Packing limits? Can I bring with me gear such as SCUBA, bicycle, rock climbing, kayak?

pdmlynek

I am typically a light packer (I travel only with a 30L carryon), and am amazed how much baggage people take with them on cruises.  According to the cruise lines and many posters, there really are no practical limits to the amount of stuff you can bring on board if you keep it in your cabin.  

But I wonder if I can take more bulky items with me aside from a suitcase.  Can I take with me, for example, SCUBA gear, a bicycle, rock climbing gear, a kayak, a surfboard, skis, or like?  The goal is for me to use such items at ports of call, and not on board.

Obviously, I wouldn't bring anything that is on the list of forbidden items.  And obviously, I would clean the gear from an excursion so that it does not drip throughout the ship.  

N.B.: Sorry to ask a stupid question, but I'd rather appear foolish here than on the cruise.  I'll be traveling in the Greek Islands on NCL for a week this summer.

Thank you!

Edited by pdmlynek

I'm afraid you'll want to get the Okey dokey (in writing) ahead of time from your cruiseline. They may or may not have a problem with some of your gear. And how you would manage to get a Kayak down a narrow hallway and into your cabin is beyond me.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, pdmlynek said:

N.B.: Sorry to ask a stupid question, but I'd rather appear foolish here than on the cruise. 

Was it you that asked the question last week on if you could jump off the ship and swim to shore instead of waiting for the tender boat?  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Okay, I will play along.

Since I have seen a pair of folding bikes being brought onto an Alaska bound cruise ship, I will say yes to that, as well if the surf board was a smaller boogie board.

Scuba gear -no because it could be potentially filled with dangerous gases.

Rock climbing equipment - no because it could pose a tactical  danger to ship and those on board

Kayak - no, because it would not fit thru the security screening machine

Skis - maybe, but probably not ski poles (could be weaponized)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

maybe one of the inflatable kayaks folding bike probably as long as you can store it in your cabin 

I would check with the cruise line  & if flying  check the airlines

2 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Okay, I will play along.

Since I have seen a pair of folding bikes being brought onto an Alaska bound cruise ship, I will say yes to that, as well if the surf board was a smaller boogie board.

Rock climbing equipment - no because it could pose a tactical  danger to ship and those on board

Snow skis on a greek isle cruise?  😀  Maybe he meant water skis.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, pdmlynek said:

I am typically a light packer (I travel only with a 30L carryon), and am amazed how much baggage people take with them on cruises.  According to the cruise lines and many posters, there really are no practical limits to the amount of stuff you can bring on board if you keep it in your cabin.  

But I wonder if I can take more bulky items with me aside from a suitcase.  Can I take with me, for example, SCUBA gear, a bicycle, rock climbing gear, a kayak, a surfboard, skis, or like?  The goal is for me to use such items at ports of call, and not on board.

Obviously, I wouldn't bring anything that is on the list of forbidden items.  And obviously, I would clean the gear from an excursion so that it does not drip throughout the ship.  

N.B.: Sorry to ask a stupid question, but I'd rather appear foolish here than on the cruise.  I'll be traveling in the Greek Islands on NCL for a week this summer.

Thank you!

I think a kayak would be great for some of the island stops.  But I think you are going to run into problems trying to take some of that stuff on board.   Instead of lugging your own stuff, maybe check into renting equipment at the various ports.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pdmlynek said:

Thank you!

Are you kidding?  A bicycle, a kayak, surfboard, skis -- why the hell don't you bring a motorcycle - that would speed you on the way to surfing sites when you pull your surfboard on its trailer? 

I do not think taxis on Santorini, Delos, Rhodes, Crete or Mykonos are large enough to carry surfboards, and there are very, very few surfing coves within walking distance of cruise ports.

5 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Was it you that asked the question last week on if you could jump off the ship and swim to shore instead of waiting for the tender boat?  😉

Yes, I am.  Look, I've seen plenty of videos online how people behave on cruises.  I am just trying figure out what is an is not acceptable.  I've been on one cruise, to Alaska, but I still consider myself a newbie.

if you look at my posting history, you'll note that I am not some sort of an idiot or a troll.  My questions are genuine.

5 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

You're joking, right? Maybe a land vacation is more your speed.

Well, in my case, I will be going flying to Greece, so it may be academic, but if I were to cruise from somewhere close to my home, and I'd drive to the embarkation point, I'd be willing to take some gear like a bike, kayak, etc. to explore the islands.

My point is that many of the Caribbean or Greek Islands are too big to explore on foot and too small to rent a car for, but a bicycle would be perfect.  My GF (now my wife) took our mountain bikes to Kauai for a week, and we had a great time.  

4 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Okay, I will play along.

Wow, thanks for a wonderful answer.  I appreciate it.  

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Snow skis on a greek isle cruise?  😀  Maybe he meant water skis.  

My question was meant to be a more general question, so that it pertains to other newbies, not just specific to my trip.  

22 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Are you kidding?  A bicycle, a kayak, surfboard, skis -- why the hell don't you bring a motorcycle - that would speed you on the way to surfing sites when you pull your surfboard on its trailer? 

I do not think taxis on Santorini, Delos, Rhodes, Crete or Mykonos are large enough to carry surfboards, and there are very, very few surfing coves within walking distance of cruise ports.

Obviously, I would not take a surfboard onto a cruise in the Mediterranean.  My question was meant to be a more of a general question, so that it may be of interest to other newbies, not just limited to my specific trip. 

1 hour ago, pdmlynek said:

My question was meant to be a more general question, so that it pertains to other newbies, not just specific to my trip.  

I know, and sorry.  My comment was supposed to be good natured tongue-in-cheek.  Sadly, I'm frequently the only one who laughs at my jokes!  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, pdmlynek said:

if you look at my posting history, you'll note that I am not some sort of an idiot or a troll.  My questions are genuine.

If that is in fact the case,  then perhaps a judicious application of thought towards common sense and practicality might give you some indication of an answer.

Where would one go skiing, or rock climbing on an ocean cruise? Especially within the time constraints of the average port stop? Forget the banning of any equipment that could be weaponized  like ski poles or crampons /axes? 

Why would you even bother with bikes, surfboards, and kayaks when you can easily rent these in any port where their use would be practical? Instead of lugging them around at the port and having your cabin crammed with them for an entire cruise? You say you've been on a cruise ship before.  Try to remember what the hallways  and your cabin looked like.  Now picture yourself hauling said equipment in and out of your room, with guests, crew, and carts in your way.

Snorkel equipment is fine (leave the knives and speargun at home). A bike would likely be allowed with prior arrangement, if you have a reason to believe that a rental bike would be insufficient for your needs.  I can't imagine having 2 bikes taking up space in an average cabin, but perhaps you have an upper suite in mind.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ldubs said:

Instead of lugging your own stuff, maybe check into renting equipment at the various ports.  

Excellent suggestion.  We have rented bikes, e-bikes, and kayaks on various cruises.  I can't imagine lugging any of those on-board and then storing them in the average size (i.e., small) cabin. Nor can I imagine disembarking and reboarding with them in tender ports.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Actually, the more I think of it the more appealing it would be in many ports to have one of these high tech electric bikes.  But I'll rent instead of brining my own.  

BTW, surf boards typically go on the roof of small cars.  Just bring some cordage and you will be good.   

Some of your questions are absurd but are less so.  With regard to bicycles, some lines forbid bicycles of any type including folding ones probably because some fool  probably decided to ride his bicycle around the ship.  I can't see what could be wrong w a folding bike but you will have to check w the cruise line you are going on. 

Regarding kayaks, there are folding or inflatable kayaks that you might be able to bring (I own a Folbot folding kayak but it would be a total pain to try to use it as you would have to get it dry and put it into its bag at every port.

DON

Well, carnival, for example, bans diver gear, surfboards, and kayaks.

norweian anc celebrity on the other hand don’t ban anything on your list. Dive gear and rock climbing gear are less of an issue.  But if you have ever carried a kayak or bike then you know how difficult it would be to carry them through a crowded indoor space. To me that and storing in your cabin would be the biggest hindrance. 

We have to fly to cruise so it’s never really occurred to me to pack more than an ordinary checked bag. The hassle of bringing such items into the airport, and paying extra fees, and getting them into a taxi, and getting on and off the ship with them; far outweigh the usefulness.

'Was it you that asked the question last week on if you could jump off the ship and swim to shore instead of waiting for the tender boat?'

Is it me or did that thread mysteriously disappear from the forum? 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, pdmlynek said:

Hi

So, if your question was indeed seriously trying to get specific information, then I would direct you to the website of whichever cruise line you are considering. They all pretty much have a page stating what you are "not allowed" to bring on board. If it not listed there, then it would be permitted. Bring a copy of the list with you at boarding, just in case someone at the terminal is unsure.

13 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

... why the hell don't you bring a motorcycle - that would speed you on the way to surfing sites when you pull your surfboard on its trailer? 

Well while I completely understand your sentiments, there is one ship Captain in particular on RCCL that (at least in the past) has his motorcycle on board with him.  Have actually been on board with him and his bike.  I understand that his is a rather unique and specific circumstance, but it does certainly press the limits of what can be brought on board........😉

Here's a couple of older links including a previous CC thread describing this:

https://www.beyondships2.com/allure-of-the-seas-captain-interview.html

https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/topic/1330797-captain-johnnys-motorbike/

"With regard to bicycles, some lines forbid bicycles of any type including folding ones probably because some fool  probably decided to ride his bicycle around the ship."

When I worked on oil tankers, some time and motion guru decided that as the ships were getting quite large .. wouldn't it be better to supply bicycles to get around on during loading and discharging ops.

Great idea thought the bean counters ... who promptly supplied a load of bikes ... each fitted with a front wheel dynamo light. Boom Boom !!! Literally. 

Scuba gear -no because it could be potentially filled with dangerous gases

actually I've taken SCUBA gear on many cruises with no problems. Like 'most' traveling divers we did not try to carry our weights or tanks ..... too heavy. But mask/fins/snorkel, safety vest (BC), regulators/computers and wet suits ..... yep a roo,

Problem quickly becomes storage space on most cruises .... and where to dry a  wet wet suit and BC. Balcony is technically a no - no.

There was a time when WINDSTAR really catered to divers on their Carib' cruises. Had special storage areas for gear ... drying racks etc .... diving daily from their RIBs .... tanks on board with a compressor . . . 

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 1