The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday April 26th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

7 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

@kazu did they take out all the pins or do you still have some.

He had already taken out one pin on an emergency basis earlier.  It think this is the only other one?  But I’m not sure.  He took out all the wire by my funny bone part of my elbow as he didn’t like how it was sticking out and thought that was part of the problem and then another wire clipper for something else. About an hour.

He listened to me beforehand as I explained the pain when I do certain things and he knows I have a high pain tolerance so he went looking.  

He wants me to see how I do with the rest of the hardware in the elbow for a bit. And how painful it is.  the bone is not good enough to take away all the support yet and removing all the hardware is going to take a lot of time.

We’ll just see how it goes.  But although I am in pain and a bit nauseous, I can feel a huge difference, I think.  Once the pain goes from the surgery, I’ll know for sure.  I am hoping in a day or 2, I can bring Ivan in when his owner wants to.  She knew about the surgery and is willing to wait for me.

Silly woman thinks this is the best home for her boy and wants me to have him if all works out.  

• Like 21
  • Thanks 9

30 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

This is wild! Luckily we have not seen any hail yet. Havent seen hail like that in a very long time. We are having thunderstorms and intermittent deluges of rain. Suppose to continue for the next few hours. Then return for the next few days. It will certainly help the rain deficit.  You OK up there?

It has been sunny all day. No humidity. It must all be down there. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Ok, thanks.  I was thinking it was the Eurodam but now I understand.  I pretty much know what to expect from this poster.

Roy

That was my guess.  I never started reading it because of my expectations.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

So sorry to hear those antibiotics weren't effective.  Hopefully the doctor can give you some answers today and a better prescription for Sam.

It's so nice to hear your refreshing post on your experiences on the Eurodam.  If you listen to one particular poster (not on this thread) there is absolutely no entertainment on their ship, food is okay, and their fellow American passengers retire for the night immediately after early dining.  The non-Americans are fun loving people who enjoy dining later at a shared table.  He seems surprised when he's seated with Americans at 7:30 pm.  DH and I have been late traditional diners since 2008 and all of our cruise buddies are too.  If it weren't for all the information about the ports they have visited, I wouldn't read it at all.  JMHO.

Thanks for sharing about your experiences.  I hope the weather is nice for your Victoria visit tomorrow.  It's such a pretty city to walk around.  Have fun!

Just telling about our experience I’m sure some will report the cruise from hell.😁 Earlier on my post I noticed and mentioned dinner tonight with Kurt which was a typo. It’s @KirkNC and wife Barbara. Goodnight and thanks for all you do.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

The day started cold (29F) and sunny.  I'm sure it will warm up quickly.  As long as it is sunny, I'm ok.  Thank  you to @cat shepard, @StLouisCruisers, @grapau27, @RedneckBob, @JazzyV, @cruising sister, @smitty34877, @ocean sounds, @rafinmd, and @kazu for the birthday wishes.  I hope I haven't left anyone out.  I'll do another sweep later.  

First, prayers for @bennybear and @kazu that their surgeries go well and are 100% successful.  

I have little on the agenda tonight.  My sister is taking me to lunch at Cafe Zinc downtown. It is an upscale restaurant (she wants to pretend we're rich) mostly there to serve Dow executives and visitors.  We'll fit right in.  Ha ha ha.  No matter what is on the menu, I will not be having tofu lettuce cups.   These don't look too bad and I might enjoy one as an appetizer, but not as a meal.  For the first one, the directions are given on Delish.  So, if you can get into the site, here it is:  https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a38952025/tofu-lettuce-wraps-recipe/  If not, here is the ingredient list and most of us can figure out what to do with them.  https://www.punchfork.com/recipe/Caramelized-Tofu-Lettuce-Cups-Delish

CaramelizedTofuLettuceCups1.jpg.e8953daa9637461ae94f49211f60040b.jpg

They look pretty!  Here is Ree Drummond's recipe:  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/tofu-lettuce-wraps-3198061

caramelizedtofulettucecups3.thumb.jpeg.192a551c3bd20d3be2f35a3d2003d0f3.jpeg

Anything from PF Chang's is good.  https://www.holisticfoodie.com/recipes/pf-changs-tofu-lettuce-wraps

caramelizedtofulettucecups5.thumb.jpg.41f455c6645d49426a1a5a9110faf3e1.jpg

I'd eat one if someone made it for me.   

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

Happy birthday @dfish!  I hope you’re having a nice day.

• Like 9

Good evening after a slightly frustrating afternoon.  The appointment for the tire alignment took 2+ hours, but at least, the bill was way lower than we expected.  However, while they were able to do part of the alignment they could not reset the computer link.

In the neantime, we've received than 2 inches of rain since about 5 pm and more is on the way.  This might be a record rainfall.  We could get large hail too, but all the cars are under cover.  Additionally, we're under a tornado watch until 10 pm.  We're not overly worried, buit are keeping an eye on the weather.  There is a lot of thunder right now.

6 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Yeah! New thermostat and cabin temperature is returning to normal.👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

I'm glad the new thermostat solved the problem.

4 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good afternoon everyone. Sam doesn’t seem to be feeling better even with antibiotics. Another doctor appointment this afternoon.

Carol, I hope the doctor was able to help Sam.

2 hours ago, kazu said:

I am so sorry for your anniversary - I’m only hitting my first one and It’s hard and painful.  A prayer for your very poignant time..

I thank everyone for their prayers and good wishes today.  I’m sorry, I am too tired to try to quote or do @‘s.  But please know they are appreciated.

I am home and exhausted - but I didn’t scream. Jerked, bit my lip but I didn’’t scream.   I took Jose (the bear) after a hint from Gerry.   And no one laughed at me at the bone clinic.  When the nurse saw it she offered to let me squeeze her hand when my surgeon reminded her I was alone.  (I declined - had Jose and had already gone through 1/2 hour of it) 

Much more than anticipated and bigger wire clippers - yup they use wire clippers.  I tried not to listen to the clips - LOL.  Now we have to see how I manage with the rest.  The hope is I can do well for a few more months or do well all together.  Otherwise - I get to endure this all over again and believe me, it will be much longer.

I’m sorry - can’t get up to date - too tired and too much pain now but I thank you all.

With luck, I will feel better tomorrow.  Bless you all for caring ♥️ 

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope today's surgery will ease the pain problem, and that this is the end of hardware removal.

57 minutes ago, dfish said:

That was my guess.  I never started reading it because of my expectations.

Debbie, I also refrained from reading that thread until something DH said last night got me to read it.  It was about what I expected.  I won't comment further so I don't get in trouble. At least, ournown @USN59-79  Ray, had some positive comments to add to the thread.

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good evening from the lovely Volendam. I had a nice relaxing afternoon. Trivia was hard — old pictures of famous people and we had to guess who they are. 

6 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

That looks delicious, Sharon.  We never do those dinners because I get migraine from red wine, but looking at your menu, most are white wines.  They'd probably substitute a champagne or something for the one red wine.  

Sorry it affected your sleep, though.  I'd be bouncing off the walls all night from that dinner.  Sometimes worth it!  😍

Our table asked for more of the white wine and I ended up drinking that instead of the red but unfortunately I had already drunk some of the red. 

4 hours ago, cat shepard said:

@cunnorl

Charlene, hope you escaped the hail storm that hit West Melbourne! This just doesn’t look like Florida is supposed to look!

8B85E2B3-7C55-4A34-9384-E952B1B086EA.jpeg.5983048713854bda8c9649dc88a659a2.jpeg

890D6D39-858A-490F-8246-D8A873459043.jpeg.2ced90173872f882ecc3277c8881d32d.jpeg

Wow Ann!!  That’s crazy. We get hail sometimes but the worst is in Eastern Colorado where I grew up. 

3 hours ago, kazu said:

He had already taken out one pin on an emergency basis earlier.  It think this is the only other one?  But I’m not sure.  He took out all the wire by my funny bone part of my elbow as he didn’t like how it was sticking out and thought that was part of the problem and then another wire clipper for something else. About an hour.

He listened to me beforehand as I explained the pain when I do certain things and he knows I have a high pain tolerance so he went looking.  

He wants me to see how I do with the rest of the hardware in the elbow for a bit. And how painful it is.  the bone is not good enough to take away all the support yet and removing all the hardware is going to take a lot of time.

We’ll just see how it goes.  But although I am in pain and a bit nauseous, I can feel a huge difference, I think.  Once the pain goes from the surgery, I’ll know for sure.  I am hoping in a day or 2, I can bring Ivan in when his owner wants to.  She knew about the surgery and is willing to wait for me.

Silly woman thinks this is the best home for her boy and wants me to have him if all works out.  

Feel better Jacqui. Hugs to you. Ivan will have a great home with you. 

PS—I’ve avoided that thread like the plague. I would get too riled up and who needs stress like that? Not me!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 13

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Debbie @dfishI thought I'd said Happy Birthday to you here, but now I see I didn't -- silly me said it on FB and missed it here.  I hope your day has been wonderful!!

It has been a great day.  But then, most of my days are.  I am truly blessed.  Thank you!

2 hours ago, Mr. Boston said:

Happy birthday @dfish!  I hope you’re having a nice day.

Thank you!   I sure am!

2 hours ago, Cruisercl said:

Happy Birthday @dfish! Hope your day was great. 🥂 

Life is pretty good when we can celebrate another birthday...😊

Take care. 

Caron

You are right.  I always say every day I wake up on this side of the ground is a good day.  

• Like 12

I've often wondered why people complain about cruises.  You invest a lot of money, but you still take yourself, where ever you go.  Maybe I just accept things a little too easy, and I rarely dare myself to get out of my comfort zone.  So, on a cruise, as long as I have coffee, I'm a happy camper.  I'm not working, the meals are paid for, I don't have to do the dishes, I do make my own bed, just because I see how over worked the stewards are.   Get a clean towel, I'm good to go.  I'm fed, I don't have to cook and I am not working!  Except for the ship sinking, I'm good to go.  Usually the fellow passengers are entertaining enough, so What's there to complain about? 

@rafinmdI sent an email to Holland with our Carnival VIFP Club numbers, and I emailed the BFF the phone number.  Today we turned on the outside water, but tomorrow I have to get a new hose. Fill the ponds up.  Then my new glasses arrived, so I will be picking them up, hope they are right.  And we will be digging the grave for Irving.  He will be with his friends in Kitty Heaven.  So If i dont come on tomorrow or Friday you all will know why.

@kazuBeing the true cat that I am, I have a stuffed rat in my purse.  He always go the the doctors with me.  I was going to suggest taking a stuffed animal, you took the right one. ((((HUGS))))

My elbow hardware is there for good.  It rains, gets humid, gets cold, it hurts.  When I drive and my arm is out in the sun, the metal gets hot. BUT I don't  set off any alarms when I go through security. 😎

and OMG on that hail in Florida!

@ger_77Please tell your dear hubby a very Happy Belated Birthday!  Is he still looking for musicians and songwriters?  please email me at anniemounce at yahoo dot com if he is.  I'll even send him lyrics.  The song I would not sell to someone famous because they wanted their name as song writer.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

It looks like the rain has finally past through our area, and all the bad weather is south and east of us.  We did not get the hail that was predicted, but Waco got a lot of big hail. We received 2 1/4 inches of rain in the past 24 hours, and all but 1/10 inch was between 5 pm and 7 or 8 pm today.  That is supposed to be it for rain until Friday or Saturday.

It looks like @Seasick Sailor Joy may still get some more rain tonight.  I hope they did not have any damage.

@marshhawk  Annie, I agree with you about what is there to complain about when you're on a ship.  While there are some changes since Covid and even before that we do like, they have not ruined the overall cruise experience.

We were on a cruise with the author of the unhappy thread about 12 years ago.  He commented on the roll call,  but never made himself known to any on the roll call once on the ship.  Since then, his post have become more and more bitter about HAL.  I was surprised he is on a BHB, much less doing a live from blog.

Lenda

• Like 12

10 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I’ve avoided that thread like the plague. I would get too riled up and who needs stress like that? Not me!

I don't think I've been reading that thread, either, but I have some of the most consistently angry and negative people blocked. From posts all over CC, it appears that some people think that all cruise lines are out to bilk them, and that if a crew member makes an error or the ship runs out of their favorite food or drink, it's intentional. If people dislike a certain cruise line so much, why do they book it? If everything about cruising antagonizes them, why do they do it at all?

• Like 12

On 4/26/2023 at 10:33 AM, rafinmd said:

I'm not entirely sure.  I think if you have a PCC or Travel Agent they could handle it.  If not my best guess would be to either call the Mariner Society at 1‐800‐547‐9139 or email them at mariner_society@hollandamerica.com

Roy

Roy thanks for your info.   Apparently Hal no longer matches Princess loyality numbers.

I first phoned the Mariner Society and was told no

then I emailed and today got back the answer and it was no to matching Princess. 

again thanks 

Sue

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, go fish 44 said:

Roy thanks for your info.   Apparently Hal no longer matches Princess loyality numbers.

I first phoned the Mariner Society and was told no

then I emailed and today got back the answer and it was no to matching Princess. 

again thanks 

Sue

Sorry to hear that.

Roy

• Like 1