Concerned

gngrbas

My husband and I are first time cruisers set to sail on the Ruby Princess July 13th.  We were referred to Princess by a trusted family friend, but after reading some of the reviews - I'm extrememly concerned.  We paid a pretty penny and saved a long time and are hoping for a positive memoriable experience.  Someone enlighten me - we are on the LIdo Deck . .  ??? WE KNOW NOTHING.  Embarking - Disembarking???? Lots of friends have said to arrive early and we can tour the ship, however, according to a great majority of reviews - the ship is old, out dated, and the staff isn't friendly.  Please put my mind at ease and tell me (truthfully) that it's going to be alright. . . . please.🙄

Welcome to Cruise Critic!  Have you signed into the Princess website and found your cruise?  You should have been there to input information your passport and other information.  That is also the place where you need to access to print your boarding pass, luggage tags, travel summary and all the information you'll need to make it to the ship on time.  Hope you have a nice cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ruby was launched in 2008.  Some people consider a ship launched last year old, because there is a newer one to sail on.  11 years is not old.  20 years, yes - older.  Cruise lines have a lot invested in their ships, and they don't let them go to seed because a newer one came along.  This is your first cruise.  It is YOUR experience, not a reflection of someone else's experience.  EM

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

First, welcome to Cruise Critic!

Ruby is a beautiful ship and we have sailed on her twice. 

Princess is a good cruise line for first timers.  There are not any slides or hairy chests contests. What you will experience on Princess cruises is a decent quality of services and food. 

I think you are going to be awed as you become a cruiser.

Enjoy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ease your worried mind. The Ruby is a beautiful ship. You will have a blast. Everyone will be super friendly and helpful. The Lido deck is the highest deck that cabins are on. The pools, buffet restaurant, outdoor grill and movie screen are all on the Lido. So you won't be far from all that. Downside is that you may have higher foot traffic outside your room than the lower decks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Post no. 3 reminds you to enter all your immigration information into the cruise personlizer and print your boarding passes. Do you have your passports in order or your WHTI travel documents? Have you booked any port tours either with Princess in the cruise personlizer or with private tour companies? The passports or WHTI documents are most important. You can not board without proper documents. Assuming you are ready to go don't worry about what you have read. People have negative things to say about everything.

The Ruby Princess is a great ship and your cabin is in a nice location to access viewing, and other top deck venues. You asked about embarking and disembarking. If you can arrive at the pier around 10:30am. The porters will take your luggage which will be delivered to your cabin later in the day. Bring your important items like meds in your carry ons. Speaking about medicine don't forget to bring motion sickness pills. You never know if you will hit rocky seas. If you feel any uncomfort due to the motion take a pill right away. Motion sickness meds are preventative and do not work after you get sick. You will be checked in and assigned to a boarding group. Boarding begins around 11:30 with priority boarders followed by all others in order of arrival at the pier. Once boarding begins it goes very quickly. If you are flying in the day of the cruise you will board when you get there providing it is after 11:30. 

Disembarkation: A few days into your voyage you will receive a questionnaire in your cabin. Request the disembarkation you want. If you don't get the time you want just visit passenger services. Note: all passengers must disembark by around 9:30 to 10:00am.

You are visiting Skagway, Jueanu, Ketchikan, Victoria as well as Glacier Bay. These are great ports.

Make sure you pack layered clothing. It can be warm or cool in Alaska.

Read the Princess Patter each day it will be in your cabin. It has all the activities and times. Watch out for activities that are basically sales talks. These are mainly by the Spa and some of the on board shops.

While it is possible that you will find a staff member that isn't as friendly as you may like this is not the norm. Princess employees are very friendly and accommodating.

Note all the free dining choices. Main Dining Rooms, International Cafe, Horizon Ct. Buffet, Slices, Salty Dog Grill, Room Service (limited menu), Pub Lunch on the sea day. If you board early enough one of the dining rooms will be open for lunch probably to 1:00pm but maybe until 1:30.

For theater production shows arrive 30 minutes early for seating. Mid evening shows are most crowded.

There will be more to do than you can handle. Don't try to do everything, and just have a good time.

Hope this is helpful

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gngrbas said:

My husband and I are first time cruisers set to sail on the Ruby Princess July 13th.  We were referred to Princess by a trusted family friend, but after reading some of the reviews - I'm extremely concerned.  We paid a pretty penny and saved a long time and are hoping for a positive memorable experience.  Someone enlighten me - we are on the Lido Deck . .  ??? WE KNOW NOTHING.  Embarking - Disembarking???? 

As mentioned, it's time to fill out your Personalizer on Princess.com. Print your boarding passes and get packed. Don't put your passport/boarding pass in your checked luggage.

You'll receive an email from Princess with an "assigned" boarding time. You can ignore that (if you wish).

You'll receive instructions for disembarking a couple of days before the end of the cruise.

When you pack for getting OFF the ship...keep the clothes you plan on wearing hanging in the closet (you DON'T want to get off the ship in your jammies 😵). Keep your passport handy, too. You can print air boarding passes in the "internet cafe" for a small fee (if you don't pay for internet for the whole trip).

You can tip over & above the amount in the auto gratuities...It's your choice. Put the $$ in an envelope with your name & cabin # on it and hand it to whoever you're tipping. They don't object to $$, but are REALLY happy if you do a comment card to tell how wonderful they are.

Lots of places to eat on the ship...all included except for a couple of Specialty Restaurants ($39 per person) and the Crab Shack ($29?). There can be others depending on the ship.

I think Lido deck is a great location - close to the pools and most of the food.😉

We were on the Ruby in January (our 2nd on this ship) and it was fine.

Take the reviews that trash the ship with a giant dose of salt. Some people just like to complain...I saw RUST!, why don't they wash windows?, the crew wasn't friendly.

Ships rust, the crew is constantly sanding, scraping & painting.

Wash the windows at sea? With more water hitting the windows 10 minutes later?

Crew members that aren't smiling and friendly get reported and are off the ship (sometimes at the next port). They DO NOT want that to happen. If they get fired, getting home is on their dime...regardless of where they are.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You need to spend more time reading posts here on the board about embarkation,  disembarkation and general Princess questions.  The Ruby is a great ship and you'll most likely have such a good time, you'll want to do it all over again.  Go with a good attitude and it'll make a fantastic cruise.  🏝️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have just completed our first ocean cruise on a Princess ship.  Like you, we were anxious about what we should know ahead of time, especially embarkation and disembarkation protocols.  What we learned was that these protocols are guided.  You don't have to master them before you arrive at the pier.  There will be signage to help you with embarkation.  Port staff are awaiting your arrival.  They have anticipated everything!  (Just remember you will go through security, so don't load your pockets with items you will have to remove for the scanner, and be prepared to remove your shoes.)  Once through the security line, you will be astonished at how swiftly and easily you will locate your cabin!  Princess staff are there to guide, so you will have a hassle-free embark.  The flip side (disembarkation) will also be guided.  Ambiguities will dissipate like fogs at sea under a dazzling sun.   

Edited by riversights
subject-verb agreement
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

You will have a great time. There are far too many complainers on this site and others, always willing to spread their unhappiness to anyone willing to listen. My wife and I have been on many Princess cruises including the Ruby and have always thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I am very sure you will enjoy yourself as well. My best advice is to disregard the naysayers. The biggest problem (if it is a problem at all) is cruising is very addictive.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have never sailed on the Ruby but I have sailed on many Princess ships and I have never thought the ship hadn’t been taken care of. Just 6 months ago I sailed on the Pacific Princess, one of the oldest ships, and everything was great.

Just like some others have said, take the complaints with a grain of salt. Go on your cruise with a positive attitude and I’m sure you will have a great time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

gngrbas,

I was actually browsing on my phone and took the time to open up my laptop so I could type more (and do it more quickly).

First, welcome to Cruise Critic.

Second, you are going to have a FANTASTIC time.  The Ruby is absolutely gorgeous ship and a summer time cruise to Alaska is a fantastic adventures.  As for the negative reviews, there are a lot of people who like to complain.  We are loyal Princess cruisers and I am confident in saying you will find the ship to be very well maintained, clean and filled with friendly and helpful staff.  Do not worry much about embarkation or disembarkation, in fact don't worry about much of anything except getting yourself and your luggage to the pier and being ready to have fun.  Everywhere you go, in the terminal and onboard there are staff, lots of them, to help guide you through the process.  Expect to have your embarkation involve security (like the airport, but not as stringent) and a check-in at a desk where they will give you your cruise card (which is your room key and onboard charge card) along with a map and a boarding pass.  When your boarding group is called you will walk onboard and as soon as you enter the ship you are going to realize just how much you worried for nothing.  After that, start exploring, eating, drinking, making new friends and relaxing.

Seriously, you are going to have such a great time and everyone who works on the ship is there to make your cruise fantastic.  Don't hesitate to ask questions, ask for help or ask for directions.

I am envious of you and your first time experience.  My first cruise was over 25 years ago and it started a life-long love of traveling on the ocean.

Have fun and write us about your experiences when you get back!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

BTW: if you enjoy the cruise and want to do another one, be sure to buy a Future Cruise Deposit (FCD). $100 pp. Our last cruise we bought 4 each and quickly used them up.😳

You can only buy them on the ship for full benefit onboard credit (OBC). 

Also, if either of you are active, retired or veterans. Do a Google search and download the form/information you need and send it in ASAP. OBC again!!

We've had as much as $1000 OBC to spend.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Take comments and reviews with a grain of salt.

2 people on the same cruise can have a totally different experience.

Go on the cruise and have a great time.

The Ruby is a beautiful ship.  

I agree. We did the Ruby a year ago June (a similar itinerary) with family and had no problems related to crew or the boat.

Enjoy, this is a great itinerary!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We cruised Ruby last fall. Had a fantastic cruise. Loved the ship. Love being able to escape up to Adagio during the day to read where it's comfy and quiet. There's also a mostly unused (unknown?) outer deck area right behind Adagio. We would be happy to sail Ruby any time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Since you've already been told how to tip extra there is the other side of it. The gratuity is suggested amounts and you can adjust them up or DOWN at guest services. As to your concerns about the Ruby, it is just as good as any other ship, new isn't always better and old isn't always outdated. I would look to see what is above your cabin because if you're all the way forward the gym will be noisy above you with thread mills and excersise equipment being used. Closer to the elevators would be quietier.

• Thanks 1

My wife and I have been on the Ruby three times, all Mexican Riviera cruises.  Our last cruise on the Ruby was six months ago.  She and her sisters are my favorite ships.

The cruise experience is wonderful.  As a newbie, you will be overwhelmed with how fantastic it is.  

Some people love to complain.  So let them enjoy themselves without infecting you!  Yes, sometimes the bacon is too crisp (or not crisp enough).  Sometimes, you want a blueberry muffin and they are serving other muffins (and Danish and sweet rolls and the list goes on).  So grab a Danish.  Or some fruit.  Or a bagel.  Or French toast.  Or pancakes.   There will be a lot of other choices!

The cruise staff are exceptional.  Very eager to please.  Friendly.  Warm.  You will interact mostly with your cabin steward.  If you are traditional dining, you will have the same waitstaff for dinner every night.  These are the most important staff for me.  [A lot of people have their favorite bartenders.]   Some of the cruise staff are also important -- if you like the Trivia Games, the Bingo, etc., the kids who run those become people you spend time with.  I get to know some of the musicians on most of my cruises, and sometimes I see ones I know from prior cruises.

We have virtually no contact with the actual ship crew.  They are busy with their work.

When you go to the buffet on Lido deck and you see your dining room staff, they will smile and greet you, and ask how your day is going.  Sometimes, they will let you know what the featured item is for dinner that night, just to give you a more personal interaction -- "don't be late tonight, the head waiter is going to be specially preparing a ______."  

The food, the entertainment, the entire package is there for you to enjoy!  So relax already, and enjoy!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Think of your favorite restaurant. Or your favorite movie. Or your favorite whatever. Then look up reviews on it. SOMEONE (if not multiple someones) is likely going to have something negative to say about it. Some of them may totally trash it, even though you know that your experience with it was superb. People like to complain. They like to feel superior or special because they’re a “critic” of something. People who are satisfied don’t often take the time to share their feelings of satisfaction with the world — complainers do.

If cruising was so awful, nobody would cruise. There wouldn’t be repeat cruisers. Heck, if it was so awful, those complainers wouldn’t keep going back to the same cruise line again and again!

You’re going to have a fabulous time. I still remember our first Princess cruise and how pampered and indulged we felt. It was amazing, relaxing, and fun. Yes, there were some low points, but overall it was fantastic, and we have cruised several times since. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Dani24 said:

If cruising was so awful, nobody would cruise. There wouldn’t be repeat cruisers. Heck, if it was so awful, those complainers wouldn’t keep going back to the same cruise line again and again!

Gets my vote for the most succinct and best response. 

Spot on, Dani24!!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

There are many old time cruisers who post here and some, not all, of them are very bitter about the changes in cruising since "The Good Old Days." The cruise ship companies are trying to hold the line on cruise fares and must out of necessity cuhingst some things while charging for some other things. This has been branded as "Nickle and Diming" by those who remember when such things were free. However, if on the other hand, the lines include the former perks and freebies but raise fares to reflect that, the very same old timers would lose their minds in Cruise Critic forums and reviews. It is a no-win - no-win situation.

One way to read critical reviews is to follow "Doug's Law of Reviews" :

1. Throw out the everything is great review and the worst cruise/ship ever reviews. The truth lies in between.
  2. The passenger who had one or two things not go their way will magnify everything they find wrong. For example: If after their particular negative incident they spot wine that was spilled a few minutes before that wasn't magically cleaned instantly becomes "The carpet was stained and dirty." If a couple of workers pushing carts don't smile at them becomes "The staff was cold and unfriendly." You get the idea.

Hope the OP has a great cruise.

Edited by Doug R.