Has anyone noticed a decline in quality of Princess food?

GoHuskies!

6 minutes ago, Coral said:

I wonder how the pie slices are in-tact. My apple and cherry pies always run. I wonder what it takes to make a pie like that (though theirs doesn't taste good).

Tons of cornstarch & maybe tapioca. Whereas I use a tablespoon (15cc?) they probably use a 1/4 cup (60cc?)

3 hours ago, GoHuskies! said:

My theory is that the crew and the officers were all non-Americans who brought foreign tastes aboard. 

In my 15 years sailing on Princess the crews and officers have always been overwhelmingly non-American.

9 minutes ago, Coral said:

I wonder how the pie slices are in-tact. My apple and cherry pies always run. I wonder what it takes to make a pie like that (though theirs doesn't taste good).

Mine never run - I use clear gel and make filling one day ahead of time. Always use fresh fruit too.

• Like 2

Agree with the overuse of starches to thicken desserts.  Puddings/panna cottas are like wallpaper paste instead of being a luscious texture.  The pies are too firm for my liking are sometimes still cold/frozen in the center.  I guess they are chilled so that they slice neater.

Edited by SCX22
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Mine never run - I use clear gel and make filling one day ahead of time. Always use fresh fruit too.

It must be the gel. Mine always run though they taste amazing. Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

I've been a member here for more than two decades, and this topic, "decline in the quality" of cruise food has been at the forefront during all of that time.

In the 60s-90s apparently, they served Maine lobster and Prime filets every night at no extra cost. 🤔

At some point in the future, our current situation will be fondly remembered at "the good old days"! 🙊

• Like 6

We’re currently on the Diamond cruising around Japan and the food in the dining room has been great every time we’ve gone, which is usually every breakfast, lunch (on sea days), and dinner. My DW even has some great tasting gluten-free French toast every morning. But then food is quite subjective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

After the restart I would agree with the fact that the food quality and taste had declined.  But on our recent cruise on the Regal (disembarked a week ago) we were quite pleased with the food.  Pretty sure the supply chain and budgetary issues after a year + of no sailing heavily impacted their ability to deliver what we've come to expect.  Glad the food and other stuff onboard has gotten back to normal.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I was on the Ruby for a week in March and the food in both the mdr and buffet was good. The hamburger and fries on the Lido deck was very good and the pizza was passable. I was on the Jewel of the Seas over Christmas and found the buffet had more choices but the quality was hit or miss. Same with the mdr. I had two meals I had to send back in the mdr.

as far as specialty dining, I have not indulged, so I can't comment.

4 hours ago, JoRoy218 said:

I need to share a very positive experience a few weeks ago on the Emerald. Every meal we had (and we ate in various venues, from Reserve Dining, to MDR to Sabatini’s) was just right. The beef dishes in particular were spot on. Perhaps some were not seasoned as we like, but was easily fixed with a bit more added at the table. It was probably the most consistently good food we’ve had on any cruise thus far.  No complaints at all! 

We were also on the Emerald over the Fourth oh July.  I have to agree that the food was absolutely spectacular on that ship.  It was also incredible on the Diamond Princess earlier this year.  
We also have had no complaints whatsoever!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 weeks crown alaska....my complaint was that i liked the food,,,just about ALL of it... in the buffet tooooo much....and one of the cute waitresses INSISTED that i should try lots of deserts and go back for seconds... so i blame her for my weight gain ...obviously it was not MY fault

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Keep in mind that prior to the shutdown the big 3 spent around 12 to 14 dollars per passenger per day for food. A number that would have included the food for the crew as well.

Now is in the 15 to 18 dollar per passenger per day range.

They certainly have to have their tricks and techniques to stretch that amount as far as they do.

3 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Agree with the overuse of starches to thicken desserts.  Puddings/panna cottas are like wallpaper paste instead of being a luscious texture.  

Maybe that's why the (alleged) sweet potato pie at Bayou Cafe on Island Princess tasted nothing like sweet potatoes. Actually it didn't taste like much of anything because it had no flavor whatsoever.

We haven't cruised since COVID, but I've always found the buffet offerings rather bland. I assumed they try to keep the flavours as neutral as possible because there is such a broad range of preferences on board.  We have made it a habit to bring our own spices on cruises.  DH in particular loves super-hot chili paste and can never find it on board.

12 hours ago, GoHuskies! said:

My theory is that the crew and the officers were all non-Americans who brought foreign tastes aboard. 

Oh the shame of it. But it’s almost certainly a deliberate ploy: Making America Grumpy Again

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Coral said:

10 hours ago, Coral said:

It must be the gel. Mine always run though they taste amazing. Thanks for the tip.

6 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Maybe that's why the (alleged) sweet potato pie at Bayou Cafe on Island Princess tasted nothing like sweet potatoes. Actually it didn't taste like much of anything because it had no flavor whatsoever.

The food service they purchase their pies from is quite good at not letting their pies become runny. Besides that, how could they ship them around the world without creating a mess otherwise?  

Has anyone ever noticed that the pecan pie that offer is always hard as a nut bar?

It's terrible by any standards. 

10 hours ago, Teechur said:

I've been a member here for more than two decades, and this topic, "decline in the quality" of cruise food has been at the forefront during all of that time.

In the 60s-90s apparently, they served Maine lobster and Prime filets every night at no extra cost. 🤔

At some point in the future, our current situation will be fondly remembered at "the good old days"! 🙊

People are nostalgic for lots of things.  I think they miss being young when they were thinner, cuter, had more hair, etc.  This translates into everything being better when they were younger.

• Like 3

I think it is better than right before the pandemic and has been improving over the last year.

I remember being very disappointed in the food as well as the menu selection on my last cruise to Norway and Iceland before the shutdown. There were at least  5 out of 14 nights where there was just nothing appealing.

I also recall that the favorites menu only included a hamburger as a meat choice as opposed to the steak and chicken breast available now. Of course, I’m sure Princess’ food may have been much better further in the past. That was certainly true on other lines.

Like airlines, prices have gone way down and we may have to adjust our expectations. My first 7 night Carnival cruise in 1982 was just over $1,000 per person in a tiny oceanview cabin with a porthole that was about 18” in diameter. That would be over $3,100 per person today.  

I’ve seen similar changes on Celebrity over the last 25 years. We pay less and get less.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

The food service they purchase their pies from is quite good at not letting their pies become runny. Besides that, how could they ship them around the world without creating a mess otherwise?  

Has anyone ever noticed that the pecan pie that offer is always hard as a nut bar?

It's terrible by any standards. 

Well - at one point, Princess used to say that they made everything from scratch except for the sugar free ice cream. I wasn't going to speculate if they make the pies or not.

Though - I live somewhere that sells Baker Square pies. They are shipped nation wide and they run when I cut them.

• Like 1

We've learned long ago not to expect gourmet meals.  Although, I'd say we had some pretty darn good food 20+ years ago. 

Anyway, I will say up front that we have not been on a ship since last November and certainly things could have changed on any or all ships in the interim. 

In general, the buffet has decent food with a reasonable amount of variety on the Royal Class ships.  There were things I found lacking or missing last Fall, but it was okay.

My most specific take-away was the decline in beef cut/quality.  We also found the Island food to be much better than on Regal and I did feel Regal was just sub-par for the duration and figure it was galley mgmt.  Repeat - this could be entirely different today and I am reading more positive food reports this summer than last fall. 

I'd rather pay a bit more cruise fare and keep food quality up than be paying the same dollars I used to and get less quality.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

My most specific take-away was the decline in beef cut/quality.  We also found the Island food to be much better than on Regal and I did feel Regal was just sub-par for the duration and figure it was galley mgmt.  Repeat - this could be entirely different today and I am reading more positive food reports this summer than last fall. 

I sailed in November - 17 nights I believe and then 11 nights in May. I didn't notice any difference in food.

It is convention food at best. I did not go hungry and I am sure I gained weight as there are certain things I don't eat when at home and will eat on vacation.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

We've learned long ago not to expect gourmet meals.  Although, I'd say we had some pretty darn good food 20+ years ago. 

Anyway, I will say up front that we have not been on a ship since last November and certainly things could have changed on any or all ships in the interim. 

In general, the buffet has decent food with a reasonable amount of variety on the Royal Class ships.  There were things I found lacking or missing last Fall, but it was okay.

I'd rather pay a bit more cruise fare and keep food quality up than be paying the same dollars I used to and get less quality.

We have cruised 195 days since the start up (Regal, Sky, Enchanted) and can say, in our opinion,  that the food has improved from before, and has been excellent. In fact, we commented on many occasion, that the beef in the MDR has been great.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, chrysalis said:

We have cruised 195 days since the start up (Regal, Sky, Enchanted) and can say, in our opinion,  that the food has improved from before, and has been excellent. In fact, we commented on many occasion, that the beef in the MDR has been great.

We have been on different ships and have not had the same experience with the beef. Though I only have 37 days since Dec 2021.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1