"Love Boat" deceptions....

migdet71

4 hours ago, mom says said:

You do know that show, which has been off the air for 37 years, was fiction, right? 

I think the point is to have some fun with reality vs the TV series.  A fun thing.  

• Like 22

First thing that came to my mind was also the cabin size.   I wish!  haha. 

Seems like I recall everyone wore dress whites a lot.  And there was a guy named gopher.  Don't remember much else.   

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, migdet71 said:

Just occurred to me how I was lied to by the Love Boat TV show...... I'll start.  Cabin size

Actually sailed on the original Love Boat twice.  Cabins were exactly as on the show. And staff was amazing..wonderful  maitre'd who wore a fez every evening and was The best host one could ask for.  On small ship everyone got to know everyone on these longer sailings

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Kay S said:

You could bring your friends aboard to say goodbye and then there were those lovely streamers everyone threw at the sailaway.

Those two events actually occurred for certain cruise lines.  Princess had Bon Voyage guests…don’t know about streamers….the Lurline had them.  

And I was just a visiting guest onboard a Princess ship that ported for the day.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Host Carolyn said:

Actually sailed on the original Love Boat twice.  Cabins were exactly as on the show.

Not the original Love Boat I sailed on. No inside or regular oceanview cabin had a bed two people could sleep in. One bed (a couch during the day) was against the outside wall and the other was mounted (folded up) on a wall perpendicular to it.

As the pictures below show, the cabin on the Aloha deck was not nearly as roomy as the ones shown on the original TV show.

(Balcony cabins did not exist then.)

006 Stateroom A266 WKG2H11m1.jpg

007 Stateroom A266 - evening CSG2H23.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 6

11 hours ago, mom says said:

You do know that show, which has been off the air for 37 years, was fiction, right? 

Which show?  The original has been off for that long, but there was a revival in the late 1990s, and a reality version that aired last year.  The last version was at least partially filmed on a real Princess ship and occasionally used real Princess staff (including the Captain).

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Which show?  The original has been off for that long, but there was a revival in the late 1990s, and a reality version that aired last year.  The last version was at least partially filmed on a real Princess ship and occasionally used real Princess staff (including the Captain).

They are talking about the original TV show from the 70s.  Thank goodness that travesty fake reality show that they tried last year didn't take off at all!   I loved the old 70s show!

Edited by wrongwaywatson
  • Like 9

9 hours ago, Kay S said:

and then there were those lovely streamers everyone threw at the sailaway.

When departing New York on the QE2 in 1976 we were provided streamers to toss during sailaway. 

As for what was deceptive about the show, I would say that the Chief Purser was the most important officer on the ship, met regularly with the Captain and was customer-facing. I don’t think I’ve ever seen, let alone met a Purser roaming about the ship. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

When departing New York on the QE2 in 1976 we were provided streamers to toss during sailaway. 

As for what was deceptive about the show, I would say that the Chief Purser was the most important officer on the ship, met regularly with the Captain and was customer-facing. I don’t think I’ve ever seen, let alone met a Purser roaming about the ship. 

Sure you have.....now on Princess called "Guest Services Director"...with 3 stripes.

• Haha 1

Just now, chrysalis said:

Sure you have.....now on Princess called "Guest Services Director"...with 3 stripes.

Not exactly the same thing. The role in the show was an amalgamation of many job responsibilities bundled into one for ease of execution in the show. In a sense, Gopher was a Unicorn. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kay S said:

You could bring your friends aboard to say goodbye and then there were those lovely streamers everyone threw at the sailaway.

Yes,  I definitely remember that in San Pedro ,you could go aboard have a little party and then you had to be off by a certain time and then you could throw streamers from the terminal area to the ship .

• Like 1