"Pax"

1 hour ago, puppycanducruise said:

@CDNPolar Don't forget   ROFLCGU - Rolling on the Floor Laughing, Can't Get Up.

Of course the utility of such abbreviations seems to wane as they lengthen : why stop with CGU, which leaves the reader wondering, perhaps it should  continue with UIHTGTTT (until I have to go to the toilet).

• Haha 2

On 3/3/2024 at 2:27 AM, kmorg1234 said:

Sorry, no.  Just no.  It is an official abbreviation.  I am sorry that it offends you.  

Official abbreviation? I know governments and NGOs can be intrusive, pesky, tiresome and over-reaching but is there an official global body or council of elites approving abbreviations? 😉

• Haha 2

On 3/3/2024 at 1:58 PM, EatonDoolittle said:

Maybe OP is offended because Pax is Latin for peace.

If you spend any amount of time on Cruise Critic, it seems there is not a lot of peace aboard some ships and in some passenger's minds. 

When I was a nipper, kids who got into a dispute or a fight would agree a ceasefire by linking fingers with the opponent & both saying "Pax".

Yes, we all spoke Latin in those days. 😃

JB 🙂

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, John Bull said:

When I was a nipper, kids who got into a dispute or a fight would agree a ceasefire by linking fingers with the opponent & both saying "Pax".

JB 🙂

....and people ask "What did the Romans ever do for us?"

😉🤣

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, John Bull said:

JB 🙂

Now someone will demand we not use terms only certain countries or cultures would understand,  like "nipper"! 😉

7 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

This whole discussion puts a smile on my face.

We can always add these...  These are joking at seniors, but I find them amusing as I get older.  How we can take the abbreviations and adapt them as we age.

image.thumb.png.b1a162d7a43ee622ac0b866039e82dba.png

You left out SKI = Spending Kids' Inheritance

That's one of my favorites. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, K32682 said:

Official abbreviation? I know governments and NGOs can be intrusive, pesky, tiresome and over-reaching but is there an official global body or council of elites approving abbreviations? 😉

OK, fine. Apparently we've reached the nit picking phase. How about 'industry accepted' abbreviation then? Because it is used by most, if not all, commercial transportation industries- cruise, plane, train, bus/coach, in reference to passengers. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mom says said:

OK, fine. Apparently we've reached the nit picking phase. How about 'industry accepted' abbreviation then? Because it is used by most, if not all, commercial transportation industries- cruise, plane, train, bus/coach, in reference to passengers. 

Nit picking is where this thread began.🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

You left out SKI = Spending Kids' Inheritance

That's one of my favorites. 😁

I work at a SKI lodge.  For the money people paid to buy in the lodge, they definitely SKI'd 😸

I'm bored to tears tonight at the Lodge.  Thank goodness I found this thread!!

• Haha 1

On 3/3/2024 at 9:18 AM, Kristelle said:

Agreed - why? - everyone knows what it means. Same as it means on all forums. Clearly you do too OP (there's another well known abbreviation, I'm not typing out Original Poster every time either)  so not seeing what the problem is.

I actually didnt know. But was too scared to ask. So at least the OP has educated me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/3/2024 at 6:27 AM, BobbiFlekman said:

To those that use "Pax" - please just type the word "passenger". It will only take a couple of extra seconds.

Not wishing to be a pedant(again) but, when it comes to cruising are we actually passengers?

We would be on a bus going from A to B, or a taxi or a Ferry, but not on a cruise, surely?

The word passenger isnt special enough.😁

21 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

This whole discussion puts a smile on my face.

We can always add these...  These are joking at seniors, but I find them amusing as I get older.  How we can take the abbreviations and adapt them as we age.

image.thumb.png.b1a162d7a43ee622ac0b866039e82dba.png

those are so much better than the real ones.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Not wishing to be a pedant(again) but, when it comes to cruising are we actually passengers?

We would be on a bus going from A to B, or a taxi or a Ferry, but not on a cruise, surely?

We are still passengers, but most of us are on a round trip journey. The destination doesn't change our status.

6 hours ago, DarrenM said:

The definition of passenger under SOLAS is 

Every passenger is a person other than:

- The Master and the members of the crew or other persons employed or engaged in any capacity on board a ship on the business of that ship, and

- A child < 1 year of age.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, DarrenM said:

"Surely".... what?

If the people who are eating and sleeping on the ship as it floats around are not "passengers", what would *you* call them?

The only other thing I can think of is that some of us arrive ON the ship as "passengers", but after indulging in the unlimited food for days or weeks, when we disembark, we might need to be rolled off as "cargo".

Or as was mention previously, "cargo that complains"! 😁

But seriously, what do YOU think they/we should be called??

GC

• Haha 6

On 3/2/2024 at 10:27 PM, BobbiFlekman said:

To those that use "Pax" - please just type the word "passenger". It will only take a couple of extra seconds.

I used to work for an airline and the word was pax.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 3:12 PM, slidergirl said:

I work at a SKI lodge

Did you see that Tahoe got up to TEN FEET of snow and 190mph wind gusts.

17 hours ago, DarrenM said:

The word passenger describes precisely what the folks who pay to go on a cruise ship’s itinerary.  They have booked passage and are passengers.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

"Surely".... what?

If the people who are eating and sleeping on the ship as it floats around are not "passengers", what would *you* call them?

The only other thing I can think of is that some of us arrive ON the ship as "passengers", but after indulging in the unlimited food for days or weeks, when we disembark, we might need to be rolled off as "cargo".

Or as was mention previously, "cargo that complains"! 😁

But seriously, what do YOU think they/we should be called??

GC

Pax is ok with me. I have noticed that some cruise lines prefer to call us guests, and they have a Guest Services desk rather than a Passenger Services desk. There seems to be significant overlap with cruise lines who like to describe their cabins as staterooms. I personally prefer to be a passenger in a cabin. I’m not in a hotel, I’m on a ship and I’m going somewhere, if only around in a big circle. If I was looking for a “hotel experience”, I’d be staying in a hotel. 

• Like 2

My father was a CSM serving at JFHQ in BAOR, and 2I/C to the SNCO in the RA, .

During a NATO exercise he needed 50 Battle Bowlers to be delivered by Fat Albert to his FLOT.

Because QMS always halved requisitions he requested 100 Battle Bowlers.

But the IOC of QMS was a TA Rupert CQMS, and sent him the 100 Battle Bowlers that he'd requested.🙄

They ended up using the extra 50 for their scran 🤣🤣🤣

Funny story, eh ?

JB 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 8