Carrying medications overseas without the original bottle

PTCruizer

Going to South America this week and would prefer not to lug around all the pill bottles. I would like to know if anyone has any real life experience with bringing your medications overseas in a pill organizer. I'm looking for actual experiences, not hypotheses, rumors and certainly not opinions. I know what I have read on the web but I would like to hear from someone who actually had a problem, or no problem, with this. Between my wife and I, we have 13 bottles of prescriptions.  Some of them rather large. All maintenance drugs, no narcotics, and nothing I consider controversial. I know that different countries have different opinions though. So, if anyone can share an actual story of being stopped, questioned or detained, I would greatly appreciate hearing about it. Thanks.

1 minute ago, PTCruizer said:

Going to South America this week and would prefer not to lug around all the pill bottles. I would like to know if anyone has any real life experience with bringing your medications overseas in a pill organizer. I'm looking for actual experiences, not hypotheses, rumors and certainly not opinions. I know what I have read on the web but I would like to hear from someone who actually had a problem, or no problem, with this. Between my wife and I, we have 13 bottles of prescriptions.  Some of them rather large. All maintenance drugs, no narcotics, and nothing I consider controversial. I know that different countries have different opinions though. So, if anyone can share an actual story of being stopped, questioned or detained, I would greatly appreciate hearing about it. Thanks.

We too don't want to carry all the traveling meds but want to avoid trouble. 

We have it in a carry on to clear right away. They on in a pill organizer plus a few in original bottles. Never had a problem with drugs. Took extra in case of pills in organizer are affected.

Enjoy your sailing.

LOTS of discussion on this, including several at Disabled Cruising section of CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2915441-medication-airport-security-cruise-security-checks/page/3/#comment-64950437

And a few posts below yours just now, this one:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2915441-medication-airport-security-cruise-security-checks/page/3/#comment-64950437

You'll find at least two schools of *strong* thought!

(Our opinion is not to take risks when crossing international borders, and with only a bit of effort to make the reusable mini ziploks with proper Rx labels, it's not a burden at all.)

GC

In general “Prescription medications should be in their original containers with the doctor's prescription printed on the container. ” - might vary from country to country - not knowing which country it’s Impossible to answer your question

Just entered and reentered Australia - also entered New Zealand. Both of these countries are extremely vigilant about what you’ve got and where you’ve been. On their declaration forms you have to check Yes for medications/drugs and the usual practice is that you’ll be sent to the line for possible inspection.

We’ve done this on multiple cruises and always have only needed to say that we possess OTC and Rx medications (which are in month long daily pill holders). Of course, we also carry a printout list of our Rx meds with details often including pictures of the medication. Our CVS pharmacy also has an app and I can call up the details for each med that way too. But, no one has ever asked us to see that info.

If we had Rx narcotics or meds banned in the country we are entering, we would leave them in the original container.

That said, however, “keeping meds in original containers” makes zero sense because once the container is opened you could put anything in it that fits. CBP and similar authorities know this. So the bona fide pharmacy printout is the way to go. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, PTCruizer said:

We went from Fla to South America in 2010.I carried all of my pills in a large pillbox with absolutely no problems.

For the last 30 years of cruises and traveling independently through multiple countries and entrance inspections I have only brought my plastic pill organizer.  Not once has anyone anywhere challenged me. I can't imagine that any cruise line would hassle you.  I do take a list of my medications and dosages in the remote case I should ever need to purchase more when abroad.  

• Like 1

I always take the pill bottles**. Mrs Ldubs never takes the pill bottles. She uses the pill organizer things instead.   I have been questioned once.  She has never been questioned.   Neither of us was questioned on our South America trip.  

** Because I just toss them in my backpack.  I'm too lazy to sort them out.   

Edited by ldubs

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If we had Rx narcotics or meds banned in the country we are entering, we would leave them in the original container.

I hope you mean "If we had Rx narcotics or meds CONTROLLED in the country we are entering,,," 

and not "banned"...!?

And occasionally, there might be OTC meds in one's home country that are controlled or even completely banned in another country.  If it is *banned*, we do not bring it along, full stop. (In certain countries, there can be severe penalties IF the border agents notice and wish to continue the inspection/procedure.😱)

When there are any controls at all, we always go through the process of getting the proper approvals, etc.

That's quick these days, usually less than 24 hour turnaround with email and uploaded docs.

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

That said, however, “keeping meds in original containers” makes zero sense because once the container is opened you could put anything in it that fits. CBP and similar authorities know this. So the bona fide pharmacy printout is the way to go. 

Yes, this has always seems odd.  Nowadays, IF the agents were to get especially "curious", with the internet, they could probably quickly find what the med "really is".  (Some fakes aren't all that well done, so that would be a tell even if the markings supposedly matched.)

Nevertheless, with this type of issue, we don't care to take risks, and there is no need to do so.  All of our controlled substances (and some that aren't controlled at all here in the USA) were easily approved, albeit a few times with an extra agency involved.  It was still *very* fast.

GC

Do all of the different countries in South America have the same rules and regulations regarding  drugs ( prescription and OTC)? I'm not sure there are many CCers who have visited every country and can state with certainty what the current laws are.

We prefer not to gamble with what we might be able to get away with. Instead we have our pharmacist provide small bottles that are properly labeled. Some pharmacies can do the same with zip lock bags or blister packs.

While not in South America, I've been questioned on 2 different occasions; the second time because one of my medications was tightly regulated in that country. Because my meds were properly identified and in the second case had the correct documentation,  there was no proble,m.

Edited by mom says

1 hour ago, mom says said:

Do all of the different countries in South America have the same rules and regulations regarding  drugs ( prescription and OTC)? I'm not sure there are many CCers who have visited every country and can state with certainty what the current laws are.

We prefer not to gamble with what we might be able to get away with. Instead we have our pharmacist provide small bottles that are properly labeled. Some pharmacies can do the same with zip lock bags or blister packs.

While not in South America, I've been questioned on 2 different occasions; the second time because one of my medications was tightly regulated in that country. Because my meds were properly identified and in the second case had the correct documentation,  there was no proble,m.

I would *NOT* rely upon the individual (or collective) knowledge of CCers in terms of what each country's drug restrictions/rules/laws/etc., are.

Even IF there were perfect initial comprehension and then memory (!?), things could easily change.  The "drug environment" in general keeps changing, from "what's available" to what each individual country requires.

Just because meds are indeed in "properly labeled pharmacy packaging" does *not* mean it is legal in that quantity, or even at all, in each country.

The best way is to learn from each country's *own* website what their own rules/restrictions/etc., are.

This might involve an email query or perhaps emailed permission or such.
With email these days, it's so easy to "do it right".

In some cases, if there are restrictions that are difficult given one's specific medical needs, one could ask for special permission, or ask "how to handle" the situation.

As others have discussed, these rules/laws and the associated border controls are not typically looking for "Grandpa who forgot to label his cholesterol medication", etc.

However, IF there is some general national/regional drug problem, the oversight might be more strict.

And there's always the chance that some border agent had a bad breakfast and is just looking for some arguing...

Better safe than sorry, and *especially* in "some" countries!

GC

• Like 2

If your bags are not inspected you won't have a problem. If you are inspected you may have a problem if your pills are in an organizer. You have a far less likely chance of having a problem if the pills are in bottles. Reducing potential problems while travelling is always a good plan. My pills are carried in bottles that have prescription information on the label when crossing international borders. So far, no problem. 

Edited by K32682

7 hours ago, ldubs said:

I always take the pill bottles**. Mrs Ldubs never takes the pill bottles. She uses the pill organizer things instead.   I have been questioned once.  She has never been questioned.   Neither of us was questioned on our South America trip.  

The only time I ever had baggage checked while crossing a border was a time when I had long hair and a long beard .I was on a bus and every guy who had that look had their baggage checked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Google says:

Almost 90% of older adults regularly take at least 1 prescription drug, almost 80% regularly take at least 2 prescription drugs, and 36% regularly take at least 5 different prescription drugs. When over-the-counter and dietary supplements are included, these rates are even higher.

So when in doubt, use original bottles (which usually have the pill's description on them) for controlled substances.  OTC and BP meds and the like can go in an organizer.

If foreign customs wants to inspect all incoming visitors pills, they had better add lots more staff, otherwise the inspections may last until its time to return!

And cruisers will probably just leave their meds in the cabin safe, bathroom, or night table when they go ashore, so nothing to inspect their either.

Online access to one's prescription history is as stated, also a good backup JIC.

Edited by evandbob

On 3/5/2023 at 1:09 PM, ldubs said:

Reverse here.I never take pill bottles and Mrs.66 only takes pill bottles.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, K32682 said:

If your bags are not inspected you won't have a problem. If you are inspected you may have a problem if your pills are in an organizer. You have a far less likely chance of having a problem if the pills are in bottles. Reducing potential problems while travelling is always a good plan. My pills are carried in bottles that have prescription information on the label when crossing international borders. So far, no problem. 

And still, without a pharmacy printout (on letterhead and preferably with item pictures) to show at any required inspection, anyone can put anything in a Rx pill container.

I have travelled quite a bit over the last 20 years and have always either just used the organizer or ziplock baggies labeled with the date I am to take it and either am or pm. I have too many bottles to be carrying around. I can pull up my list of prescriptions on the VA website should I ever have a problem. Nobody has ever so much as asked me about my medications.

18 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

And still, without a pharmacy printout (on letterhead and preferably with item pictures) to show at any required inspection, anyone can put anything in a Rx pill container.

Of course this is so but during a bag search border inspectors are less likely to focus on pills in a labeled bottle from a pharmacy than an aftermarket organizer. Carrying my pills in the original bottles is not a huge inconvenience and one less thing to be concerned about. 

DH gets all his rx done up in compliance packs by his pharmacy. Each dose is sealed and labelled. He brings enough for the trip plus 7 days.

If anyrhing ever happened to him I would just hand the meds to the Dr. All the info is printed on each pack.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 1:57 AM, K32682 said:

….Carrying my pills in the original bottles is not a huge inconvenience and one less thing to be concerned about. 

If one has a handful (or more) of Rx containers, it can be a huge inconvenience to fumble with individual bottles on a daily basis (not to mention the space they take up.

“To each his/her own.”

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2023 at 3:58 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

If one has a handful (or more) of Rx containers, it can be a huge inconvenience to fumble with individual bottles on a daily basis (not to mention the space they take up.

“To each his/her own.”

We take prescriptions and medication in individual containers. However, on embarkation put the week’s tablets in a weekly/ daily container..this can be replenished for second and subsequent weeks.  Had no issue on recent South American cruise.

On 3/7/2023 at 5:57 AM, K32682 said:

Of course this is so but during a bag search border inspectors are less likely to focus on pills in a labeled bottle from a pharmacy than an aftermarket organizer. Carrying my pills in the original bottles is not a huge inconvenience and one less thing to be concerned about. 

On 3/8/2023 at 7:58 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

“To each his/her own.”

"Huge" inconvenience might be just a little overstating.  I'm also one of those that just tosses the pill bottles into my carryon.  I admit I'm too lazy to sort them out into one of those daily pill organizers.

I never take original bottles and I have never had problems.  I do take one precaution.  I have diabetes and I take a shot once per week.  I have a letter from my endocrinologist saying that I have diabetes and listing the medical stuff that I might be taking w me for the disease.

DON