times.

We did a 12 day Nov. 28th with Celebrity and enjoyed it greatly, with only a few negatives due to wearing masks in ports or needing to take cruise ship tours (we only did one).  But enhanced restrictions just make cruising less enjoyable, for us.  We'll wait a few months.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

While I'm not saying the CDC has it right, I think that trusting an organization that is the paid mouth-piece and lobbying arm for the cruise industry would be pretty low on my list.

I'm not saying that I trust CLIA; I'm saying that I agree with their response to the CDC's statement in this instance , in particular, this point:

"Cruise ships offer a highly controlled environment with science-backed measures, known testing and vaccination levels far above other venues or modes of transportation and travel, and significantly lower incidence rates than land."

41 minutes ago, jwattle said:

I'm not saying that I trust CLIA; I'm saying that I agree with their response to the CDC's statement in this instance , in particular, this point:

"Cruise ships offer a highly controlled environment with science-backed measures, known testing and vaccination levels far above other venues or modes of transportation and travel, and significantly lower incidence rates than land."

Given the short duration of most cruises and the lack of any follow testing of all pax I’m doubtful about the accuracy of CLIA’s statement about the incidence rates.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, jwattle said:

I like the policies especially for vaccinations and testing.   Sadly, I've read many reports here that the masking rules are not enforced.   I also question the real meaning of "significantly lower incidence rates than land".  I suspect it is based on a carefully selective comparison that favors the industry.   

One very good point made in this thread is that on a cruise ship you know that you are among a 100% vaccinated population.   

5 minutes ago, ldubs said:

One very good point made in this thread is that on a cruise ship you know that you are among a 100% vaccinated population.

As far as I can tell, though, cruise lines are not verifying vaccination status. Just making sure everyone who boards has a card that passes a visual test. Whether they are all authentic is anyone's guess. (And mine would be that they are not.)

• Like 1

No - I set my return to cruising date as end of April this year and plan on keeping that if I can.   The news I read suggests that the Omicron wave will be well over by then.  I remain hopeful that the cruise will go as planned and that the experience on board will be reasonable.   

I think the cruises are in for a rough spot right now as case levels are going through the roof.  We can expect more cancellations as the lines have trouble staffing the ships.  I understand RCCL is using ships to quarantine their own staff that is sick.  Here is a link:

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2022/01/articles/disease/vision-of-the-seas-and-rhapsody-of-the-seas-royal-caribbeans-plague-ships/

9 hours ago, Joebucks said:

The baseline for life isn't what the TV, news, government, tik tok, etc says. Some people need (or think they need) someone to watch over them. Most of us don't.

"Most of us..."  sure do need someone to watch over us - at least part of the time.  Public health services, pharma companies, medical insurance providers, etc.  all do contribute to avoiding illness and/or treating illnesses not avoided.   Of course, human error comes in from time to time-- but many of us are here because of guidance, input, and sometimes even control from the "grown-ups".

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

"Most of us..."  sure do need someone to watch over us - at least part of the time.  Public health services, pharma companies, medical insurance providers, etc.  all do contribute to avoiding illness and/or treating illnesses not avoided.   Of course, human error comes in from time to time-- but many of us are here because of guidance, input, and sometimes even control from the "grown-ups".

Let's not forget the one who watches over us the most, our wives, or in some cases husbands.

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

As far as I can tell, though, cruise lines are not verifying vaccination status. Just making sure everyone who boards has a card that passes a visual test. Whether they are all authentic is anyone's guess. (And mine would be that they are not.)

There will always be individual misconduct of one kind or another.   I have no way of knowing for certain, but want to think the fakes would represent a pretty small number.  I hope they throw the book at the ones who get caught.

Not a cruise, but there was that person who got caught with a fake card because she misspelled Moderna.