The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday September 29th, 2023

richwmn

21 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@aliaschief Are the pedals clutch, brake, gas and high beams? Does the button on the right have something to do with starting?

My grandfather had an old car that had all kinds of buttons and I'm trying to recall there being buttons on the dash?

Bingo! The button on far right was a starter button.👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@smitty34877I hope you can find some assistance for Tana soon.  

@cat shepard You are so spot on regarding the health and worry of the health of a spouse or loved one.  When DH had his first surgery on his cancer, his doc came out and talked with me.  He said that if the cancer hits the brain, he's gone.  This was back in 2008.  DH was not told that, as he was recouping in the hospital for more than a week, but I came home every day, and have known every day since, that I have today, and I have no promise for tomorrow.  When DH went into spasms while getting out of the car back in 2017, he fell, and lay there on the pavement, with his head bleeding, totally out of it, and the ambulance came, and took him to Crawford Long (because his doctors were there), I thought, this is it, but he sprung back. He's not the same, as there was some brain damage. Thing is, what the caregiver needs is some caregiving given.  A hug, a card, a call.  I have no family to speak of, adn DH's family is far away.  No one asked if they should come help.  My MIL asked if she could hire a house cleaner for me.  I'd make sure he had what he needed for the day, would head out to work, and cry at the end of the day.  And then put on the happy face when I came back home.

When I read what each and every one of you goes through with your spouses, and loved ones, I so get it.  I may not always know the right thing to say, because sometimes there is nothing I can say.  Just to let you know that I love all of you and understand what you are going through, and send a virtual hug to each and every one of you each day.

DH's cancer is now getting close to the brain.  I take each day, a day at a time.  He now understands the seriousness of his illness, which does create some hefty mood swings.

This is the reason for this big Rome to Home trip.  I think his docs know, and they are really anxious for DH to go and do this trip of a lifetime.  We really do only have today, so hug the ones you love.

Annie, thank you for what you said about caring, caregivers and being aware of time.  I think it's hard for someone who had not been in the position to be a caregiver to really understand that there are two people involved in any major illness, just in different ways.

Lenda

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Thankful for Maritime Day - imagine where we'd be without all those containers being brought to us on ships.  I tell people I lived on Broadway - well, not the Broadway in Manhattan, but still.  Confucius was a wise fellow.

The rain that was forecast for us yesterday didn't materialize so DH and I went out in the morning to tackle the leaves and cut down all the day lilies, etc.  I bought these great scoops from a garden centre that really made quick work of gathering the cuttings and tossing them into the big green bin.  At one point, I sent DH into the house to get some water for us, and I thought I'd be smart and hurry up and  move the green bin farther into the yard before he returned.  Apparently the wheels jammed on the rake he'd dropped which meant there was an abrupt stop and before I knew what was happening, I was catapulted head first directly into the green bin!   Thankfully I'm not a tiny woman, so used my heft to tip the bin over and scrambled out (covered in vegetation) before DH returned.  When he came out, I was still shaking off all the leaves, lilies and pine needles,  giggling to myself and thankful that none of the neighbours could have witnessed what just happened.  Thankfully all that was bruised was my pride.

@Quartzsite Cruisergood to hear your DH is feeling less pain this morning and hope that you'll be able to go home and get some rest.

@HAL Sailer sending love and prayers your way; it's so difficult watching our spouses in hospital.  I pray for a good outcome for your DH.

@rafinmd Bon Voyage!

Not a lot on the calendar today, but I'll be having lunch with Fran, our friend's new lady who will be joining us on the cruise in February.  I think it will be nice getting to know her on a one to one basis without the fellows there.  Guys generally aren't interested in clothing, packing techniques, etc., so it should be fun.

I'm sure I'd like the drink of the day, would definitely enjoy the wine, and think the menu suggestion sounds very good.  At our house it's Friday night, pizza night, so I'll let DH choose whatever suits him for our dinner that we can enjoy on the deck tonight.  And wine.   And for @marshhawk yesterday I said "and beer" because it was Beer Day and I indicated we'd have beer instead of wine last night.  LOL

Prayers for everyone who has troubles, cheers for all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 31
  • Haha 1

@marshhawkAnnie, I understand all too well the situation you and DH are in and I have realized that you are managing everything  on your own. My DD and DSIL work from home and had to drop what they were doing many times to physically help with our two patients.I am very fortunate to have all of that help. Please know I think of you often and send my prayers and hugs.

@dfishDebbie, you are very kind but I laughed at being a hero. Believe me, there are days when I  walk down the hall here swearing like a sailor and hope no one hears me!

@Seasick Sailor Joy, well ,the basement has water in it already but hopefully the sump pump will manage. The water is presently running through the patio area and down the driveway.I feel for the people in downtown Yonkers who already have six inches of water in the streets. Yikes

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, HAL Sailer said:

Daily-ites, 

I haven't caught up with the past three days and will try to read them later. But wanted you to know my DH has been hospitalized with outcomes uncertain.

He didn't feel well Monday, started coughing Tuesday, and by Wednesday he was gasping for breath with increasing temperature and chest wheezing & rattling plus pain. He was taken to Emergency.

At ER, he was whisked into a room already filled with doctors & nurses as triage recorded a life-threatening 154bpm heart rate. His heart was in A-Fibrillation. His temperature had reached 103°F. DH was COVID negative but had pneumonia plus he was unable to maintain proper oxygen saturation.

He was admitted to our highly regarded multi-floor Heart Unit. DH's longtime Cardiologist and a locally beloved PCP turned Hospitalist are treating him. He is getting great care. But, these new medical issues plus his recently increasing leg weakness and multiple falls (despite ongoing physical therapy) make his future situation uncertain. When he is able to leave the hospital, a rehab is likely, but his overall debilitation puts a return home in question.

I'm doing okay. I'm remaining hopeful but realistic. Prayers would be appreciated,

-Melisa 

So sorry to read this, Melisa.  Prayers for you and your DH.  

• Like 21

1 hour ago, Denise T said:

Happy Friday! Thank you for the daily and fleet reports. 

Rainy day today. Nothing like being home with an unhappy dog that just wants to lay in the sun. Working from home today. 

Feeling somewhat better. Sticking to a bland diet for a few days. 

The meal and drink of the day sound good. 

I was in Anchorage at the end of May for our sailing on Nieuw Amsterdam from Whittier to Vancouver. Unfortunately, due to flight delays, we did not get to our hotel in Anchorage until after midnight, so we were unable to visit Anchorage more. 

We did board the cruise train in Anchorage. 

20230528_124622.thumb.jpg.f68ff7f5914751c67b581c8eb1585cc5.jpg

Some scenes on the way from Anchorage to Whittier. It was rather a soggy day. 

20230528_131007 - Copy.jpg

20230528_132318.jpg

20230528_132419.jpg

20230528_133321.jpg

20230528_142855.jpg

20230528_143833.jpg

20230528_144655.jpg

20230527_223620.jpg

20230528_011935.jpg

20230528_011943.jpg

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Denise T, I always tell the Misses to much mousse!

IMG_1300.thumb.png.fef110fa3d9a14b5de7322d43390e0d5.png

• Like 7
  • Haha 15

DH Bill and I are home after an interesting trip north.  Bill is still coughing and sneezing and I seem to have picked up something as well.  We spent most of yesterday sleeping once we got home.  I will pick up some take out today and do some real grocery shopping tomorrow.

Prayers for all in need.  Best wishes to

Roy as he starts his voyage.  Katherine 

• Like 28

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

and then on to our final stop, the tourist candy store, which had a great cairn outside- I guess this is the Stone Man

image.thumb.png.0d292b4845cfc9dfae399011ac18cb73.png

This is called an inukshuk.  It means "likeness of a human".   They were built by Indigenous People throughout the north and served as markers to guide people, warn people and mark sacred places.   Some are very small, some are very large. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 7

Good Friday morning everyone,

First I want to thank all of the contributors to this thread; it is all good for my heart and soul.

It is a dreary day here today, cloudy, very rainy and thunderstorms going on.

@StLouisCruisers, yes, the TV told me it is also National Coffee day which is consumed by 63% of people in the US, according to a poll on the news...lol. IMO it is second only to wine as being a favorite drink which may depend on the time of day for consumption. 😊

@Quartzsite Cruiserit sounds like good news on DH especially with having less pain. Happy he is able to go home; hope you have some help for when you care for him at home sionce you will be the 100% caretaker. You are both in this together.

@HAL Sailer prayers for your DH and you on the health challenges happening now. Hope they are able to diagnose and come up with a good plan of care for him. Please take care of yourself also, prayers for you both.

I have been to Anchorage a few times, always a nice visit. It is a small city, rustic but very interesting because of the lifestyle, IMO.  The mural @StLouisCruisers showed us a picture of is a mural painted by the artist Wyland, he does beautiful work. He is a global advocate for marine and ocean life. He has done many of those ocean and whale murals all over the world for free to bring awareness to the issues. He also painted a mural on the side of the ship the NCL Bliss; it is beautiful.

@smitty34877 hope your day goes well, you have had a challenging time of it. Please take care of yourself too though it can be tough to do as a caretaker and the loss of your DH.

@rafinmd and @cruzn single Bon Voyage and safe travels!!! 

Prayers for all of us and extra prayers for all with health challenges and any other difficulties that life can give us.

Celebrate all of your joys, we deserve them.

Have a good day all!

Caron

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ottahand7 said:

David Zinman's (former BSO conductor) piano instructor at Oberlin College

Do you remember her name? She was probably still on the faculty when I was a student (and since he graduated ca. 1961, must be close to 90 now, if not older).

• Like 15

2 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

Daily-ites, 

I haven't caught up with the past three days and will try to read them later. But wanted you to know my DH has been hospitalized with outcomes uncertain.

He didn't feel well Monday, started coughing Tuesday, and by Wednesday he was gasping for breath with increasing temperature and chest wheezing & rattling plus pain. He was taken to Emergency.

At ER, he was whisked into a room already filled with doctors & nurses as triage recorded a life-threatening 154bpm heart rate. His heart was in A-Fibrillation. His temperature had reached 103°F. DH was COVID negative but had pneumonia plus he was unable to maintain proper oxygen saturation.

He was admitted to our highly regarded multi-floor Heart Unit. DH's longtime Cardiologist and a locally beloved PCP turned Hospitalist are treating him. He is getting great care. But, these new medical issues plus his recently increasing leg weakness and multiple falls (despite ongoing physical therapy) make his future situation uncertain. When he is able to leave the hospital, a rehab is likely, but his overall debilitation puts a return home in question.

I'm doing okay. I'm remaining hopeful but realistic. Prayers would be appreciated,

-Melisa 

Prayers and best wishes are on the way. It sounds like he is getting good care.

Susan

• Like 21

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

I'm sure all cruisers can celebrate World Mariner Day. I like Broadway (and the West End in London). In elementary school we took trips to Broadway, since it wasn't that far. Confucius  was wise. True quote. Pass on the meal (fish) and drink. Yes to the wine. I have been to Anchorage and Denali. In Anchorage we went to Portage Glacier and did a seaplane tour. 2 good days in history.

It's somewhat sunny and going up to 75. A nice weekend is predicted too. I had another bad night, being awakened with pain and having to sit up. You can't sleep that way. I hope the Physical Medicine doctor on Monday has some ideas to help. I need to get the lawn mowed sometime this weekend. 

@rafinmd Bon Voyage! Have a great cruise!

@kazu I'm sure your BFF appreciates the support.

@StLouisCruisers Lovely photos and thanks for posting Lenda's too.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Going home today, you'll be where you can get better rest and Steve can recover. Safe trip home.

@0106 Congrats to your Orioles!

@HAL Sailer Many prayers for your DH, that he responds to treatment.

@smitty34877 I'm so sorry that it's so hard to find an aide for Tana. I hope you can get some rest for yourself. Stay safe with the flooding. Prayers for you and the family.

@Denise T I'm glad you're feeling somewhat better. Thanks for the photos.

@marshhawk Nice photos.

@Seasick Sailor Nice photo of Allen. Nice of that guy to help out and put Allen back in the chair.

@ger_77 Oh my on the tumble into the green bin! I'm glad nothing was damaged but your pride.

@Lady Hudson Welcome home, but sorry to hear you're both not completely well.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those with something to Celebrate.

A few pictures from Denali. 

In Denali Park

0791.thumb.JPG.bb5c39ad3dd2c7e3cfce73487b1b1907.JPG

Bears

1597754417_0816-Bears.thumb.JPG.004e7f6b23ab56646b4f3935eefff738.JPG

Caribou

0844.thumb.JPG.062fb18d86fa469a6f50275d14a6245c.JPG

Denali Flight Seeing tour

1644605700_0859b-TheIntrepidFlyers.thumb.JPG.e8017f0d1b0421227090430833ffffc6.JPG

Rainbow in the sky

238459698_0874-Rainbowinthesky.thumb.JPG.3b2f089da4cbc70d30ffc14a8f36c1cc.JPG

Breaking through the clouds. Denali's 2 peaks, which are 2 miles apart!

1360819878_0882-Denalis2peakswhichare2milesapart.thumb.JPG.da1a2c9aa5c895e7bcaf6991c303e1f7.JPG

Circling around Denali

0884.thumb.JPG.1fbe7751e5f842b5155693969467ad42.JPG

1615600739_0895-GoingaroundDenali.thumb.JPG.3d196284c60c55e229eac234111b202d.JPG

• Like 26
  • Thanks 9

It's also world coffee day, which is much more important.

The meal suggestion would be OK with me, but I'm actually making haddock with sauteed peppers (the peppers that I intended to cook yesterday, but wasn't patient enough after a class that ended at 7:00 p.m.). Pass on the cocktail. There are a few  organic wineries in the Finger Lakes, including one that is Demeter biodynamic certified, but I couldn't find one that makes an organic Cabernet Sauvignon. Instead, here's a Cabernet Franc from Herman J. Wiemer, which has been biodynamic at its estate vineyard since about 2014. A 2020 cruise that would have taken me to the mainland of Alaska was cancelled, of course.

I'm not getting a covid jab today: CVS here hasn't received the Moderna vaccination, which is the only one administered at that location. I've booked for Pfizer tomorrow at Rite-Aid, even though it's not a preferred pharmacy in my Part D plan; Walgreens, which is, has no availability nearer than about 40 miles.

I seem to have spent most of the past few days fighting fires having to do with volunteer work at the synagogue, all revolving around coverage for the rabbi's vacation. Everything was arranged, until ignorant busybodies chose to interfere. That, and the vaccination issue, plus a nerve-wracking class yesterday, have me pretty annoyed.

barbecuevswitchcraft.jpg.7e6d18bb7dbe943f6d463fa653d89fad.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

As it stands now, DH will be discharged about 10am.  The resident was in very early this morning and he discharged DH.  The surgeon will not be coming.  We haven't seen him since the surgery.

We allow two hours to get home in case of tie ups or accidents.

DH did some reading this morning.  It turns out it takes longer for the symptoms to disappear after surgery than after the lumbar puncture.  At will be about a month before they will know if the shunt need adjusting.

Lenda

Safe travels home. Prayers for continued healing. 🙏 

• Like 18

50 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Do you remember her name? She was probably still on the faculty when I was a student (and since he graduated ca. 1961, must be close to 90 now, if not older).

Her name is Barbro Jung.   She is blind now.   😥

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Good morning and many thanks to contributors here.  The many wonderful Alaska photos bring back happy memories for many of us.  That's a trip that is easy to do for many.

Tough to read the Daily today.  @HAL Sailer Melisa, prayers are with you and your husband.  @smitty34877 Terry, you didn't need flooding to add to your difficulties.  I sure hope a new aide comes to you soon.  Such tough times you're having!

It will be a quiet day here today.  I got dressed up to go out to dinner last night and was confused when DH came in and asked what's for dinner.  I had the wrong day.  He was kind enough to take me out for delicious Thai food, since I was all dressed up with no place to go.  

Thinking of all of you today.  One day at a time, right?  Praying this one day is a good one for everybody.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good Friday morning.

Thank you to Rich for the Daily and Fleet Report and getting us going today.

I like the combination of days.  World Maritime Day—Since i love cruising, what’s not to love about this day.  Broadway Day—Well, being a former New Yorker(It will always be in my blood) I loved going to Broad way shows.  Next year we are doing a cruise that starts in NY.  Maybe we will go a day or two early and catch a show.  We’ll see where we are at that point.  Confucius—wise man.

Although I have been to Alaska, i have not been to Anchorage.

I like the quote by good old Abe.

There are so many people that need our prayers.

Baby Murphy is on the top of my list every day.  So are her parents who must be going through their own kind of turmoil.

@HAL Sailer prayers for your DH and you as you go through this difficult time.  i pray that DH recovers and that you make the right decisions regarding his care.  I hope you have a support system to help you.

@smitty34877 You are in my prayers everyday.  You have held up through so much and i admire how you keep going.  Prayers that you find another aide for Tana.  I am happy you are surrounded by family that is able to help you and support you.  

@Quartzsite Cruiser glad that DH is well enough to return home today.  Glad the surgery went well Prayers for his continued recovery.  Safe travels.

@marshhawk Thank you for your reflections on caregiving.  Having been in a caregiving situation with both my Mom and DBIL for a good part of my life, I understand what you are going through and what you are saying.  As for the need for support, it is so important.  I also realize that very soon I feel that I will again be in that situation again as it is very apparent that his memory is a problem.  As I have no family on either side, I will be alone with caring for DH. Like you, this will be our last big trip and our final trip to Europe.  We will do what we can and enjoy every minute together.

@rafinmdRoy, enjoy your cruises.  Can’t wait to read your blog and keep up with your trip.  Make sure to get enough rest.

Thank you all for liking my photos of my living room.  We just bought the lamps, which perfectly match the other furniture.

After reading of so many sad stories here today, my floor problems are a first world problem.  I will deal with it.

Prayers for everyone and cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

Another good collection of days.  Will pass on the drink, wine and meal, although the last recipe Debbie provided would be good (minus the mushrooms) 😉 I like onions, but not that much with fish.  DH is working at the Mariners' today, and I'll be having left overs of chicken salad in pita bread.

We're going to have 3 days of sunshine!  That means getting out in the garden to do some fall clean up. Gerry @ger_77 I'll be thinking of you while I push our big green bin around 😉  That sounds so much like something I'd do and have come close to doing!  🤣

Our local pharmacy has all the vaccines in stock, and we have appointments to get our RSV vaccines on Monday.  We plan to get the 3 vaccines a month apart, ending with the Covid vaccine a month before the cruise.  Yesterday we went shopping, DH needed a new suit -- and perfect timing, Macys is having a big sale!  Very happy with what he got and especially the prices.

Melisa @HAL Sailer Prayers and hugs for you and your DH.

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser I'm very happy to hear that Steve's pain is less today and that you can go home.  Safe travels!

Terry @smitty34877 Oh no on the flooding worries and I'm sorry to hear you haven't found a new aide yet for Tana. You and your strength are an inspiration for all of us.

@Denise T I'm glad you're feeling a little better.

Vanessa @JazzyV I'm so sorry you're still dealing with so much pain -- prayers and hugs!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Oops, I forgot to add my photos from Denali.  We didn't spend much time in Anchorage, so won't post those.

We did the Triple Denali  with my best friend and her DH.  It was a great trip!

434499108_McKinleyExplorer.jpg.a3867d92a31ad94cbbdeefd010b6351b.jpg

243677586_Denalimountain.jpg.b4b3dc542ea3eef57f1627fdd8085832.jpg

1282201715_Denaliandtrees.jpg.a1015cbb80e131c2c6f95fc42ee3e0d2.jpg

Our building

2103947612_Ourbuilding.jpg.000fd71ca5b55a413c770c819080a090.jpg

McKinley Chalet Resort

1854380718_McKinleyChaletResort.jpg.c9e90baaa8353f8a25c0e6bf98ada41b.jpg

A moose we saw

Moose.jpg.03a4ba36f81d00a6b6972f9612d84321.jpg

The only view we got of this bear was from the bus camera

1898910220_bearfromcamera.jpg.a15c90a9d4dac2ac0d5d56f7fc64995d.jpg

DH got this shot of a "camouflaged" wolf.

1509090692_camoflaugedwolf.jpg.35cf2d4f9ceee6bfac3d1fd08076ad29.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 6

Good morning to all and thanks for the daily and fleet reports. Good collection of days and I think I would like the food, drink and wine. Been to Anchorage and Denali a couple of times when I was on assignment in Barrow and Bethel AK.  

So sorry to read the several dailyites with health issues. You are in my thoughts. Roy I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

it was cold and rainy here yesterday and last night we went to my friend’s neighbor for a very nice gathering with apps and drinks. I am enjoying myself. It is much different than Tucson with the pine trees and right by a creek. 

thoughts for those on the care list and cheers for those celebrating!!  

have a great day everyone!

• Like 22