RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

Going on the Mariner of the Seas for a 4 day cruise on March 2nd and booked an interior promenade view at a fairly good price.  I put in low ball offers for a  ($150)Balcony Stateroom and Spacious View Balcony. ($200). On their website the cruise was showing fully booked so I had no expectation of receiving an upgrade. Received the email today that they accepted my Balcony Stateroom offer and gave me a 6D category on the 9th deck!

Fairly happy with the outcome as this definitely saved me some money! We have been spoiled by staying in a Haven Courtyard Penthouse Suite on the NCL Epic on a med cruise and a Havana Cabana Suite on Carnival. Talked myself into the inside stateroom with a view but probably would of regretted it...glad everything worked out! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ajf830 said:

Going on the Mariner of the Seas for a 4 day cruise on March 2nd and booked an interior promenade view at a fairly good price.  I put in low ball offers for a  ($150)Balcony Stateroom and Spacious View Balcony. ($200). On their website the cruise was showing fully booked so I had no expectation of receiving an upgrade. Received the email today that they accepted my Balcony Stateroom offer and gave me a 6D category on the 9th deck!

Fairly happy with the outcome as this definitely saved me some money! We have been spoiled by staying in a Haven Courtyard Penthouse Suite on the NCL Epic on a med cruise and a Havana Cabana Suite on Carnival. Talked myself into the inside stateroom with a view but probably would of regretted it...glad everything worked out! 

We are on the same cruise and bid minimum on all of the upgrade options the day of the e-mail.  A friend of ours on the same cruise called me two days later and their minimum bid on Royal Up was already over ours, so I can only guess we are SOL.  No loss, but would have REALLY enjoyed a 2 BR :)

10 hours ago, Kenton210 said:

We are on the same cruise and bid minimum on all of the upgrade options the day of the e-mail.  A friend of ours on the same cruise called me two days later and their minimum bid on Royal Up was already over ours, so I can only guess we are SOL.  No loss, but would have REALLY enjoyed a 2 BR :)

We were really hoping to have an opportunity to bid on a JR Suite...but no luck! Time to increase your  bid $5 over your friends. :) Good luck! 

17 hours ago, Truluv said:

Congratulations! Can I ask approx. what was your successful bid?  I have one that's still pending for a Feb cruise...not optimistic, but eternally hopeful.

Yes I bid $410 for a total of $820. It is for 5 nights. So I am paying less than half of what the suite is selling for online for this date.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Now just hope the cruise is not cancelled.

Yep. Or quarantined in an Owner's suite would not be awful. I have a backup plan in place. If the cruise is cancelled, we are going to fly to Phuket and spend 5 nights there.

We are on Enchantment 5 night in 12 days in an outside cabin.  Because we used points this was almost free.  I’m guessing due to that we won’t get upgraded but I did just bid the max of $200 pp for a balcony and a weak bid for the same money on a Jr suite.  We are happy with what we have ( deck 4 near the centrum bar) but the fresh air of a balcony would be nice. We got a great rate initially on this cruise so we’d still be paying less then original price for a balcony. 

1 hour ago, Tulsacoker said:

Ok just bid max on two stateroom upgrades for Oasis cruise in April. Let’s see if these rooms are truly available 🤔

How does one really know...let's say others bid the max too, is the upgrade given to the party who bid first, or to those with the most previous cruises, or those whose original booking cost more, or.....?

We just got an upgrade from JS to Crown Loft on the 1 March Oasis sailing. We bid very close to minimum. We used Jeopardy stategy thinking we would just eclipse all the minimum bidders. I'm pretty sure I won this over other bidders who bid more. I'm very interested in what the actual algorythm is. I'm not sure if this has been debated to death in the previous 189 pages. 

I'm going to start scanning to see if I can get a clue.  

1 hour ago, goldfish65 said:

How does one really know...let's say others bid the max too, is the upgrade given to the party who bid first, or to those with the most previous cruises, or those whose original booking cost more, or.....?

It claims to take to account the price you paid for your current stateroom for your offered min/ max bid amount. I agree that no one here really knows how my max bid is evaluated compared to someone else max bid for the same upgrade room. 

Edited by Tulsacoker

I think a lot of it has to do with other bids on other cabins.   I also got upgraded to a crown loft on Oasis 3/1.  I was in a GS and bid $100 pp over the minimum.  I assume I won my bid because someone bid more for my GS.   Also they overbooked the junior suites on that sailing so that may have impacted things as well

• Like 1

I have inserted our Cruise confirmation/reservation number and last name in the ROYALUP website----every time the past 2-3 weeks, a error message pop-up occurs and says: MAKE SURE YOUR CRUISE is within 30 days............(see below)

Our cruise is within 30 days----I am signed up for RCCL marketing communications.............Does anyone know why I am getting the error pop-up message and it does not allow going forward for a bid? There are no errors in my last name or Reservation number.

I did not get an email from RCCL inviting me to bid----I am just going on the RCCL RoyalUP link and inputting my information. 

Thanks for any insights! I did purchase thru Costco Travel--that is the only thing I can think of that may be preventing me from participating?????

image.png.a9fe856fed373fad2d39922d86df153d.png

On 2/13/2020 at 4:36 PM, Pugdog007 said:

I received confirmation of a Royalupgrade today! I'm so excited! I booked a Jr Suite, upgraded to Owner's Suite on Quantum of the Seas in March!  

Same here except Anthem in March. JS to OS, so excited.

2 hours ago, Tulsacoker said:

It claims to take to account the price you paid for your current stateroom for your offered min/ max bid amount. I agree that no one here really knows how my max bid is evaluated compared to someone else max bid for the same upgrade room. 

The one think I didn’t particularly like is I was originally in a J1 Junior suite with large balcony. My original room is listed on the email as a Junior suite so my minimums were on par with a lower priced jr suite. The kicker was I could bid separately on the Grand suite & a Grand suite with large balcony (again priced higher).

😉

• Like 1

9 hours ago, goldfish65 said:

Nobody really knows the answer to this question but it seems reasonable to assume that the “value” of the room you are currently in, would play a part.  In other words, if there are people bidding on the room category you are currently booked in, your bid for a higher category room would be more attractive that someone whose current category isn’t highly sought after.

• Like 1