Jump to content

re meat pies


Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Have a very happy birthday Lyle.....   are you having a nice dinner tonight ???

 

I will toast with a glass of Riesling with our salmon tonight...

 

Cheers Don

We had salmon last night Don, and we do like a nice Riesling. We had sushi for dinner quite low key.

We will probably do something a little more posh during the road trip. Maybe at the Banff Springs Hotel or Chateau Lake Louise. We would like to do lunch on the patio at Lake Louise, I took a look at the menu and it is just so chefy. I don't mind the ridiculous prices $32.00 for a burger it just seems to be a very small menu with very limited appeal. Maybe we can get a nice glass of wine and some cheese.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, kate59 said:

🎈 Happy Birthday!

     🔥      🔥      🔥

     📍      📍      📍

     📍      📍      📍

🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂

🎂🍓🎂🍓🎂🍓🎂🍓

🍓🎂🍓🎂🍓🎂🍓🎂

🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂

🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂

I am just a few days older. 

 

 

Cheers, my best friend is 3 days older than me, it's a running joke.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm glad you managed to incorporate the actual topic of the thread in your greeting😉

Got to stay on topic….I was going to wish you a Hap “pie”  Birthday..just to stay on topic. 😂😂😂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kate59 said:

That was Sunday night for us, and 2 meals frozen. Pumpkin cheap in our area at present.

Yes it has been cheap here too, so taking advantage of it. I made a pot last week with with butternut and then this week (Saturday) with kent. It was $1.50 kg. I tend to freeze some  too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Yes it has been cheap here too, so taking advantage of it. I made a pot last week with with butternut and then this week (Saturday) with kent. It was $1.50 kg. I tend to freeze some  too.

Yes I got 3 Kent from IGA last week @ 99c a kilo.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, possum52 said:

Yes it has been cheap here too, so taking advantage of it. I made a pot last week with with butternut and then this week (Saturday) with kent. It was $1.50 kg. I tend to freeze some  too.

I thought pumpkin soup only came in a can !!  Not mad on pumpkin.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

 

Cheers, my best friend is 3 days older than me, it's a running joke.

Happy Birthday young Lyle, I got 10 years on you.  My sister's birthday today, 70 she is having a 3 day party at Mooloolaba on Qld Sunshine Coast with a group of friends, I was invited but I was not allowed to cross the border.🤬

 

Enjoy your day Lyle.

Edited by NSWP
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mr walker said:

Ours comes in a sachet in a cardboard pack - just add boiling water & stir 🙂 

Good work Neil, saves all that mess, chopping up pumpkins etc.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

pumpkin soup doesn’t go to well with pies.

 

 

 

Or anything else for that matter, but Mrs G loves it so maybe I need to make her some.

Edited by GUT2407
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

pumpkin soup doesn’t go to well with pies.

 

 

 

Or anything else for that matter, but Mrs G loves it so maybe I need to make her some.

Pumpkin soup is an easy soup to make and cheap when pumpkins are inexpensive.  

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Overall   only really have one soup.....  Pea and Ham 

about to make another batch soon.

 

Don

Growing up Pea & Ham soup was a family staple in the winter months. Mum would make up a batch in a big steel pot (more like a bikkie barrel than a cooking pot) for the weekend & we would all get our fill 'til Sunday night. It was special soup that never seemed to runout - a bit more water & 30' on the heat & we were all good to go again. Good memories.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Growing up Pea & Ham soup was a family staple in the winter months. Mum would make up a batch in a big steel pot (more like a bikkie barrel than a cooking pot) for the weekend & we would all get our fill 'til Sunday night. It was special soup that never seemed to runout - a bit more water & 30' on the heat & we were all good to go again. Good memories.

Pease porridge hot, pease porridge cold. Pease porridge in the pot nine days old?

Edited by lyndarra
speelin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mr walker said:

Growing up Pea & Ham soup was a family staple in the winter months. Mum would make up a batch in a big steel pot (more like a bikkie barrel than a cooking pot) for the weekend & we would all get our fill 'til Sunday night. It was special soup that never seemed to runout - a bit more water & 30' on the heat & we were all good to go again. Good memories.

I get this one Neil, often $1.50 on special, tasty.

 

Chunky_Soup_Pea__Ham_Front-767x767.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

sorry to say Pumpkin soup.... doesn't  cut it for me......  the BH likes it........lol

 

Overall   only really have one soup.....  Pea and Ham 

about to make another batch soon.

 

Don

Save time Don

 

Chunky_Soup_Pea__Ham_Front-767x767.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pea soup is one of the few things that just don't appeal to me. I do enjoy a good butternut squash soup though. For me it's not "simple" to make, it starts by roasting the cut up squash with a middle eastern spice called raz al hanuit. From there it's pretty simple. I usually finish it in the bowl with a swirl of heavy cream.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

OXTAIL SOUP, has anyone seen that in a can in recent years? ,Used to have it as a kid, home made and in a can.  I also had it a couple of times in 2012 on P&O UK - Arcadia, Sydney to Southampton.   Oxtail Soup is a British thing. Lubbly Jubbly.

 

download.jpg

Edited by NSWP
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Pea soup is one of the few things that just don't appeal to me. I do enjoy a good butternut squash soup though. For me it's not "simple" to make, it starts by roasting the cut up squash with a middle eastern spice called raz al hanuit. From there it's pretty simple. I usually finish it in the bowl with a swirl of heavy cream.

 

I tried once a roast pumpkin soup but the flavour is just way too strong for me. I stick to old school boiling😂 but I do love adding spices. Generally I go for Thai style flavour but I have done north African style one with preserved lemons though I did add Aussie lemon myrtle. The flavour combination turned out more than I could have hoped😋

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, NSWP said:

OXTAIL SOUP, has anyone seen that in a can in recent years? ,Used to have it as a kid, home made and in a can.  I also had it a couple of times in 2012 on P&O UK - Arcadia, Sydney to Southampton.   Oxtail Soup is a British thing. Lubbly Jubbly.

 

download.jpg

 

I have made Oxtail stew many times. Love the stuff but I do it with a Chinese spice mix. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ilikeanswers said:

 

I have made Oxtail stew many times. Love the stuff but I do it with a Chinese spice mix. 

Yes, my mother used to make Oxtail Stew and Oxtail Soup, back in the 1950's and 1960's. You could buy oxtails from ye olde butcher, back then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...