Jewel OTS Suite vs Wonder OTS Balcony- which do you choose?

blueskadoo

Hello everyone. I'm on a time crunch and have what I think is a pretty tough decision in front of me. We can choose a regular balcony room on Wonder with ports that are fine, but nothing exciting for a 7 night cruise. OR we can do Jewel in an Owner's Suite for an 8 night. Now, in my mind, you're having a big trade off going from one of the newest, to one of the oldest. But then...it's a suite. So...I'm so torn. Making things extra tough is that my hubs is 100% all about the ship, I really love the ports for Jewel (ABC islands) and our kiddo is just happy to travel (she's got the best idea of us all, lol). So...what would you do, experienced RC cruisers?

Something I couldn't determine, does Jewel have the free water/sodas/juice during the day? Or only during the few hours of the night? That might sway hubs if we go Jewel! lol

We like suites and the ABC islands.  We would go on the Jewel.  Have you already been on an Oasis class ship?  Do the added specialty restaurants (Hooked and Mason Jar) seem appealing?  Would your child enjoy the activities that are on Wonder and not Jewel?  I believe that only Oasis class has free daytime drinks.  On Mariner, the Suite lounge had snacks all day and pitchers of water.  The free dinks were only at night.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

We like suites and the ABC islands.  We would go on the Jewel.  Have you already been on an Oasis class ship?  Do the added specialty restaurants (Hooked and Mason Jar) seem appealing?  Would your child enjoy the activities that are on Wonder and not Jewel?  I believe that only Oasis class has free daytime drinks.  On Mariner, the Suite lounge had snacks all day and pitchers of water.  The free dinks were only at night.  

We've never done an Oasis class. In fact, the only Royal ship I've ever been on is Mariner, and it was in a Grand Suite, about 7 years ago. Kiddo has only been on Carnival Sunshine when she was much younger, but as a 12 year old, she's too cool for just about everything lately so I'm not sure what would appeal to her. I would hate for Jewel to be stuffy, because if there's a fun atmosphere, she's more likely to let her guard down and enjoy herself. It will be over thanksgiving, so I have to assume there'll be kids galore.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blueskadoo said:

We've never done an Oasis class. In fact, the only Royal ship I've ever been on is Mariner, and it was in a Grand Suite, about 7 years ago. Kiddo has only been on Carnival Sunshine when she was much younger, but as a 12 year old, she's too cool for just about everything lately so I'm not sure what would appeal to her. I would hate for Jewel to be stuffy, because if there's a fun atmosphere, she's more likely to let her guard down and enjoy herself. It will be over thanksgiving, so I have to assume there'll be kids galore.

Hmmm, I might consider Wonder if you've never been on Oasis class.  There is so much to do and see.  Jewel doesn't have all the bells and whistles to keep tweens occupied.  If you are sailing over Thanksgiving, then there should be enough kids to hang out with though.  It is a cruise after all, so there really isn't a wrong choice!   

I’m going to answer on the assumption that you will continue cruising and can do Oasis class in the future.  If you do not think that is true, ignore my post.

For this Thanksgiving cruise, I’d select Jewel.  As it is a holiday cruise, there should be enough other kids and activities for your child.  The GS is a nice touch on a full ship; hubby will likely appreciate the respite from a busy ship.  The itinerary will be fun for all.  For many people (especially with teens) it is easier to move from a small ship to a big ship than the other direction.  Sail that itinerary you crave now while you can.  

Plan an Oasis class cruise in the future.  The ships in that class are really rather similar, so it does not have to be the newest one (unless you want it to be).  There are so many opportunities to sail that class, you will easily find another suitable opportunity.  Generally, this class does not sail as interesting of itineraries as the ships are so large; they can only enter certain ports.  

• Like 2

If the cabin is a big deal to you and the fam, go w/ it.  If it's not, go w/ the Wonder.  We're not in our cabin much (or we'd stay home)....Much as we enjoy a GS/CL/etc, an interior/ov/ob are adequate as well.

Edited by bucfan2

6 hours ago, blueskadoo said:

Wonder has a lot more for a 12 year old to do and there will be many kids on that ship on a holiday week cruise.  Jewel has a kiddie pool and a slide that your 12 yr old will likely not care for as it is for little kids.  If your husband is all about the ship, I would definitely pick Wonder as Jewel is a nice ship but has a lot less entertainment and food options compared to Wonder.  Jewel has a much better itinerary though.  

I would have the family look at what each ship has to offer and then decide.

Have you considered the Odyssey?? We are on her over Thanksgiving for a 8 day. Quantum class which is inbetween Jewel and Wonder size wise...but would definitely have more bells and whistles for your kids and might satisfy your husband for a newer (just over a year old) and larger ship...plus gives you pretty much same itinerary as Jewel.

• Like 1

We're currently on Jewel and having a good time but would make a couple of points which may be worth knowing :

All the suites are under the pool deck/windjammer so you run the risk of noise early morning from sun loungers being dragged around or rolling carts stocking up the windjammer stations. Also - apart from the Concierge lounge - there are no real additional suite benefits eg dedicated pool area

There is way more to do and to entertain you on Odyssey. As someone pointed out the kids pool area is really for younger kids on Jewel. 

With a 12 year old and a husband who's all about the ship I would definitely go for Wonder

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

We are on the Jewel March 17.

I love the Jewel and her 3 sisters!  🥰

Have Serenade booked for Dec., Jewel in January and then March, plus Serenade again for a couple of quite a bit longer trips in mid Dec 2023.  😉 

• Like 2

Oops just realised my post #20 said Odyssey when I meant Wonder

Another thing to bear in mind is that a lot of people who sing the praises of the older smaller ships are probably a different demographic to those like yourself who, with a 12 year old, are presumably much younger and would appreciate all that the bigger ships have to offer.

• Like 1

It really comes down to ship vs ports/room, which is a personal preference.

How old is you child?  There may be better shows and things to do on Wonder, unless she is an adult and the slides, etc aren't important.

For me, it would be Wonder if with our kids but would consider Jewel if just DH and I (never tried that class but would be interested).  We're not ones to spend time in our room so that's a lower priority, but I know it's a big factor for some.

Let us know what you decide.  Can't go wrong with either.