Medical ?

Cruisegirl6

Hello,

I having the last of my tests tomorrow only the results will be given to the surgeon friday or monday.  I will be on the Beyond this saturday, if I need medication, does anybody know whether I can get it from the ships doctor?  I am sure I can print out the prescription.  

15 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Hello,

I having the last of my tests tomorrow only the results will be given to the surgeon friday or monday.  I will be on the Beyond this saturday, if I need medication, does anybody know whether I can get it from the ships doctor?  I am sure I can print out the prescription.  

Might be able to buy at first port if you have the script.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

What is your itinerary?

Aruba is the first port, I know there are pharmacies there plus I go there twice a year on a land based trip and have friends who live there that I am sure can guide me where to go.  Just was wondering if ships doctor can suspend meds.  

1 minute ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Aruba is the first port, I know there are pharmacies there plus I go there twice a year on a land based trip and have friends who live there that I am sure can guide me where to go.  Just was wondering if ships doctor can suspend meds.  

You can't even be sure that your local pharmacies will have this 'mystery medication' in stock for a same day fill, especially if it has to be compounded.  Even if the ship was willing to play pharmacy, how could anyone here know if it's even available either aboard or en route?

You need to plan on filling before you board or potentially do without for the duration of your cruise.

• Like 3

The ships doctor will not dispense routine prescribed meds; if that's what you mean by "suspend". 

And a prescription written in the US will not be filled in another country, unless your doctor is also licensed to practice there. You would need to see a physician in your first port of call, explain your situation, perhaps provide test results or doctors notes, get a prescription from that local doctor, and then get it filled at a local pharmacy. The pharmacy  may or may not have the drug on hand for an immediate  fill.

Call th doctor who ordered the test and ask them to bump up the priority of the results. Explain why you would need any new prescription on Friday, so you could get it filled before embarkation. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Hello,

The ships doctor will not fill a prescription from your doctor. You will need to arrange to get what you require at home before you leave for the cruise.

• Like 1

If Mexico is on your itin, you may be able to get the medication there...again, assuming they have it in stock.  They do not require an RX but it would be good to have it to ensure that you are getting the correct medication as their labels are in Spanish.  I had to get an rx filled in Mexico once for an eye infection.  My doctor called in the script but they didn't need a physical copy, just the name of the medication.  The first place we went didn't have it but the second place did.

How long is your cruise. It sounds like you could have the prescription filled at your home pharmacy by the time you return. If your doctor does not get the results until sometime Monday it will most likely be  a few days until a determination on meds is made.

Prayers and best wishes on a good outcome.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Hello,

I having the last of my tests tomorrow only the results will be given to the surgeon friday or monday.  I will be on the Beyond

cozumelthis saturday, if I need medication, does anybody know whether I can get it from the ships doctor?  I am sure I can print out the prescription.  

make arrangements with your dr for  meds you may need..  Cozumel has a good pharmacy but success elsewhere may be quite iffy

My experience has been on the negative side.   I was traveling in the U.S. and needed a refill.   Was told my prescription could only be filled in the State that My Doctor was licensed. 

If in Mexico or many South American Countries you should be able to go to any pharmacy and they will sell you most anything without a prescription.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

My experience has been on the negative side.   I was traveling in the U.S. and needed a refill.   Was told my prescription could only be filled in the State that My Doctor was licensed. 

If in Mexico or many South American Countries you should be able to go to any pharmacy and they will sell you most anything without a prescription.  

agree. But might be generic and there are many that dont respond or have the same effect with generic.  

Just fill it out at your local pharmacy. ask doc to fax asap

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

How long is your cruise. It sounds like you could have the prescription filled at your home pharmacy by the time you return. If your doctor does not get the results until sometime Monday it will most likely be  a few days until a determination on meds is made.

Prayers and best wishes on a good outcome.

Hello, the cruise is 8 nights ABC islands.  I have peripheral artery disease in both legs and an ankle and dealing with that, now I have balance/gait issues that they feel is due to nerve damage.  I am taking nerve conduction testing tomorrow, the results will be in on monday and I will be on the cruise.  I guess if I went all these weeks feeling like I am falling or passing out I can get through another week.  I just figured if the doctor ordered like prednisone or something that is common that I be able to get it and start it immediately.  There is a small chance the doctor get the results friday then I be able to get the medication, if there is one to give me, or monday the latest.  I thank you for your kindness, your help and god bless you.

same thoughts as Zitsky. You have some nasty symptoms. Feeling like you are falling…not good. Sounds as though your balance is off, or sensation, but then you are going on a ship.  Definitely not the same as being onland  The waters between Florida and the ABC s can be a bit rocky. 

2ndly.  Health Insurance?..     Does your doctor know you are travelling?  perhaps he can assist you in making the best decision,   Best wishes

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Hello,

I hope this will work out for you, I applaud your spirit!  Best of luck.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Hello, the cruise is 8 nights ABC islands.  I have peripheral artery disease in both legs and an ankle and dealing with that, now I have balance/gait issues that they feel is due to nerve damage.  I am taking nerve conduction testing tomorrow, the results will be in on monday and I will be on the cruise.  I guess if I went all these weeks feeling like I am falling or passing out I can get through another week.  I just figured if the doctor ordered like prednisone or something that is common that I be able to get it and start it immediately.  There is a small chance the doctor get the results friday then I be able to get the medication, if there is one to give me, or monday the latest.  I thank you for your kindness, your help and god bless you.

Please discuss your cruise plans, as well as the concern about getting necessary medication while away, with your physician.  It may be inadvisable for you to sail at this time with balance and gait issues unless you are prepared to possibly make your way around the ship using a cane, walker or mobility scooter.  Or it may just simply be inadvisable.  You and your physician need to make that determination together.

If your physician clears you to sail, he can go over any risks that would be posed by your doing so prior to a full review of all test results and proper dispense of any Rx that may be indicated.  Frankly, I would expect any licensed and competent physician would refuse to "call in" or send a new prescription to a pharmacy/drug store in a foreign country on your behalf before discussing with you the results and proposed treatment plan. 

And please, whatever you do, DO NOT walk into a business in Mexico (or any other foreign country) and ask for any type of medication.  First, there is a risk (perhaps substantial) that what they will provide you will not be genuine, pure, effective or unaltered.  Do you have any idea how many American citizens have died as a result of ingesting fentanyl-laced pills that were brought into the US from Mexico?  Many thousands.

Even if what you receive is genuine and safe, when you fill an Rx at your local pharmacy, the pharmacist knows what you are currently taking, whether you have any allergies and so on.  If there is the potential for adverse drug interactions or allergic reaction, the pharmacist can consult with your physician before dispensing.  And when dispensing a medication that is new to you, your local pharmacist will provide you instructions on how and when to take the medication and what side effects, if any, to expect.

Finally, from a legal standpoint, acquiring or attempting to acquire anything you would consider "prescription medication" in a foreign country can expose you to adverse consequences, including arrest and imprisonment.  It is simply unwise.

Again, I urge you to speak with your physician about your travel plans and your desire to acquire appropriate medication while on your cruise.  I suspect that if the physician does indicate it is okay for you to sail, since this appears to be a chronic condition, he/she will not discuss any treatment plan or prescribe any new medications for you until you have returned.  If so, please be sure you understand the risks of sailing without having a treatment plan in place.  And discuss with him/her what mobility assistance is appropriate to best ensure that you can cruise safely and minimize your risk of injury from a fall onboard.

Best wishes.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

These medications can also be extremely expensive.  I have a prescription for a controlled substance in the US.  My insurance doesn't pay for it and it is approx $25 a month.  I checked it out at a pharmacy in Mexico and they wanted $200 for a one month supply!  Also, before someone chimes in, I'm aware it would be illegal to bring that back to the states.  I was checking more out of curiosity than anything else.

Edited by sanger727

11 hours ago, zitsky said:

Celebrity may sometimes let you reschedule.  I’m surprised you want to go.

Your right about being surprised I want to go, but I am strong, I try never to give up and I been living with these issues for 9 weeks now.  The way I see it, if my life is going to be shortened, its more important that I go.   Perhaps not taking care of my pets, doing things around the house, fixing the bed, etc., to not have to do these things will probably give me the rest I need.  A little sunshine can do me good and the sea always made my inflammations feel better.

3 hours ago, gold1953 said:

Since you have a known pre existing condition if you need medical care then it likely won't cover you

The international medical insurance I always have when traveling covers pre-existing conditions.