Shorts in the dinning room

23 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Unnecessary. Shorts are fine for all members of the party for casual and formal nights. 

Florida departing cruises yes, not necessarily the case for Royal departing cruises worldwide.

Only mentioning because I saw folks turned away from the MDR on Anthem out of Southampton last summer.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Tatka said:

What is the dress code onboard all ships?

When you’re onboard, the right look will vary by venue. But here are a few types of suggested attire you’ll see, grouped by item.

• Casual: You’re on vacation – relax! Jeans, polos, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck. Shorts are welcomed for breakfast and lunch.
  • Smart Casual: Think of this as a step up from your typical dinner wear. Dress to impress with collared shirts, dresses, skirts and blouses, or pantsuits. Jackets, sports coats and blazers are snazzy and welcomed. 
  • Formal: Make it a night out in your best black-tie look – suits and ties, tuxedos, cocktail dresses or evening gowns. There can be 1-3 formal nights during a sailing and is at the ship’s discretion.

It says suggested.  Not required.  The language is silly anyhow.  

Read smart casual.  It says think of it as a step up from your normal dinner attire.  Then it says collared shirts.  Are collated shirts a step up from typical dinner attire.  Maybe at home, but certainly not an evening out at even a casual restaurant for most men.  And since when are pant suits smart casual.  That is typical business formal attire for many women.  Just watch the high profile female politicians.  Almost all wear pant suits for debates as an example.  It sure isn’t smart casual.  It’s business formal.  I don’t know many women who want to bring their professional clothes in a cruise.

The whole paragraph is silly and it’s just suggested, not required.  That is why it lists so much. 

• Like 2

While I appreciate some times to dress up, I also see how they are pointless. 

And if someone has a problem with what I wear, that’s seriously not my problem. I’ll wear what I want. Your “offense” is yours to keep. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Tin can said:

Florida departing cruises yes, not necessarily the case for Royal departing cruises worldwide.

Only mentioning because I saw folks turned away from the MDR on Anthem out of Southampton last summer.

Shorts were very common in the dining room on the holy land cruise last month.

• Like 1

Last cruise we went on, a guy the table over was wearing bib overalls on formal night in the MDR. His wife was in a gray crew neck sweatshirt and matching baggy sweatpants. SMH. They were getting "side-eye" looks for other passengers, but no RCL employee made it an issue.

16 hours ago, topnole said:

It says suggested.  Not required.  The language is silly anyhow.  

Read smart casual.  It says think of it as a step up from your normal dinner attire.  Then it says collared shirts.  Are collated shirts a step up from typical dinner attire.  Maybe at home, but certainly not an evening out at even a casual restaurant for most men.  And since when are pant suits smart casual.  That is typical business formal attire for many women.  Just watch the high profile female politicians.  Almost all wear pant suits for debates as an example.  It sure isn’t smart casual.  It’s business formal.  I don’t know many women who want to bring their professional clothes in a cruise.

The whole paragraph is silly and it’s just suggested, not required.  That is why it lists so much. 

Well, this is not the Army.

They cannot make you... but interesting part is they clearly state when shorts are welcomed in MDR.

More than suggestive.

4 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

I'm on a Caribbean vacation... I don't want a suit, or even pants, anywhere near me. I wear long pants to work all year, outside, including in the summer. I just want to be able to relax and dress comfortably for one week. 

We are usually on 2 Southern Caribbean cruises a year, 1 to Bermuda and 1 to Bahamas (or 2 to Bahamas). Most of people do wear long pants to MDR. JFYI.

11 minutes ago, Tatka said:

We are usually on 2 Southern Caribbean cruises a year, 1 to Bermuda and 1 to Bahamas (or 2 to Bahamas). Most of people do wear long pants to MDR. JFYI.

"Most" is a pretty generous word to use. I was just on Oasis in February and I'd say it was MAYBE just over half of the people in the MDR wearing pants. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

"Most" is a pretty generous word to use. I was just on Oasis in February and I'd say it was MAYBE just over half of the people in the MDR wearing pants. 

Not at All

I sailed on Oasis in September 2021 and May 2022 to Bahamas and that is what I saw.

Also on Anthem (Bahamas every Thanksgiving, Southern Caribbeans every January), Enchantment every March Southern Caribbeans.

Just of off Liberty to Bermuda. Same.

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Well, this is not the Army.

They cannot make you... but interesting part is they clearly state when shorts are welcomed in MDR.

More than suggestive.

It's always funny when people post the "Shorts are welcomed in the MDR for breakfast and lunch" and then just assume that means they aren't allowed at dinner.

When right below that on the "dress code" page it says:

"Main Dining Room/Specialty Dining Venues

Bare feet are not allowed at any time in any venue and tank tops are not permitted in the Main Dining Room or Specialty Dining venues for dinner."

If shorts aren't allowed at dinner, it would be so easy for them to just add "and shorts" to "tank tops" and be done with it.  

It's very easy to read your own bias into the absence of words.  Words mean things.  If shorts weren't allowed at dinner in the MDR, they'd say shorts aren't allowed at dinner in the MDR.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

This is a polite suggestion, yes.

Most will get it.

If person does not agree you can put SHORTS ARE NOT PERMITTED in large bold letters and there will still be a discussion about this.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

For a moment I thought I had clicked on a Celebrity Board discussion.  Thankfully, Royal has seen the light and sensibly allows people to now wear shorts.

Well, Royal doesn’t stop people, yes. Royalьс's approach is pretty much non-confrontational. So at times you see people like that. It’s a formal night in MDR btw. But I’d rather call it an exception. 
Shorts especially during Formal/Dress your best nights are too. 

IMG_9628.jpeg

Edited by Tatka

4 hours ago, fsufancc said:

Last cruise we went on, a guy the table over was wearing bib overalls on formal night in the MDR. His wife was in a gray crew neck sweatshirt and matching baggy sweatpants. SMH. They were getting "side-eye" looks for other passengers, but no RCL employee made it an issue.

There are always judgmental people, just ignore them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

When was the last time you were on an RCI cruise? I have been on 9 RCI cruises this year (number 10 is next week). With the possible exception of a few dress your best nights, the majority of men in the MDR for dinner and speciality restaurants have been wearing shorts. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

When was the last time you were on an RCI cruise? I have been on 9 RCI cruises this year (number 10 is next week). With the possible exception of a few dress your best nights, the majority of men in the MDR for dinner and speciality restaurants have been wearing shorts. 

Last one was at the end of May 2023 (Liberty). Anthem was in January, Enchantment in March.

We do cruise a lot. We hit 140 points in Nov 2021 and will have 280 in Nov 2023. 

Edited by Tatka

13 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Last one was at the end of May 2023 (Liberty). Anthem was in January, Enchantment in March.

We do cruise a lot. We hit 140 points in Nov 2021 and will have 280 in Nov 2023. 

Maybe it is ship specific. I have been on Wonder twice, Grandeur twice, Harmony, Mariner, Odyssey, Freedom and Independence, so we haven’t been on the same ship this year. 

48 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Maybe it is ship specific. I have been on Wonder twice, Grandeur twice, Harmony, Mariner, Odyssey, Freedom and Independence, so we haven’t been on the same ship this year. 

Well, we usually do 3-5 ships a year 5 cruises.

This year it is 3 ships

Anthem  January 11 days Southern Caribbeans, Enchantment - 12 days Southern Caribbeans,  Liberty - 5 days Bermuda, Liberty - 9 days Canada/NE, Anthem 7 days Bahamas

Last year it was 4 ships -  Anthem (9 days Caribbeans) - Enchantment (12 days Southern Caribbeans) - Oasis (7 days Bahamas) - Adventure (9 days Canada/NE) - Anthem (7 days Bahamas)

Edited by Tatka

On 6/8/2023 at 12:15 PM, Jt4428 said:

yes, anything goes now a days except bathing suits.

I know I will get slammed for this but here goes from me!!!

Yes, anything goes and that's why our Oasis sailing this summer (which was booked specifically to cruise with Family) will be our last RCI sailing. Our current Diamond status is no longer an incentive for us to book with them and their apparent current "anything goes in so many areas as long as we fill the ships" policies. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Tatka said:

Well, Royal doesn’t stop people, yes. Royalьс's approach is pretty much non-confrontational. So at times you see people like that. It’s a formal night in MDR btw. But I’d rather call it an exception. 
Shorts especially during Formal/Dress your best nights are too. 

IMG_9628.jpeg

At least the one is wearing pants.  I think this represents well the notion that not all pants are equal.  

• Like 1