New gratuities by May 1st, 2016

Here's a suggestion: Look for a cruise in which you are interested. Price it out. I don't care if they call it a gratuity, a service charge or just a cheapskate recovery fee. If the total cost is worth it to you, book it and enjoy your vacation. If it's not, shut up, stop crying like a child and move on.
:):):)

icon1.gif

It took a while just to read through this thread. I like the auto gratuity as it covers the many staff that work hard to make sure I have a great cruise experience. My kids must eat 50 slices of pizza and no tip there. I only interact with a very few staff, yet there are so many on board. We give extra to the conciege, the cabin steward, lounge staff (either in the CL or DL; we go to both) and wait staff. If you think about all of the staff that ensures you have a great cruise, we only interact with a very few of them. For the other one off encounters like bartenders or specialty restaurant staff, they also get a little extra. My father's best advice to me was never take a job where you have to interact with the general public (point made on this thread). Second was to be generous to those people work hard to make your life better.

Your Father was a wise man.

I'm confused, can someone help me out?:confused::confused:

We're going on the Allure Jan 2017.

I have prepaid gratuities on my booking.

I have made a deposit but not final payment.

Will I be on the "old" rate or the "new" rate?

Thanks.

Old rate.

If you don't agree with the increase, after you board the ship, have Guest Services

reduce the gratuities back to $12.95. This way you don't have to prepay, in case you

want to use OBC to cover your tips! Have a wonderful cruise!

I will not pay the outrageous amount requested. I believe the extra is not going to the staff but going to RCL'S bottom line.

If you truly believe this, then you need to NOT cruise on Royal Caribbean. How can you even CONSIDER supporting such a dishonest company?

I have not gotten an email and I have a cruise booked far enough out that will see the increased gratuity. I have not gotten an email from RCCL announcing this new policy. The only way I found out about it is that I am active on Cruise Critic right now.

So, while it is posted it is not very well publicized. A courtesy email to RCCL Crown and Anchor Members and/or those who have a cruise reserved prior to announcing the new policy is appropriate. I don't have an issue paying gratuity or what I signed up for, but, I don't like things changing after the fact.

I am cruising on May 28th and I received an email today at around 4:30pm local time.

I chose to pre-pay my gratuities when I booked the cruise so I should be good, right?

I like the auto gratuity as it covers the many staff that work hard to make sure I have a great cruise experience. My kids must eat 50 slices of pizza and no tip there. I only interact with a very few staff, yet there are so many on board........... Second was to be generous to those people work hard to make your life better.

We like the auto gratuity process but what we won't do is pre-pay it with our final payment. There is no need for Royal to have that money 75-90 days prior to our cruise. Having it added daily to our onboard account is fine. As your father said, be generous to those people who make your life better -- so we do tip additionally as appropriate to those who make our vacation a little nicer --- and there are some staff that do.

We like the auto gratuity process but what we won't do is pre-pay it with our final payment. There is no need for Royal to have that money 75-90 days prior to our cruise. Having it added daily to our onboard account is fine. As your father said, be generous to those people who make your life better -- so we do tip additionally as appropriate to those who make our vacation a little nicer --- and there are some staff that do.

Those are the two approaches. Neither is better than the other.

Want to have it taken care of before your cruise? Go ahead; do that.

Want to pay on your SeaPass account. Go ahead; do that.

Last increase was June 1, 2015, so less than a year this time.

Just a minor correction - it was July 1 (so still even less than a year):

"Effective on cruises departing on or after 1 July 2015, Royal Caribbean will automatically add a USD 12.95 gratuity, USD 15.95 for Suite guests, to each guest's SeaPass® account on a daily basis."

Just a minor correction - it was July 1 (so still even less than a year):

"Effective on cruises departing on or after 1 July 2015, Royal Caribbean will automatically add a USD 12.95 gratuity, USD 15.95 for Suite guests, to each guest's SeaPass® account on a daily basis.

I appreciate the info, I'll fix my notes.:)

We have 4 cruises booked, (total of 53 days) and did not receive any notice as of yet of the price increases. I thank everyone on CC for keeping us informed. I will probably prepay some and others use on board credit. We like to cash in our BOA credits for the tips. We also tip through out the cruise.

I hope it's a mistake or misunderstanding.

If they did do that it would be kind of sneaky. Maybe they just mean if you purchase any beverages while in the specialty restaurants. I think they've always added the 18% to that. I always thought the base gratuity was already included in the price of the specialty restaurants. That doesn't mean some can't be added, but adding 18% on top of the already recently inflated restaurant charges, that would be a lot. $45 + 18% = $53.10.

Tom

Some body has to pay for the new ships.The quantum and her sisters.Also the Oasis and her sisters.You don't think it will be Zane do you.:eek: :p

According to the FAQs the suggested gratuities raise by May 1st by 0.55 USD:

12.95 -> 13.50 (regular cabins)

15.95 -> 16.50 (suites)

Deadline for paying the old gratuties in advance is April 14th.

steamboats

Thanks for the news.

I was just adjusting some GTC orders now..

RCL :NYSE is sure mimiking the original Jefferson Nickel and Roosevelt Dime lime Line NCL NCLH :OTC

Why in Cruisings Name is RCL :NYSE becoming so like NCL?

Fools and money are easily parted as that age ole saying shows..

Is the Tipping going to be a Yearly upTrend now?

Tipping may be adjusted Up and/or Down at the Pursers Desk. On this ship it is said to be very short staffed and people have said to go in wee hours at 5 am or midnight for no lines.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

On the Pre-Paid TIPS;

OH YES, it is really only in the Parent Firms Main Interest as they have the FLOAT of the Funds in its own account.. Yes , on let me see/use the lowest amounts..

4,900 paying passengers x 13 Days.. Yes the Cruise lines so try to make you TIP that Last day too..eh.. so I will use 12 Nights here.. 4,900 x USD $13.50 x12 = USD $793,800.00 +++

(Pay on your Credit Card which gives you your own Spending Back at the End of your Cruise.. )

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::-

Thats a NICE FLoat eh..

Did you see you have to even TIP your Cabin Cooler now.. take any of the items it is now a 18% FEE too...OMG and the Bartending Robots too? (( To me thats absurd.. plain SILLY )) I guess I will act as in the County where Lynchburg, Tn. is DRY...

Do we start TIPPING the Captain too now?..LoL..

Now here is a story on what I think is the nicest Island Chain in the World and was part of our country for a while too.

Bermuda.

Did yoiu know NCL Charged n Three Taxes and FEES in it? And Bermuda , the Government only charges ONCE even if a SHip visits all Three Ports of Call?

RCL Does not pay the LOW .Gambling FEE in Bermuda. Other ship lines do and are berthed in N.Ireland , Island, Bermuda most call it kings Wharf they can play from 9 pm AST till 5 am AST.

Gambling is a personal choice mine is the markets..

" Liberty can never be a gratuity, it must always be an achievement. "

n.

1520s, "graciousness," from French gratuité (14c.) or directly from Medieval Latin gratuitatem (nominative gratuitas) "free gift," probably from Latin gratuitus "free, freely given"

noun, plural gratuities.

a gift of money, over and above payment due for service, as to a waiter or bellhop; tip.

something given without claim or demand.

British.

a bonus granted to war veterans by the government.

a bonus given military personnel on discharge or retirement.