"Pax"

Agreed - why? - everyone knows what it means. Same as it means on all forums. Clearly you do too OP (there's another well known abbreviation, I'm not typing out Original Poster every time either)  so not seeing what the problem is.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

AFAIK 😄  It is an abbreviation that is used in the industry so why not on a forum? There are numerous others in use ... a lot of which are not understood by different nationalities. 

Where do you draw the line on what is and is not an acceptable abbreviation?

Agree with the above. Abbreviations save time and they are used in a wide variety of forums, not just cruise critic. If we stop using pax does that mean we stop using AFAIK, OBC, DW, DH, EST, LAX, etc. and etc.? 

The use of abbreviations doesn't bother me ... most are self explanatory and those that aren't can be researched on Google ... if it is that necessary.

Two things cause me the odd raised eyebrow. One is when people put a 'part' name of a ship and expect everyone to know which ship they mean. Odyssey  was a well used one. More than one ship has/had Odyssey as part of its name. As stated, a couple of extra seconds? 

The second is a personal gripe ...people who misspell the name of a place they are visiting.

I would give an example of " carribbean " .... without even a capital letter?

I am getting grumpy in my old age 🤨

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BobbiFlekman said:

To those that use "Pax" - please just type the word "passenger". It will only take a couple of extra seconds.

OMG🤪 Really?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, MBP&O2/O said:

The use of abbreviations doesn't bother me ... most are self explanatory and those that aren't can be researched on Google ... if it is that necessary.

Two things cause me the odd raised eyebrow. One is when people put a 'part' name of a ship and expect everyone to know which ship they mean. Odyssey  was a well used one. More than one ship has/had Odyssey as part of its name. As stated, a couple of extra seconds? 

The second is a personal gripe ...people who misspell the name of a place they are visiting.

I would give an example of " carribbean " .... without even a capital letter?

I am getting grumpy in my old age 🤨

I am afraid that resolving your concerns would entail re-structuring the entire elementary school curricula - on both sides of the Atlantic:  spelling, along with grammar and vocabulary seem to have been largely dropped.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, BobbiFlekman said:

To those that use "Pax" - please just type the word "passenger". It will only take a couple of extra seconds.

and are we to also stop  using MDR instead of  Main Dining Room?😀  and Roll Call instead of RC?

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BobbiFlekman said:

A CC (Ooops, "CruiseCritic") member recently (only 2-3 weeks ago) started this very mysterious thread:

"MDR"? 

Typing the words out "will only take a couple of extra seconds."

😉 

GC

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

that wonderful period in Roman history:

and a small piece of that Roman history will be displayed in Edinburgh following its loan to the British Museum in London. It is a brass arm guard dating from the 2nd C AD, one of only three known in the world and incredibly rare.

(Thought you might be interested in this very recent announcement.😀)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BobbiFlekman said:

I didn't even know what it meant till ypu posted this. So thanks.

4 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

and a small piece of that Roman history will be displayed in Edinburgh following its loan to the British Museum in London. It is a brass arm guard dating from the 2nd C AD, one of only three known in the world and incredibly rare.

(Thought you might be interested in this very recent announcement.😀)

Thank you for that tidbit. I was already planning to attend the special exhibit at the British Museum ("Life in the Roman Army") for which this is being lent. I will certainly look for this!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I will certainly look for this!

Description of the recreation of it (it was a Roman jigsaw with multiple fragments)and images online.😀

This whole discussion puts a smile on my face.

We can always add these...  These are joking at seniors, but I find them amusing as I get older.  How we can take the abbreviations and adapt them as we age.

image.thumb.png.b1a162d7a43ee622ac0b866039e82dba.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 7