Judge threatens to stop Carnival ships from docking In US

voljeep

I'm sitting here with an 👁️ out for new cruise deals. Eager to gets something booked for 2021!! 

No boycott planned here. Y'all that choose to will simply free up more room for the rest of us. 

A great big thank each and every one of you!! 😀

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MissP22 said:

A few of the conservationists from California might, but the rest of the normal sailing people will still cruise just as before.

And this is what is wrong with our country - assuming that only a select few "non-normal" people in CA would even care about the environment.  I am terribly upset by this, and this is going to put a damper on my cruise this summer (for which we just finished final payment a week ago - so too late to cancel). I will probably not be cruising again - not because I think it will impact the cruise lines, because I know it won't, thanks to all you "normal" people - but because I don't want to be contributing to the harm they are doing to our precious natural resources. I really do enjoy cruising, so this is bumming me out 😞

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, MissP22 said:

A few of the conservationists from California might, but the rest of the normal sailing people will still cruise just as before.

True, just like some people won't use Roundup spray, but I do, bought a gallon of it yesterday.  As I said above, what people say and do are 2 different things.  Who will ever know what you say you're going to do and don't do but do it anyways?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, schlogee said:

And this is what is wrong with our country - assuming that only a select few "non-normal" people in CA would even care about the environment.  I am terribly upset by this, and this is going to put a damper on my cruise this summer (for which we just finished final payment a week ago - so too late to cancel). I will probably not be cruising again - not because I think it will impact the cruise lines, because I know it won't, thanks to all you "normal" people - but because I don't want to be contributing to the harm they are doing to our precious natural resources. I really do enjoy cruising, so this is bumming me out 😞

How far do you want to go with this environmental thing?  Ever been to a wastewater treatment plant and ever wonder where all the sludge comes from?  How much plastic ends up in your recycle garbage can, and do you know for sure that it is recycled in the end?  Do you dine out and see the food waste?  Even on cruise ships there's a tremendous amount of waste that occurs.  Do you drive an electric car?  Where do all those batteries end up at?  That's just for starters.  We're all polluters, we do what cows do and plenty of it!  /just saying  I'll continue to cruise and consume, we're all going to checkout one of these days.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, oskidunker said:

All Princess cares about is the bottom line. Good to know. 

As a consumer (and you too), we all have a bottom line don't we?  I know what mine is.  If it's a good deal go for it, that's my bottom line.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, schlogee said:

Sooooooo... I assume that you will no longer be driving your vehicle or heating your house, etc. due to the fact that the oil industry and the natural gas industry are "raping" the environment. Surely this must cause you at least as much distress as the foibles of the cruise industry. I, for one, salute you as you walk everywhere and pile on extra sweaters to stay warm in your house next winter. Oh! Wait!! The textile industry is also polluting the atmosphere, etc. Don't wear those extra sweaters! ACK! How can you stand to live in your house after the way the lumber industry, etc. have tormented the planet. Perhaps you should live naked under an overpass. D'Oh! The overpass was built by the highway commission using materials torn from the earth and processed in a grossly polluting plant. OMG!!!

Sheesh...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Thrak said:

Sooooooo... I assume that you will no longer be driving your vehicle or heating your house, etc. due to the fact that the oil industry and the natural gas industry are "raping" the environment. Surely this must cause you at least as much distress as the foibles of the cruise industry. I, for one, salute you as you walk everywhere and pile on extra sweaters to stay warm in your house next winter. Oh! Wait!! The textile industry is also polluting the atmosphere, etc. Don't wear those extra sweaters! ACK! How can you stand to live in your house after the way the lumber industry, etc. have tormented the planet. Perhaps you should live naked under an overpass. D'Oh! The overpass was built by the highway commission using materials torn from the earth and processed in a grossly polluting plant. OMG!!!

Sheesh...

I feel like so many of you are missing the point - yes, everything we do in our lives contributes to some form of pollution.  And I realize cruise ships have to deal with waste and dispose of it - but the fact that they intentionally violated known procedures, and in Glacier Bay of all places - that is the problem!  Are you just going to go take a dump in your local park?  No, because it is illegal, and there is a proper place for it - but the cruise lines are choosing to break the laws and I guess that doesn't seem to matter to many of you. I guess that is the theme of our times though, everyone thinks they are above the law....

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, schlogee said:

but the cruise lines are choosing to break the laws and I guess that doesn't seem to matter to many of you. I guess that is the theme of our times though, everyone thinks they are above the law....

Just like the other industries I mentioned break the law and don't give a damn unless they get caught. I'm not in favor of any of them breaking the law and polluting but I won't be getting all self-righteous about one industry while ignoring the flaws of others.

As for a pending "ban" of ships being allowed to port in the US... I'm not at all certain the judge has the legal authority to make a ruling that would have such a catastrophic impact on so many other businesses and so many people's livelihood. Even if the judge did make such an incredibly damaging (to the US economy) decision I'm certain it would be appealed and I highly doubt any "ban" would be enforced while the appeal was in progress. It seems that judges, like some politicians, are prone to make sweeping threats that they will be unable to carry out in the real world.

Dang, I was doing so well at leaving this thread alone until now.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 3

Carnival Corp brands have 19 ships in Alaska this summer. Loss of all those cruisers would really hurt many in the Alaska tourist industry.

And of course the vacation plans for close to a million booked passengers would go up in smoke.

• Like 1

Got to decide whether to keep or cancel 3 Princess cruises ,soon  .We are flying back from Florida to our home in San Diego  today ,April16th .

Problem is if that judge does ban CCL ships from all  American ports  ,it may be too late to get refunds . CCL can appeal it  ;but ,a Federal judge has a lot of power . We have well over $7000   of exposure . Decisions decisions ??

4 hours ago, caribill said:

Carnival Corp brands have 19 ships in Alaska this summer. Loss of all those cruisers would really hurt many in the Alaska tourist industry.

You are assuming that people in Alaska relish the cruise industry.  Having lived in Alaska and Hawaii I know many residents do not like cruise ships coming to town and they do not really contribute that much to local economy because Princess controls much of the local options when they dock.  One of the common things I have witnessed about many cruisers is that they believe the world would not exist if they did not.  Cruising is basically about consuming food and destinations and not for the meaningful benefits of locals.

I, too, lived for years in Alaska.   If anyone believes that Alaska Tourism will not be severely hurt by losing out on the tens of thousands of cruise ship tourists spending dollars in their communities, you need to re-evaluate.  Two things Alaskans depend on for maintaining their standard of living...the fishing industry and tourism!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Got to decide whether to keep or cancel 3 Princess cruises ,soon  .We are flying back from Florida to our home in San Diego  today ,April16th .

Problem is if that judge does ban CCL ships from all  American ports  ,it may be too late to get refunds . CCL can appeal it  ;but ,a Federal judge has a lot of power . We have well over $7000   of exposure . Decisions decisions ??

If the judge bans CCL ships from US ports, your cruises will have to be cancelled. Refunds should not be an issue.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

If the judge bans CCL ships from US ports, your cruises will have to be cancelled. Refunds should not be an issue.

Refunds for the cruise fare may not be an issue, but other fee refunds probably would. I don't see the airlines being willing to refund airfares or waive change fees just because CCL has been hit with such a court ruling. 

2 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Refunds for the cruise fare may not be an issue, but other fee refunds probably would. I don't see the airlines being willing to refund airfares or waive change fees just because CCL has been hit with such a court ruling. 

Do you not think that the corporation would have to offer compensation for such expenses? After all the cancellation would be a direct result of actions taken/not taken by the corporation.

• Like 1

Something is a bit strange with all this.  Just look at CCL stock.  If there was much substance to this issue, the stock would have reacted more than it did.  Complain, boycott, blame mgmt, whatever, but  as of today anyway, it's been a blip on the screen.. if that.  Somehow I wonder if this is a grandstanding judge or did CCL really not change their ways.  From my past experiences, outside looking in will frequently paint a far different picture than inside looking out.  And that applies to almost any boundary that one wants to set.

19 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

I'm sitting here with an 👁️ out for new cruise deals. Eager to gets something booked for 2021!! 

No boycott planned here. Y'all that choose to will simply free up more room for the rest of us. 

A great big thank each and every one of you!! 😀

Ha!  My sentiments exactly!

• Like 2

I spoke with my PCP yesterday (btw, December 2019 cruise prices dropped and still has the obc! If you haven't checked pricing for a while, now might be the time!) and she said Corporate handed out a memo on the matter stating (in effect) to reassure clients that they will do every thing asked of them to be in compliance with the judge's requests and that pax have nothing to worry about.  😉

2 hours ago, broberts said:

Do you not think that the corporation would have to offer compensation for such expenses? After all the cancellation would be a direct result of actions taken/not taken by the corporation.

I don't know whether they would have to compensate or not, we'd have to look at the case law and precedents. Obviously, if the court orders it, or CCL has a legal obligation, such as with EZAir flight bookings, then of course yes. Otherwise, I am not sure CCL would be formally obligated. There have been recent cases where cruise ships have suffered "chargeable" breakdowns resulting in short term cancellations, it would interesting to know whether, in such cases, the cruise line was formally obligated to reimburse passengers for third-party, independently arranged, airline cancellation expenses. 

1 hour ago, MishelleMcc said:

nothing to worry about.  😉

Precisely right as evidenced by calm reaction from Wall Street analysts, Carnival shareholders and public at large.

Edited by sfaaa
  • Like 1

Just saw this news pop up - lots more details about what transpired and a link to the full report is provided too:  https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article229285319.html?fbclid=IwAR3rNzvLPDSipKepahIfxoO8dptu4Uy0pS6b73HOlgQay6vM57m_gKzDwRQ

Edited to add:  this is a direct link to the list of actual issues found over the the time period covered by the report - 835 lines worth:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ERS2c_Kn4m9Ov4DfmzThkWF2YAkMfrCer6ePPklWaqE/edit#gid=0 

Edited by azbirdmom