The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday September 29th, 2023

richwmn

2 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

@marshhawkAnnie, I understand all too well the situation you and DH are in and I have realized that you are managing everything  on your own. My DD and DSIL work from home and had to drop what they were doing many times to physically help with our two patients.I am very fortunate to have all of that help. Please know I think of you often and send my prayers and hugs.

@dfishDebbie, you are very kind but I laughed at being a hero. Believe me, there are days when I  walk down the hall here swearing like a sailor and hope no one hears me!

@Seasick Sailor Joy, well ,the basement has water in it already but hopefully the sump pump will manage. The water is presently running through the patio area and down the driveway.I feel for the people in downtown Yonkers who already have six inches of water in the streets. Yikes

I'm sure other heroes have let loose with some interesting vocabulary from time to time.  Glad I could provide you with a chuckle.  Seriously, I've been a caretaker.  When my mom was ill I was the one the rest of the family turned to.  They were all around and took turns the one week I went back to Ohio, but when I was there, they disappeared.  It is tough, but I wouldn't have changed it for anything.  I cherish the time I had with her.  The same was true when my dad was ill after having surgery for an abdominal aortic aneurysm.  He was quite ill for about 6 weeks and no one knew what the issue was. I put life on hold in Ohio and stayed in Michigan except for two weekends when I made quick trips home.  I admire you and what you have accomplished greatly.  @marshhawk, that includes you.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

@marshhawkAnnie, I understand all too well the situation you and DH are in and I have realized that you are managing everything  on your own. My DD and DSIL work from home and had to drop what they were doing many times to physically help with our two patients.I am very fortunate to have all of that help. Please know I think of you often and send my prayers and hugs.

@dfishDebbie, you are very kind but I laughed at being a hero. Believe me, there are days when I  walk down the hall here swearing like a sailor and hope no one hears me!

@Seasick Sailor Joy, well ,the basement has water in it already but hopefully the sump pump will manage. The water is presently running through the patio area and down the driveway.I feel for the people in downtown Yonkers who already have six inches of water in the streets. Yikes

Debbie said “hero”, not Saint!  Very different, Terry. Very different. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 10

Good day and thanks all! 
@Quartzsite Cruiser glad to hear your DH is going home, it’s always easier to recover at home.  Wishing him a speedy and good recovery! 
@HAL Sailer I am so sorry to hear your news!   Hoping your DH can recover well! 
@smitty34877 oh no on the flooding!  It’s ok to say some naughty things, we have to get out those emotions too! 
@marshhawk wise words on caretaking!  For sure it affects both partners, and sometimes it’s harder to watch.  
@rafinmd Bon voyage! 
@ger_77for give me, you made me giggle with your description, I’m really glad you’re ok!  

We spent ten days in Anchorage, a lovely place with amazing food!

IMG_3040.jpeg

IMG_3045.jpeg

IMG_3051.jpeg

IMG_3042.jpeg

IMG_3041.jpeg

IMG_3039.jpeg

IMG_3044.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

It’s been over 24 hours since we received our Covid booster and other then arm being slightly sore at injection area no other symptoms. 
Pretty much stuck at home with front entry door open and primer drying.

It’s a beautiful day and temperature was great for walking.

• Like 22

Whee!  I actually have a Denali picture (since we're talking about Alaska cruise tours).  I rarely take cruise photos since I'm a bad photographer.

This is the dearly-departed love of my life at Denali.  He's the one who suffered from the same condition that is currently plaguing Lenda's @Quartzsite Cruiser DH Steve. 

We didn't get there on a ship.  We flew his plane (mine didn't have the range) up there -- took turns flying 'cause it's a looong trip from Washington to Alaska when you only have one engine.

image.thumb.jpeg.f954e0befa7f2a8110bc9682fd52d1ca.jpeg

Edited by AV8rix
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 6

5 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

As it stands now, DH will be discharged about 10am.  The resident was in very early this morning and he discharged DH.  The surgeon will not be coming.  We haven't seen him since the surgery.

That is really good news 👍. I hope he can recover quickly and easily 🙏 

5 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I bought these great scoops from a garden centre that really made quick work of gathering the cuttings and tossing them into the big green bin.  At one point, I sent DH into the house to get some water for us, and I thought I'd be smart and hurry up and  move the green bin farther into the yard before he returned.  Apparently the wheels jammed on the rake he'd dropped which meant there was an abrupt stop and before I knew what was happening, I was catapulted head first directly into the green bin!

Wow, I wish I could get all mine in the compost bin.  I save the heaviest stuff for it and it will be stuffed and have 10 compost bags so far to go out.

4 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

DH Bill and I are home after an interesting trip north.  Bill is still coughing and sneezing and I seem to have picked up something as well.  We spent most of yesterday sleeping once we got home.  I will pick up some take out today and do some real grocery shopping tomorrow

I hope you are both feeling much better by tomorrow 🤞 

Sorry, had to edit. Mucked up. Visit today was emotional but it helped my friend.  And that was the goal. Too much comes back talking about this stuff 😢 

• Like 23

@JazzyVI am so hoping you can find an end to this pain you are going through.  I am quite good at sleeping sitting up but not on the bed- too squishy.  

We were supposed to go to Portage Glacier when we were in Anchorage, however as I said, they did not start the tours until mid May, and we were there the first week of May. Our excursion in Valdez was cancelled because the pass still had over 300 feet of snow on the roads, again, maybe the first week of May was too early. 

The tree man was supposed to come this afternoon.  DH thinks the tree man is confused 95% of the time.  he said 2.  it's now 3, he said 400, but it has to be cash.  maybe the tree man has an assistant with a problem, who keeps answering the phone?  I went and got the cash, but there is no tree man.

My two red cats are in the front windows watching butterflies and green lizards wander by.  They are so cute.  The cats, not the lizards.

I only worked two hours today, giving one campaign 18 hours, and then tomorrow I go back to calling California and will end up giving them about 19 hours for a total of 37 hours....and this is part time?

• Like 22

Good cloudy and humid afternoon. 
I read on the Cunard forum that Roy made it onboard but sail away is delayed until 11pm Also read on a separate thread that 2 carts of luggage went overboard when the ship was unloaded this morning. Some floated and some didn’t. Supposedly, there are pictures on The NY Times of them floating down the river. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 21

This morning I got the three vaccines. Covid and Flu in the left arm, RSV in the right arm. Didn't even feel the Covid or Flu shots, the RSV shot burns going in. I am hoping there are no adverse side effects but if there are I have a full weekend to recover.

Next week I will need to clean out the 2nd bedroom for my son who will arrive on Oct. 10. I haven't seen him in over two years and am so looking forward to his visit.

So far this summer I had 2 large Agave Plants collapse, 1 Mexican Bird of Paradise plant die  and 4 of my Texas Sage are very sunburned. My yard man doubled the water in hopes that the Sage can be saved.  It has been a totally brutal summer however the weather forecast is that today may end our 105+(F) days.

I have been to Alaska on several cruises but the only time I was in Achorage was my first cruise tour in 1989. Thank you to all who shared their photos.

@HAL Sailer I am very sorry to read your news; I am adding you and your husband to my prayers.

@smitty34877 I hope you can find a new caregiver for Tana soonest.

RIP Senator Diane Feinstein

Jane. 

Edited by lazey1
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 2

I have a question for some of the very knowledgable folks on the Daily.  Many of you are experienced at organizing Meet & Mingles on board the ship.  Thinking of @kazu and @Vict0riann because I have attended their very well organized Meet & Mingles!

I am arranging my first one for the Noordam in about a week.  It is all going well and I have 111 people signed up.  My question is this - I have always been told it was forbidden to ever discuss private shore excursions during the formal part of the meeting.  And never, ever exchange money unless done discretely.  (I was surprised a year ago when a M & M organizer asked two tour organizers to stand up and tell everyone about their excursions to the whole group.  Especially since I was one of the tour organizers who was asked to do so!)

So, where is it written that this is forbidden?  I have tried to search the board unsuccessfully.  

Thanks in advance.

Janet

• Like 12

18 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

This morning I got the three vaccines. Covid and Flu in the left arm, RSV in the right arm. Didn't even feel the Covid or Flu shots, the RSV shot burns going in. I am hoping there are no adverse side effects but if there are I have a full weekend to recover.

Next week I will need to clean out the 2nd bedroom for my son who will arrive on Oct. 10. I haven't seen him in over two years and am so looking forward to his visit.

So far this summer I had 2 large Agave Plants collapse, 1 Mexican Bird of Paradise plant die  and 4 of my Texas Sage are very sunburned. My yard man doubled the water in hopes that the Sage can be saved.  It has been a totally brutal summer however the weather forecast is that today may end our 105+(F) days.

I have been to Alaska on several cruises but the only time I was in Achorage was my first cruise tour in 1989. Thank you to all who shared their photos.

@HAL Sailer I am very sorry to read your news; I am adding you and your husband to my prayers.

@smitty34877 I hope you can find a new caregiver for Tana soonest.

RIP Senator Diane Feinstein

Jane. 

I only got the flu & RSV jabs the other day --- felt like _ _ _ _ the next day --- slightly sore arm, achy & nauseous...really glad Safeway didn't have the Covid booster I wanted to get.....

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Red Haired Lady said:

I have a question for some of the very knowledgable folks on the Daily.  Many of you are experienced at organizing Meet & Mingles on board the ship.  Thinking of @kazu and @Vict0riann because I have attended their very well organized Meet & Mingles!

I am arranging my first one for the Noordam in about a week.  It is all going well and I have 111 people signed up.  My question is this - I have always been told it was forbidden to ever discuss private shore excursions during the formal part of the meeting.  And never, ever exchange money unless done discretely.  (I was surprised a year ago when a M & M organizer asked two tour organizers to stand up and tell everyone about their excursions to the whole group.  Especially since I was one of the tour organizers who was asked to do so!)

So, where is it written that this is forbidden?  I have tried to search the board unsuccessfully.  

Thanks in advance.

Janet

Hi Janet,

Congrats on doing the work to organize the M&G. 👍 

always a pleasure to chat with you.

First of all, it is not “forbidden” to talk about private tours but it is poor form to discuss in front of officers and staff.  That can easily be done after.  That’s just how I  look at things. There will be staff there with that number and despite what the events co-ordinatiors say,I have had officers and others attend on occasion.

I just don’t think it is wise to rub their nose in it. It’s one of the reasons they stopped attending. 

FYI - HAL and all cruise lines have a policy on kicking people off for soliciting so yes, if I am asking people to pay at the Meet and Greet,I do ask them to be discreet.   

there is always method to my madness 😂 

Captain Gundersen on the P’dam knew full well (and my Flamenco show became a HAL tour at an outrageous price)  and toasted me but not all think the same way..  Better safe than sorry.  We are on their ship with their own shore excursions so I try to respect that and not be in competition. Just my 2 cents (and a penny is worth zip in Canada). 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

Hi Janet,

Congrats on doing the work to organize the M&G. 👍 

always a pleasure to chat with you.

First of all, it is not “forbidden” to talk about private tours but it is poor form to discuss in front of officers and staff.  That can easily be done after.  That’s just how I  look at things. There will be staff there with that number and despite what the events co-ordinatiors say,I have had officers and others attend on occasion.

I just don’t think it is wise to rub their nose in it. It’s one of the reasons they stopped attending. 

FYI - HAL and all cruise lines have a policy on kicking people off for soliciting so yes, if I am asking people to pay at the Meet and Greet,I do ask them to be discreet.   

there is always method to my madness 😂 

Captain Gundersen on the P’dam knew full well (and my Flamenco show became a HAL tour at an outrageous price)  and toasted me but not all think the same way..  Better safe than sorry.  We are on their ship with their own shore excursions so I try to respect that and not be in competition. Just my 2 cents (and a penny is worth zip in Canada). 

Thank you, Jacqui!  As always, you are a wealth of helpful information.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon from central Texas.  Our high today is in the mid 90s, but I still felt hot unloading the car.  Like most things relating to hospitals, it was 11 am before the woman came with the wheel chair to take DH down to the car.  We were lucky that except for part of I-35E in Dallas, the traffic was moving, and we made pretty good time home, even with me driving.  Naturally, it took a while to get DH settled and everything out of the car and put away.  By then, I wanted a shower, which is why I'm just now getting back to the Daily.

I hope both of us can get a good night's sleep.  DH hasn't slept the past two nights, and last night I think I got about 2 hours.  While DH's pain is less than it was yesterday afternoon, there is still considerable pain, especially in his neck where they ran the catheter from the shunt down to his abdomen.  It is taking two powerful pain killers to make him comfortable, but I hope it will lessen as he heals.  This is not the easy surgery they made it sound like.  It's just an easy one for the doctors. 

DH got his flu shot this morning before we left.  That one less thing to have to schedule. 

Before I forget, please forgive any typos and iffy wording the past two days, especially this morning.  I tried to catch them, but my phone thinks it knows what a want to say better than I do.  I've noticed that even after I correct something and think is done, the phone will change it again just as I post.  As a phone it's great, but as a "word processor" it's not so great.  😁

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, thank  you for posting my pictures the last two days.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm sorry your basement is getting water in it.  I hope the sump pump will handle the water.  I can relate to using colorful language at times.  🤣

@Lady Hudson  Katherine, I hope you both are feeling better soon.

@Cruisercl  Caron, unless things are bad, I'm the sole caregiver.  We were lucky last year that our older DD and DSIL could come help for four days when things got really tough.  However, both girls are super busy at work, and the younger one just started a new job this month while still helping occasionally at her old job.  

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I hope you can get some help to relieve your nighttime pain asap.  Great pictures from Alaska.

@dobiemom  Thank you, Marcia, for the good wishes.

@Cruising-along  Carolyn, you were lucky to have clear weather to see  Denali.  The one time we camped in the park, the ranger told us they'd only had five clear days all summer.  We were there for three of them.  I was great to walk out the motorhome and see the mountain behind it.

@Nickelpenny  Penny, I'm glad you are enjoying your trip.

@AV8rix  Susan, thanks for sharing the picture of the love of your life.  I'm sorry he had to suffer so with NPH.

355276520_660603409440107_4635712659963656762_n.thumb.jpg.3b8b45e93b4627c7e735262556a5a5f1.jpg

356885292_802016954826674_5887733215258721122_n.thumb.jpg.5b7e7725f51e1c3872331b7792b7975d.jpg

358107465_250280374432629_5270591555337914637_n.thumb.jpg.4a7229f5c75a34423494011f6f10c3b3.jpg

358145366_623840996508599_6010274431985102247_n.jpg.c4a570cf86ab3b02e0144b86ee529cbd.jpg

359435037_10159158571297121_3689159289907351323_n.thumb.jpg.5f1e6a503e794f464b2029fa86217de5.jpg

359790047_675729931265921_3075983228910531690_n.thumb.jpg.f4fe53890104407780c0b494171c2b22.jpg

Lenda

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 15

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good evening.

We went to the beach for around 3 hours today.

While there we had a snack and ice cream and I fell asleep for 2 hours while Pauline was reading a book.

I hope everyone is having a nice day.

IMG_20230929_144727.jpg

Is there no limit to this. Mr. McFlurry? What’s next, cotton candy! 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

Janet, @Red Haired Lady, I so agree with Jacqui - actually, I have "borrowed" what Jacqui had posted about private tour discussions on my roll calls , on occasion (with permission...) 😉   Tours that have been arranged before the cruise are acceptable, I guess, but people aren't supposed to be "selling" their tours on the ship.  I have read that the cruise lines will break out the gangplank for that!  And paying for tours one has already signed on for should be done very discretely.

Have a great cruise.  You'll heave a sigh of relief when the M&M is over, if you're like me!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good late afternoon,

I have been busy today and I am waiting for the grands to come over. I had two good days visiting with former classmates who were in town. After we got over the OMG  of my life we moved on. 

I am happy for all our cruisers and praying for the spouses of the dailyites who are going through rough times. And yes @smitty34877 you are a hero.  You have shown selfless acts of courage  caring for DH and DS. I hope you can get help soon. 

@Lazy1 I plan to get all three of my vaccines the day after mammogram on the 19th. Might as well feel crummy all at once.  The mold count is high here and I have had trouble with my asthma. We have had lots of rain this year making it worse. I had to dig through a box to find my meds. I have not had a problem since moving into this house a year ago. 

Have a great evening everyone. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon, Dailyites!  I'm sorry to see that so many of our little family are suffering.  And thank you for keeping in touch.  RIP Dianne Feinstein.

I have been to all the fleet's ports today, and Anchorage, a few times.  There, we usually just head for Montgomery Ward's.  Pat finds good stuff there...  My wandering AirTag is enjoying Tallinn today on the Rotterdam.  It has been emailing me quite regularly on this cruise, I wonder if it has borrowed a bit of internet from @VMax1700!

• Like 10
  • Haha 9

55 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Carolyn, you were lucky to have clear weather to see  Denali.  The one time we camped in the park, the ranger told us they'd only had five clear days all summer.  We were there for three of them.  I was great to walk out the motorhome and see the mountain behind it.

We were very lucky, Lenda.  The Denali photos were taken on the ride back later in the day -- earlier the visibility wasn't as good.  We were there in early May and the weather was great overall.

I hope you and Steve both sleep well tonight.  You must be exhausted after only 2 hours' sleep last night and then the drive home!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Just reading about the rain and floods in NYC and the suburbs.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/09/29/nyregion/nyc-rain-flash-flooding

State and local government are warning people not to expect a break in the rain anytime soon.

I was pleased with the haddock baked under a bed of peppers that had been sauteed in Greek olive oil. The latest in the uproar at the synagogue is that people are sending "reply all" emails correcting other people's email addresses, but the corrections are also wrong.

• Like 16

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Janet, @Red Haired Lady, I so agree with Jacqui - actually, I have "borrowed" what Jacqui had posted about private tour discussions on my roll calls , on occasion (with permission...) 😉   Tours that have been arranged before the cruise are acceptable, I guess, but people aren't supposed to be "selling" their tours on the ship.  I have read that the cruise lines will break out the gangplank for that!  And paying for tours one has already signed on for should be done very discretely.

Have a great cruise.  You'll heave a sigh of relief when the M&M is over, if you're like me!

Thanks, Ann.  (Sorry to highjack this thread)

• Like 9

I think the biggest reason officers stopped attending Meet & Greets was sometimes Roll Call members used the get together to complain or vent frustrations. We used to host some really large Roll Calls and Meet and Greets and used to remind our Roll Call members this was the wrong place to vent.

Our front door is beautiful again.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 16