New Crystal - the Good, the Bad and the Indifferent

claudiaYVR

7 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

As long as it wasn't that brand from Texas that, ahem, resulted in a few fatalities on land.

Crystal cruisers would only be so lucky to have Blue Bell on board!! If you had ever tasted the Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla, you'd know I'm right!

Patty

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 4/1/2023 at 8:59 AM, Texas Tillie said:

Crystal cruisers would only be so lucky to have Blue Bell on board!! If you had ever tasted the Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla, you'd know I'm right!

Patty

"Blue Bell ice cream, it's to die for!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/1/2023 at 12:15 AM, KenzSailing said:

As long as it wasn't that brand from Texas that, ahem, resulted in a few fatalities on land.

Blue Bell.  We are Texans and no longer buy Blue Bell.  I can't believe anyone does.  They knew they had issues--and sold the ice cream anyway.  

1 hour ago, ctjon said:

why make your own when there are so many great brands out there - especially Ben & Jerry

Somewhere very recently,  maybe on Cruise Critic or Crystal Society Facebook page, I read the good news that Ben & Jerry’s ice cream will be available on Crystal.  

3 hours ago, HUNKY said:

Ben & Jerry's just like on Royal Caribbean.

I'd imagine Crystal makes their own ice cream and or gelato.

I can 100% guarantee to you that I’ve eaten Ben & Jerry’s numerous times on Crystal, AND the web site now tells us that’s the brand they’re planning to serve us at Scoops.

I believe Royal has severed its relationship with Ben & Jerry’s. Mr B and I had the distinct pleasure of cruising in one of the Ben & Jerry’s Sweets (one per ship on the Freedom Class, with access to the suite lounge, plus one serving of B & Jo’s pp each day. And all the kitschy decor. And the cows’ derrières outside our window. Loved it! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, bitob said:

Surprised the new Italian owner is not bringing on authentic gelato. 

the gelato on Silversea is as good as anything in Italy 

I think I remember gelato in Prego. They certainly used gelato in the affogato. How would you know the new owner isn't bringing on any gelato? Did I miss something in the PR releases?

Edited by suzeluvscruz
  • Like 2

Somebody posted that the ice cream place would again have Ben and Jerry’s 

I wasn’t referring to the availability of gelato in a restaurant. I was referring to the silversea ice cream place being a gelato place. 

13 hours ago, bitob said:

Surprised the new Italian owner is not bringing on authentic gelato. 

the gelato on Silversea is as good as anything in Italy 

Just asked my dining companion his opinion having just spent 22 days on SS. Reply: it doesn’t even pass for ice cream, let alone an Italian gelato. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, TER777 said:

Just asked my dining companion his opinion having just spent 22 days on SS. Reply: it doesn’t even pass for ice cream, let alone an Italian gelato. 

Completely disagree 

I spent a month in tuscany and went to cooking school in italy 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, TER777 said:

Agree. Tried it once and decided there was no way I'd want to waste calories on it. Think that must be another Royal Caribbean cost cutting. 

Patty

• Like 2

On 3/31/2023 at 4:07 AM, bitob said:

That is why they are calling people to encourage them to book.

That is why they suddenly made the offer to help those who lost money recoup it over 5 cruises -- significantly, they waited to make the offer when they were obligated to do nothing.  I and others in the industry believe it was made in response to less than expected bookings.  No one I know who lost money is jumping on the offer.

Personally, I do not think they are off to a good start.  Maybe the product will be so good that reports (from objective cruisers) will induce people to book.

I will try a one week in 2024  -  instead of my annual "cheap " cruise  on mass market 

I will endure the "single" cabin  for 7 days  and if the product is bad  then we do know it 

On 2/17/2023 at 1:00 AM, suzeluvscruz said:

3 are great, no experience with 1. Good news.

1 is not good at all IMHO    ... you have to be there for all the pax not only for the PH  

save you all the other details but previously tried to avoid the person when booking

So once again we talk about ice cream on Crystal and the discussion turns to SS. If I want to learn about SS Gelato or Ice Cream I know where to go.

It reminds me of grade school. My basketball  which is Spaulding is better than yours. Oh no, my basketball is a Wilson and it is better than yours.

Yes once in awhile comparisons are nice but maybe it's me but I prefer on the Crystal board heading about Crystal and not the continual posts about other lines unless it is truly relevant to the conversation such as if someone asked are there other cruise lines that offer Ben & Jerry's or do other lines make their own ice cream?

And yes I know this is CC but at the same time I know this is the Crystal Board.

Keith

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

And yes I know this is CC but at the same time I know this is the Crystal Board.

Wow - another cruise line got a mention and people had differing views about a particular product, some liked it and some didn’t 

Nothing new here 

If you don’t like the way a discussion is gong then why not just use the Report function and let the hosts decide on the appropriateness of it - or just scroll on past it…

Telling others how you expect them to act on an internet discussion group is unlikely to drive the change you seem to crave 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Wow - another cruise line got a mention and people had differing views about a particular product, some liked it and some didn’t 

Nothing new here 

If you don’t like the way a discussion is gong then why not just use the Report function and let the hosts decide on the appropriateness of it - or just scroll on past it…

Telling others how you expect them to act on an internet discussion group is unlikely to drive the change you seem to crave 

Just giving my opinion on this.  If it's OK for others to switch discussions to other lines I certainly have the ability to give my opinion too.

And certainly there is an opportunity to compare lines by starting a thread on the very subject.  All it take is clicking on the button that says start a new topic.

Keith

3 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Nothing new here 

Unlikely is an understatement.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

So once again we talk about ice cream on Crystal and the discussion turns to SS. If I want to learn about SS Gelato or Ice Cream I know where to go.

It reminds me of grade school. My basketball  which is Spaulding is better than yours. Oh no, my basketball is a Wilson and it is better than yours.

Yes once in awhile comparisons are nice but maybe it's me but I prefer on the Crystal board heading about Crystal and not the continual posts about other lines unless it is truly relevant to the conversation such as if someone asked are there other cruise lines that offer Ben & Jerry's or do other lines make their own ice cream?

Keith

Personally, I think the Crystal vs (insert other cruise line name here) posts are helpful, and I like reading them from posters about whom I have some idea of their POV, as opposed to folks I don't know at all on other cruise line boards.  They've been useful to me in making rather pricey decisions about other lines.  So I think they're completely fair game to post here.  

Besides, one can easily scroll past them.  I do that with any discussion of luggage.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Nothing new here 

Of course a cruise line isn't really a cruise line until it sails. 

We await the outcome and decide accordingly.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1